Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
Dodge
i like to be stroked

Default trick of the trade

i thought i could start a trick of the trade thread to help thoes who dont know that much but want to learn.

welding tip . if welding a thin section to thick section , aim the gun at thicker steel weaving slightly down to the thinner steel, this will give penetration on thick plate without putting to much heat and blowing thru thin plate. Also you can hold a backing plate of brass ect on thin gauge steel to stop blowing thru when tacking or welding. always disconnect battery and remove flamable liquids and dont wear nylon ( footy socks, track pants) they will melt to ur skin.
Old 20-01-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
Also you can hold a backing plate of brass ect on thin gauge steel to stop blowing thru when tacking or welding.
Neat tip, I always thought it was because I'm crap with a welder!!!!

Let me know if you need any tips for database tuning.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 04:10 AM   #3
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also you can hold a backing plate of brass ect on thin gauge steel to stop blowing thru when tacking or welding
aluminium will also work well

another welding tip: when welding vertical downs on thicker material, usea 'pulsing' motion to keep your arc in front of the pool to ensure good penetration...explanation: start your weld, then once arc has been struck move slightly faster than the pool to get in front where you can see your arc penetrating the metal, slow up a bit now and let the pool catch up, then move ahead of it again. When i say ahead, its only slightly ahead, not 50mm! All the while keep your weave motion going.

its hard to explain, and takes a bit of practice, but it ensures a good penetrative weld on your vertical down.
Old 21-01-2005, 04:15 AM   #4
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Public Transport tip: don't use it because it suxs in Sydney.
Old 21-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Great idea for a thread!

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
250 PURSUIT
CRAZY TYPHOON DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
aluminium will also work well

another welding tip: when welding vertical downs on thicker material, usea 'pulsing' motion to keep your arc in front of the pool to ensure good penetration...explanation: start your weld, then once arc has been struck move slightly faster than the pool to get in front where you can see your arc penetrating the metal, slow up a bit now and let the pool catch up, then move ahead of it again. When i say ahead, its only slightly ahead, not 50mm! All the while keep your weave motion going.

its hard to explain, and takes a bit of practice, but it ensures a good penetrative weld on your vertical down.
Or buy a pulse mig welder from me! :
250 PURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always use comments when programming software as its a pain in the **** going back over someones code when they have funked something up and they have not commented anything. LOL.
Old 21-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
paul7v7
bring it on

when coding name your variables, functions, classes, etc as something relevant. for example do not initialise a variable as 'a'. what the hell does 'a' do?

also with coding, until you know that a change has worked properly don't delete previous code. just comment it out.

for networking, always make sure you label the cable. in other words where it is from.

Last edited by paul7v7; 21-01-2005 at 10:44 AM.
paul7v7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #9
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Public Transport tip: don't use it because it suxs in Sydney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul7v7
when coding name your variables, functions, classes, etc as something relevant. for example do not initialise a variable as 'a'. what the hell does 'a' do?

A tip from the Slothmeister:

When using small garden clippers to cut old palm leaves into clippings for mulch, ensure that your naughty finger is not between the blades when they come together for the snip.

Another tip from the Slothmeister:

When modding your Xbox, make sure you disconnect the power cable so that you don't get zapped when you accidentally touch something in the power supply.
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
When modding your Xbox, make sure you disconnect the power cable so that you don't get zapped when you accidentally touch something in the power supply.

You shouldn't be 'modding' your xbox anyway ;)
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Pace Bowling:
When attempting to get swing with the ball in cricket, bowl the ball with the seam upright. It takes practice however it will come if you work hard enough. To get outswing (to a right-handed batsman) hold the ball so that the shined side of the ball is facing to the right - this is because the ball swings away from the shined side. Vice-versa for in-swing. Also attempt to bowl with a fuller length delivery so as to give more time for the ball to swing in the air. Bowling with a more upright arm action will enhance the swing of the ball, as opposed to bowling with a round-arm action which usually doesn't allow for the ball to swing as much, if at all.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old 21-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #12
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
A tip from the Slothmeister:

When using small garden clippers to cut old palm leaves into clippings for mulch, ensure that your naughty finger is not between the blades when they come together for the snip.

Another tip from the Slothmeister:

hehe, nice tips their slothmeister... : : :nutsycuck
Old 21-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #13
NZ
~~~

Tip: 1/2 inch socket is a much better fit than a 13mm

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
mickey t

Quote:
i thought i could start a trick of the trade thread to help thoes who dont know that much but want to learn.
Great idea. I'll toss one in (facetiously) from my area of expertise. when spelling the word "those", it's best to ensure the "e" follows on from the "s".

cheers
mt
mickey t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #15
mickey t

Oh, and don't squat with your spurs on.

and don't eat yellow snow.

one that gets up my goat a bit (and i hope you pardon my sometimes sloppy post spelling and, particularly, capping of letters, because i always do these things in a hurry) with the written word is the use of apostrophes.

they shouldn't be bunged in anywhere the letter "s" follows a word. something like "johns", for example, can mean a few different things. with an apostrophe (eg john's), it means it's possessive. that's (eg, that is) john's car, for example.

if there's no apostrophe (johns), it just means there are a few people or things called john.

if the car belongs to this gathering of johns, it should be "that's the johns' car" (eg, the plural comes first, then the possessive).

See? Simple.
mickey t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
Hawk
I am The Brain!

I am also one who gets annoyed at punctuation and spelling mickey t....however it is a public forum and you pretty much have to expect that it is not going to be perfect (or even passable) english a lot of the time. Heck, sometimes it is not even English!

Old 21-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #17
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

My welding Tip...
Surface prepartion is MOST IMPOORTANT..
Always fully tac weld the job before you start doing stiches and beads.
Once you have the job tac weld, a few clamps or even better a jig help reduce any distortion.
Always try and weld diagonal and oposite to your last bead to reduced distortion.
When working with thinner guage metals always weld with a rag and quench bucket nearby. Do a tac or two, or a small stitch then quench the surrounding area to reduce the heat, this quick cooling causes the metal to contract back closer to original size.****If doing replacement panels or rust on a car have some compressed air handy to blow away any left over water.

When welding with a TIG, always keep your electrode sharp

When dressing welds for polishing, use a flat panel hammer with a slight chamfered edge NOT a ball pein. THe radius on surface of a ball pein hammer cause dints
Always try and dress onto a suitable dolly, don't just bash it here and there...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey t
Oh, and don't squat with your spurs on.

and don't eat yellow snow.

one that gets up my goat a bit (and i hope you pardon my sometimes sloppy post spelling and, particularly, capping of letters, because i always do these things in a hurry) with the written word is the use of apostrophes.

they shouldn't be bunged in anywhere the letter "s" follows a word. something like "johns", for example, can mean a few different things. with an apostrophe (eg john's), it means it's possessive. that's (eg, that is) john's car, for example.

if there's no apostrophe (johns), it just means there are a few people or things called john.

if the car belongs to this gathering of johns, it should be "that's the johns' car" (eg, the plural comes first, then the possessive).

See? Simple.
And the ultimate faux par.
It is "two rums and coke" not "two rum and cokes" aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #19
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

When drawing anything, hold the picture up to a mirror after completing each stage of scaffolding to ensure that perspective is correct.

Also with coding: after recoding the bung sectionand commenting out the shithouse code, don't do the M$ thing and include it in the final release. This is known as 'bloatware'. Windows XP is a prime example of this. (As is OS X in comparison with anything < System 9 ;))
Old 21-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #20
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

If you're ever involved in a motor vehicle accident, whether you KNOW it's your fault or not, always remain very neutral when you're on the scene talking to other drivers or the police. If you hop out of your car, run to the other person and say "shit, sorry mate!" or words to that effect, that can be construed as an admission of liability.

In all things, think THEN speak.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Only if you want it in one glass. 2 rum and cokes is fine if you want two drinks, each with rum and coke. Now, if you order 2 rums and cokes, I would expect you to end up with four drinks.

Now, a tip from my area of expertise. If you are going to claim to be a jack of all trades, don't get too specific about any particular part of any of the trades you are a jack of. Best to keep it general!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #22
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

When you're on holidays up north, remember that a schooner is your friend, not a boat.
Old 21-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #23
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
..or "I have two Brothers-in-law...not two Brother-in-laws"

Old 21-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #24
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Keep a good relationship with your IT Support staff at work. Be friendly and polite and when you have a problem with your computer (as you no doubt will eventually) we will help you as best we can.

Also understand that although your work is "urgent", if you have a problem with your computer and we have a problem with a server... your down the bottom of the list as far of priority goes - so be patient

Last edited by BlueRaven; 21-01-2005 at 02:34 PM.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Only if you want it in one glass. 2 rum and cokes is fine if you want two drinks, each with rum and coke. Now, if you order 2 rums and cokes, I would expect you to end up with four drinks.
Hate to be pedantic, but as long as you wish to use english as the language with which you are ordering your drinks "two rum and cokes" is incorrect grammer.
It is, however, colloquial venacular and as such is commonly understood by the bar staff as a requirement to purchase two drinks each with created with a rum like substance and some black sticky stuff from a postmix tap.

Do you ask for "two schooners of hahn" or "two schooner of hahns" ?
How about two "corona with lemons" maybe or "two scotch with ices" even?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #26
FordFan86
meow

This really is a funny read watching people arguing grammar etc. I think I will stay out of this one ;)
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #27
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

When purchasing a vehicle......never....ever.....tell the salesperson what your budget is and never tell them how much you can afford a week in finance. Oh and work hard and be good to your mother.
Old 21-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #28
nutrok4

don't be nosey and always try to know everything about everyone around
if people want you to know something they will tell you

also when welding over-head wear a flame-retardent hat unless you like to have a burnt head and lots of hair falling out
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #29
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

when trying to pick up chicks, make sure your pick up lines don't contain the words "chloroform" or "van" :P
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #30
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

From my profession: (cough splutter cough)
Pull weeds/grass out of your gutters, it will ensure that water flows freely through them, and when swept they will get cleaned. Not just have dirt/pieces of grass thrown into them. Also ensure that the edges of your lawns dont hang into the gutter, as they form a web and trap dirt etc and make it really hard for water to pass through them, and my street sweeper brooms.

Also!
When buying anything make sure it is exactly what you need.

When buying a 2nd hand car, to get a rough price of what it is worth get a price for one that would be in pristine condition, and then subtract from that what needs to be done to the one you are purchasing. ie. Panel Damage, rego, roadworthy, rust etc
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.

Last edited by klawsterfobik; 21-01-2005 at 07:05 PM.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post