Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
ESPJG32

Default body swaps

Hey Guys,

This one is for older guys who worked in the panel industry.
Reading the latest Aust Muscle Car in the Muscle Mail section there is a letter from a guy who was an apprentice in 1974 and he talks about crashed cars getting re bodied as a matter of course - new bodies were bought from the factory and a car was re bodied onto a new shell, it seems like GM, Ford and BMC were supplying new shells to the industry to make repairs to badly damaged cars more viable- probably even insurance jobs.

I know it is now a very touchy subject and considered illegal now - don't respond with "its illegal" etc - I am not asking for your opinion - I am asking the guys who were in the industry back then - did it happen and did it happen a lot??
I know it has happened for race cars - it's the road cars of the era I am interested in-thanks
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: body swaps

It would have been legal, the body would have been issued with a new ID number & must be approved by an engineering firm for compliance.

One of my friends actually purchased a brand new body from Ford in 1999 for his EL & had to get an engineer for compliance before Vic Roads issued new body ID.

OBTW the body was not cheap & in the long run probably little savings compared to purchasing another vehicle.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPJG32 View Post
Hey Guys,

Reading the latest Aust Muscle Car in the Muscle Mail section there is a letter from a guy who was an apprentice in 1974 and he talks about crashed cars getting re bodied as a matter of course - new bodies were bought from the factory and a car was re bodied onto a new shell, it seems like GM, Ford and BMC were supplying new shells to the industry to make repairs to badly damaged cars more viable- probably even insurance jobs.

I know it is now a very touchy subject and considered illegal now - don't respond with "its illegal" etc - I am not asking for your opinion - I am asking the guys who were in the industry back then - did it happen and did it happen a lot??
I know it has happened for race cars - it's the road cars of the era I am interested in-thanks
Your talking early 70's late 60's I don't see why it wouldn't have been viable back then, labour was cheap and the cars a lot less complicated.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
ESPJG32

Hi Guys,

TruBlu, you are thinking about the later era, yes compliance would be an issue in the later times.

The Letter was talking about the earlier days, compliance didnt exist back then or was just starting - ADR's didnt start till jan 1970 and even then it was about things like seatbelts etc.

I am just trying to get a feel for how much of it was likely to have happened - no new body ID's in those days I believe.

There could be some cars out there still that were actually re bodied in the day and no one thought any more about it. I imagine most of those cars would have finished up in the crusher in later years when no one saw any value in them, but maybe, just maybe there is still some out there, that is why I am trying to figure out was it done a lot??
Old 22-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Happened fairly regularly in the 70s & 80s.An XF sedan body with all panels painted white was under $4000.I knew a fellow who bought a badly damaged rollover ZL Fairlane for $5000 and $7000 for a complete body and a few secondhand bits and pieces.$12000 and a couple of weeks work he had an $18000 car.Took it Vicroads and registered.Had an argument at Vic Roads because they wanted to hit him for stamp duty on $18000 not the $1200 it cost him
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
ESPJG32

Hi Tassie F100 - Ah yes.... the Govt missing out on revenue, we cant let that happen can we!!!
Old 22-02-2017, 06:44 PM   #7
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hey Guys,

It's another of those "You know, Ford did a lot of strange things back in the day" myths I reckon, along with people who reckon their 78' Fairlane has a factory-fitted winged sump and 4V heads

I know older people who have worked in insurance all their lives and they all laugh when I bring up the topic of factory replacement body shells. If a car was that badly damaged that it need a new shell it was written off by the insurer.

As AMC magazine runs out of decent copy it's starting to fill the pages with tripe like this. The same column has some knucklehead claiming that an RPO had one drum and one disc for brakes. Yeah... sure And Auction Action in the same issue details an automatic XA GT with factory 4V heads
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Remember seeing bare bodies quite frequently in the 80's.
White sedans for sale, mainly around northern suburbs of Melbourne.
Old 22-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I know older people who have worked in insurance all their lives and they all laugh when I bring up the topic of factory replacement body shells. If a car was that badly damaged that it need a new shell it was written off by the insurer.
How much labour does it cost to have a production line worker fit parts to a new vehicle?

How much labour does it cost for a panel beater to remove parts from one vehicle and fit them to another?

Can't see it being viable, especially when you consider all the little things like interior parts, underlay, roof trim, wiring, weather seals.
Old 22-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #10
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the Book "Ford Australia: The Cars and The People Who Built Them" it shows a 1960's photo of spare parts in the factory, with a couple of XP(?) Falcon body shells sitting on top of the parts shelves.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=FairmontGS;5883094]It's another of those "You know, Ford did a lot of strange things back in the day" myths I reckon, along with people who reckon their 78' Fairlane has a factory-fitted winged sump and 4V heads

Your "friends" would be correct in saying the insurance co,s wrote the vehicle off but that didn't mean that people wouldn't buy the wreck and rebuild it with a new body shell
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

You could order a "body in white" (replacement shell) from ford up until the AU run ended iirc.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #13
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have the 'Ford Aus car and the people who built them' book, on page 107 are a Zephyr and XK Falcon bodies 'on the shelf' as spare parts.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #14
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
Remember seeing bare bodies quite frequently in the 80's.
White sedans for sale, mainly around northern suburbs of Melbourne.
A lot later than that as well, certainly into the 90's maybe even the noughties. Bare Falcon 'bodies in white' used to be advertised in Unique Cars/Just cars and similar publications for just this purpose. From memory the sellers were some of the larger dealership spare parts depts.

2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Your "friends" would be correct in saying the insurance co,s wrote the vehicle off but that didn't mean that people wouldn't buy the wreck and rebuild it with a new body shell
Correct, but maybe go back and read the OP's original question regarding what went on in the industry, not in your mate's brothers' back yard...
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #16
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happened in the 90's, my friends P plater brother slid his VS Calais sideways into a tree, after much too-ing and fro-ing with the insurance co, it was a replacement body shell, car was worth 30k at the time.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 22-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I remember seeing an XW HO shell advertised by a panel shop closing down, in Unique Cars or some similar mag, back in the late 80s'-early 90's that was described as a rebody shell that was never used. Can't remember too much more about it except it had all the correct HO body mods over the regular shell, and thinking that it would have to be one VEERRRYYY rare item and worth a motsa.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #18
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a place where VL Walkinshaws went to become born again in the early 90's.. 18 is the official number of how many and yes I am deadset serious they all went through the same workshop. I can't speak for other types of cars buy I know the VB-VL HDT/HSV cars were his specialty for rebodies.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #19
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon body shells were available via Ford spare parts in the late 90's - I was selling parts at a Ford dealer at the time. I remember one time Ford were doing a deal and they bought several in, had a yard full of them. At least a few found their way onto the second hand lot filled with a crashed donor vehicle's bits.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #20
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

I was doing my apprenticeship in the mid 70s, never done or heard of a rebody in the industry, there were a lot of cut & shuts. Even back then I couldn't see it being viable for a business to do it or an insurance company paying for it, considering cars were written off at 75% of the value. Maybe it was done privately, but you could buy bodies for all brands
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #21
Warrenk

Although it is illegal to rebirth a car with a aftermarket body, it proberbly will be legal if the vehicle is built under the guidlines of an ICV.

Warren
Old 22-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #22
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I commenced my panel beating apprenticeship at a country Qld Ford dealership in 1976 and qualified as a tradesman in 1980. I then worked for only a few more years in the trade before realising that it wasn't something I wanted to keep doing for the rest of my life.

I can only recall doing one re-body during that time and that was in about 1978/79. The vehicle was an XC S pack sedan, 4.9 and may have been a manual and was 'Satin Spruce' in colour. It belonged to our dealership Service Manager and he managed to put it on it's roof when it was only about a month old.

It was an insurance job and my boss quoted to repair it using a new body. It was a pretty big job but as the car was almost new it was obviously an economical way to do it because otherwise the insurance company would have written it off.

As far as body numbers and compliance plates are concerned, I clearly recall we simply swapped the plates to the new shell (holes were already there) and stamped the original numbers onto the new body using a set of stamps we borrowed from the dealership mechanical workshop. No one would have considered if it was legal or not back then - we were just trying to make his damaged car like new again!

We absolutely loaded that new body with 'Rust Rid' rust prevention product before it was reassembled as we were the local agents for it. Barring any subsequent major bingles, if that car survives today I'll bet it would be almost rust free!

Cheers,

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #23
4stanger