Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 28-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
dc_todd
Seasoned Visitor

Angry So the motor in my probe lunched itself

As the title suggests, Motor decided it wanted a sudden diet of Mobil Oil, chew through 3½l of the fine stuff and spat the coil pack too before it shut itsdelf down for the last time.

All this happened while my wife was driving this morning, so IF you got stuck in a traffic jam at Blakehurst at about 8am, I appologise.

So the bad news... engine is T E R M I N A L.... gone. NRMA picked up no spark, I knew that before they got there, but I needed them for a tow anyway.

The good news. the little red rocket is to be resurected!!

A reco motor has been sourced and will be getting fitted on Tuesday!! yep next week. quick hone, new rings, slap it all back together with new seal and timing kit, and my new coil pack.

Thecar is actually going to stop now as well, new brakes are here to be installed, so while the car is in fred flintstone mode without motor, they will be slapped on. nothing flash, just ventilated on the front and solids on the rear. decent pads to be installed.

Current rotors are as warped as a papadum.

This car was never intended to stay round for too long, but i do enjoy driving it. Looks like it will be my regular daily while my EB turbo is rebuild.. about 90% of he way there on that one, but this has to be on the road alot sooner than the EB was ever planned to have been.

Oh yeah 1st post in Probe/Cougar section. guess I finally admitted to owning one... lol, nah they are a nice car, obscure, but nice.

Dave

dc_todd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
thearrow

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but check out this link.

http://www.3lduratec.com/main.html

I think Probes are really a great looking car and very under rated. The styling still cuts it IMHO.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
dc_todd
Seasoned Visitor

yeah good link, but since this mob is in the states, and the mechanic has already got the motor 90% complete now. and at 2k for the engine, +shipping +exchange rate + time to get it here, its not an idea I am entertaining. I have a reco motor almost ready to go in and less than ½ the cost of the 3.0l alone, before you even take exchange into account.

about $900 inc labour.

Help to know people.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
thearrow

Man that is sooooo cheap........you are indeed luck to have a contact like that.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
dc_todd
Seasoned Visitor

Woo, new motor in, new pads and rotors in, car back in my driveway!!

Engine dies thursday LAST week, at mechanics by 10am, car returned to myself, friday morning following week. It would have been yesterday morning, but they sent it away for a detail.

Ended up with a low kn Mazda MX6 motor in it. 85,000km. basic rebuild was done, new rings, new bearings, tiing kit thrown at it, new gasket and seals.

It runs great again. So my probe avoided being put to a wreckers and was reborn to fight again.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah; we can do with keeping as many on the road as possible!
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post