Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default AU Ghia driving lights?

I'm looking to add driving lights to my AUIII F/Ghia.

Is there an available factory driving light (or I suppose an aftermarket pair) that will neatly fit into the front bumper where the fluted plastic covers are in the attached pic (to the bottom right and left of the number plate)?

If so, is the wiring tucked up behind there somewhere?

Thanks...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I bought Hella FF75 Comets ( I think that's the ones).
The are a flat style driving lamp (also come as a fog lamp as well ... which is what I got).

Territory and Falcon uses FF50 Comets ... from memory.
They are a nice light ... the flat style fog light I bought fits perfectly in the lower section of the front bar on the AU.

Will put a product pic up soon.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Here are the FF75 Comets that I bought ... available in both Driving and fog
http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catal...er&flrecid=715

BA Falcon and Territory use FF200 Comets
Old 27-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

fairly certain there are no factory lights for here and there arent too many aftermarkets that fit nicely in there. i beleive mechan1k has a set of hella lights he says fit pretty well in there. ive just got sum 80mm rounds just on the insides of the plastics but im looking at changing them. the pic is a bit dark but you get the idea

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

haha mechan1k must type faster than me :

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 27-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

That's OK man ... how bright are yours Ken.
I just want them to pick up cats eyes and lines on the road in the fog (gets bad out past Richmond of a morning and my low beams are too bright for fog driving.)

I still haven't fitted mine yet ... I am too lazy ... I need a bigger positive terminal clamp on my battery ... I have about 8 things connected to it ... LOL
Old 27-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
That's OK man ... how bright are yours Ken.
I just want them to pick up cats eyes and lines on the road in the fog (gets bad out past Richmond of a morning and my low beams are too bright for fog driving.)

I still haven't fitted mine yet ... I am too lazy ... I need a bigger positive terminal clamp on my battery ... I have about 8 things connected to it ... LOL
mine are 55w. that pic i have them on with the park lights. ive put a switch in the cab and wired them into the parks i think so i can have them on with parks, low beam and high. i think they are a bit bright for fogs lights but they're probably just a tiny bit duller than my lows

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 27-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Mine are 55w as well ... the main thing is they are much lower than normal headlights for fog usage ... and they should be wired up to parking lights with a switch (I will be anyway).

Sometimes I wish I had them fitted ... cos some mornings I really hate using low-beams in the fog ... it reflects back too much.

Only problem with mine is they use a white globe in the fog light ... I am trying to find a yellow globe though ... I'd prefer yellow over white for a foglight ... but so far have been finding it difficult in locating a yellow H3 55w globe ... hmmmm ... wonder if Hella make a yellow cover for mine (I doubt it though)
Old 27-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

thanks for the info, guys.

Also the Hella website is very helpful.

Reminds me that in the 1970's my brother and I used to get 60% (yes, sixty percent) discount from Repco at Liverpool (Syd).

At the time, my wife's father was one of the big noises at Hella in Sydney and he organised our discount with the store manager (who just happened to be keen on my wife's sister).

It's who you know, not what you know
Old 28-03-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

hahahaha .... damn it would be good to get those discounts again ...
Old 28-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #11
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
hahahaha .... damn it would be good to get those discounts again ...
Y'know I don't rem any other spare parts/accessories shops from the 60's and 70's. No Supercheaps or Autobarn or whomever.
There must have been some but I guess that a 60% discount tells me that there was not a lot of competition in those days.
Old 28-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

I've been thinking about doing this too, just got 1 question tho...whats the difference between Driving Lamps and Fog Lamps?
Sorry to jack your thread Ron but I'm just thinking about the legalities over here I got this quote from L.T.S.A

Quote:
On the road

Fog lamps should only be used when visibility is severely reduced, eg by snow or fog. It is against the law to use fog lamps in clear conditions (day or night) as they can dazzle other road users.
:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

ok huge differnece between driving and fog lamps.
total lumen output for driving lamps is high to enable you to see as much as possible as far as possible etc etc. ie power ful light. and idealy set as high as possible
Fog lights are more about being seen and not about seeing, you want them set as low as possible, for a numbe rof reasons, 1 being the lower they are the less light is reflected back to your eyes from teh fog (big powerful lights = lots of reflection back into your eyes form the fog so you want max 55watts of halogen, number 2 theroretically fog doesn't sit on the ground.....note theoretically.....so mounting them low will enable the light to pass under hte fog so it can be seen buy oncoming traffic more easily...

if you want more info on lights PM me.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I think fog lights are not allowed to be more than 55watt per lamp anyway.

One good thing about fog lights is ... if set up correctly ... they will shine low along the road ... not too far ... but have a wide beam pattern as well .... they pick up the side lines and the cats eyes .... making managing dark roads in thick fog less of a nightmare.

Another reason why I am looking at some PIAA ION Crystal H3 globes (YELLOW) to replace the Hella globes that came with my fog lights ... as I find a yellow beam in fog reflects less .... and can be seen by oncoming traffic much easier than white (with less glare as well).