Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Technical Area

Old 27-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #451
danthefordman
Leftyos

Default Re: Wheel & Tyre combo's - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD_XB View Post
Hi Mate,

I think I'm at the point of buying tyres now & was wondering what brand you went with for the 315's? & what brand you are looking at for the 335's?

Thanks

Dave
Dave not sure what its like now but a few years back when i got mine sumitomo htrZ was one of the few around that were affordable $425 each in around 2006. I think the 80s corvettes ran 315s on a 17 inch wheel so there arent many cars that run this size tyre, maybe porsches in the 90s i dunno. Unless you are importing you may have trouble finding them. I priced big pirelli and michelins as well and they were getting up around 800-1000 back then and that wasn't even at 315 wide. If you do find some let us know what they are where you found them and $
Old 10-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #452
Claytopia

Do most of you have drum of disc brake rear ends?
Claytopia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #453
grr351

Hey there just happened to come across this helpful thread .I have a xa coupe with 15' x10 rear and 15'x8 front simmons wheels . i currently have a 295x50x15 toyo rear and 245x50x15 bf goodridge front with both work very well with no scrubbing . Im now at the stage of replacing the front 245x50x15 tyres as they are geeting a bit worn but as most know these tyres are now not available . What is my option now the 225x50x15 or 225x60x15 or 235x50x15 or 235x60x15 and are these options all still available ? thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (151.3 KB, 88 views)
grr351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #454
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by grr351 View Post
Hey there just happened to come across this helpful thread .I have a xa coupe with 15' x10 rear and 15'x8 front simmons wheels . i currently have a 295x50x15 toyo rear and 245x50x15 bf goodridge front with both work very well with no scrubbing . Im now at the stage of replacing the front 245x50x15 tyres as they are geeting a bit worn but as most know these tyres are now not available . What is my option now the 225x50x15 or 225x60x15 or 235x50x15 or 235x60x15 and are these options all still available ? thanks
i use 265 on the front of my coupe : ) depending on your offset they fir n look lovely

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #455
pistolpete

Hi guys, would a 16 x 11 Simmon wheel with 145mm (5.7 inch) backspace fit on a coupe?
pistolpete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #456
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Not sure, probably but your measurements will need to be spot on. That backspace sounds like the inner edge of the rim will be very close to your rear leaf springs (assuming its a stock setup). The wheel arch lip may need a slight massage too. I think your biggest challenge for this rim is tyres. Have you identified which tyre you're planning to run?

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #457
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Zero off set will probably get you over the line. I've seen a few coupe builds on AFF and one in particular ran 11x17 with zero off set and they fit nicley - fitted a 315 tyre
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #458
pistolpete

I don't have a coupe to put them on, just wanted to see if they were going to fit. If anyone in the Sydney area with a coupe is able to let me try them on the rear it would be greatly appreciated. Pete
pistolpete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 11:08 PM   #459
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone here running 325/30R19's on the back of their coupe and 245/40R19's on the front?

Cheers Ryan
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 12:27 AM   #460
bigeddie351

Hi does anyone know of any suppliers that can supply Chrome 12 slotters 15 x 10 with 5 or 5.25 inch back space?
I would like original centres so that the small hubcaps can be fitted as well.
Will also require a matching set of 15 x 8 slotters as well. I haven`t worked our the back space on the front yet but have 15 x 8 Pro Stars on my sedan and will just measure them.
Back in the early 80`s I had a set made up by Bonnerup wheel works in Perth but they are no longer around.
When I had them made in the 80`s I bought a set of Standard GS rims from an XY which had the lugs to attach the Hubcaps.
Bonnerup wheel works cut out the centres, had them chromed and welded them onto chrome hoops at the Specified Back space.
Amazingly the chrome wasn`t damaged bu the welding.
I think I had to wait a while for the right Hoops to arrive,
I want to have some more made the same way.
I have worn my fingers out polishing alloy wheels.
Any ideas of who can do this or can supply the wheels already made?
bigeddie351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #461
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Google is going to be your friend in this instance. Ajax motor wheels in melbourne( the only guys I knew ) that did this has shut down. no need to souce genuine ROH centres with the lugs as you can buy an insert that alowas you to fit the caps. Best of luck with your search
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #462
x351

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeddie351 View Post
Hi does anyone know of any suppliers that can supply Chrome 12 slotters 15 x 10 with 5 or 5.25 inch back space?
I would like original centres so that the small hubcaps can be fitted as well.
Will also require a matching set of 15 x 8 slotters as well. I haven`t worked our the back space on the front yet but have 15 x 8 Pro Stars on my sedan and will just measure them.
Back in the early 80`s I had a set made up by Bonnerup wheel works in Perth but they are no longer around.
When I had them made in the 80`s I bought a set of Standard GS rims from an XY which had the lugs to attach the Hubcaps.
Bonnerup wheel works cut out the centres, had them chromed and welded them onto chrome hoops at the Specified Back space.
Amazingly the chrome wasn`t damaged bu the welding.
I think I had to wait a while for the right Hoops to arrive,
I want to have some more made the same way.
I have worn my fingers out polishing alloy wheels.
Any ideas of who can do this or can supply the wheels already made?
I'm also in Perth and about 2 years ago I had a pair of 15x8 12 slotters made by Summerfield Rim Conversions. They used to be in Kenwick and called Summerfield Engineering, been around for about 40 years but when I got mine I met him at his house which is in Kwinana. Tell him what offset you are after and he will make them up to suit. The guy's name is Rob and his number is 0400 801 204

I can't remember the price offhand but I do recall it was reasonable. I supplied 14 inch wheels for the centres and he put them in 15 inch rims. Had them powdercoated afterwards and looked great.
x351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #463
Fish17

Okay I have sourced some tyres for my Performance Industries Challengers.

I can get Hancock 225x50x15 tyres to suit 15x8 front wheels @ $150 each.

And for the rear 15x10 wheels a Sumatomo 265x60x15 tyres @ $260 each.

Anyone have any experience with these 2 tyres? Pricing sounds ok?

If I wanted the same brand of tyre front & rear this particular supplier can only offer Maxis brand in these sizes & the rears where about $350 each.

Any thoughts?
Fish17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #464
Tough Ford

Could you go 295 50 15.
Various brands from 170 on eBay with Hankooks starting from 195 for the bigger tyre.

Cleveland goodness wrapped in a FORD shell
Tough Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2016, 11:51 PM   #465
Fish17

Tyres purchased & wheels fitted.....happy with them, will probably black out the white lettering.....I'm sure some wont like my Globe stickered caps but oh well

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
Fish17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #466
Bigjay
Starter Motor

Anybody have issues with 15x10 5" backspace with factory XC disc brakes?
Bigjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #467
DaveD_XB

This is a post from my build thread, The new boots for the Coupe turned up, I’ve gone for 245/45ZR17 up front & 315/35ZR17 for the rears went with Nitto NT555's in the end & no, no tire in 315/35ZR17 is "cheap" but I didn't think these where too outrageous in the end

A quick test fit shows that Ford really did get the rear wheel wells right on this car, the rear suspension leaf springs are stock for now & the Guards are not rolled. As you see 315 fits easy

I know that there is no weight in the rear right now but there is plenty of clearance to play with, 20mm from the widest point of the sidewall to the spring (won’t matter to me as I’m removing the springs anyway)

The tire is still within the guard edge too & there will be no need to roll them if I don’t want to (might do it before I paint the car anyway in case I ever go fatter)

I reckon that 335’s would fit with no mods, they’d scrub slightly but they’d fit & I reckon that 345 would be possible with rolled guards
1972 Dodge Challenger R/T - Mopar Weekend Toy
1969 GTO - Pontiac Weekend Toy
DaveD_XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #468
DJB56
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is a post from my build thread, The new boots for the Coupe turned up, I’ve gone for 245/45ZR17 up front & 315/35ZR17 for the rears went with Nitto NT555's in the end & no, no tire in 315/35ZR17 is "cheap" but I didn't think these where too outrageous in the end

A quick test fit shows that Ford really did get the rear wheel wells right on this car, the rear suspension leaf springs are stock for now & the Guards are not rolled. As you see 315 fits easy

I know that there is no weight in the rear right now but there is plenty of clearance to play with, 20mm from the widest point of the sidewall to the spring (won’t matter to me as I’m removing the springs anyway)

The tire is still within the guard edge too & there will be no need to roll them if I don’t want to (might do it before I paint the car anyway in case I ever go fatter)

I reckon that 335’s would fit with no mods, they’d scrub slightly but they’d fit & I reckon that 345 would be possible with rolled guards
What size rims are you using and what offset are they
DJB56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #469
DaveD_XB

I assume you just mean the rears?, they are 17x10.5" with a 6" backspace
1972 Dodge Challenger R/T - Mopar Weekend Toy
1969 GTO - Pontiac Weekend Toy
DaveD_XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #470
Captain Risky
Starter Motor

Hey Fellas, I want to get some of this 15x10 action for the back of my XA hardtop. Is there any chance of mickey thomson 28 or 29x12.5 15s fitting a standard length diff without guard mods? Any improvements if you go 10.5 tyres instead of 12.5s?
Im struggling a bit trying to decide between 15x10 magnums/jellybeans and convo pros

Captain Risky
Captain Risky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #471
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Risky View Post
Hey Fellas, I want to get some of this 15x10 action for the back of my XA hardtop. Is there any chance of mickey thomson 28 or 29x12.5 15s fitting a standard length diff without guard mods? Any improvements if you go 10.5 tyres instead of 12.5s?
Im struggling a bit trying to decide between 15x10 magnums/jellybeans and convo pros

Captain Risky
How's the XA 4 door going?
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #472
Captain Risky
Starter Motor

Ha ha, I assume you refer to the xb four door in the tv insurance ads? It was out of commission following the recent speedway debacle however it will return bigger, more wonderful and more powerful than ever! I have recently concocted a intake system of 8x 350 holley carburettors and 2x superchargers on an ingenious cross ram manifold of my own design ;), with which I will attempt to jump the main crocodile pool at Australia Zoo. While still negotiation the fine minuta with the Irwin family at the present, and working hard to tune out the massive holley dead spot, I am confident with the tremendous power from my new setup I will not fail!

On a more serious note I scored a pair of 15x10 sampsons in 5" backspace on the weekend, bought brand new by the seller 30 something yrs ago, never fitted to a car, in amazing condition they dont even need polishing! Ive read this thread start to finish several time, I noticed old mate with these rims on his cobra has 5 1/4 backspace.
Are my rims fine to use as is or should I machine the extra 1/4 in from them before the tyres get fitted?

Captain Risky eagerley awaits a reply....

Last edited by Captain Risky; 14-11-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 18-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #473
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Awesome buying there, just love old Skool Sampson/Magnums. If I were you I'd fit up the tyres then try the wheels on the car. The tyres (295 I assume) will have sidewall bulge and some sidewall flex on cornering so you want to make sure you have enough clearance to the rear springs.

There would be nothing worse than taking material off the hub face of those wheels only to find you have tyre rub against the springs. Can't put that material back on!!!

Convo Pro's??? Done to death!!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2016, 12:56 AM   #474
Captain Risky
Starter Motor

Thanks Bearman, i think they look awesome too. Now to find a pair of matching 15x8s or even 14s.
Was hoping to fit some of those Mickey Thompson sportsman or goodyear race tyres, pretty close to a 295 for width though,

Captain Risky
Old 15-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #475
danthefordman
Leftyos

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80kms
and my wife's 1965 Mustang in a paddock on the outskirts of Gawler

How did you go with front tyre clearance. I have the same size on mine and I am hitting the torque box with the outer edge of the tyre before I get to full lock. Also clips the trailing edge of the bottom of the front guard.
Old 24-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #476
Roadrunner
100% snafu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits View Post
Just changed the wheels on the coupe.
Bought a set of 15x8 & 15x7 "82 stamp globe bathurst last year and just had them restored.
Rears 295/50/15 & fronts 225/60/15.
Hey Pink bits, it might be time for me to replace my old rubber, and maybe go a tad wider on the back. How did those 295's fare that you had fitted? And which brand is that?

I have 14" Hotwires which I presume are 8" (8JJ x14 stamped in the centre) currently wearing 215/65 rubber. Might stick with that size on the front as they already rub in extreme cases, or full lock, but maybe time to fill some of that space in the rear.

Anybody recommend a tyre joint preferably SE burbs?
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #477
CJR09
RPO 77

So looking to obtain the stance of the 1974 Goss/Bartlett XA beast.

Looks like the rims are 15" x 10" challengers front and rear - but the tyres i am struggling to make out - maybe a wider 40 series on the rear and slightly skinnier 50 series on the front?

Does anyone have any info as to the setup/spec on this vehicle - STD width diff? Suspension?

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post