Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #571
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
Regarding the Sedan, that comes from S.Korea and they stopped making that in May 2018 according to Wikipedia.

Yeah Holden basically bought out the final months production to stockpile them here. Mitsubishi did something similar back in 2017 with lancer stopping production, they are just getting through the final lot of demos now

Wish Ford did that with the Falcon utes. Just built thousands for stockpile, but leave one part off, then as they get sold add the part and finish the build plate. That way they could still be selling 2019 built Falcon utes now. Instant car industry.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #572
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There was an issue with Euro 6 compliance dead line, Ford didn't want to spit for the certification work.
I think that's why the shutdown happened when and how it did and why VFII (Euro 6) went on for another year...
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #573
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
I've been told they have roughly 4,300 Commodores, which would include vehicles at dealers, vehicles sitting 'on the grass' in storage and in transit - still waiting to make land. That would be more than enough to last them for 2019 and possibly 2020, if they make it that far.

The current ZB Commodore and BK Astra will never be marketed as an Opel in Australia, as they're still being built under license from GM and PSA is trying to move them over to PSA platforms as quickly as possible. IF the Commodore and Astra ever make it back to Australia, it'll be under the Opel badge and will be moving on PSA platforms. Unless Inchcape, PSA and GM come to some sort of agreement, if GM hands distribution rights over to Inchcape, then we could see them keep their Holden badges.
On the basis of new ZB,s being on ships waiting to land could these be sold as 2019 models......
Old 11-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #574
PCT302

GM to sell Holden ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...holden-116884/
Old 11-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #575
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Wish Ford did that with the Falcon utes. Just built thousands for stockpile, but leave one part off, then as they get sold add the part and finish the build plate. That way they could still be selling 2019 built Falcon utes now. Instant car industry.
You can't "just leave one part off" & fit the compliance plate at a later date.

The ADR rule says that the date of compliance is the day the engine & body are co-joined.

Dr Terry
Old 11-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #576
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
I think HSV can continue on regardless of what Holden do, to be honest, this would be the main reason why their business model has been switched to RHD conversions.

If HSV continue a good relationship with chevrolet, i can see them expanding the range slightly with other products...potentially Cadillacs.

In effect, HSV will become the manufacturer that has weathered the storm.
HSV become spiritual successor of AMI (Australian Motor Industries)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...tor_Industries
Old 11-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #577
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you eurotrash for your comments.

It would be nice to think the French lion saves the Australian lion, but we'll see how it all pans out.

cue:

Petanque, croissants, poodles et Holden voitures
Old 11-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #578
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
You can't "just leave one part off" & fit the compliance plate at a later date.

The ADR rule says that the date of compliance is the day the engine & body are co-joined.

Dr Terry
What if that "one part off" is the engine?
Old 11-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #579
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.caradvice.com.au/724868/...tralia-return/

What an unmitigated disaster for anyone trying to sell Holdens and run a dealership.
Although on the plus side, Opel returning, now run by people who love small cars (Europeans) might see some cool metal down under.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 11-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #580
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 11-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #581
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I can’t help but feel really sad about this.

This news if true is terrible, but there are no Australian manufacturing connections regardless.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #582
Eurotrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
On the basis of new ZB,s being on ships waiting to land could these be sold as 2019 models......
They'll be 2018 built and plated vehicles. They may be called 'MY19' for sale purposes and will have a compliance plate of 2019, but it's built plate will be 2018.

Remember, Holden requested for production to stop for the Astra, Commodore and even the Equinox back in October 2018, but PSA haven't built much for Holden since, if anything.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #583
Eurotrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I can’t help but feel really sad about this.

This news if true is terrible, but there are no Australian manufacturing connections regardless.
It's quite breathtaking, isn't it? Just as we had mentioned yesterday, CarAdvise are now reporting that if Inchcape are handed distribution rights for Holden, it'll be reduced to just selling SUV's and a Ute, which is inline with whispers that Holden will be reduced to 4-5 carlines, Trax, Equinox, Acadia, Trailblazer and Colorado, no Astra and no Commodore.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #584
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for your comments Eurotrash -a fascinating insight in to the train wreck that is GMH.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #585
Eurotrash

There's a few other things that we also have to take note of.

The Holden Equinox is built in Mexico at the Ramos Arizpe plant and that plant is now pumping out the new Chevrolet Blazer, with Equinox production restricted to the San Luis Potosi plant in the US. There has been no mention of RHD production for the US plant, leaving a huge question mark over the models future in Australia and New Zealand. There's also the fact that Holden had production halted for the Equinox back in October 2018. Has production started again, I'm not sure, but if the Mexican plant is now building the new Blazer and there has been no word on the US plant picking up the RHD production, then it must be game over for the RHD Equinox. There was talk of the Blazer arriving in Australia with Holden badges from the Ramos Arizpe plant, but I doubt now this will happen.

There's also the facelifted GMC Acadia that's making the rounds and yep you guessed it, RHD production hasn't been mentioned, leaving more question marks over this model.

Then there is the Colorado and Trailblazer. Not sure what's going to happen there, but GM have been scalling back it's Thai operations over the past 12 months, again another RHD market and there are reports that the next Colorado, will simply be the US model and again, RHD production is questionable? Unless HSV pick this up and then they'll be sold under the Chevrolet badge, you'd imagine? The Trailblazer would probably die. Haven't heard if GM do Brasil is taking the lead development role of the Chevrolet/Holden Colorado/S10 Ute, like they did with the current models.

And the Trax! Well, both the Spark and the Barina/Sonic/Aveo have been cancelled in South Korea and both will be replaced with a new small Crossover which will sit below the Trax. This new model hasn't had RHD production approved and the new model Trax is also believed to be LHD only.

With all this, it's not hard to put two and two together and figure out GM want's out of all RHD markets and is not engineering future products for our markets.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #586
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCT302 View Post
Quote:
GM has signaled its intention to reduce right-hand model production globally.
Maybe time for Australia to ditch right-hand drive too?
Old 11-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #587
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
Yep. Have all the cars and bikes change over on a Monday and all the Trucks and Bus's on the Tues.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:29 PM   #588
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
Jesus...no.

There are two glaring issues i see right away:

-There are already enough bad drivers out there, don't need more difficulties handed to them.

-Road networks and infrastructure. Complete sections of road would need re doing...some won't suit LHD in the way RHD does. Right of the top of my head i can think of a mountain range near me that has arrestor beds for run away trucks that would need mirroring to suit LHD.

Slip lanes, parking...drive throughs...signage.

I'd hate to think of the cost needed to reconfigure everything.

Even the local tip would need to build a new entry!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
5 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #589
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Right of the top of my head i can think of a mountain range near me that has arrestor beds for run away trucks that would need mirroring to suit LHD.
It would have worked on the old road down the Moonbi's though
Old 11-02-2019, 11:48 PM   #590
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

You can see that Australian buyers will continue to gravitate to RHD friendly companies (Japanese and Korean)
Those that sit on the fence and want to do minimal RHD versions of vehicles will feel the pinch in our market.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #591
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
It would have worked on the old road down the Moonbi's though
Thats before my time

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/

Last edited by Nikked; 12-02-2019 at 07:57 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #592
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Yep. Have all the cars and bikes change over on a Monday and all the Trucks and Bus's on the Tues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H

Quote:
Dagen H (H day), today usually called "Högertrafikomläggningen" ("The right-hand traffic diversion"), was the day on 3 September 1967, in which the traffic in Sweden switched from driving on the left-hand side of the road to the right. The "H" stands for "Högertrafik", the Swedish word for "right traffic". It was by far the largest logistical event in Sweden's history
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #593
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Holden will be reduced to 4-5 carlines, Trax, Equinox, Acadia, Trailblazer and Colorado, no Astra and no Commodore.
Astra is selling in semi-respectable numbers (doesn't it outsell everything but Colorado). Surely it makes sense to keep it?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #594
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Astra is selling in semi-respectable numbers (doesn't it outsell everything but Colorado). Surely it makes sense to keep it?
They have had to cut the price so badly just to move the stockpiles they have, that they will be making no profit on them. So what's the point?
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #595
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's quite breathtaking, isn't it? Just as we had mentioned yesterday, CarAdvise are now reporting that if Inchcape are handed distribution rights for Holden, it'll be reduced to just selling SUV's and a Ute, which is inline with whispers that Holden will be reduced to 4-5 carlines, Trax, Equinox, Acadia, Trailblazer and Colorado, no Astra and no Commodore.
Astra & Commodore will just come in as Opel’s,after all that is what they truly are.Back to Opel Insignia(sounds better anyhow) & Opel Astra.Makes a lot more sense for these two.Whether they sell in decent numbers remains to be seen.You also have the Opel van(Renault trafic,Vauxhall Vivaro,Fiat & Nissan NV300,all built @ Vauxhalls Elsmore plant.) which may well come in.Cheers

Last edited by hackney; 12-02-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #596
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Wouldn't it make more sense for the Inchcape group to expand existing PSA dealers in Australia to add Opel products to their range?

As to Holden dealers, unfortunately, they are doomed.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #597
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense for the Inchcape group to expand existing PSA dealers in Australia to add Opel products to their range?

As to Holden dealers, unfortunately, they are doomed.
How many Holden only dealers are left? Either sell the property or change the brand. Have a sale on the Holden sinage.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #598
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know many on here don't like him, but, John Cadoganreports the rumour in an entertaining way on his You-tube post.. While Holden and Inchcape have denied the rumour, John blows their denial in the way we expect John to do.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #599
Eurotrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Astra & Commodore will just come in as Opel’s,after all that is what they truly are.Back to Opel Insignia(sounds better anyhow) & Opel Astra.Makes a lot more sense for these two.Whether they sell in decent numbers remains to be seen.You also have the Opel van(Renault trafic,Vauxhall Vivaro,Fiat & Nissan NV300,all built @ Vauxhalls Elsmore plant.) which may well come in.Cheers
That's one of the scenarios being considered. If Holden is handed over to Inchcape, Holden will be reduced to a few GM SUV's and a Ute, no passenger cars, while Inchcape will re-introduce Opel, with a full range of cars, including the Astra and Insignia. The Commodore name will be dropped completely, as what should've happened in the first place.

Renault has cut ties with Opel with regards to their LCV range, so all previous Renault sourced vans are no more. All new Opel vans are now PSA based. The new Opel Combo is a rebadged Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner, while the new Opel Vivaro is a rebadged Citroen Dispatch/Peugeot Expert/Toyota ProAce. The larger Opel Movano, a rebadged Renault Master, will be replaced by a new large PSA Van that is yet to be announced. The Luton plant in the UK is now building the PSA vans - Citroen Dispatch/Jumpy/Peugeot Partner/Opel/Vauxhall Viviaro/Toyota ProAce.

Also remember, Renault will release the Trafic as the Mitsubishi Express in 2020, for only the Australian and New Zealand markets.
Old 13-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #600
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was surprised to see that Opel Australia still has a website
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread