Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Default UTE lugs

I'm in need of infomation on how to reatach the lugs that are used by the soft tauno for attachment.
i currently have the little bullets in there, bu tneed to put the lugs back in for a few weeks.
they were origionall pop riveted in i think?
has anynoe got the size of the rivets used?

Thanks, ORB>

Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

sorry cant help you with sizes , i think i know what your on about , if you look at the small billets rivets in there now , u'll see in the centre the crimped part , use a drill piece excactelly the same size of the width of the crimped stud in the centre ( or a drill piece a tad larger , any smaller than the stud and ull get the head of the rivet stuck on ya drill bit , nd , but just un-nessasery work to get the head of the rivet it off ya drill bit ) , drill the top of it off carefully , should be able to remove the old studs like that , then use stainless steel pot rivets ( imo - stronger than standard alloy ones , especially for a tarp with tension on the lugs, they dont corode either ) to re-attatch the lugs , use a pot rivet about 1mm max 'smaller' in diameter than the original hole left , crimp slowly , squeezing crimping tool handle bit by bit , pump it slowly sorta' , dont just whack the handle down all the way in 1 hit with the rivet gun as you could crack the paintwork from to much tension in 1 hit on the rivet ..gl ..i think this is what ya was on about , hope it help a bit .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Yeah matey definately just pop riveted on there. They are fair size rivets but the exact size i could tell you. Ring any pannel shop they will tell you. We do heaps of them.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

thanks guys might just even ge teth panel shop to do it if it's like 10min worth.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

yeah wouldn't take long , allthough imo i'de ask them to use stainless steel rivets if your gonna get it done in a shop (they prolly use normal alloy rivets otherwise) , might cost a few $$ more ( not much ) , but definatelly worth it in looks , strength/durability , and long lastingness without lugs snapping off or corrossion .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

u can get tonnaeu cover clip kits and things from supercheap.. just ask in store (i work in the supercheap warehouse and remmeber seeing them pass me by day to day)
Old 31-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Give your nearest Autopro a try they usually stock bits for the "Tuff Tonneaus" brand which include rivets and the little cotton reels, fairly cheap too.
Or you can get the genuine rivets part # W-709337-S303, list price $2.20 ea bit pricy though.
Regards
Tim
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post