Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default HELP, images appear upside down (or right way up)

HELP, Are we aware of this 'feature' ?

I took a series of photos on my ipad on the weekend. They appeared upside down on my windows PC so I then flipped them 180 deg, resized and re-saved them. I then uploaded them from my home Windows PC to the forum Gallery.

Pics located in my RTV album here: Home » Member » Raptor » RTV

I have started using the images in this post; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...30&postcount=9

When viewed via a windows computer images appear the right way up.

However, when I view the thread on my iPad they are upside down, as noted by another member. I didn't know what he was on about at first.

What's going on here?

Do apple devices recognise the original images were taken flipped?

What's the fix?

I thought after flipping and resaving everything would be fine

Rob

Last edited by Raptor; 01-07-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: HELP, images appear upside down (or right way up)

The pics render fine for me. Perhaps the old upsidedown pics are still in your cache. Try clearing the browser cache on your ipad.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Rob I did a quick search on the net and it is a common problem with all Apple products - Iphones,Ipads etc.

There is a free program/app that you can download to correct this.

http://www.pcresolver.es/The-PC-Reso...pside-Down.php

That is what I came up with.

Cheers
Col
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Thanks Col, but that won't help with photos already taken. That site suggests its Microsoft that is the problem, why am I not surprised.

Quote:
This is unfair to Apple and Apple's users because it really isn't their fault! When you take a photo on your iPad, iPhone and many/most digital cameras the photo contains information about the orientation of the camera when the photo was taken. It is the job of the software (email program, file manager, photo software) being used to display the photo to read this information and display the photo correctly.

Unfortunately, not all software respects this - and Microsoft Windows Explorer is one of them!! So, by all means, complain about or to the software producers but don't blame Apple. All Apple software displays them correctly.
I guess I'll just need to use my iPad the way Microsoft thinks is conventional and anyone viewing my thread on an apple device will just have to invert it to view the pics
This user likes this post:
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

That is funny. They render right side up on my Macbook and upsidedown on my ipad.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Even the forum Gallery shows the thumbnails right way up but click the thumbnail for the larger view and it'll open upside down on Apple devices.

I give up

I'll have to retake and re upload all these images before I link them to posts.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wouldn't you just turn the iPad around to get the image the right way? LOL.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Wouldn't you just turn the iPad around to get the image the right way? LOL.
It would flip over when you turn the ipod. Damn you auto turn! You can turn it off but that's far too painful to do when you just want to look at 1 picture.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
It would flip over when you turn the ipod. Damn you auto turn! You can turn it off but that's far too painful to do when you just want to look at 1 picture.
If you place 2 fingers on the screen when you turn it that locks the orientation and the image won't auto turn, until you remove your fingers.

But rather than look like a dick to anyone that reads my build thread on an apple device I'll just retake the photos using my i-pad the way microsoft expects me to. Probably won't get around to that until the weekend though. Work really gets in the way of forum time
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and it's Microsoft's fault? yea right apple can't even sort out how to view it on different products it makes.
lets face it , like it or not windows dominates the PC market so set the standards by sheer weight of numbers, it is the responsibility of others manufacturers to fit in so as not to inconvenience their customers, but Apple are known for arrogantly doing what they want regardless of what is best for their customers ( look at the flash debacle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
That is funny. They render right side up on my Macbook and upsidedown on my ipad.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post