Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Default Dash cam nutters

Just saw this footage on the ABC and makes one wonder why some people still have licences. The footage speaks for itself.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-2...-truck/7544826
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Dash cam nutters

Have a look at some of the Dash Cam Australia footage on youtube.
There's a lot of fail on our roads.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Saw a cracker coming home from the Gold Coast last Tuesday, following an old bloke in a diesel Territory between Waikerie and Blanchtown.
We come up behind a B double and old mate decides he's going past him by utilising the oncoming traffics overtaking lane. In SA you can do this legally as long as BOTH oncomimg lanes are clear.
Problem was, both lanes contained trucks, only old mate couldnt see that as there is a crest half way along the section so as he comes up over the crest he has a B double to his left and two more bearing down infront.
The massive plume of smoke that suddenly belched from the Terri's exhaust pinpointed the moment in time when old mate soiled his knickers.
Luckily the truckies saw what was happening and made space for him or i'd have worn him as a bonnet emblem.
Unreal!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Missed a good one on the M4 last night ... as I have no dash cam.

white Camry decided to exit near Westmead (heading west) ... crossed 4 lanes without looking and collect the front corner of red Honda. Camry flipped/rolled 3 times and rested against the wall.

Debris and smoke everywhere

Luckily ... everyone slowed in time (I was in the far right lane passing a semi at the time). I was near the front and made it round. Goodness knows what the outcome was though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Missed a good one on the M4 last night ... as I have no dash cam.

white Camry decided to exit near Westmead (heading west) ... crossed 4 lanes without looking and collect the front corner of red Honda. Camry flipped/rolled 3 times and rested against the wall.

Debris and smoke everywhere

Luckily ... everyone slowed in time (I was in the far right lane passing a semi at the time). I was near the front and made it round. Goodness knows what the outcome was though.

Standard operating procedure for a Camry driver. A lovely lady in a Camry wrote off our Territory last year. Now I look out for them and steer well clear. They need to be treated like a b double.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Well you may be pleased to know the police have got the 85year old driver in the vid and he fronts court very soon.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Itsme
Experienced Member

Worse part is these dicks can take you out in their act of stupidity.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2016, 01:09 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That dipstick in the commy , wow , very lucky dude , also lucky for the truckies , people think truckies dont come to grief when its car vs truck , but either of those trucks may have rolled over or even had a head on if this dip stick had of ended up under the wheels of one them , and off course if all three vehicles had of come to grief you can almost guarantee there would have been mention of it possibly being truckies fault and drugs involved .

looking at that video , can anyone think of something that may have possibly helped in relation to a bit more safety in this event ???
i`m thinking if the vehicles all had lights on , perhaps there may have been more chance of all parties concerned seeing on coming danger and maybe a decision to wait instead of over take or even make room earlier for the dip stick.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 01:52 AM   #9
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Looks like an EL wagon, not a Commodore.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2016, 02:48 AM   #10
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Well you may be pleased to know the police have got the 85year old driver in the vid and he fronts court very soon.
Really? 85yrs ?

That's disgusting as should know better

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Looks like an EL wagon, not a Commodore.
Whatever it is, he needs a foot up the Khyber.
Old 28-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Whatever it is, he needs a foot up the Khyber.
Yeah I agree with you. It is a shocker for sure.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #13
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Here's another one to add to the list of nutters......

I'll put my hand up and say that I have done something similar to this once before. When I lived in Sydney, we'd often come back to Sale via Canberra, Cooma and Cann River. The time the incident occurred, I was just south of Canberra, towing my Sea Doo in my ED Falcon. There's a section of road that heads down hill, is pretty straight and has really wide shoulders. Single lane each way. Got caught behind a slower car and did not want to have sit behind them through to Cooma, so put the foot down and went round. About half way round, I realised that I was not going to make it as car coming in the opposite direction appeared.

Luckily for me, the car I was passing and the on-coming car both realised what was happening and they both moved over essentially to make it a three-lane wide road. I did end up pulling in just before the oncoming car arrived, but it was way closer than it should have been. Flashed the car coming towards me as a thankyou, as well as giving the car behind me a very grateful thankyou wave.

Taught me a lesson or two that day. One, to make sure that I have sufficient clearance before overtaking. Two, allow extra room if towing. Three, Its a long trip, its ok if you get caught behind a slightly slower vehicle until you have a safe opportunity to overtake. Four, be vigilant on what other cars around you are doing as you be able to take a small action that saves you, or them. All obvious things that I should have known beforehand, but didn't mentally acknowledge.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
Sioso
irregular member

I witnessed something similar to the OP's video many years ago, except the person doing the overtaking was on either an Yamaha R1 or R6 and came past me at around 200km/h or close to it.
There was a semi and I was with about 4 or 5 cars behind it, and there was another coal truck coming towards us, he didn't get past the truck in time so went onto the centre line straight between the two trucks!
Made my heart skip a beat, I thought I was about to witness a death.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
Carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post

I'll put my hand up and say that I have done something similar to this once before. When I lived in Sydney, we'd often come back to Sale via Canberra, Cooma and Cann River. The time the incident occurred, I was just south of Canberra, towing my Sea Doo in my ED Falcon. There's a section of road that heads down hill, is pretty straight and has really wide shoulders. Single lane each way. Got caught behind a slower car and did not want to have sit behind them through to Cooma, so put the foot down and went round. About half way round, I realised that I was not going to make it as car coming in the opposite direction appeared.

Luckily for me, the car I was passing and the on-coming car both realised what was happening and they both moved over essentially to make it a three-lane wide road. I did end up pulling in just before the oncoming car arrived, but it was way closer than it should have been. Flashed the car coming towards me as a thankyou, as well as giving the car behind me a very grateful thankyou wave.

Taught me a lesson or two that day. One, to make sure that I have sufficient clearance before overtaking. Two, allow extra room if towing. Three, Its a long trip, its ok if you get caught behind a slightly slower vehicle until you have a safe opportunity to overtake. Four, be vigilant on what other cars around you are doing as you be able to take a small action that saves you, or them. All obvious things that I should have known beforehand, but didn't mentally acknowledge.
I'm sure you will never have that problem in the XR8
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We learn by our mistakes mate,
i really don't think licensing puts enough emphasis on how dangerous overtaking can be,
By the same token i don't see the outage at cranking up the speed a bit when overtaking, the less time on the wrong side of the road the better of you ask me.
Is not like we driving some 50's Era cars wandering all over the road at speed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
4 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

In a regular road car (n/a 6 commo or falcon, 4cyl buzzbox), the risk of running out of time is very high. In a geriatric camry with no torque, this risk is probably mutiplied by 3 times. In a FG or newer XR6T or s/c V8, overtaking of a B-double or B-triple is complete in the time it takes for the average joemobile to even dip its nose past the rear end of the said truck. These cars never fail to amaze me how quickly and effortlessly they swallow up a B-triple, even in standard form. The only trouble is overtaking in such a timely manner is actually highly illegal and a hoon offence.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We learn by our mistakes mate,
i really don't think licensing puts enough emphasis on how dangerous overtaking can be,
By the same token i don't see the outage at cranking up the speed a bit when overtaking, the less time on the wrong side of the road the better of you ask me.
Is not like we driving some 50's Era cars wandering all over the road at speed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
This.
When I was a whipper snapper I was close to a head on in my Cobra. I was driving through a forested area and went to overtake a slower car. Truck coming my way was an Army truck that was khaki camouflage and I didn't see it until the last second. Ever since that day I make a point of giving the vehicle I'm driving the full beans when I overtake.
The only thing that saved me that day was the big 351.
These days I'm constantly overtaking road trains and one day I'm afraid I'm going to get caught by the coppers, the XR8 has some serious speed up when you go past two of those in convoy.
I won't stop doing it though as I believe it's a potential lifesaver and the law sucks in this regard.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
This.
When I was a whipper snapper I was close to a head on in my Cobra. I was driving through a forested area and went to overtake a slower car. Truck coming my way was an Army truck that was khaki camouflage and I didn't see it until the last second. Ever since that day I make a point of giving the vehicle I'm driving the full beans when I overtake.
These days I'm constantly overtaking road trains and one day I'm afraid I'm going to get caught by the coppers, the XR8 has some serious speed up when you go past two of those in convoy.
I won't stop doing it though as I believe it's a potential lifesaver and the law sucks in this regard.
Yeah i totally agree mate , watching some people doing an overtaking manouvre (spelling ? ), and trying to get past/overtake another vehicle thats going 2 or 3 kph slower and stick to the speed limit while staying out on the wrong side of the road for 20/30 ..... oh god 40 ...... seconds .......is just pushing your luck and bloody ridiculous imo .
Old 28-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
This.
Yeah i totally agree mate , watching some people doing an overtaking manouvre (spelling ? ), and trying to get past/overtake another vehicle thats going 2 or 3 kph slower and stick to the speed limit while staying out on the wrong side of the road for 20/30 ..... oh god 40 ...... seconds .......is just pushing your luck and bloody utterly utterly ridiculous imo .
i`d happily risk a speeding fine while overtaking than stay on the wrong side of the road for an extended period.
but being a bit wiser ( i think ) and more patient in my old age these days i`m not fussed if i have to sit behind a slowy (within reason )......as long as they arent speeding up and slowing down and speeding up and slowing down constantly , i have come to accept the old adage , if in doubt don`t , and just try to enjoy the drive .
Its a pity more car drivers are not educated with the the way most professional truckys communicate out on the highway with regard to using lights and traffickators when over taking .
Its almost beautiful to watch these blokes doing the job at times.
Old 28-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #21
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wouldn't be so bad if they were sitting near the speed limit (110) but they are getting so heavy now that some struggle to hold 40km/h on the flat.

Unloaded for the return they aren't so bad but now Toll have taken the contract they have put 90km/h limiters on them. These guys tend to run in convoys to make matters worse.
The Great Northern Highway is the only major road in Australia running into a capital city that is still single lane, yet it carries the heaviest trucks. Bloody governments...

Believe it or not govco is now pushing for 62.5m road trains to come up from Perth. I have an RTAA next to my farm, so the biggest of them are running past the gate.

Perth is a 300km trip, I'm not that patient.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #22
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah i totally agree mate , watching some people doing an overtaking manouvre (spelling ? ), and trying to get past/overtake another vehicle thats going 2 or 3 kph slower and stick to the speed limit while staying out on the wrong side of the road for 20/30 ..... oh god 40 ...... seconds .......is just pushing your luck and bloody utterly utterly ridiculous imo .
i`d happily risk a speeding fine while overtaking than stay on the wrong side of the road for an extended period.
but being a bit wiser ( i think ) and more patient in my old age these days i`m not fussed if i have to sit behind a slowy (within reason )......as long as they arent speeding up and slowing down and speeding up and slowing down constantly , i have come to accept the old adage , if in doubt don`t , and just try to enjoy the drive .
Its a pity more car drivers are not educated with the the way most professional truckys communicate out on the highway with regard to using lights and traffickators when over taking .
Its almost beautiful to watch these blokes doing the job at times.
That is pretty much any Victorian driver, they are petrified of being pinged doing 1 over.

I like watching the aussie dash cam footage for the reactions of the cam car driver, can be rather blue.......

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #23
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4th guy that crosses the double lines for the double overtake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiNMJaxkSYk
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #24
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
4th guy that crosses the double lines for the double overtake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiNMJaxkSYk
There's never a cop around when you need one... oh wait... yeah... gotcha!!
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #25
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was just south of Canberra.
That road is pathetic. single carriage all the way and only 3 over taking lanes before Bredbo.