Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
CitroŽnbender
DIY tragic
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sydney, more than not. I hate it.
Posts: 1,671
Default Respect for the Haka

I was exposed for the first time today, to an unrehearsed haka at a wake for an acquaintance. It's hard to put into words, how profoundly different this was, to what is almost a "showboating" performance in many sporting and social events with an NZ connection.

To witness someone quivering with energy, as if every fibre in their body is hyper-focused, on point and almost supernaturally driven, to feel the ground shake as feet pound, to observe absolute silence as all commands complete attention - this was beyond remarkable.

Even now, eight hours later, I'm still battered by the emotional "charge" of this experience. It's given some insight into how confronting and terrifying the Māori warriors must have been to colonial arrivals.
CitroŽnbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
danzvtil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,027
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Well put mate, I felt exactly the same when I saw the kiwi teenagers perform one after the recent shootings for a fellow classmate.
__________________
____________________
2016 Holden Cruze 1.8 (work bus)
1999 MAZDA MX5 (early mid life crisis-WTF have I done?)
2003 TJ Magna Wagon
2012 Holden Cruze 1.4T GONE
2013 FG ECOPLI UTE GONE
2013 KIA RIO SLS GONE
____________________
danzvtil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Perth
Posts: 3,033
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a bit over it.
It's creeping into all sorts of events, even here in Oz, more and more.
I find it quite confronting and threatening.
I know, that's what it's supposed to be.
It's a war cry/dance is it not, why do they do it at funerals?
Sorry to all the Kiwis out there.
__________________
jaydee351
4DV8
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2019, 11:29 PM   #4
nstg8a
3..2..1..
 
nstg8a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bellbird park
Posts: 6,807
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a bit over it.
It's creeping into all sorts of events, even here in Oz, more and more.
I find it quite confronting and threatening.
I know, that's what it's supposed to be.
It's a war cry/dance is it not, why do they do it at funerals?
Sorry to all the Kiwis out there.


Haka has many different meanings, but your right it is over used in many sporting and social events these days.
It takes a personal experience like the opís to reinforce what theyíre all about.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Happy mcgadget meal orphan mcboofhead
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #5
PooDog
R.I.P. George
 
PooDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: nz
Posts: 937
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a bit over it.
It's creeping into all sorts of events, even here in Oz, more and more.
I find it quite confronting and threatening.
I know, that's what it's supposed to be.
It's a war cry/dance is it not, why do they do it at funerals?
Sorry to all the Kiwis out there.
Agree its over done and cheapened .....if its done at a funeral it is a mark of respect and honour ......as stated if done right and if its some of your mates jump in and perform it , its something that will emotionally move you
__________________
Fgx xr8 winter white manual, twin 3''home made custom exhaust

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member2
 
98TLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,931
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitroŽnbender View Post
I was exposed for the first time today, to an unrehearsed haka at a wake for an acquaintance. It's hard to put into words, how profoundly different this was, to what is almost a "showboating" performance in many sporting and social events with an NZ connection.

To witness someone quivering with energy, as if every fibre in their body is hyper-focused, on point and almost supernaturally driven, to feel the ground shake as feet pound, to observe absolute silence as all commands complete attention - this was beyond remarkable.

Even now, eight hours later, I'm still battered by the emotional "charge" of this experience. It's given some insight into how confronting and terrifying the Māori warriors must have been to colonial arrivals.
To be fair have to say i kind of envy your reaction to it ive lived in NZ all my life and having gone to boarding school at 8 where it was done with monotonous regularity kind of took the edge off,rugby season was the worst and by 10 really was questioning why myself and 14 other skinny little white fellas were doing one before every game of rugby,didnt seem to put the opposition off there game Like most things theres a right time and place but as a constant its lost its mana so to speak.
__________________
Be the man your dog thinks you are.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
Work Horse
Budget Racer
 
Work Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,806
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

No disrespect to the Haka intended but Tommy is a funny guy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7r28D1XM8
__________________
12.1@112Mph 285rwkw on n2o Cleveland Power
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member2
 
98TLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,931
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Not there best effort
https://youtu.be/DdI0g3rENcQ
__________________
Be the man your dog thinks you are.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wellington NZ
Posts: 6,569
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
Agree its over done and cheapened .....if its done at a funeral it is a mark of respect and honour ......as stated if done right and if its some of your mates jump in and perform it , its something that will emotionally move you
It's ones like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM that remind you of the emotion and power in a Haka done at the right time and place. With the rugby they should be limited to Internationals, it almost like it's every game nowadays.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #10
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
smoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,430
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a bit over it.
It's creeping into all sorts of events, even here in Oz, more and more.
I find it quite confronting and threatening.
I know, that's what it's supposed to be.
It's a war cry/dance is it not, why do they do it at funerals?
Sorry to all the Kiwis out there.
I donít think you need to apologise, a lot of kiwis also feel the same way.

When I was year twelve, we went on a school history trip to Anzac cove, Western Front, Ypres, Normandy etc.
Teachers wanted us to do the haka at the significant war memorials, Chanuk Bair etc. as if there was nothing more pathetic than 30 white teenagers from the more affluent inner city suburbs of Wellington at a nearly all white school doing a haka.
The only thing that could top that for cringe worthy ness is ****ed white kiwis on their OE in the UK/Europe/Canada doing the haka in a bar or street, all for attention.


Iím not bothered by it, but Iíve never got my head around the haka at war memorials and Anzac Day, its contradictory and it would be akin to dragging a woman through the front doors of a womenís refuge or sufferage centre by her hair.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #11
mick taylor
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 304
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

I have always despised how it's promoted all the time, I am sick of it's backward display and just such degenerate to display it, like they do everywhere, it should be kept back in their tribal settings.

It makes me angry that I will walk away and dismiss such as just backward display of stupidity or I will just feel like I want to take them on, when they do it as such always comes across as totally insulting to me.

Anyone who try's to act tough or such in front of me .
mick taylor is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #12
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wellington NZ
Posts: 6,569
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
I have always despised how it's promoted all the time, I am sick of it's backward display and just such degenerate to display it, like they do everywhere, it should be kept back in their tribal settings.

It makes me angry that I will walk away and dismiss such as just backward display of stupidity or I will just feel like I want to take them on, when they do it as such always comes across as totally insulting to me.

Anyone who try's to act tough or such in front of me .
Of the multitude of moronic posts you have put on this site this has to be the dumbest yet and you did set the bar quite high to start with. Deliberately trolling or are you that much of a moron?
Itís a cultural thing, are you intimidated or insulted by any other cultural displays or just the haka?
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #13
Bevsta007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Bevsta007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 5,343
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Haka has come a long way since this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emJyEa4z2Ec

Growing up as a Kiwi and loving rugby, I always look forward to watching it at the start of every All Blacks game. but it doesn't belong everywhere
This is ok with the Tall blacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2GrYTMOfbg

These are not,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3kYNKuX8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9BJbQte-3c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGjs8lD-Q_M
__________________
______________________________
Mine 2015 Territory Titanium RWD Diesel
Hers 2004 Prado Grande 3.0D
Ours Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Bevsta007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
 
FTE217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,655
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Some very good posts, I like the ones from you white kiwis, I would feel the same I expect.
I have always liked it but it is overdone in this day and age.
They should treasure it more and for high profile select events.
Not sure about every AB game, friendlies what for but full on International games absolutely.
Question ?
Which other NZ team sports use it ? or is it mostly the AB's ?
__________________
Hello.
Sprint8 manual Sept 24
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
nstg8a
3..2..1..
 
nstg8a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bellbird park
Posts: 6,807
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Some very good posts, I like the ones from you white kiwis, I would feel the same I expect.
I have always liked it but it is overdone in this day and age.
They should treasure it more and for high profile select events.
Not sure about every AB game, friendlies what for but full on International games absolutely.
Question ?
Which other NZ team sports use it ? or is it mostly the AB's ?


All blacks and kiwis are the only mainstream/major sports I think that do it before each game as part of their official pre game.

Most others itís more of a case by case deal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Happy mcgadget meal orphan mcboofhead
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #16
five 7
Regular Member
 
five 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 313
Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
It's ones like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM that remind you of the emotion and power in a Haka done at the right time and place. With the rugby they should be limited to Internationals, it almost like it's every game nowadays.
"White boys can't jump" leave it to the dudes that invented it, and save it for a appropriate time, not the opening of a paper bag. That was a moving Haka, and for the right reason. But there was a few in there that looked right out of place.
Cheers..
five 7 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Other than what is legally copyrighted by the respective owners, this site is copyright www.fordforums.com.au
Positive SSL