Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #31
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Re: Seriously, WTF is wrong with people!!

Have you had your speedo checked? Its rare these days to get any vehicle that doesnt over read you speed. My motorcycle reads 10kph faster than I am actually going at 100kph indicated. GPS says 90kph. I trust the GPS.
Old 29-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #32
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Both my FG's are 2km/hr under compared to a Navaman GPS reading but dead on if see the recorded speed on a map from my dash cam footage. And my NB and NC Fairlanes with digital dash were spot on with standard wheels an Tyres the GPS indicated speed.
Old 29-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #33
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Both my FG's are 2km/hr under compared to a Navaman GPS reading but dead on if see the recorded speed on a map from my dash cam footage. And my NB and NC Fairlanes with digital dash were spot on with standard wheels an Tyres the GPS indicated speed.
It could be that ford are better at speedo's. My BF XR8 speedo was spot on.
Old 29-10-2018, 11:54 PM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Whether im 10k under or not its no excuse for tailgating, there is no law that says you cant travel at 50 in a 60 zone, it is a maximum allowable speed which is why its the 'limit' not the speed at which you must travel at.
These scooters are restricted to 50km/hr due to being useable by people with car licenses in accordance with government legislation, if they didnt think doing 50 in a 60 zone was legal they wouldnt condone the method of transport in the first place.
If 50 is all i can do, then as a following driver you just have to accept that i pay my rego, licence fee's and fuel excise and therefore have every right to do so without fear of intimidation...in a perfect world.

And none of that excuses what the truck driver did as i was perfectly within my rights to stop, giveway and make a right hand turn.

If i was a cop on a bike doing 50 in a 60 zone would you tailgate me, if i was a cop waiting to turn right would you blast past my handlebars at 80k's in a truck?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #35
.:4:.
Kicking back

I drive a rolling blindspot and honestly i get a bit paranoid at times driving in the cbd with opportunistic riders on scooters or smaller stock bikes working for uber eats or dominos or whoever who i cant hear or see. Yes i have a convex mirror and have wired my backup camera as a digital rear view as i have no rear vision but still, theres a blindspot on both sides. My brother is on the bike rain hail or shine and his bike is not rediculous but loud enough to know to double check. Well, its under 92db anyway. He tells me all the time about his close calls. I give space to people on 2 wheels because i dont want to be the one to **** up another persons existance regardless of if im in a hurry or not. The 1 big issue my brother comes across is if he is at the front at the lights. Bikes go faster then cars typically so he will give himself some space infront, but its the bell ends who try to challenge who make it dangerous. Its not a race. Body armour wont hold up if you take a bike into a demo derby.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #36
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Whether im 10k under or not its no excuse for tailgating, there is no law that says you cant travel at 50 in a 60 zone, it is a maximum allowable speed which is why its the 'limit' not the speed at which you must travel at.
These scooters are restricted to 50km/hr due to being useable by people with car licenses in accordance with government legislation, if they didnt think doing 50 in a 60 zone was legal they wouldnt condone the method of transport in the first place.
If 50 is all i can do, then as a following driver you just have to accept that i pay my rego, licence fee's and fuel excise and therefore have every right to do so without fear of intimidation...in a perfect world.

And none of that excuses what the truck driver did as i was perfectly within my rights to stop, giveway and make a right hand turn.

If i was a cop on a bike doing 50 in a 60 zone would you tailgate me, if i was a cop waiting to turn right would you blast past my handlebars at 80k's in a truck?
Dont get me wrong. I agree with all of what you have said. But if your speedo is over reading it might explain some of the moron behavior that has been going on.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #37
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I really think most people who tailgate don't even know they are doing it.
Depends .. you can pretty much tell by the look on their face. The ones with the blank expression are usually just the sheep who normally follow one foot behind everyone regardless if its a semi or a cyclist. The ones with the furrowed brows usually doing it deliberately .. and until recently I would have just held my ground with them .. but I've seen to many reports of morons deliberately running over people.
Smallest bike I ride is a 1969 Honda CD175, and I live about a 20min ride on 100kph/80kph roads from the nearest town. The CD will do 100kph but only on a flat surface without a headwind. I'm very conscious of other drivers, but generally I get the ones that WON'T pass and just sit up my clacker. If I'm riding something small I prefer my GT185 .. two stroke. People don't tend to tailgate something that constantly produces smoke? ;)

I always look at road usage as protection of the most vulnerable:

Cyclists need to look out for (and protect as possible) pedestrians.
Motorcyclists need to look out (and protect as possible) for cyclists and pedestrians.
Car drivers need to look out for (and protect as possible) motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians.
SUV drivers need to look out for (and protect as possible) car drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians.
Truck drivers need to look out for (and protect as possible) SUV drivers, car drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians.
Eg. If I'm driving a car and I can see a motorcyclist in danger, I should try to use my vehicle to protect them.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #38
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Depends .. you can pretty much tell by the look on their face. The ones with the blank expression are usually just the sheep who normally follow one foot behind everyone regardless if its a semi or a cyclist. The ones with the furrowed brows usually doing it deliberately .. and until recently I would have just held my ground with them .. but I've seen to many reports of morons deliberately running over people.
Smallest bike I ride is a 1969 Honda CD175, and I live about a 20min ride on 100kph/80kph roads from the nearest town. The CD will do 100kph but only on a flat surface without a headwind. I'm very conscious of other drivers, but generally I get the ones that WON'T pass and just sit up my clacker. If I'm riding something small I prefer my GT185 .. two stroke. People don't tend to tailgate something that constantly produces smoke? ;)

I always look at road usage as protection of the most vulnerable:

Cyclists need to look out for (and protect as possible) pedestrians.
Motorcyclists need to look out (and protect as possible) for cyclists and pedestrians.
Car drivers need to look out for (and protect as possible) motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians.
SUV drivers need to look out for (and protect as possible) car drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians.
Truck drivers need to look out for (and protect as possible) SUV drivers, car drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians.
Eg. If I'm driving a car and I can see a motorcyclist in danger, I should try to use my vehicle to protect them.
Great post, if only more people thought the way you do.

So today i borrowed my Father inlaws BA wagon as we dont take delivery of the new car until tomorrow and i thought, im going to test something here.
So i deliberately drove down the road i've been getting hassled on at 10k's under the speed limit.
By the time i got to the end i had 3 cars following close behind and as one of them passed me when the road opened up to dual lanes he gave me a filthy look which is fair enough, but the car directly behind me gave me 20m at all times whereas when on the scooter they were close enough that i could reach back and touch their bonnets on many occasion.

Now obviously the driver directly behind me may have been patient enough to sit back regardless of what vehicle was holding them up, but considering the frequency with which i've encountered the opposite whilst on the scooter in only 4 weeks, it would be the exception to the rule.

Now considering the way the truck driver made every effort to close the gap before i could get out of his way yesterday and that on numerous occasions where i've been able to create a bit of space through roundabouts on my way to work simply by the fact that i could get through them without needing to slow as much as a car would, which is actually an advantage on a scooter as momentum is critical to prevent holding people up from a standing start, the pattern is forming that its not necessarily being held up that is inciting this behaviour, its just the intent to intimidate for some reason known only to the individual.

I certainly dont get and neither does anyone i've mentioned my experiences to, infact one bloke said it was actually quite sick to think that there are people sharing the road with us who believe conducting themselves in this fashion is somehow acceptable behaviour with little regard for the consequences.
Old 30-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

To be brutally honest, no one who rides a scooter is going to be taken seriously on the road. Sad reality you will be treated like a joke.

No excuse for dangerous driving around someone riding though. So many crazy people on the roads, no way in hell you'd ever see me on a motorbike. It's bad enough being in a car having to deal with these morons.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #40
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Dont get me wrong. I agree with all of what you have said. But if your speedo is over reading it might explain some of the moron behavior that has been going on.
Sorry, i didnt mean to come across argumentitive, but i was expecting someone to suggest that it may be a factor and whilst it may well be correct, it doesn't excuse the behaviour.

See the point is, whether you sit up someones **** for 1.5km at 50 in a 60 zone or sit behind them 50m doing 50 in a 60 zone, you're still doing 50 in a 60 zone and on a single laned road there is little to do but accept it as an inconvenience.
Over that 1.5km distance doing 50 in a 60 zone will take what, 2 minutes, at 60 it'll take 90 seconds, is that 30 seconds of their time worth someones life and if 30 seconds is somehow affecting their schedule, perhaps a course in time managment might be of greater importance.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #41
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Ride with a sidearm, Paintball gun will sort out the fkrs!!!
Old 30-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #42
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
To be brutally honest, no one who rides a scooter is going to be taken seriously on the road. Sad reality you will be treated like a joke.
No you're quite correct, if i was a patched member riding a Harley id have all the room in the world, but on a scooter im simply prey.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #43
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No excuse for dangerous driving around someone riding though. So many crazy people on the roads, no way in hell you'd ever see me on a motorbike. It's bad enough being in a car having to deal with these morons.
Unfortunately that's pretty much the case.

Just get a big, loud road bike then no one will feck with you.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #44
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I'm confused as you say
Quote:
These scooters are restricted to 50km/hr due to being usable by people with car licenses in accordance with government legislation
but in the OP you say:
Quote:
On my first day riding home from work i had some obvious crack head sit right up my **** whilst doing the posted 60 speed limit

I agree, however slow or fast you were it still no excuse for the other driver's behaviour.

In WA at least these scooters (mopeds) are also not allowed to be driven on the freeways (see https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/RSC/media/...e-handbook.pdf ) it seems there is not a lot of active policing of this as you regularly see them sitting on the freeway often with a passenger and going flat chat at all of 40km/hr and holding up traffic. They also are often seen riding illegally on the shared pedestrian/cycle paths scaring the hell out of pedestrians by zipping past them in close proximity.

Last edited by aussiblue; 30-10-2018 at 12:50 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I'm confused as you say

but in the OP you say:

I agree, however slow or fast you were it still no excuse for the other driver's behaviour.

In WA at least these scooters (mopeds) are also not allowed to be driven on the freeways (see https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/RSC/media/...e-handbook.pdf ) it seems there is not a lot of active policing of this as you regularly see them sitting on the freeway often with a passenger and going flat chat at all of 40km/hr and holding up traffic.
50cc scooters which can be ridden on a car licence in SA must be restricted to 50km/hr from the factory, for a small fee at the point of purchase you can have them deristricted to allow them to reach 65.
Its also possible to bolt on a 70cc barrel and piston and better pipe and give them 50% more power.
They are illegal modifications but ones which are done quite regularly to allow these things to keep up in traffic which makes complete sense.
Why the Government would want people on 50cc scooters riding around at 50 in 60 zones is beyond me but thats another argument.
They should be either permitted to do 60 as a bare minimum, drop all speed limits from 60 to 50 and ban them from areas of higher limits or remove the ability to ride them on a car licence altogether if 50 is the maximum they will allow.
Old 30-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #46
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My wife used to work in emergency departments, she told the stories & I like to think I'm a pretty aware driver but I've had a coup,e of occasions where I haven't seen a Bike myself..

when I see bikes lane splitting at 80kph plus I shake my head.

I wouldn't feel save on a bike either

you've done the right think Bent8 getting that small car, its only a matter of time before something happened
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
50cc scooters which can be ridden on a car licence in SA must be restricted to 50km/hr from the factory, for a small fee at the point of purchase you can have them deristricted to allow them to reach 65.
Its also possible to bolt on a 70cc barrel and piston and better pipe and give them 50% more power.
They are illegal modifications but ones which are done quite regularly to allow these things to keep up in traffic which makes complete sense.
Why the Government would want people on 50cc scooters riding around at 50 in 60 zones is beyond me but thats another argument.
They should be permitted to do 60 as a bare minimum, drop all speed limits to 50 or remove the ability to ride them on a car licence altogether if 50 is the maximum they will allow.
I would assume the 50 limit is to restrict them to inner CBD areas.
Old 30-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #48
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I would assume the 50 limit is to restrict them to inner CBD areas.
There is nothing in the legislation that says you can only ride them on 50km/hr roads.
The scooter i have is available in 125cc form in the same spec so the bike has the ability to handle 60 if it were allowed to.
Old 30-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #49
prydey
Rob

personally I don't think it matters if the person is being illegal, or legit. It doesn't matter if they have paid rego (which isn't a right of passage for using the road - yes, i'm a cyclist) or contribute via fuel tax or whatever other excuse people come up with.

there are people employed to enforce the law. unless you are one of these people, then its not your job to do the enforcing. that's called being a vigilante.

as mentioned already, the amount of time that you are actually inconvenienced by a slower road user, is miniscule in the big scheme of things. There is no excuse for poor behaviour on the road. Sure, things can get frustrating at times, and a younger version of myself is guilty of some of the behaviours in this thread (but not to a 2 wheeled road user) however with the benefit of age and experience, and wisdom, I've learnt to really relax more behind the wheel. allow more time for all my journeys, and treat it like the public road network that it is, that allows me to get around to do my duties. Its not some private race track, or personal road, or the bigger the vehicle the more rights you have etc.
Old 30-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #50
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
personally I don't think it matters if the person is being illegal, or legit. It doesn't matter if they have paid rego (which isn't a right of passage for using the road - yes, i'm a cyclist) or contribute via fuel tax or whatever other excuse people come up with.

there are people employed to enforce the law. unless you are one of these people, then its not your job to do the enforcing. that's called being a vigilante.

as mentioned already, the amount of time that you are actually inconvenienced by a slower road user, is miniscule in the big scheme of things. There is no excuse for poor behaviour on the road. Sure, things can get frustrating at times, and a younger version of myself is guilty of some of the behaviours in this thread (but not to a 2 wheeled road user) however with the benefit of age and experience, and wisdom, I've learnt to really relax more behind the wheel. allow more time for all my journeys, and treat it like the public road network that it is, that allows me to get around to do my duties. Its not some private race track, or personal road, or the bigger the vehicle the more rights you have etc.
100% correct Rob.

Having said that, the world is far from perfect and it would be naive to think that common sense should prevail.
We are all responsible for our own safety, you can only really rely on yourself unfortunately and in certain circumstances that is taken out of your control which is why i've decided to give it away after only a month as its just not worth the risk.
I only ever bought it with the intention of riding the short distance to work, on suburban 60k roads and in light traffic, but unfortunately even in this carefully considered situation there are still people out there who are hell bent on making life difficult for you, for their own amusement.

If i was a sick **** like them i'd jump in my bus and return serve this afternoon, but one of the reasons why im permitted to do the job that i do is because i've proven that im not that way inclined, have a clean record and am proud that i can interact with a wide variety of different vehicles driven by people of all ablities without feeling the need to enforce some perceived right to do as i please on them.

That makes me a better part of society before i even turn the key.

Last edited by BENT_8; 30-10-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 30-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #51
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My scoot speedo was woefully wrong 5+k out at 60 so only doing max 55kph. I downloaded a speed check app and took it for a ride after I suspected it was. If you dare to get back on it try that, maybe why ppl were tailgating.
Old 30-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
There is nothing in the legislation that says you can only ride them on 50km/hr roads.
The scooter i have is available in 125cc form in the same spec so the bike has the ability to handle 60 if it were allowed to.
Yeah, but if you can only go 50 that rules out highways and larger arterials, and makes it unlikely you will be leaving the city or busy suburbs.

It doesn't stop you, but makes it more likely you would ride one in built up, heavy traffic areas only.

Doesn't stop you driving one elsewhere though.
Old 30-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #53
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Yeah, but if you can only go 50 that rules out highways and larger arterials, and makes it unlikely you will be leaving the city or busy suburbs.

It doesn't stop you, but makes it more likely you would ride one in built up, heavy traffic areas only.

Doesn't stop you driving one elsewhere though.
Totally agreed, you'd be mad to ride one on a freeway for example, but a 60 zone in a metropolitan suburb is quite acceptable so long as people around you can demonstrate patience, the problem is, people wont, or cant demonstrate patience.
Old 30-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #54
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving to all ford day in york on sunday, quiet backroad and came up to a bunch of harleys riding very sedately.

Attempted to overtake slowly and carefully. Managed to get past 2 of them in 35km. Both times riders kept moving right trying to force us off the road. The rest just sat in the right lane and blocked us.

Bike riders can be right dicks too.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #55
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The area where I live is rotten with speed zones. The first 10km of a trip into ‘town’ starts with 50kmh, then 80, then 100 (for less than 1km) then 60, then 40 (road works which the Romans could have completed quicker) then 60, then 80, then 100. All single lane, no real overtaking spots.
The locals are easy to spot, they obey the limits because the Highway Patrol and mobile cameras are red-hot along this stretch.
The non-locals are also easy to spot, up your clacker, waving their arms in disgust and frustration, and generally driving like knobs.
Oh dear, how I laugh when I see blue and red lights come on.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #56
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Bike riders can be right dicks too.
Completely agreed MB, theres good and bad in most aspects of life.

I try not to stereo type, i know its not all drivers as i've looked in my mirrors and been greatful when someone has given me space.

Personally as someone who drives for a living i like to treat everyone around me on merit, if i see a learner i give them space, if i see an old lady doing 10k's under i'll excercise patience, if i see an erratic in front of me i remove myself from the immediate vacinity, when i see a new Australian i exercise caution, when i see someone who appears competent i just go with the flow and when i see regular crackheads in my bike mirrors, i hang up the helmet..
Old 30-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #57
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Different scenario but same morons.

My daughter, husband and baby came over for dinner yesterday.

Peak hour traffic on 100kph road (travelling at around 70kph) and truck is sitting right up their clacker.

They had to exit a few k's up the road so stayed in left ("slow") lane.

Daughter got sick of it so took pics of truck out the back window and rang police with truck rego, name across front, etc.

Police said they'd follow it up, but who knows?

It's hard to figure out where the moron thought he was going but it's possible that the extra 30 metres closer to his destination was of vital importance

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #58
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When on your scooter, carry a bag full of bolts. if anyone tailgates, start dropping them on the road and listen for them bouncing through their grille...
Old 30-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #59
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wo wo wo

we got some numpty on a scooter rolling 10kmh under the speed limit and trying to justify it

gtfo my way
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #60
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Depends .. you can pretty much tell by the look on their face. The ones with the blank expression are usually just the sheep who normally follow one foot behind everyone regardless if its a semi or a cyclist. The ones with the furrowed brows usually doing it deliberately ...

That's true. You can also tell when you are in the left lane on a mulitlane road and they sit a few metres off your bumper even though there is a clear lane for them to pass in.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post