Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The trials and tribulations of owning an e series

I thought id start the ball off on this thread. I have recently gained an e series falcon an EA fairmont after selling my EB many years ago and i certainly been an eye opener is it just me or are they not as bad as they have been portrayed?
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Default Re: The trials and tribulations of owning an e series

They're a great car as long as you keep the cooling system in good condition and are able to take care of niggly things like p/s tensioners.
Old 24-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luckily this car was my father inlaws and it was reasonably well looked after it has a newish radiator the water pump has been replaced the fan clutch replaced some of the welsh plugs replaced the coolant but havent changed the tensioners as yet.
Old 24-03-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I've fond memories.

My 1994 ED was MUCH better finished than my 2004 Territory. It seems that during the intervening decade Ford Au forgot how, or just didn't care/bother, to paint a car. They had also got heavier but more fragile than the good old E-series. First of the modern Falcons IMHO.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #5
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The paint on the EA isn't too bad either considering its 28 years old just a few blemishes.
Old 24-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I love the EA's, was the first new Falcon I vividly remember being released as I was 12yrs old then.
Bugger if you see any on the road these days, and when I do it definitely catches my attention.
Glad to see you're keeping one going.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks peps i even found a copy of the book released when they were new it was done by wheels called the EA 26 story ive even managed to get the dealer brochures for the EA in all of its variants except s pack.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 12:24 AM   #8
stock1991
Striving towards ordinary
Donating Member1

a pic of said Fairmont in magnificent blue mist

stock1991 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I miss my old Ea S Pack, my first modern Falcon a long long time ago, it drove & went great for what it was at the time, plus it looked way better imo than its competitors too lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

04 WP Fiesta Zetec runabout, suprisingly delightful twisty road muncher (me lol, Jan 2019)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2018, 01:19 AM   #10
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ordered and received the interior paint but you you wouldn't read about it was the wrong colour . Oh well back to the drawing board. The plastics were one of the biggest problems ive had with this car to date its amazing for a car that spent most of its time in the family undercover how it has deteriorated i have replacement plastics but getting them the right colour is the challenge.
Old 25-03-2018, 01:28 AM   #11
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

I had a monza red March 88 EA wagon with 5 speed manual many moons ago. I originally bought it for the T5 to throw into my XW at the time with 230,597 km on it. But it was too good to wreck and as my then Missus and myself had just become the proud owners of a new baby, it worked as a good trade up from her TF Corty. The service book was a litany of sins. It went back under warranty for two new gearboxes, a radiator, valve cover gasket, suspension woes and in all, about three pages of stuff (I guess Ford actually tried to fix problems back then, instead of the more common "they all do that" approach of today)

I drove it hard for many a kilometre, with the only work done to it, other than regular oil and filter changes being a bit of rust in the right hand dogleg, a clutch for the fan, drivers window from a misplaced rock whilst edging and brake pads.

After the Missus and I separated, she drove it for a couple years with absolutely no maintenance. The worst offence (that I know of) being to drive it about 90km with not a jot of oil in it and then wonder why it smelled funny and what the lights on the dash could possibly mean .. It lived on for another year and then met its death at the hands of a wrecker somewhere with over 500,000 km on it.

I still think fondly of that car, as it looked the part, was always reliable, comfortable, had the coldest of air con and could happily eat up the miles.. And that T5 was the silkiest, smoothest of cog boxes to play with, having come from three speed column manuals and "flash" single rails. And I really can't see what all the negative press was about. Sure, I would have hated to be the original owner, with all of the warranty work. But by the time I got it, it was in fine form.

Cheers, Tony
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #12
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats's the thing with any of them now - all the bugs have been well & truly sorted out, so they have become reliable over time.

Each model goes through those phases:

Phase 1: Brand new cars, bugs are found, warranty work is done, word gets out as many of the new buyers aren't DIY people (and in the Falcon's case back then, many were fleet cars) so the driver's only see "big issues" with any warranty repair.

Phase 2: Been on the market for a 1-2 years - they start entering the 2nd hand market in decent numbers (back then many govt fleets spun cars out at 40K). Bugs are still being fixed, but there's less of them, as dealer feedback has helped them refine the parts or processes. DIY people start to come up with fixes.

Phase 3: Model has been out 3-5 years. Large volumes coming off 3 year leases are hitting the 2nd hand market. Buyers are middle class, a significant number of them are DIY enthusiasts, and they start sharing their ideas for budget, reliable fixes, and it spreads (in the internet age, this is now Ford Forums). This is also where insurance companies are starting to write off cars for seemingly insignificant bingles, so the attrition rate starts to increase.

Phase 4: About the 10 year mark, through to about 15, but with more modern cars it's now about 20. This is when they enter the "bogan phase" where lower income families buy them just for transport - eg dropping little Johnny and his 3 half-borthers to school, and picking up the beer on the way home from centrelink. It's really down to 2 types of owners by now - the enthusiasts who love them, and look after them well (as well as those who are simply caring owners, but may not be enthusiasts - like Grandpas). The other type are the aforementioned bogans - these cars get stolen, trashed, sold to wreckers when the rego repairs exceed $500 etc. Many of them in bingles now get sold for scrap - so the attrition rate is high, but also skewed - those who look after them drive them more carefully, and also keep them on full comp insurance, so minor bingles don't result in a one-way trip to the scrapyard.

And finally: Phase 5. This is where you are. All the problem cars have been fixed. All the ****boxes have been scrapped, and the only ones left are owned by enthusiasts, or caring, sentimental owners. The quality of these vehicles is abnormally high because of this, giving owners the impression they are fantastically reliable.....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The nail has well and truly been hit on the head!
Old 25-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #14
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess mine sort of falls into scenario 5 and although my father inlaw wasn't an enthusiast by any means it was just a car to him it was always garaged and towards the end rarely driven and sure it has its faults that i have rectified thus far and a few more that i have to attend to it at least is a good one to start with.
The problem i can see in the future is parts availability not so much hard parts but model and trim specifics as the wrecker source starts to dry up and whats left at the wreckers is the dreggs of aforementioned phase 4 type cars. I suppose its a bit like the guys with the xd- xf cars. My coupe is in the same boat.
Old 25-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
marty351
Shenanigans..............

You can also add P platers to the bogan phase. Great post btw.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #16
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
You can also add P platers to the bogan phase. Great post btw.
Yeah the whole p plater thing is doing that to my b series now insurance is higher and the attrition rate is starting to climb.
Old 25-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #17
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
Yeah the whole p plater thing is doing that to my b series now insurance is higher and the attrition rate is starting to climb.

Bactrian camels.....
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #18
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Bactrian camels.....
Sorry man you have lost me
Old 25-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #19
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also known as the Engineering bathtub curve of reliability.
A new machine will start off with multiple issues (top of the bathtub) which are slowly ironed out, then you have a good period of reliability (bottom of the tub) before finally the machine reaches a certain age where issues begin to arise again (other top side of the bathtub).

So you missed Phase 6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Thats's the thing with any of them now - all the bugs have been well & truly sorted out, so they have become reliable over time.

Phase 1: Brand new cars, bugs are found, warranty work is done, word gets out as many of the new buyers aren't DIY people (and in the Falcon's case back then, many were fleet cars) so the driver's only see "big issues" with any warranty repair.

Phase 2: Been on the market for a 1-2 years - they start entering the 2nd hand market in decent numbers (back then many govt fleets spun cars out at 40K). Bugs are still being fixed, but there's less of them, as dealer feedback has helped them refine the parts or processes. DIY people start to come up with fixes.

Phase 3: Model has been out 3-5 years. Large volumes coming off 3 year leases are hitting the 2nd hand market. Buyers are middle class, a significant number of them are DIY enthusiasts, and they start sharing their ideas for budget, reliable fixes, and it spreads (in the internet age, this is now Ford Forums). This is also where insurance companies are starting to write off cars for seemingly insignificant bingles, so the attrition rate starts to increase.

Phase 4: About the 10 year mark, through to about 15, but with more modern cars it's now about 20. This is when they enter the "bogan phase" where lower income families buy them just for transport - eg dropping little Johnny and his 3 half-borthers to school, and picking up the beer on the way home from centrelink. It's really down to 2 types of owners by now - the enthusiasts who love them, and look after them well (as well as those who are simply caring owners, but may not be enthusiasts - like Grandpas). The other type are the aforementioned bogans - these cars get stolen, trashed, sold to wreckers when the rego repairs exceed $500 etc. Many of them in bingles now get sold for scrap - so the attrition rate is high, but also skewed - those who look after them drive them more carefully, and also keep them on full comp insurance, so minor bingles don't result in a one-way trip to the scrapyard.

And finally: Phase 5. This is where you are. All the problem cars have been fixed. All the ****boxes have been scrapped, and the only ones left are owned by enthusiasts, or caring, sentimental owners. The quality of these vehicles is abnormally high because of this, giving owners the impression they are fantastically reliable.....
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 12:33 AM   #20
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, the bathtub curve rises up again in phase 4 - notably "...when the rego repairs exceed $500 etc."

It's well & truly in that 10-15 year window when those faults, mostly caused by wear & tear, but also age, compound at a rapid rate, and the attrition rate goes ballistic as people don't want to pay to fix a car that's worth less than the repair bill.
This is evidenced by the numerous BAs and even some BFs in wreckers, with seemingly nothing wrong with them appearance wise, but the odd note on the windscreen like "bad trans" or "intermittent ECU fault" and stuff like that.

By the time you get to phase 5, the daily driver duties are all but gone from the lives of most of these cars, and the fault rate also plummets, as they are no longer wearing them out at the same pace.

Phase 6 would be club rego ;)
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #21
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sold a few phase 4's recently. That was a fun experience.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

My 91 pearl black Fairmont is getting a full rebuild on the 5.0
with generally XR8 upgrades ported GT 40P heads and ported lower
GT40 intake drilled ATS port baby lunati cam and YT roller rockers,
XR8 shorty headers a 2.5 cat back 24 lb injectors and bigger pump.

Pray for me, she’s now in a million bits...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #23
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see another e series being done my first e series was an EB XR8 many moons ago.
Old 26-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #24
GasOLane
Donating Member2

Phase 6.1?

Old 26-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More like 4.1 this old girl aint coming back maybe a source of parts maybe not even that. As i was once told to get good parts you somtimes have to wreck good cars.
Old 26-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #26
roKWiz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Phase 6.1?

Fond memories of staying at Junee caravan park.

VT903 Cummins K125 Kenworth | 6V53 Detroit Ford LN8000 Louisville
4 X 0409 Ford traders | Nanni diesel 30ft Hartley silver Image yacht
and the mighty 4.1 XF Ford Pano
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #27
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always wanted to check out the Junee roundhouse one day the EA might visit.
Old 26-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #28
GasOLane
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
I've always wanted to check out the Junee roundhouse one day the EA might visit.
The licorice and Chocolate factory is more fun
Old 26-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #29
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could that as well a mans gotta eat
Old 26-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #30
stock1991
Striving towards ordinary
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post

I guess mine was a phase 4, albeit at that time 23 years old. A grandpas car, saying that ,it was neglected, motor covered in oil, trans fluid jet black. It was running fine though, ancient plugs and leads. It needed rocker gasket and front crankshaft seal, other than the shot exhaust nothing else mechanical. I still am surprised how well it runs for an old engine
stock1991 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post