Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Technical Area

Old 17-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #61
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Jack
Im getting my Diff shortened to an XY Length so I will be able to go wider.

How wide are you going, i have seen 325 on 18" Simmonds under a stock XA coupe.

Shortening the diff does not give more room between the spring and guard.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #62
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

Thats right, the springs have to be moved inboard to get more room, shortening the diff is a waste of money without this.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #63
homegrown
hotshot

you should'nt have any troubles at all, i run 295's with a rolled lip and still have a half inch to play with plus the extra half inch you'll score from shortening to an XY. you'll be able to go for pro street look with out tubbing. depends on your taste. i love the look of big baggy tyres under the guards.
Old 17-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #64
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

I was thinking a 12"wide rim with 305 tyres? Im not sure what sizes are available in 17 & 18s?
I want to keep the 15 x 10 Flame mags and fit racing rubber for club track days and driving events.
I find they rub on the guards with 295 TAs, hence why Im getting the Diff shortened.
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #65
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Quote:
How wide are you going, i have seen 325 on 18" Simmonds under a stock XA coupe.

I suppose it all comes down to what offset the rims are to fit evenly between the spring and body. The flame rims have a 4 1/2" back space.
Old 17-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #66
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
I suppose it all comes down to what offset the rims are to fit evenly between the spring and body. The flame rims have a 4 1/2" back space.
Hi Jack. I reckon 17x10 rims with a 5" backspace will see you right and wrap them up with 315/35x17 rubber. That'd look horn. I have seen Sumitomo tyres in this size come up on ebay for a decent price.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #67
cob115
COUPE WHORE

howdy gents ,got a question ,got some kick **** 15x10 splats ,coulndt get 15x11 rims ,with a 5/half inch back space ,nth tce tyrs over here have go michilin tyres 335 x15 bit wide for my rims but they will fit :evil3: i think there profile is 335x30x15 so lower thay the normal 295x50x15 yokohamas.
any one fitted them to a un tubed coupe?reckon they will fit ? cheers pat

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #68
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They may fit but the ride will be soooo rough with that profile.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #69
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

So you would rather upset the handling by shortening the diff instead of buying the correct 5" back space rim ?
Old 20-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #70
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Hi Jack. I reckon 17x10 rims with a 5" backspace will see you right and wrap them up with 315/35x17 rubber. That'd look horn. I have seen Sumitomo tyres in this size come up on ebay for a decent price.
mmmm,i disagree,u need a 5and a half inch back space,with a 5inch back space there still is more room left next to the springs then ther is to the gard,thats why i made my splats with a 5and a half back space,
pink bits ,not to worried bout the ride just want massive rubber :evil3:

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
Old 22-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #71
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Quote:
So you would rather upset the handling by shortening the diff instead of buying the correct 5" back space rim ?
So how would it upset the handling of the Coupe?
The way I see it, It will enable wider wheels to be fitted with out rubbing thus improving the handling and safety.

Cheers Jack
Old 23-12-2008, 12:13 AM   #72
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
So how would it upset the handling of the Coupe?
The way I see it, It will enable wider wheels to be fitted with out rubbing thus improving the handling and safety.

Cheers Jack
How can shortening the diff make more room between the spring and guard ?
It cannot, that's a fact.
Old 23-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #73
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
The way I see it, It will enable wider wheels to be fitted with out rubbing thus improving the handling and safety
hey jack
it would seem to me that you could get the same type of effect by getting a larger backspace. it would probably work out cheaper and easier, especially if the wheels you choose are made to order

as nick has suggested the spring will still be in the same position in relation to the body, so altering the back space would seem to be the easier option
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #74
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Quote:
How can shortening the diff make more room between the spring and guard ?
It cannot, that's a fact.
Sorry for the confusion, what I meant to say was it will make more room between the wheel and guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
hey jack
it would seem to me that you could get the same type of effect by getting a larger backspace. it would probably work out cheaper and easier, especially if the wheels you choose are made to order
Gary it would probably be easier but I like to keep the deep dish look.
Old 23-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #75
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Yes it will make more room between drum and guard by having the shorter diff. But ride will be bad ..... they have a good wide track and was changed from XY for this reason.

It wont allow you to have a wider tyre because the space between the springs and guard will still be the same. Thats where the correct spacing comes into it. For all the dramas of getting diffs changed, the correct offset will give you big width tyres with a very deep dish ..... and far better just to give the guards a bit of a roll.

I have 295 with a 5 inch offset ...... got to 5.5 and theres the extra width ..... plus a rolled guard for a bit more.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #76
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Hi, i am looking at getting a qoute on a set of Torq-Thrust 11 wheels for the XA Coupe, at the moment i dont have the car with me so can someone help me with the bolt circle size.

Cheers

John

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #77
cob115
COUPE WHORE

gday guys thought this info might be of some help for the back space questions

i got some 14x8 splats and changed the rims to 15x10 ,i put a 5and a half inch back space on them as 5inch seems a little close the the gard(out side) heres some pics of room left

bit closer to the leaf springs

i reckon if i done it again 5and a quarter back space would be the best
tyres are 295 ,but jesus i dont know how every one else is finding it but tyres in 15inch are getting harder to come buy ,tried to fit a set of 325 race track tyres whoo hooo they looked awson but just didnt fit : grrrrrr

Old 19-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #78
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Hi Pat, great pics and good info!! Thanks heaps for that. Those clearances look good, looks like you could drop the bum a little and have no outer sidewall scraping. Is there any inner sidewall scraping going around corners etc?? Just thinking about lateral sidewall flex.

Is that XB another one of your fleet??'

Cheers, Craig.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #79
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Hi Pat, great pics and good info!! Thanks heaps for that. Those clearances look good, looks like you could drop the bum a little and have no outer sidewall scraping. Is there any inner sidewall scraping going around corners etc?? Just thinking about lateral sidewall flex.

Is that XB another one of your fleet??'

Cheers, Craig.
thanks Craig always happy to share info ,doesnt seem to be any scraping at all, yes could dump it with out touching the gards,the old girl goes like stink and the 295s lit up easy :evil3: ,but i dont think il be doing any more wheelies with all the windows down,i thought some thing caught fire for a few seconds :

Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #80
landy351
Starter Motor

Ive had My wheels on a few coupes over the years and cant believe how much difference there is in the set ups and tolerances although they were bought for the Landau. They were originally off a 76 anniversary corvette and were redrilled to ford pattern. they are 15 X 8.5 front and 15 x 10 rear and I'm not sure of offset.

On an XB I used to own with 295x60x15 rear and 245x60x15 front

On my second Landau with 275x60x15 rear (295's rubbed on cornering) and 235x50x15 front 245'sx60's rubbed on firewall.

And finally the wheels back on the car they were bought for you can see on the side wall where the tyre (still the 275x60x15) had been hitting on the guard on the brown Landau and yet there is plenty of space under the guards on this one
landy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #81
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy351
Ive had My wheels on a few coupes over the years and cant believe how much difference there is in the set ups and tolerances although they were bought for the Landau. They were originally off a 76 anniversary corvette and were redrilled to ford pattern. they are 15 X 8.5 front and 15 x 10 rear and I'm not sure of offset.

On an XB I used to own with 295x60x15 rear and 245x60x15 front

On my second Landau with 275x60x15 rear (295's rubbed on cornering) and 235x50x15 front 245'sx60's rubbed on firewall.

And finally the wheels back on the car they were bought for you can see on the side wall where the tyre (still the 275x60x15) had been hitting on the guard on the brown Landau and yet there is plenty of space under the guards on this one
Looks like you were carring a bit of camber on the XB mate.....

....or is that just the photo....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #82
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

The XB GT coupe at GT Ford Performance has 335s on the rear

Should have taken a shot but was with teh owner of the shop and felt a little weird !
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #83
landy351
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA351COUPE
Looks like you were carring a bit of camber on the XB mate.....

....or is that just the photo....
Its just the photo (digital photo taken of an old bent photo)

Mike
Old 05-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #84
78 Interceptor
Starter Motor

Default Legalities

I am running 245/50x15s on 15x8's up front and 305/50x15's on 15x10's out the back. All the wheel arches have been rolled and there is no concerns with rubbing the tyres.

My question (if anyone can help) is what is required to legally run 10" rims on the back in VIC. Do I need an engineers cert? The car runs a 351/FMX/9"disc combo and I have been told that the disc 9" is more than adequate to cope with the extra stress of the wide rims. Any engineers out there care to weigh in?
78 Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #85
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

What brand tyres are you running? Can you post up some pics?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #86
landy351
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Interceptor

My question (if anyone can help) is what is required to legally run 10" rims on the back in VIC. Do I need an engineers cert? The car runs a 351/FMX/9"disc combo and I have been told that the disc 9" is more than adequate to cope with the extra stress of the wide rims. Any engineers out there care to weigh in?
I was living in Vic in early 90's and was told by the bloke that did my roadworthy (an absolute Ford nut) that it was permissable to go 1 inch over standard width and as there was 8 inch wide tyres fitted to one of the Alan Moffat specials He allowed me to roadworthy my Landau using my 8.5 inch (front) wheels on the back, but I was told there was no way other than an Engineers report of using the 10's.

Mike
Old 05-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #87
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I am under the impression that 10 is illegal but is still accepted? I havn't heard of anyone being done for wide tyres on a coupe and many run with at least 295's

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #88
DaveD_XB

I asked the same question of an engineer a while ago & he told me that for him to cert them I'd have to have a fully floating axel set-up (so if an axel stub broke the axel would be held within the diff housing) & that I'd have to have at least 31 spline axels.... pref 35 spline..... they are just scared of an axel snapping & you rolling your beast into a nuns & orphans roadside picnic

Most people including the police & shannon's turn a blind eye to this... but I did also ask a guy at shannon's once & he reckoned that if I had an accident & they could prove that the wide tires where a factor then my insurance would be null & void.....

Dave.
DaveD_XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #89
danthefordman
Leftyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD_XB
I asked the same question of an engineer a while ago & he told me that for him to cert them I'd have to have a fully floating axel set-up (so if an axel stub broke the axel would be held within the diff housing) & that I'd have to have at least 31 spline axels.... pref 35 spline..... they are just scared of an axel snapping & you rolling your beast into a nuns & orphans roadside picnic

Most people including the police & shannon's turn a blind eye to this... but I did also ask a guy at shannon's once & he reckoned that if I had an accident & they could prove that the wide tires where a factor then my insurance would be null & void.....

Dave.
Thats a good point because we all know insurance companies aren't in the business of giving money back if they can find a way out of it. Imagine having an accident and not only losing your car insurance but also your 3rd party because they were of the opinion your mods contributed to an accident. You may end up being sued for damages to other peoples property or even for injuries and suffering. : God do i sound like a wouzer or what?

I know in NSW that regardless of any engineering to a vehicle, the widest a wheel and tyre combo the rta will allow is 10 rear and 8 front. Unless they came out of the factory with bigger (like lambos and porches).

You are able to legally go 2 inches (NSW) bigger than OEM on the diff the vehicle came from (doesn't matter what it is in) ie 8 inch wheels on the nine inch as mentioned above would permit fitment of 10 inch wheel but the engineer would still need to verify this. It is generally prescribed that you should upgrade wheel bearings to cope with the added stress. Also deep dish rims with too much negative off set are frowned upon (apparently by the engineer i have spoken to) as they impart greater stress on bearings and axles. Each engineer you speak to will no doubt have a different interpretation so shop around for opinions and be confident in your advice before embarking upon any mods
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #90
fatasslandau
the money box

in nsw you are only permitted to go 1in over factory specs so if came out with 7s you can only go 8s but if you change your rear axle assembly you must comply to the specs to which it came out of and therefor must be engineered as it's been modified.so the trick is [this is what i did] f100s came out with 9'' diff 31 spline axles and 9'' wheels so 1inch over means i can have 10s as diff housings are the same and i have 31 spline axles and bearings to suit no ones to say it's not a f100 i could have changed the brakes to disc as they are factory and a upgrade from f100 drum engineer was happy as and even engineerd with 295/50/15
fatasslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post