Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving lights V fog lights

This will possibly be a real hornets nest and create dissention but hey,

Can we get or come to a legal clarification of whats what, is it legal etc.

my FG2 ute has fog lights from FG2 sedan, they come on when engine is running and turn off automatically when headlights come on, have driving around for ages using them as daytime running/driving lights, not a drama, never stopped or questioned by the boys in blue/khaki, but ...

just they do have a yellowy tint globe in them so could be taken as fog lights which I believe is illegal. If I changed to a white bulb would that change anything.

where do I stand?
Is there different rules for different states?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving lights V fog lights

G'day ..Had a quick look .. Apologies if this is not what you need to know directly but might help a bit .

https://www.allianz.com.au/car-insur...driving-lights

I think each state may have different regs so what might apply in one state might not be exactly the same elsewhere ..Cheers
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

roddy1960 thanks very informative, certainly clarifies the difference, but what are state legalities, oh dang a visit to local police station and ask them?:yelr otflm
Old 03-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
roddy1960 thanks very informative, certainly clarifies the difference, but what are state legalities, oh dang a visit to local police station and ask them?:yelr otflm
Hi Tony... have a read through this https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving...nstrumentation

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

In my opinion change them to white you should be fine if using as DRL.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you switch them off independent of your headlights. If so they are fog lights. Fog lights can be white or yellow.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW road rules are vague as...…

"219 Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users
A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver’s vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user."

This would leave the interpretation of the rule up to the Police Officer who may be having a bad day.
DRLs and Fog Lights have not been invented here yet.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #8
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personal opinion - FG2 fog lights are not a problem, with the amount of muppets on our roads that keep our police force busy I’d be willing to place a wager that you’d never ever be booked for using them. Full respect to our boys and girls in blue, they do an awesome job on our roads and FG2 fog lights would not be on their radar, they have bigger idiots to fry.

I can pick an FG a mile off at night if they have both their headlights and fog lights on. My interest is then what model variant it is once it gets closer, the headlights and fog lights are not blinding at all though.

The problem, as has been brought up on this forum before, is the aftermarket globes that people are choosing to run instead of OE globes. I just wish the people who are installing super bright head light globes would have them aligned properly, some are rediculously blinding - I’d rather have 100 FG’s coming at me at night with both lights on over some of these out of aligned headlights running aftermarket globes. Below doesn’t relate to any law but there’s a few good tips in there.

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-dri...ely/headlights
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dhru, cheers mate that clears it up nicely, will change the bulbs over to safe white ones and everyone will be happy. Except the auto sparkie (haha) hoping to catch up with him end of this coming week.

Daytime running lamps
Daytime running lights are bright white forward-facing lights that improve the visibility of a vehicle in the daytime.

A pair of daytime running lamps may be fitted to a motor vehicle, symmetrically about the centreline of the vehicle. The lights must be wired so they are not illuminated while the vehicle's main headlights are on.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Queensland has specific legislation which makes it an offence to use fog lights in clear weather.

As chrisandsharon stated above though, enforcement probably falls into the 'bigger idiots to fry' basket.

Sect 217 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road rules) Regulations 2009

217 Using fog lights
(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with a front fog light or rear fog
light must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving
in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced
visibility.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) In this section—
front fog light means a light (other than a headlight) fitted to
the front of a vehicle to improve illumination of the road in
fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.
rear fog light means a light (other than a brake light, a
tail-light, a number plate light or a reversing light) fitted to the
rear of a vehicle to make the vehicle more easily visible from
the rear in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Should be tougher penalties for driving with damn fog lights on, something like life without parole with a searchlight aimed at your face 24/7
Old 03-11-2018, 11:42 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Tonz - unless your bulbs have a specofoc yellow tint, then they will be counted as white lights. No need to change the globes. You cold run a LED H11 (i think) globe in them which will be a pure white light and also lower brightness than the 55w halogn H11, so would then work as DRLs.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2018, 12:17 AM   #13
Trendseeker

$110 fine in NSW if you are caught using fog lights when there is no fog.

https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-d...t-on-fog-lamps

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/saf...and-horns.html

Yes, he’s in SA, just something to keep in mind when he travels to NSW.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Illegle in sa and anoying . Also dangerous for on coming traffic in the wet
Old 04-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #15
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
If your South Aussie I hear ya but read the regulations that Gothefalcon posted...straight from the legal files. answers all the questions
Old 04-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes south aussie they have a bltz every now and then to ping all the people doing it
Old 04-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #17
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Dhru, cheers mate that clears it up nicely, will change the bulbs over to safe white ones and everyone will be happy. Except the auto sparkie (haha) hoping to catch up with him end of this coming week.

Daytime running lamps
Daytime running lights are bright white forward-facing lights that improve the visibility of a vehicle in the daytime.

A pair of daytime running lamps may be fitted to a motor vehicle, symmetrically about the centreline of the vehicle. The lights must be wired so they are not illuminated while the vehicle's main headlights are on.
Here's the bit that most people read past.... "They also must conform to location and performance requirements outlined in the Australian Design Rules 13/00 and 76/00 respectively.

ADRs are the rules that all States & Territories base their respective laws on.

For anyone interested... here's the links to the two mentioned in the paragraph above https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2005L03991 and https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2006L02306

ADRs are Federal laws, which all States & Territories adopt. They become the minimum requirement, but the States & Territories may then choose to put additional requirements/specifics/etc above them (but not legislate below them).
How they choose to enforce these laws, is another thing altogether... and is probably more determined on whether Mr Plod is having a grumpy day etc !??

FYI in SA the fine is: Fog Lights - Using a fog light when not permitted ARR 217(1) $243 + $60 (victims of crime levy)

I couldn't find it... but I seem to remember it beeing applied only in builtup areas !??

D

2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #18
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

There's a bit more in here https://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ...018.5.AUTH.PDF

Specifically... Daytime Running Lights must no be more than 25watts

When you read through all the rules around DRLs.. it states they must turm off when the headlights come on... but there are heaps of new cars out now that have DRLs which remain on when the car's ignition is "on"... day or night, headlights on or off.

There's much more to detrmining what sort of light, any light is. (ie: driving/fog/DRL/side marker/etc) The design of the reflector & lens of the light body... the wattage/colour/deflector(if fitted)/etc of the globe... the way it's been wired into the vehicle (ie: comes on/turns off with ignition/parkers/headlights/high beam/etc)... It's not just "one size fits all".

There is room in the SA Act/Regs/etc for a determination to be made by the Road Traffic Authority, which can be applied for. In other words... you can go down to Regency and put your case to them... if they agree, they will issue you with a certificate (for a fee ofcourse). This must remain in the vehicle, but can be produced to show Mr Plod that the arrangement you have is legal (if you want to go that far). Or... they might just tell you that you are withing the current rules (or they might say "nup").

D

Last edited by Gothefalcon; 04-11-2018 at 11:18 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #19
RTV10814
Starter Motor

This is from WA Dept of Transport on all lighting
Hope it helps

IB-132C
Vehicle Safety and Standards Information Bulletin (Updated August 2017)
FITMENT AND USE OF ADDITIONAL AND OPTIONAL VEHICLE LIGHTS (LAMPS)
Purpose of this bulletin
This bulletin is to explain the fitment and use of additional driving lights (including LED light bars), and optional lights that may be fitted to a motor vehicle (excluding motor cycles, side cars and trikes). In this bulletin, the terms ‘lamps’ and ‘lights’ have the same meaning and are used interchangeably. Additionally, the terms ‘high-beam’ and ‘main-beam’ have the same meaning for the purposes of this bulletin.
Additional Driving lights (Driving Lamps)
Additional driving lights (including LED Light Bars) are auxiliary lights that can be fitted to a vehicle for the sole purpose to provide increased illumination to the road ahead of the vehicle over a long distance when the vehicle’s head lights are used on high beam.
Additional driving lights are covered by the Australian Design Rule 13/00 (ADR13). Amendments to ADR13, which has aligned with the alternate international standards now allow for the fitment of one or more (to a maximum of four) additional driving lights thus removing the previous requirement of additional driving lights to be fitted in pairs of two or four.
General Requirements
Any additional driving lights fitted to a vehicle must be designed and securely fitted in a way that:
• minimises the likelihood of injury to a person making contact with the vehicle in an unfortunate event of a crash with a pedestrian;
• does not obstruct the driver’s view of the road and traffic to the front or side of the vehicle;
IB-132C (August 2017) 1

• the light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either directly or indirectly through devices for indirect vision and/or other reflecting surfaces of the vehicle; and
• must remain switched off when high beam headlights are not in operation; and
• must automatically switch off when high beam headlights are either turned off or the
headlamps are dipped.
• Additional driving lights that have daytime running lights incorporated within the light, please refer to the section within this document titled DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS to ensure fitment is in compliance with ADR 13/00.
Discomfort includes any glare or reflection that in any way impedes the driver’s uninterrupted vision or view of the road ahead or to either side of the vehicle.
Additional driving lights (including LED light bars) are designed to complement vehicle high beams during long distance country driving and therefore are usually installed at the same level as your vehicle headlights or higher. Additional driving lights may ONLY legally be used when there are no other vehicles 200 meters in front of your vehicle, either approaching or moving in the same direction as you. This rule also applies for high beam use (compliance with regulations 185 and 186 of the Road Traffic Code 2000), though the majority of drivers will turn off their high beams and, if fitted, additional headlights as soon as another vehicle is visible ahead at any distance in order to be considerate (see below).
(1)
Using headlights on high-beam
Subject to subregulation (2), the driver of a vehicle shall not use the vehicle’s headlights on high-beam, or allow the vehicle’s headlights to be used on high-beam —
(a) if the driver is driving less than 200 m behind a vehicle travelling in the same direction as the driver; or
(b) if the driver is driving less than 200 m from an oncoming vehicle; or
(c) if the headlights of an oncoming vehicle are dipped.
Using headlights on low-beam when travelling less than 200 m behind another vehicle travelling in the same direction.
Using headlights on low-beam when travelling within 200 m of an oncoming vehicle
Important Note:
Some additional driving lights have the capacity to project a high wattage light beam at a far greater distance of 200 meters. If fitting a high wattage additional driving light to your vehicle, you must consider the projected distance of the light beam as this can create a substantial safety risk for oncoming drivers who may be impacted by such lights at a far greater distance, and adversely affect vehicles travelling in the same direction in front of your vehicle.
IB-132C (August 2017) 2

Fitment of Additional Driving Lights (Including LED Light Bars)1
Number: Position:
Light colour: Operation:
Up to a maximum of four (4) additional driving lights2
At the front of the vehicle3 and must only be ‘front facing’4 and not higher than the front edge of the bonnet if fitted to a bull bar or nudge bar.
Fitted symmetrically (same position on both sides of the vehicle).
If installing a single additional driving light (i.e. LED light bar) it must be installed horizontally and located symmetrically about the longitudinal centre line of the vehicle.
White
To be used in conjunction with the vehicle's headlights
All additional driving lights must turn off when the vehicle’s headlights are switched to low beam
Note:
Attachment points on bull bars and nudge bars
Any additional driving lights fitted to the vehicle must not obstruct or interfere with the light emitted by any of the headlights, indicators or parking lights fitted to the vehicle.
Any additional accessories including additional driving lights must not be installed on top a bull bar or nudge bar where the additional driving lights are higher than the front edge of the bonnet, or protruding forward of the bumper bar, bull bar or nudge bar.
The mounting brackets of any additional driving lights must be rounded and must not have any sharp, pointed or angular edges to ensure that the risk of injury to a pedestrian is minimised should a pedestrian be hit by the vehicle.
Figure 1 shows the locations that additional driving lights may and may not be fitted.
1 Compliant with the requirements of Australian Design Rule 13, and the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014 (WA).
2 An LED light bar is considered to be one driving light if all the LEDs operate together simultaneously. If an LED light bar has different parts or sections that can be switched on or off independent of other parts or sections, then each independently controlled section counts as a driving light.
3 At the front of the vehicle. This requirement shall be deemed to be satisfied if the light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either directly or indirectly through devices for indirect vision and/or other reflecting surfaces of the vehicle.
4 Front facing - these lights must not be fitted to face the opposite direction of the vehicle’s forward propulsion direction
IB-132C (August 2017) 3

Figure 2 shows the correct way of mounting some additional driving lights in a combination of ways; note that the vehicles headlights, indicators or parking lights are not obstructed.
IB-132C (August 2017) 4

Optional Front Lights
Optional front lights are any of the following types of lights; 1. Daytime running lights
2. Fog lights
3. Cornering lights
4. External cabin lights
5. Search or work lights
6. HID lights
7. Backlit badges and logos
Some vehicle manufacturers may fit some of these lights as original equipment; if that is the case the aftermarket fitment of additional lights must not exceed the maximum numbers listed.
There is no restriction on a vehicle being fitted with all of the listed lights provided that each of the lights is fully compliant as stated in this document.
General Requirements
Any additional lights fitted to a vehicle must be designed and securely fitted in a way that:
• minimises the likelihood of injury to a person making contact with the vehicle; and
• does not obstruct the driver’s view of the road and traffic to the front or side of the
vehicle.
• The light emitted shall not cause discomfort by reflecting off any of the vehicle’s
surfaces into the driver’s eyes. 1. Daytimerunninglights
Daytime running lights are lights used to increase a vehicles visibility when driving during the day. These lights are available as an optional after-market accessory or manufactured in some new model vehicles.
The retro fitting of daytime running lights is acceptable provided the lights comply with Australian Design Rule (ADR) 76 and are fitted as per ADR 13.
Colour: Number: Position:
White Two
Fitted symmetrically (same position on both sides of the vehicle) at the front of the vehicle (as can be seen in the above images)
IB-132C (August 2017) 5

In height: above the ground not less than 250mm nor more than 1,500mm.
Not more than 400mm from the sides (extreme outer edge) of the vehicle; at least 600mm apart between the inner edges, may be reduced to 400mm where the overall width of the vehicle is less than 1,300mm.
The angle of the beam may only be outwards 20° and inwards 20° and upwards 10° and downwards 10°.
Daytime running lights shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it possible for the engine to operate.
Daytime running lights shall switch OFF automatically when the front fog lights or headlights are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.
Furthermore, all other forward facing lights (as listed above) must not switch on when the daytime running lights are switched ON.
2. Frontfoglights
Front fog lights provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff (dark above, bright below) at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow.
183. Using fog lights (Road Traffic Code 2000)
(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with a front or rear fog light shall not operate the front or the rear fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.
(2) In fog, mist or in hazardous weather conditions restricting visibility, the display of light from a front fog light or front fog lights is sufficient compliance with any obligation to display a light from a head light or head lights under regulation 182.
(3) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle, displaying light from a single front fog light, unless 2 lit lights, complying with the requirements of the Vehicle Standards, are fitted to the front of the vehicle.
(4) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle displaying light from front fog light or front fog lights, if any other light of a power exceeding 7 watts and capable of showing a white light to the front is alight.
IB-132C (August 2017) 6

The top of the beam must not be higher than the centre of the fog light, when measured 8 metres in front of the vehicle.
White or selective yellow Two
Fitted symmetrically (same position on both sides of the vehicle) at the front of the vehicle;
No higher than the top of the low beam headlights;
Not more than 400mm from the sides (extreme outer edge) of the vehicle;
At least 600mm apart; and not less than 250mm above the ground.
Fog lights must be able to be operated independently from the headlights and driving lights. As a minimum, they must only be able to operate when the park lights are on.
3. Corneringlights
Cornering lights provide extra lateral illumination in the direction of an intended turn or lane change. These are actuated in conjunction with the turn signals, though they don’t flash and they may also be wired to illuminate when the vehicle is shifted into reverse gear
White or Amber Two
Fitted symmetrically (same position on both sides of the vehicle) at the front of the vehicle.
Not more than 400mm from the sides (extreme outer edge) of the vehicle; at least 600mm apart; and not less than 250mm above the ground.
Not more than 900mm above the ground.
The angle of the beam may only be 30° to 60° outwards and upwards 10° and downwards 10°.
No higher than the passing beam (dipped beam) headlamp.
The cornering lights must be connected so that they cannot be activated unless the main- beam headlights or the dipped-beam headlights are switched ON at the same time.
The cornering lights on one side of the vehicle may only be switched ON automatically when the direction indicators on the same side of the vehicle are switched ON and/or when the steering angle is changed from the straight-ahead position towards the same side of the vehicle.
The cornering light shall be switched OFF automatically when the direction indicator is switched OFF and/or the steering angle has returned in the straight-ahead position.
When the reversing light is switched ON, both cornering lights may be switched on simultaneously, independently from the steering wheel or direction indicator position. In this case, the cornering lights shall be switched OFF when the reversing light is switched OFF.
IB-132C (August 2017) 7

The cornering lights shall not be activated at vehicle speeds above 40 km/h. 4. Externalcabinlights
These lights are for denoting the presence of a large vehicle to other road users.
Colour: Presence:
Number: Position:
Amber
Optional on motor vehicles more than 2,100mm wide. (Prohibited on
other vehicles).
Up to 5.
Facing forward, spaced symmetrically above the median longitudinal plane of the vehicle, not less than 120mm centre to centre fixed to or above the cabin roof.
5. Searchorworklights
Additional lights intended to be used for temporary purposes (such as the reading of signs, handling or adjusting of loads or providing additional illumination in off-road situations) may be fitted to a vehicle in any location.
Note: The fitment of LED light bars as work lights facing forward is prohibited unless installed below the driver’s eyes.
General Requirements
Work lights must be fitted with a tell-tale illuminated labelled rocker switch (see below) to warn the driver the light is on.
Examples of illuminated labelled rocker switches
Any additional lights as work lights fitted to a vehicle must be designed and securely fitted in a way that;
• minimises the likelihood of injury to a person making contact with the vehicle; and • does not obstruct the driver’s view of the road and traffic to the front of the vehicle.
These requirements are all intended to improve the safety of the driver and other road users.
Note: A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.
IB-132C (August 2017) 8

6. Highintensitydischarge(HID)lights
HID lights produce more light to the amount of power they consume than other light types. ADRs specify minimum design and performance standards in HID lights for road vehicles.
ADRs mandate specific performance and orientation requirements for such light assemblies due, in part, to the higher light intensity/output and the potential for these types of lights to severely dazzle oncoming road users.
Simply retro-fitting original or aftermarket conversions of HID lights and/or light assemblies to the dipped beam (low beam) circuit of a vehicle does not guarantee that they will comply with the specific set of ADR performance requirements applicable to the vehicle which may make them non-compliant for road use.
HID lights producing more than 2000 lumens (a measure of light) may be fitted to dipped beam (low beam) lights on road vehicles. However, the vehicle’s lights must also align to ADR13 and have headlight cleaning devices (washer jets or wiper) and have self-levelling systems to prevent the brighter lights being projected into oncoming vehicles. A vehicle retro fitted with HID headlights is considered a modified vehicle.
The vehicle is required to be examined and a modification certificate issued and must meet the full requirements of ADR13 and be fitted with a self-levelling device and a cleaning device.
The road rules prohibit against dazzling another road user with bright vehicle lights. Higher powered lights with a higher end white colour are not allowed for road use. Commercially available high performance light products ensure that lighting kits, packages and globes are marked ‘not for road use’ however, some products available online have no warnings or consumer information notices.
7. LEDheadlightreplacementsglobes
Similar to HID lights, LED lights produce more light to the amount of power they consume. The retro-fitting of aftermarket conversions of LED lights and/or light assemblies to the dipped beam (low beam) circuit of a vehicle does not guarantee that they will comply with ADR performance requirements applicable to the vehicle which may make them non- compliant for road use. The fitting of such lights and/or light assemblies is considered altering a vehicle from the manufacturer’s specifications which classifies the vehicle as a modified vehicle. The vehicle is required to be examined to determine if the vehicle meets the requirements under ADR13.
IB-132C (August 2017) 9

8. Backlitbadgesandlogos
The Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board (AMVCB) have recently determined that a badge fitted to a vehicle which indicates the make/model or other information, which had a backlight (a ‘backlit badge’), would not be considered a lamp under Australian Design Rule 13/00 (ADR13).
The Commonwealth Government in conjunction with the States and Territories have determined and allowed backlit lights if when fitted, meet the requirements below:
• The light source shall be integrated with the logo/badge; • The colour of the light source shall be:
o Whitetofront;
o Ambertosides;or o Redtotherear;
• The light source shall be not more than 60 candela;
• The light source shall not flash;
• The badge and light source shall be fitted more than 200mm from the nearest lamp; • The light emitted shall not cause discomfort to the driver either directly or indirectly
through the devices for indirect vision and/or other reflecting surfaces of the vehicle; • The size of the light source shall be within the dimensions of the badge or logo and
not overly large so as to affect the prominence of other mandatory lamps; and • The light source shall be connected such that it operates with the front lighting
system.
This interpretation applies to all categories of vehicles covered by ADR 13/00.
Examples of backlit badges and logos
IB-132C (August 2017)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RTV10814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #20
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang on, do you have foggies(from a higher model falc), or the dealer fit LED DRLS that go in the fog light spot in the lower bumper?
Fogs will only work with headlights or parkers on, and will light up the fog light icon in the dash.
DRLS are on with the engine but extinguish or dim when headlights or parkers are switched on. I’m surprised your sparkie doesn’t know the diff.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 04-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #21
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
I don't mind if they're on with parkers, with headlights it's dangerous.

You can't see the indicator is another one.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #22
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I assume the cops in NSW don't bother pulling people over because if they did they would have pull over 50% of cars... So they just don't care, similar to the way they deal with people using mobile phones while driving.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
When you read through all the rules around DRLs.. it states they must turm off when the headlights come on... but there are heaps of new cars out now that have DRLs which remain on when the car's ignition is "on"... day or night, headlights on or off.
while this may appear true on the surface, they are not actually breaking the law, because once the headlights are turned on, the DRL dims and classified as a parking light.

Its essentially a multi function light.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
while this may appear true on the surface, they are not actually breaking the law, because once the headlights are turned on, the DRL dims and classified as a parking light.

Its essentially a multi function light.

Seen plenty of DRL's that stay on without dimming when headlights switched on with new cars, interestingly all the state governments are still deciding on legislation laws for these lights.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Seen plenty of DRL's that stay on without dimming when headlights switched on with new cars, interestingly all the state governments are still deciding on legislation laws for these lights.
Are you sure they are factory?

They must dim to meet current ADR's. As mentioned, there are some technicalities with ways they can get around it depending on how the light functions, and its brightness, and how it's switched etc, but they still need to meet ADR's.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I couldn't care less about front fog lights. 99% of them are fine and 1% are a bit too bright.

I cannot stand rear fog lights on clear nights. It makes me want to throw my high beam on while driving behind them. especially new cars with LED rear fog lights.

Quote:
I haven't noticed that. Do you recall what models? All the cars I drive with stock DRLs either dim to be parking lights, or completely black out ones the headlights are switched on.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #27
79F100

Biggest problem with all lights is adjustment.
Most people out on the open road at night are traveling a bit further than normal for them so are more likely to load up the boot. Worst offenders are normally 4x4 owners who seem to compensate for the added load by simply fitting brighter lights. With cars fog lights also get knocked out of line by scraping the bumper on a driveway or speedbump.

Unless you really are spotting Koalas then adjustment is how you get good lights without blinding others.
79F100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Wrong they must dim. If factory fitted that is.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #29
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

It'd be nice if the local wallopers actually did something about the tossers with their foglights on, but that's about as likely as the Victorian gubermint admitting they have a problem with African gang violence.....
Old 05-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Alot of these new cars like Subarus and MY17 mustangs have the DRL's as part of the foglight assembly, same yellow colour too. So its hard to decipher what is what.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post