Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 01-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Dadowiz
Cat Lover

Default Hesitation

Hi everyone,

I have a hesitation on my 01 5sp Cougar that I just cant get rid of. The hesitation is down low, below 3400rpm. It gets worse if I press the pedal down further. Not so evident in the higher rpm's, the IMRC appears to work fine as I can feel a surge of power past 3400rpm.

Work done so far:
Replace Plugs
Replaed Leads
Completed Focus SVT fuel pump fix (As per NECO)
Changed fuel filter
Checked all plug gaps
Vacuum leak tested (water bottle method)

And for the life of me cant figure out what it is. I am thinking it may be coilpack but dont want to fork out money if not necessary.

I am not getting a check engine light and I have checked to ensure the check engine light works.....

Does anyone have a code reader/scanner they can hook up to my car to see if it is one lead/plug that is causing the hesitation in the Sydney area?

Even if anyone is a mechanical genius that can help me diagnose it.

Anyway I live in Blacktown so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Greg

Dadowiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
pcperfection
Cougar

Could still be the IRMC getting stuck in the open position giving too
much fuel low down and fine when in the 3000+ range, they are know
to get stuck/fail in either position, a dyno shop should be able to
confirm this.

Cheers
Mark
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Dadowiz
Cat Lover

Thanks Mark,

I have checked out the IMRC. Opened it to ensure the system was opening and also watched the cable connection points to see the runners opening.

My gut feeling is that one of my plugs or leads are bad. When I bought the car it had a hesitation over 3400 rpm's (fuel pump problem). I changed the fuel pump and leads/plugs on the same day and my problem went from being a hesitation over 3400rpm, to one below...talk about a bummer...

I think I will just have to take it to Ford so they can put it on diagnostics for me. I just hate paying money for something I think will be really simple to fix...
Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Thunderbird

Possible crank position sensor fault.. similiar occured on a 2000 cougar not that long back.. # was 1S7E-6C315BA from Ford or go to a repco and see if there is an interchange available.. can't be that difficult for them.
Regards the other posting.... whatever you did maybe you ****ed them off.. or something - but I've had no issues and as I said at least somebody is trying to help us.

On the miss also.. is it only when hot /cold / or always...?? Dynatune apparently has the diagnostics equipment if there is one near you talk to them too.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Dadowiz
Cat Lover

Hey Thunderbird,

Thanks for the idea on the TPS. I might hit a Dynatune and get the to diagnose it for me.

Also in the other post, I hear what your saying, it is nice for someone to actually know and care about the Cougars in Oz.

Cheers!

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Possible crank position sensor fault.. similiar occured on a 2000 cougar not that long back.. # was 1S7E-6C315BA from Ford or go to a repco and see if there is an interchange available.. can't be that difficult for them.
Regards the other posting.... whatever you did maybe you ****ed them off.. or something - but I've had no issues and as I said at least somebody is trying to help us.

On the miss also.. is it only when hot /cold / or always...?? Dynatune apparently has the diagnostics equipment if there is one near you talk to them too.