Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 24-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Opt-in political section?

Just something I wanted to bring up, it would be nice to have a section where we could all discuss political/sensitive issues as we have a huge community here so it would be ace to hear some opinions on current issues going on in the news and some debate about it.

Maybe as a suggestion you could make it an opt-in section of the forum which is hidden to the general public, but to get access you have to PM an admin to gain access to it, so its not viewable by people who aren't interested and guests as I can understand why you would want to hide something like this from the public.

Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: Opt-in political section?

Good idea but it could go very bad as some people are not as mature as they think they are. And some people have strong political views that they will blindly follow.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

I like Damo's idea. Sure it would need some vetting, but done right it could be very constructive.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Good idea but it could go very bad as some people are not as mature as they think they are. And some people have strong political views that they will blindly follow.
It would be hidden so those who don't want to see it can have the choice of not participating or reading through.

It would just have to be kept in that particular section, no taking it out in front of the general population.
Old 24-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

There is an area that is out of the general population. Its called the DM rooms.

I promise you, it could not be done in the general area. Not saying anything bad about the general members .... but read the sig below. There would be death threats, children crying, women screaming ...... pandemonium.

BUT ....... this is a Car Forum, Ford Forum and a community for those who have, enjoy or lust after FORDS.

Whirlpool it aint. Lets not loose focus on why this Forum was created 9 years and 9 months ago!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
There is an area that is out of the general population. Its called the DM rooms.

I promise you, it could not be done in the general area. Not saying anything bad about the general members .... but read the sig below. There would be death threats, children crying, women screaming ...... pandemonium.

BUT ....... this is a Car Forum, Ford Forum and a community for those who have, enjoy or lust after FORDS.

Whirlpool it aint. Lets not loose focus on why this Forum was created 9 years and 9 months ago!
Though just because some of us are donators and we have our own section doesn't mean that all of them would be interested in being a party to that kind of talk if you know what I mean.

Unless you have another section inside the donators section for it specifically.
Old 24-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

In Australia we do not have the right/protection of free speech and there are laws which allow people to sue you because they feel offended by what you've written, section 18C of the racial discrimination act being a case study.

It would also be a full time administration nightmare moderating such an area, the risk of FFA being closed and it's owners (whoever they might be) being sued is very real.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I have been taught from an early age that there are 3 things you never discuss openly / in public - Religion, Politics and Money.

No matter how hard you try to be civil there will be those who disagree and those who will try to force their ideals and opinions on others no matter what.

Your idea does have merit Damo, but almost every thread that has started on touchy subjects - including political ones have ended in tears.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Though just because some of us are donators and we have our own section doesn't mean that all of them would be interested in being a party to that kind of talk if you know what I mean.

Unless you have another section inside the donators section for it specifically.
Not quite sure what you mean though. A thread could be started in the DM room. Those who dont want to partake, they dont need to. Not saying that a political thread even in the DM room would last though. People do get worked up on these issues and take things to the extreme

I still think it would cause issues. Pushing ones political agenda isnt a good thing in a general Forum.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
In Australia we do not have the right/protection of free speech and there are laws which allow people to sue you because they feel offended by what you've written, section 18C of the racial discrimination act being a case study.

It would also be a full time administration nightmare moderating such an area, the risk of FFA being closed and it's owners (whoever they might be) being sued is very real.
It would be behind closed doors so the public wouldn't see it and the only members who would are the ones who opted in for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I have been taught from an early age that there are 3 things you never discuss openly / in public - Religion, Politics and Money.

No matter how hard you try to be civil there will be those who disagree and those who will try to force their ideals and opinions on others no matter what.

Your idea does have merit Damo, but almost every thread that has started on touchy subjects - including political ones have ended in tears.
Nothing like a good debate on all 3 though

As long as the "forcing" of ideas stayed in that section and that section only, would that be a problem?

Its not so much ended in tears but they get closed pretty quickly.

Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean though. A thread could be started in the DM room. Those who dont want to partake, they dont need to. Not saying that a political thread even in the DM room would last though. People do get worked up on these issues and take things to the extreme

I still think it would cause issues. Pushing ones political agenda isnt a good thing in a general Forum.
I mean that the people who are DM might not want to see/partake in any of it rather than have it sitting in the DM forum for all the DM boys/girls to see.
Old 24-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #11
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I personally can not see any thread in any area on political topics lasting long at all. People have varying and different opinions and that is a good thing but all threads will head south very quickly...opt in or not. It really would be a full time job to moderate.

Would it be worth it? In my opinion no. Some members can and do carry grudges over comments made to their car related posts...Imagine how much angst it would cause!

Great idea in principle, but it practise, I just don't think it would be good for the forums.

Just my little $2.20 on it. (see, even added my GST)

Cheers
Col
Old 25-09-2014, 05:14 AM   #12
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
It would be behind closed doors so the public wouldn't see it and the only members who would are the ones who opted in for it.
It doesn't matter if it opt-in or not, some people can not help themselves and peoples toleration is rather low. I've been called a fascist and a Nazi on this very forum. It will only get worse, if someone was to go out of their way to repeatedly provoke and insult me they might find themselves having therapy and attitude adjustment with my lawyers.

To mitigate against potential litigation FFA and its members would need to agree to a whole new set of complex legal requirements - good luck! Stick to the current moderation of fringe area taboo topics.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

I vote NO, just not worth the Hassel, maybe start a poll in the DM area
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

www.politicalforum.com/australia-nz-pacific/
www.ozpolitic.com
www.onlineopinion.com.au
www.polanimal.com.au/
Try some of these sites Damo, some of the members on here can't discuss cars without malice, let alone politics.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I appreciate the idea to discuss topics other than Ford vehicles but after spending quite a considerable amount of time on shooting and hunting forums it seems that the original post on a topic very quickly gets overhauled by posts which CANNOT stay on topic.
This then becomes a free for all of views about posters rather than the subject at hand.
AFF is excellent as it is and I can't see the benefit of changing.
The moderators do a great job.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

No its fraught, nice sentiment but ultimately its a subject that divides members into us v them type thing - something imo we dont need on AFF at all. Not worth the trouble it could potentially cause... Sorry Damo.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 25-09-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

The unfortunate side effect as inferred above would be an overflow into the regular forum of rivalries and user conflict into regular topics with even the faintest political leaning...

I miss Flappist...he'd have loved such a section. It'd be a haven for A type personalities

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #18
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

From a Mod's point of view it would add scars to the already well bitten tongue (Yes we have opinions too but cannot air them much of the time) with an added dose of QWERTY face!
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
The unfortunate side effect as inferred above would be an overflow into the regular forum of rivalries and user conflict into regular topics with even the faintest political leaning...

I miss Flappist...he'd have loved such a section. It'd be a haven for A type personalities
Completely off topic, but what happened to that bloke?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post

dont stress it, flappist and I have significant debates / disagreements on his Forum, Damo will attest to that, I don't let him get away with too much
Old 25-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
dont stress it, flappist and I have significant debates / disagreements of his Forum, Damo will attest to that, I don't let him get away with too much
Someone has to keep him honest
Old 25-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #22
Trevor 57
is now there

As much as I will cop flak for this comment, I don't think the maturity level of some on this forum would allow for a rational debate. There is a very active political thread on a v8 forum that has been going for years, it has a large membership and strong moderation, the membership is not as large as this place though
Old 25-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #23
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Not so much maturity, but the fact that any politicians with differing views general gets pretty heated.
Old 25-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Just have to keep personal attacks out of it, that would be most of the moderation work IMO.

What about giving it a shot for a month and then we see if people can be trusted to behave reasonably, if not then well it can't be done here?

It would be no worse than some of the skirmishes that break out across the forum when Holden is mentioned or Falcon threads.
Old 25-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I agree with Yellow_Festiva...man I cant stand when people get on their high horse about religion/politics...most base their opinions on some random internet article written by random people out to get some hits on their blog.

There are plenty of other places to speak that stuff, I already think the forum caters for perhaps to much outside the scope of cars and given the rubbish going on at the moment regarding politics/religion its just not going to end well. And to be frank I dont want to come here and see it, even though I could simply not view it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #26
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I agree with Yellow_Festiva...man I cant stand when people get on their high horse about religion/politics...most base their opinions on some random internet article written by random people out to get some hits on their blog.

There are plenty of other places to speak that stuff, I already think the forum caters for perhaps to much outside the scope of cars and given the rubbish going on at the moment regarding politics/religion its just not going to end well. And to be frank I dont want to come here and see it, even though I could simply not view it.
Agree so muchly.

Just have to remember what the title of the Forums are and while most other things is catered for to keep most of the community chatty on other non car related topics ....... to sit down after tea to see whats happening in the car world to be hit in the face with the woes of the world, it just does get a bit much.

As mods you cannot ignore it, skim through most threads, especially the ones that stand out and get involved in **** fights we would rather not be involved in. Politics/religion is the number 1 instigator!

FB is bad enough these days with all the hate ....... having to read the dislike for FORDS in the Forums is bad enough.

It is hard as said by FCoupe above, everyone else wants to have their opinions stated and heard without interruption or dispute but Mods have to try and stay as neutral as possible most of the time ..... even though we (me) do get caught up in some discussions. Other times, as said, it is a case of QWERTY face!

Apart from that ..... how the hell are we going to control all those, Labour supporting, Liberal bashing, Uni student, dole bludging, Communist loving lefties!!!!!! We would be called undemocratic!!!!!!

See what I did there?

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Apart from that ..... how the hell are we going to control all those, Labour supporting, Liberal bashing, Uni student, dole bludging, Communist loving lefties!!!!!! We would be called undemocratic!!!!!!

See what I did there?

lol
Old 25-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #28
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

.... you had that pic as your screen saver didnt you!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #29
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
.... you had that pic as your screen saver didnt you!
Old 25-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #30
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every forum I am active on has an off topic section and it's exactly that. I for one believe this forum is too heavily moderated when an off topic subject is being discussed, to the point where civil discussions are cut short because of the potential of it going pear shape in the future.

Maybe discussions can ride for a little longer, sure keep and eye on them. If someone is genuinely threatened by another member there is the option to report the post, most of the time it's really all **** n wind.

We're adults, we discuss adult subject some teens even discuss adult subjects. Closing every single thread on politics or whatever is not normal behaviour, it's akin to burying your head in the sand and hoping it all passes you by rather than having a healthy discussion.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: