Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #31
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: G6E turbo or n/a?

My biggest two regrets in life, well ok... the last ten years are....not buying the apartment across the hall from where my wife (girlfriend back then) lived as it doubled in price in 2.5 years...the second..selling my G6ET.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #32
EF ECTIV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My G6ET makes the daily 45-60 each way trip to work and back bareable...

Unbelievable cars for the price... other thing to consider it the likely extra
value of the turbo when it comes time for you to sell...

1998 EL XR8 S2, Oxford, Manual, tickford kit
Project

2013 G6ET

Stock daily

2022 Patrol TiL
Stock daily
EF ECTIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #33
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I have a 1 hour / 85km trip to work, so I'm doing around 900km a week.

Hence why I bought the FGX G6ET

It makes light work of the journey. Highway cruising it's good on fuel, but has the guts to overtake anything it needs to.

I bought it with 11,000km on it 15 months ago, it's got 63,000 on it now....I hate putting so much mileage on a great car like this....but I guess that's what they're for

Those saying 95 minimum...not sure if pre-FGX is different, but the FGX manual states 95 can be used, but it will affect performance and economy, and they advise 98 be used. I mean come on, for the few extra cents per litre it costs, why skimp on it?

I love my G6ET....owned 5 Falcons (EA S Pac, EF Fairmont Ghia, EL XR6, BF II Fairmont Ghia, FGX G6ET), this is my first turbo. And I dare say I won't ever own a non-turbo again....if I do it'll only be a V8
Old 23-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post

Those saying 95 minimum...not sure if pre-FGX is different, but the FGX manual states 95 can be used, but it will affect performance and economy, and they advise 98 be used. I mean come on, for the few extra cents per litre it costs, why skimp on it?
Maybe go check your manual. 95 is the minimum reccomended. 91 has a performance loss. 98 is optimum performance
Old 23-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #35
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Maybe go check your manual. 95 is the minimum reccomended. 91 has a performance loss. 98 is optimum performance
Ah yes, that's right it does say 91 has the performance loss, as you'd expect.

But if 98 is "optimal", then there's also going to be a difference in performance between 95 and 98. Going tight **** and running 95 for the sake of a few dollars per 68l tank seems silly to me, when you've spent hard earned dollars on such a good car.
Old 23-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #36
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:

.... And the strangest part is that Ford state the 270KW at the fly is based on RON 95.

Why not give the KW rating at 98 if that is optimum performance?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
.... And the strangest part is that Ford state the 270KW at the fly is based on RON 95.

Why not give the KW rating at 98 if that is optimum performance?
This is the same with the N/A cars as well from my understanding ... the power/torque figures are meant to be more again on 98.

At least they don't falsify their information like other car makers and use over-inflated numbers
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2018, 12:16 AM   #38
g650

So just to clarify, going non turbo means you can justify keeping the TE50..?

I'd go the NA if that were the case, and look forward to the more fun drive on the weekends like you said.

The turbo will push you back in the seat for sure, but won't be as fun as a cable throttle stick shift V8 in a lighter body... Also won't sound anywhere near as good.

Avoiding the lower profiles and turbo suspension gets you a better daily ride in a NA too.
g650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #39
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Only problem with a turbo is that the power gets old after a few weeks/months and you need to spend a heap of cash to make them faster... then that power gets boring so a 15-20 grand car costs 30g before you know it lol,if your happy to do that buy a turbo,they are fun.
I ended up selling my g6et and bought a manual s3 au xr8,its slower but sounds a lot better and is a lot more fun to drive!!!
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #40
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go the eco lpi if you are worried about fuel use
198kw and cheap to run, only issue is finding somewhere to fill up

my daily is an FG XT egas, best car for road tripping but i must sort my fill up locations before i head off. the stock XT was boring so its now got full leather XR trim and full XR suspension, not bad for $3000 all up
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #41
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Just taken on a new job that involves a 45min drive each way so decided to buy something to make it a little easier, looking at FG G6E.
Where are you located?

Although my circumstances are not the same, I recently sold my F6 ute for baby duties and not wanting to ruin waste an FPV for daily duties. I looked at G6Et's but especially the MkII value is still pretty high. G6Et's will not hold value, but yet have the punch for highway use and putting around town.

I ended up contacting Heinrichs who I use for tuning and parts. I paid cash for a MkII G6Et with higher than average kms because it ad been used up and down the freeways in Adelaide, but recently had a built motor - but I paid well under market value. Not had any issues besides the typical breakdown of bushes in the suspension and driveline components.

If youre in Adelaide, Bruce is always and wheeling and dealing building, repairing and selling cars. I did have the opportunity to buy a mkII fg xr6t with all FGXt interior and running gear with 50,000kms for 20k from him, but wasn't in the right place at the right time.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #42
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You gotta get the G6E Turbo... I still miss (and regret selling) my FG XR6T which I bought Brand new in 2009....

These turbo Barra's are great in that when you are just commuting, you can pretty much drive them off boost and it behaves almost like an NA one with Economy that's actually pretty good... But when the mood strikes and you want to have some fun, that engine goes into Mr Hyde mode and its a totally different animal....

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
This is the same with the N/A cars as well from my understanding ... the power/torque figures are meant to be more again on 98.

At least they don't falsify their information like other car makers and use over-inflated numbers
Correct. The quoted power figures are from 95ron.
Old 25-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #44
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Horses for courses quite literally. I would love a XR6T because I have been in one recently..Boy that was amazing .All three times I've experienced (never driven though yet) a Falcon Turbo it's been fantastic.

But that aside.

I own a N/A XR6 FG though and I can honestly say it's an absolute joy to drive. It's quick enough most of the time , it's bloody economical enough most of the time and our crappy roads that I drive most of the time are eaten up by my N/A . XR 6 easily.. For me it's an all round good choice but...........
Geez a nice turbo would be not essential or absolutely needed , just very very desirable to say the least. Maybe one day..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #45
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Why go turbo...

The turbo feels like you are driving with 2 x NA’s under the bonnet when mildly tuned

FG turbo ... Ford publicly under rates them at 270 KWs at the fly to keep the V8 boys happy, but they are more like 300 KWs in reality.

They pull on average 240 rwkws on the dyno stock.
(Mine pulled 249 with airbox and cat back before tune).

Spend another $2,000 on a tune and injectors and you can add another 40 to 50 rwkws easy.

So you now have 280 to 300 rwkws.

FG NA .... 195 KWs at the fly... A little more on 98.... Maybe 205.
Stock on the dyno they pull between 140 - 160 rwkws.

Turbo .... Twice the power of an NA at the rears.... That is why they are so exciting to drive.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #46
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Correct. The quoted power figures are from 95ron.
Stretching my memory here and maybe you can add.

I seem to recall that the na motors were kept under 200kw for a reason.
I can't remember what that reason was though, I'm thinking possible p plate limitations or a tax that Ford wanted to avoid. Like the alcohol tax in Australia where our spirits are mostly 37% to get them under a tax cut off.

Keep in mind this was 2007 legislation.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Stretching my memory here and maybe you can add.

I seem to recall that the na motors were kept under 200kw for a reason.
I can't remember what that reason was though, I'm thinking possible p plate limitations or a tax that Ford wanted to avoid. Like the alcohol tax in Australia where our spirits are mostly 37% to get them under a tax cut off.

Keep in mind this was 2007 legislation.
I think there was a 200kw limit for P platers in some states. Thats why the LPI was 198kw when it was supposed to be 210. And even that 210 was detuned. The first test engines made even more but the NA rear ends didn't like it, and fitting the turbo rear ends was more expensive.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #48
Swordie

NA 6 will have enough grunt.

With lots of power it can get you into and out of trouble. Depends how you use it.

I have driven FG X Turbo 6. It is very easy to go quick. Plenty enough for me.

Torque comes in handy when doing lots of driving. Makes the experience more effortless.

XR6T is a future classic.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #49
g650

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Why go turbo...

The turbo feels like you are driving with 2 x NA’s under the bonnet when mildly tuned

FG turbo ... Ford publicly under rates them at 270 KWs at the fly to keep the V8 boys happy, but they are more like 300 KWs in reality.

They pull on average 240 rwkws on the dyno stock.
(Mine pulled 249 with airbox and cat back before tune).

Spend another $2,000 on a tune and injectors and you can add another 40 to 50 rwkws easy.

So you now have 280 to 300 rwkws.

FG NA .... 195 KWs at the fly... A little more on 98.... Maybe 205.
Stock on the dyno they pull between 140 - 160 rwkws.

Turbo .... Twice the power of an NA at the rears.... That is why they are so exciting to drive.
Did not realise the rwkw difference was that much... If I looked for a FG again and good turbos were in my budget, it would be a no brainer.

Maybe the best argument for the NAs now is you can get one with the ZF for under 10k, and if a G6E almost be guaranteed it was looked after.
g650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #50
attilla
Starter Motor

any one know how to remove window washer reservoir bottle from g6eturbo? all help is appreciated
attilla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #51
Seasoned One
Seasoned One

remove linear passenger wheel cover, I think 3 screws (scrivets) and a couple of push in clips, access is then enough to unclog wiring and prise pump out.
1967 xr Falcon ute 289
1966 xr Fairmont 289
Seasoned One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #52
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Turbo Barra is like Hot N Spicy KFC. Once you’ve sampled it, you can no longer stomach original recipe KFC
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post