Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
CougarGirl
Starter Motor

Default Radiator Hose Split - Help!!

Begging for help!

I've split my radiator hose on the weekend and Ford/Fraud Dealership has quoted me $365 for a new one!!!

What can I do? I've tried Ferntree Gully wreckers (they've been great for other parts) but they don't have the hose.

Is there by any miracle a generic hose that will fit?

I desperately need my car for work so need to get this fixed asap!

CougarGirl

CougarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
thearrow

Default Re: Radiator Hose Split - Help!!

If you need one in a hurry then you can try here, this is where I got mine when mine went on me a few years ago.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
CougarGirl
Starter Motor

Do u mean here on the forum or was there a link missing?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ok... if you want to do it on the cheap to get yourself out of trouble just rip out the old one and take it to a Super Cheap etc and rummage through their stock to find something 'close enough'. You can also get creative and find one, cut it and extend / bend it using some pipe parts (perhaps even heavy duty plastic?) and use those steel threaded collars to join it all back together. Gluing the joins will help if the join isn't tight.

Is the split going lengthways or does it appear like someone has cut into it with a knife? If the latter, you may be able to finish the cut and just join it back together with a bit of pipe as mentioned above.

It won't be pretty, you may loose some flow but a few hrs and a bit of creative tinkering will get you on the road for the short term at least.

Is the engine / frame shared with another more common car?? May be another option.

Goods luck!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We had issues sourcing a new radiator hose for a customers 92 Hilux with the junk 22R carby engine.

So what we did was went down to Bursons with the old hose, and bought a hose roughly the same and cut it down to size

Go into Bursons and give them the make, model, year and VIN for your car and they should be able to get a new hose in stock, for stuff they don't carry in stock its usually a 24 hour wait. It seems Mackay Rubber doesn't make them, can't check Gates' catalogue, maybe they do.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Thunderbird

The guys at USFORDSP.com in Wollongong have them in stock if needed - think this link will work.
https://pontiworld.com.au/usfordsp/i...a24c704951406b
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
thearrow

Did you get it fixed OK??

Old 22-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
CougarGirl
Starter Motor

Thank you to everyone for their help!

I got the part from USFORDSP.com - very happy CougarGirl over here! Much better price then Ford...

So very happy to announce my girl is up and running again but unfortunately I need to sell her now.

My husband and I are going to be starting a family so I need to get a more appropriate car asap. If anyone may be interested please let me know. I do have it advertised on the normal sites as well but you just never know who may be looking around.

Thank you again everyone, this is the one place I know I can go for reliable advice!!

Old 22-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
thearrow

Glad to see you got it fixed OK.

Will be sorry to see you go but then girl has to do what a girl has to do I guess....

Make sure you tell whoever buys your car to come see us sometime...