Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #241
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Even hotter Kia Stinger in the works

Good job Kia.

But what's up with those Commodore numbers, I've never seen a vf that slow before?
All of a sudden its lost 0.6s in 0-100, thats a huge amount over a short distance.

I'm rapidly losing faith in automotive journalism.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #242
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Good job Kia.

But what's up with those Commodore numbers, I've never seen a vf that slow before?
All of a sudden its lost 0.6s in 0-100, thats a huge amount over a short distance.

I'm rapidly losing faith in automotive journalism.
It is what it is on the day. No same car has same performance week to week over different tests. We do however see the same old excuses week to week when the results arent whats expected.

KIA is quick... VF is slower.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #243
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
It is what it is on the day. No same car has same performance week to week over different tests. We do however see the same old excuses week to week when the results arent whats expected.

Yep no argument about the kia.

But over half a second slower on a short run? That's not temperature related imo.
I have no bun in this fight, so I'm not taking sides. Merely an observation.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #244
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Sat in a Stinger this morning, nice car, unfortunately it was sold so no test drive.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #245
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:

I'd probably take a more prudent approach at the moment and wait for some more data before making a broader conclusion. Caradvice were after some clickbait as usual; their "test" wasn't conducted on a drag strip, the cars weren't run side by side, they were relying on a vbox or similar on a backroad that wasn't even straight. Certainly not the kind of testing conditions I'd rely on. Then there's Paul Maric, but I'll leave that.

Looking at other publications, Motor Trend recently tested the Stinger on an actual drag strip and got 13.3 @ 106, pretty much spot on with previous testing and what you'd expect for its power and weight. Drive tested the Stinger against the SS and the Kia, on average, was slower. Caradvice's backroad test is the anomaly here. I would be surprised (pleasantly, I might add) if we see anything near a 12.7 from a customer delivered car at a drag strip. I assume Paul knows this too, but that doesn't make for good clickbait.

Numbers aside, Drive's impressions were much more informative than Maric's 'by the numbers' approach. They posted a fairly detailed video review and the newly-minted bandwagon of newby Kia fanboys are losing their minds in the comments. Some of the defences are hilarious, "but the Stinger was born at the Nurburging". It's true, car marketers can almost sell oxygen to some of these people.

Anyway, the review was a head to head with an SS Redline and the Kia, believe it or not, isn't perfect. They noted large flaws with the gearbox (constantly confused + overrides tiptronic input, nanny style) turn-in and steering feel not on the same level as the Redline, chassis is twitchy, brake feel not comparable to Redline, unpleasant engine note and a general lack of any form of character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyeLPHo5PBs
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #246
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Im not an advocate for either car....
If i had to choose though id go the SSV because im a V8 zealot and i love the sound they make.
Interesting how the commentary is quite despondent regarding the KIAs linear power delivery but the peaky and low end torque deficit of the SSV is somehow better and more of a “race engine” with an awesome top end kick. Somehow this wasnt the same praise of the BOSS 290/315 engines during reviews but now with the SS on the backfoot slightly it seems to be something called “character’ and adds excitement. So many lols.....

Sure the KIA needs more real world reviews and tests but so far so good and some repeated testing to check on perdormance after heatsoak will give better indication on its potential.

I wonder how far away that modified exhaust for the KIA is because it sounds rubbish considering its intent as a GT car.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 14-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #247
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last SS commodore is Holden's 30th generation/attempt? performance saloon. Stinger is Kia's first? Holden don't make them anymore or for much longer, Kia just started production.
Kudos to Kia! comporable car out of the box, should only get better.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #248
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The more reviews I read on the Stinger, the more I'm beginning to think that Kia Australia has spent more time marketing the car as a SS replacement than actually creating a product that can genuinely deliver what XR/SS buyers crave.

In markets outside of Australia, the Stinger was aimed at luxury rivals (C-Class/ 3 Series / A4 ect). And yet Kia Australia, quite rightly, have seen an opportunity to turn the thing into a Commodore/Falcon replacement just as the factories all fall silent. Smart and opportunistic. But the more I read, it seems that even with "local tuning" (very limited changes are possible due to our small market and expected sales) the Stinger isn't what the marketing team had in mind. As mentioned by Adrenaline things like a disobedient gearbox, lack of steering feel and unpleasant engine note seem to align with what Kia HQ had in mind with the Stinger, a luxury cruiser. Other reviews have also highlighted the fact the DSC cant be turned off completely and an excessively stiff ride on the adaptive damper equipped GT models.

This isn't a hate post. I think the Stinger is an interesting vehicle that has created a lot of attention for the Kia brand. Its fast, has a nice interior, looks interesting and is priced very well. For most owners the issues mentioned above will be of little relevance. I just think that there is a disconnect with what Kia Australia has hyped for the last 12 months and what has been delivered.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #249
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must be one of the few people not wetting myself with excitement over a Kia
Just doesn't appeal to me at all
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #250
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kia have learnt very well from Other manufacturers and of course learnet from Holden marketing 101!
irrespective of what you have sell it as what they want! HAHHAHHAHHAHHAAAAAA yeah!
JP
Old 14-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #251
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Interesting how the commentary is quite despondent regarding the KIAs linear power delivery but the peaky and low end torque deficit of the SSV is somehow better and more of a “race engine” with an awesome top end kick. Somehow this wasnt the same praise of the BOSS 290/315 engines during reviews but now with the SS on the backfoot slightly it seems to be something called “character’ and adds excitement. So many lols.....
I don't think anyone would accuse an LS3 of having an actual 'deficit' down low, it's just that they're such a firecracker up high that you really need revs on board to be having the most fun during maximum attack. Totally different compared to the Kia (or any turbo rig) which rides a wave of peak torque from 2 grand, too much too soon and it does detract from the experience. With the LS3s, particularly in VFII guise with the shorter rear end, you never feel like there's not enough (which I guess was the criticism with pre-Maimi Bosses), you just know you're going to want revs on board to get the most out of her.
Old 14-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #252
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'd probably take a more prudent approach at the moment and wait for some more data before making a broader conclusion. Caradvice were after some clickbait as usual; their "test" wasn't conducted on a drag strip, the cars weren't run side by side, they were relying on a vbox or similar on a backroad that wasn't even straight. Certainly not the kind of testing conditions I'd rely on. Then there's Paul Maric, but I'll leave that.

Looking at other publications, Motor Trend recently tested the Stinger on an actual drag strip and got 13.3 @ 106, pretty much spot on with previous testing and what you'd expect for its power and weight. Drive tested the Stinger against the SS and the Kia, on average, was slower. Caradvice's backroad test is the anomaly here. I would be surprised (pleasantly, I might add) if we see anything near a 12.7 from a customer delivered car at a drag strip. I assume Paul knows this too, but that doesn't make for good clickbait.

Numbers aside, Drive's impressions were much more informative than Maric's 'by the numbers' approach. They posted a fairly detailed video review and the newly-minted bandwagon of newby Kia fanboys are losing their minds in the comments. Some of the defences are hilarious, "but the Stinger was born at the Nurburging". It's true, car marketers can almost sell oxygen to some of these people.

Anyway, the review was a head to head with an SS Redline and the Kia, believe it or not, isn't perfect. They noted large flaws with the gearbox (constantly confused + overrides tiptronic input, nanny style) turn-in and steering feel not on the same level as the Redline, chassis is twitchy, brake feel not comparable to Redline, unpleasant engine note and a general lack of any form of character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyeLPHo5PBs
I love how you take a prudent approach and rubbish people who like the Kia.

So lets just say if someone more independent (not a journalist) did the 0-100km test and took both said cars on a track....lets just say Queensland Police. And the Stinger came out on top (like the CarAdvice review you accuse of click baiting). What would your thoughts be?

Also FYI - Meric is pretty pro Holden
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #253
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The more reviews I read on the Stinger, the more I'm beginning to think that Kia Australia has spent more time marketing the car as a SS replacement than actually creating a product that can genuinely deliver what XR/SS buyers crave.

In markets outside of Australia, the Stinger was aimed at luxury rivals (C-Class/ 3 Series / A4 ect). And yet Kia Australia, quite rightly, have seen an opportunity to turn the thing into a Commodore/Falcon replacement just as the factories all fall silent. Smart and opportunistic. But the more I read, it seems that even with "local tuning" (very limited changes are possible due to our small market and expected sales) the Stinger isn't what the marketing team had in mind. As mentioned by Adrenaline things like a disobedient gearbox, lack of steering feel and unpleasant engine note seem to align with what Kia HQ had in mind with the Stinger, a luxury cruiser. Other reviews have also highlighted the fact the DSC cant be turned off completely and an excessively stiff ride on the adaptive damper equipped GT models.

This isn't a hate post. I think the Stinger is an interesting vehicle that has created a lot of attention for the Kia brand. Its fast, has a nice interior, looks interesting and is priced very well. For most owners the issues mentioned above will be of little relevance. I just think that there is a disconnect with what Kia Australia has hyped for the last 12 months and what has been delivered.
Actually they haven't Marketed it as a SS replacement - Kia Australia is staying away from the die hard Holden and Ford target market. They know that they will never be able to convince these guys to buy one. Focus studies done tell them this. They are not going to spend money convincing people who aren't going to buy their cars.

Yes, globally, Kia is targeting C-Class, 3 series and A4s. And if you looked at the global pricing structure. It wouldn't have worked in Australia. Would you pay $60K+ for a base model 2.0 Turbo Kia Stinger? Of course not! People would laugh at them if they did that. Kia Australia knew this and pushed for pricing way below the global pricing structure.
Now the Pricing structure as it is in Australia, would put it in line with the SS. And naturally, based on pricing the journos have pitched it as a SS replacement. Kia Australia however, is not "marketing" it as one. The Chief Operating Officer has also reiterated these sentiments.

Now with regards to Local tuning - you are wrong. The local team are guided by Graeme Gambold. What he wants - he gets - because Kia Australia - Since 2007 have convinced the HQ in Korea that local tuning is an extremely important part of the business, so it actually gets more dedication to this than other markets. For the Stinger specifically, local tuning was done with the blessing of Albert Biermann. Kia's marketing wouldnt be more happier with the local teams work on the car - especially when they know more than the couple of articles that have been published.

With regards to the other review - if you are going to quote something. Please quote it in context. The reason for the driving aids not being turned off completely and the active damper stuck on the stiffest setting was because....1. IT WAS A PRE-PRODUCTION CAR
2. If you read the article properly. The police force had the car prior to their test. They had unhooked the battery (to test all their electrics) and left it too long. The ECU then reset itself (and beig a pre-prod car), set the whole car back to the Korean domestic setting (and wiped the australian setting).

Also, loving how in the past, people would slam Drive for being Pro Holden and biased against Ford. But all of a sudden. Drive's article with Kia v Holden is taken as unbiased, well informed gospel - while CarAdvice is click bait.
Old 15-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #254
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
I love how you take a prudent approach and rubbish people who like the Kia.

So lets just say if someone more independent (not a journalist) did the 0-100km test and took both said cars on a track....lets just say Queensland Police. And the Stinger came out on top (like the CarAdvice review you accuse of click baiting). What would your thoughts be?

Also FYI - Meric is pretty pro Holden
Hello there Hawkeye.

Before we start concluding that the Stinger is a 12.7 second rig, I think we should wait for some more data from actual drag strips. Paul Maric fanging two cars separately around a down-hill bend with a vbox is simply not how we reliably measure cars from 0-402m. As I suggested, over time we'll get a fuller picture. Motor Trend have managed 13.3 @ 106. We should start to see more times published from other outlets soon. As consumers we should be rooting for this thing to be as fast as possible.

Quick note on Paul Maric- I think you've missed the point. He's not biased in either direction, I personally don't enjoy him as a reviewer because he puts clickbait before integrity. He's put out some pretty horrific stuff, like when he staged a fake drag race between VFI and VFII SS Commodores to make the LS3 appear much, much faster than it is. Super fake, got plenty of views, he didn't care that he was misleading the masses. I wonder how many people felt compelled to trade in their VFIs after seeing that video. Clickbait garbage.

Also regarding the connection you've made between my call for prudence and my supposed rubbishing of Kia fanboys, not sure why you're having a dig there. Are you saying that it's ironic that I'd call for caution in making decisions based on Paul's highly scientific test, while also recklessly dismissing some of the insightful (read: moronic) dialogue published by the new brigade of Kia fanatics?

I mean look, if the depth of their analysis is that the Kia will "rape" the SS because it was "born in the Nurburgring", I'm sorry Kia boys, your argument is summarily dismissed; I have no desire to go 12 rounds with a sales brochure.
Old 15-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #255
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Hello there Hawkeye.

Before we start concluding that the Stinger is a 12.7 second rig, I think we should wait for some more data from actual drag strips. Paul Maric fanging two cars separately around a down-hill bend with a vbox is simply not how we reliably measure cars from 0-402m. As I suggested, over time we'll get a fuller picture. Motor Trend have managed 13.3 @ 106. We should start to see more times published from other outlets soon. As consumers we should be rooting for this thing to be as fast as possible.

Quick note on Paul Maric- I think you've missed the point. He's not biased in either direction, I personally don't enjoy him as a reviewer because he puts clickbait before integrity. He's put out some pretty horrific stuff, like when he staged a fake drag race between VFI and VFII SS Commodores to make the LS3 appear much, much faster than it is. Super fake, got plenty of views, he didn't care that he was misleading the masses. I wonder how many people felt compelled to trade in their VFIs after seeing that video. Clickbait garbage.

Also regarding the connection you've made between my call for prudence and my supposed rubbishing of Kia fanboys, not sure why you're having a dig there. Are you saying that it's ironic that I'd call for caution in making decisions based on Paul's highly scientific test, while also recklessly dismissing some of the insightful (read: moronic) dialogue published by the new brigade of Kia fanatics?

I mean look, if the depth of their analysis is that the Kia will "rape" the SS because it was "born in the Nurburgring", I'm sorry Kia boys, your argument is summarily dismissed; I have no desire to go 12 rounds with a sales brochure.
Your missing my point Adrenaline.
The both cars have been tested by several police forces at the same time.
The Stinger comes out in front on all tests.
No BS, no bias, no journalistic motives.
These so called Kia fanboys (even though some of their comments are idiotic - no better than comments made by ford fans with falcons) - their comments are warranted.
Old 15-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #256
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The comparisons with the SS are interesting but for the buying public irrelevant. The Falcon and Commodore are no longer available.

Kia are actually providing us car enthusiasts with a legitimate 4 door RWD performance saloon, fully loaded with a 7 year warranty for circa 60g. Kudos to them!!!.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #257
Dave R

Quote:
Your missing my point Adrenaline.
The both cars have been tested by several police forces at the same time.
The Stinger comes out in front on all tests.
No BS, no bias, no journalistic motives.
These so called Kia fanboys (even though some of their comments are idiotic - no better than comments made by ford fans with falcons) - their comments are warranted.
Can you link me to their reports. I've read nothing about the police pulling 12 second passes with Stingers.

Re: the Kia fanatics, I'm not sure in what context you consider their blind enthusiasm warranted? Personally I can't stand this kind of stuff. I mean, we get a review that says the Stinger perhaps isn't perfect, backed up by some legitimate gripes (for example the gearbox being easily confused and not obeying tiptronic commands, the steering being light off centre, the engine being mute and playing fake sounds through the stereo, the low end torque delivery making it feel a little sterile etc) and they lose their minds shouting conspiracy. At the end of the day it's Kia's first attempt, it was never going to be perfect. I'm really not sure what these guys were expecting? I mean as buyers we all want it to be flawless, but lets not pull the wool over our own eyes here.

For someone like me, I'd genuinely consider a Stinger as my next daily; but if the gearbox is as bad as has been reported, that's quite potentially a deal breaker. I'll be a matter of revising the tune; whether they intend to or not is another thing.
Old 15-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #258
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With word of a V8 Stinger in the works, I hope we are talking about a twin turbo 5.0 with 650hp+. I don't see much point of a naturally aspirated 5.0 that's a little slower than a twin turbo 3.3 V6.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #259
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Actually they haven't Marketed it as a SS replacement - Kia Australia is staying away from the die hard Holden and Ford target market. They know that they will never be able to convince these guys to buy one. Focus studies done tell them this. They are not going to spend money convincing people who aren't going to buy their cars.

Yes, globally, Kia is targeting C-Class, 3 series and A4s. And if you looked at the global pricing structure. It wouldn't have worked in Australia. Would you pay $60K+ for a base model 2.0 Turbo Kia Stinger? Of course not! People would laugh at them if they did that. Kia Australia knew this and pushed for pricing way below the global pricing structure.
Now the Pricing structure as it is in Australia, would put it in line with the SS. And naturally, based on pricing the journos have pitched it as a SS replacement. Kia Australia however, is not "marketing" it as one. The Chief Operating Officer has also reiterated these sentiments.

Now with regards to Local tuning - you are wrong. The local team are guided by Graeme Gambold. What he wants - he gets - because Kia Australia - Since 2007 have convinced the HQ in Korea that local tuning is an extremely important part of the business, so it actually gets more dedication to this than other markets. For the Stinger specifically, local tuning was done with the blessing of Albert Biermann. Kia's marketing wouldnt be more happier with the local teams work on the car - especially when they know more than the couple of articles that have been published.

With regards to the other review - if you are going to quote something. Please quote it in context. The reason for the driving aids not being turned off completely and the active damper stuck on the stiffest setting was because....1. IT WAS A PRE-PRODUCTION CAR
2. If you read the article properly. The police force had the car prior to their test. They had unhooked the battery (to test all their electrics) and left it too long. The ECU then reset itself (and beig a pre-prod car), set the whole car back to the Korean domestic setting (and wiped the australian setting).

Also, loving how in the past, people would slam Drive for being Pro Holden and biased against Ford. But all of a sudden. Drive's article with Kia v Holden is taken as unbiased, well informed gospel - while CarAdvice is click bait.
I know which review you are referring to (a Wheels pre-production first drive) but my comments were made in relation to the CarAdvice review.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/590061/2...ne-comparison/

Quoted from article - "The big difference between these two with stability control off was that the Kia doesn’t fully switch the system off. In its fully off mode, it will still intervene with sharp steering input and a 45 degree slip angle."

As I said, I like the Stinger and its listed shortcomings will unlikely ever be discovered by their owners.

Perhaps the media have hyped this car into something that its not? A really great, fast and affordable GT car not a grunty V8 muscle car replacement?
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #260
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Be interested to read these comparative reports also Stinger vs SS. Links Hawkeye? My brother is seriously looking at Stinger to replacement his G6Et. Fanboi is an emotive term which always gets knickers in a knot but comments based around reading materials of questionable accuracy mean little when its likely be just all hearsay from those that haven’t ever set foot in a Stinger.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #261
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Can you link me to their reports. I've read nothing about the police pulling 12 second passes with Stingers.

Re: the Kia fanatics, I'm not sure in what context you consider their blind enthusiasm warranted? Personally I can't stand this kind of stuff. I mean, we get a review that says the Stinger perhaps isn't perfect, backed up by some legitimate gripes (for example the gearbox being easily confused and not obeying tiptronic commands, the steering being light off centre, the engine being mute and playing fake sounds through the stereo, the low end torque delivery making it feel a little sterile etc) and they lose their minds shouting conspiracy. At the end of the day it's Kia's first attempt, it was never going to be perfect. I'm really not sure what these guys were expecting? I mean as buyers we all want it to be flawless, but lets not pull the wool over our own eyes here.

For someone like me, I'd genuinely consider a Stinger as my next daily; but if the gearbox is as bad as has been reported, that's quite potentially a deal breaker. I'll be a matter of revising the tune; whether they intend to or not is another thing.
No reports - but inside knowledge (i dont think Police ever release these kind of reports). Amongst things that already been tested, tried and confirmed by Caradvice - it also laps 2 secs quicker round the police test track.

Yes, the Stinger isnt perfect i agree, im not saying it is.

1. I dont think the triptonic mode is that bad - yes i've driven one.
2. Doesn't sound as good as a V8 - The Bi-Modal exhaust being developed is
ok, but will never sound like a V8.
3. Yes it does have a sound generator, if you look at it in context of its
European competitors, BMW, Mecerdes and Audi who also have these. On
the plus side you can turn it down with custom settings - or im pretty sure
they come out with a tune which turns it completely off.
4. Steering wheel i feel needs to be chunkier - its way too thin
5. The steering being light off centre? To be honest - i couldn't tell. Perhaps
its subjective? I couldnt tell you. But its one report.

But these, to me a pretty minor things. Possibly things that people might not even experience unless they are on a track (triptonic mode being "disobedient" and the light off centre steering). If i had to nit pick and find fault - yeah it'll probably be it - but its a damn god car.

With regards to the Kia conspiracy theorist against Holden and drive? I guess not so much more than Ford vs Drive and Holden and comments made on this very forum. Can you blame Kia fans? Im guessing they are wanting what Ford fans wanted to. A fair unbiased comparo.
Old 17-10-2017, 12:04 AM   #262
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I know which review you are referring to (a Wheels pre-production first drive) but my comments were made in relation to the CarAdvice review.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/590061/2...ne-comparison/

Quoted from article - "The big difference between these two with stability control off was that the Kia doesn’t fully switch the system off. In its fully off mode, it will still intervene with sharp steering input and a 45 degree slip angle."

As I said, I like the Stinger and its listed shortcomings will unlikely ever be discovered by their owners.

Perhaps the media have hyped this car into something that its not? A really great, fast and affordable GT car not a grunty V8 muscle car replacement?
Ahhh yes...It depends on the speed of the spring rate and the angle of the car - it thinks that the driver is about to roll the car. Basically to get it activated - youd be thrashing the crap out of the car and fully chucking it a corner on its limits.

Yes and totally agree. The some journos are totally pitching it as a grunty V8 muscle car replacement. Its not. Its a freat, fast and affordable RWD GT
Old 17-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #263
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ahhh yes...It depends on the speed of the spring rate and the angle of the car - it thinks that the driver is about to roll the car. Basically to get it activated - youd be thrashing the crap out of the car and fully chucking it a corner on its limits.

Yes and totally agree. The some journos are totally pitching it as a grunty V8 muscle car replacement. Its not. Its a freat, fast and affordable RWD GT
You don't sell Kia's for a living do you?
I'm just amazed there are Kia fans
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #264
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
You don't sell Kia's for a living do you?
I'm just amazed there are Kia fans
Yeah I would be surprised if they actually had "fans". They have buyers but never seen anyone who has a passion for them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #265
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

LoL who would have though a Kia would cause so much butt hurt on a Ford forum.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #266
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
LoL who would have though a Kia would cause so much butt hurt on a Ford forum.
Wasnt that long ago that 5 sec 0-100 camrys also created a tsunami of legendary urban tales and butt hurtedness....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 17-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #267
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Yeah I would be surprised if they actually had "fans". They have buyers but never seen anyone who has a passion for them.
And I suppose that is what makes the Stinger a game changer for the brand. Until now Kia has produced (in the last few years anyway) great value, well made cars at a great price. Nothing to really excite, unless you like bragging about the length of the warranty of your new car. The Stinger is a genuinely interesting vehicle with a level of performance and aspiration that Kia has never had.

Be interesting to see how the sales numbers play out once supply frees up.
Mustang GT

Old 17-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #268
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Reading through this thread reminds me of Volvo's rep.

For aeons Volvo's had the reputation of being owned by stodgy old University Professors and CWA members with their Lawn Bowls hat in the rear window.

Then along came this Kiwi kid called Scott McLaughlin.........................
Old 17-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #269
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHR View Post
Chrysler 300 Core
Latest BMW 5 series Diesel
Volvo 60

Stinger is still being evaluated as is the VW Pasaat R line
Was close..........
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #270
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Reading through this thread reminds me of Volvo's rep.

For aeons Volvo's had the reputation of being owned by stodgy old University Professors and CWA members with their Lawn Bowls hat in the rear window.

Then along came this Kiwi kid called Scott McLaughlin.........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie
AU Falcon would be my pick.
Was Scott McL driving BTCC during the 90's?...thats when Volvo became interesting. S40 supertourer still one of the best looking tin top race cars ever. And before that they had the wagon. Ingenious marketing! Both based on a real Volvo and built for/by Volvo.