Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #91
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Bugatti Veyron to be updated and target 460km/hr

0-400-0 in just under 42 seconds! Wow.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/09/1...ugatti-chiron/

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #92
LTDHO
The one and only

460kph would be useful driving to work on the Monash.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #93
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/09/1...ugatti-chiron/
I'm guessing the next update will be a pair of wings.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #94
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IDK call me boring lol but 460kmh, were could you even do that lol... are they any good at cornering though?
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #95
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
IDK call me boring lol but 460kmh, were could you even do that lol... are they any good at cornering though?
1. Can do on a large straight
2. Yes good at cornering
Held record lap time round Top Gear test track for quite some time the original Veyron

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #96
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who cares. I find the people that obsess over top speeds rarely own anything remotely performance oriented, and anybody who needs to spend more than $100,000 on a road car has massive insecurity issues. Look at the idiot who died in Sydney & incinerated 3 of his friends alive in one of these **** mobiles that can do 0-100km in 2.7 seconds blah blah blah. The people that are stupid enough to buy them can rarely control them or bother to look after them and so on. I get more satisfaction from my simple push rod V8 with ABS the only driver aid. After all, our national speed limit is 110 and the roads are crap.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #97
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Who cares. I find the people that obsess over top speeds rarely own anything remotely performance oriented, and anybody who needs to spend more than $100,000 on a road car has massive insecurity issues. Look at the idiot who died in Sydney & incinerated 3 of his friends alive in one of these **** mobiles that can do 0-100km in 2.7 seconds blah blah blah. The people that are stupid enough to buy them can rarely control them or bother to look after them and so on. I get more satisfaction from my simple push rod V8 with ABS the only driver aid. After all, our national speed limit is 110 and the roads are crap.
Many people care.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
5 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #98
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not everyone has been indoctrinated with Australia's nanny state mentality, although, there are quite a few here that have by reading some comments.

There are some countries, and some facilities, where one can avail themselves to the performance of this vehicle.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #99
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I am disappointed how little there is in the motoring media about the Chiron.
I feel the same way about Koenigsegg. the Veyron name, and now Chiron, always get mentioned whenever people bring up these types of conversations, but you rarely hear koenigsegg get mentioned. I'm guessing its due to the koenigsegg production numbers not qualifying it for the same production car status, but performance wise, up until Chiron, all koenigsegg models walk all over any other supercar or hypercar from the same era, esp in the top end. nothing comes close when it comes to acceleration from 200+.

while the Chiron may now seem to have a slight advantage in top speed, in my opinion this is still the best hypercar on the market
http://koenigsegg.com/regera/

Its what a hypercar should be about. Incorporating technology and modern drivetrain. Hybrid power, electric motors and no conventional gearbox.

speaking of high tech drive trains...
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...-for-the-road/

not sure what the outright top speed will be (probably limited) but having an F1 driveline in a road car is awesome.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #100
prydey
Rob

Quote:
considering the Koenigsegg regera is claimed to do 0-400 in 20sec, I'm guessing it would beat that 0-400-0 time, based on the braking times of other models from those speeds.
Old 14-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #101
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
considering the Koenigsegg regera is claimed to do 0-400 in 20sec, I'm guessing it would beat that 0-400-0 time, based on the braking times of other models from those speeds.
Until it is proven it is just speculation.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 15-09-2017, 12:53 AM   #102
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Not everyone has been indoctrinated with Australia's nanny state mentality, although, there are quite a few here that have by reading some comments.

There are some countries, and some facilities, where one can avail themselves to the performance of this vehicle.
Perhaps the 3 souls who burned alive in Sydney last Saturday night when they lost control of their GTR-R35 should have been in one of those 'facilities'. I doubt there is more than one or two forum members who could afford these types of cars or the cost of a track for a day. Autobahn's are extremely overrated in my opinion and yes I have driven on them and through out many European roads. There is as many of the problems there as we have here on our roads. Your 'nanny state' comment is completely out of context here. Australia is a unique country in so many ways and when you take the time to look into all, it would never work. I am very happy with the governments road laws around speed, however, the roads are another story.
Old 15-09-2017, 07:01 AM   #103
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to disagree with you here.
Accidents by definition will always happen, in my view it is philosophically naive to think otherwise.

Many countries are more productive then Australia - over large distances, why can't people transport quickly? They can in France, China, USA, just to name three (and all with substantially larger populations.

Nanny state is entirely reasonable. The rules of this state are so onerous, we find even those setting them, can't abide by them. Australians are too empathetic to stand up for anything collectively, the politicians continue to have their way with us, unabated.

Let me ask you - given the appalling state of our roads and your views on speed limits, have you had your cars fitted with a speed limiter for safety purposes?

I ask, because the accident with the R35 could quite as easily have occurred with some P plater in a Corolla crashing at 100 km/h into an power pole side on.

I have nothing against someone who sits on the speed limit, or even 10 under, provided I am afforded the reasonable opportunity to overtake safely (above the speed limit) to minimise time spent on the "wrong" side of the road.

Oh, and there are definitely more then 1 or 2 people on this forum who can afford the cost of a track day. Not a lot of coin needed, and car type is no matter (although I imagine it would be disconcerting should some P plater in a $3000 commodore be ahead of your Porsche and somewhat sideways.)

Back to Topic, was not a fan of the Veyron, but love the Chiron.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2017, 07:04 AM   #104
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you had a 460km/h Chiron in Australia, what speed do you think you would try out on a public road at the right time? (no one around, flat, no side roads, straight and smooth, maybe night time and ...closed ;) )
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #105
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Until it is proven it is just speculation.
true, but they have the runs on the board as far as backing up performance claims. nothing comes close to the previous models in acceleration above 200. koenigsegg are in a class of 1 here.
Old 15-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #106
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Perhaps the 3 souls who burned alive in Sydney last Saturday night when they lost control of their GTR-R35 should have been in one of those 'facilities'.
This is a classic example of taking a marginal case and applying it to all situations. The government use this method to justify hoon laws, low speed limits, power restrictions of probationary drivers and so on.

Statistically, how often do people die in a fiery road fatality by crashing a Nissan GTR in comparison to all other road fatalities?
8 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #107
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Statistically, how often do people die in a fiery road fatality by crashing a Nissan GTR in comparison to all other road fatalities?
Not that often, hence why the media is still milking the story for all it's worth almost 7 days later.

R35 drivers scare me less than Toyota and Honda drivers that's for sure.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #108
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a 2012 gtr. It is so easy to drive fast it's not funny. I have a few falcons as well. And all of them are more fun than the GTR because they spin, slid, lock up and make lots of the noise. The GTR is very clinical. It's so easy it's boring. I can see why you can get in trouble with the GTR because you just don't know how fast your going until it's too late.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #109
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Have to disagree with you here.
Accidents by definition will always happen, in my view it is philosophically naive to think otherwise.

Many countries are more productive then Australia - over large distances, why can't people transport quickly? They can in France, China, USA, just to name three (and all with substantially larger populations.

Nanny state is entirely reasonable. The rules of this state are so onerous, we find even those setting them, can't abide by them. Australians are too empathetic to stand up for anything collectively, the politicians continue to have their way with us, unabated.

Let me ask you - given the appalling state of our roads and your views on speed limits, have you had your cars fitted with a speed limiter for safety purposes?

I ask, because the accident with the R35 could quite as easily have occurred with some P plater in a Corolla crashing at 100 km/h into an power pole side on.

I have nothing against someone who sits on the speed limit, or even 10 under, provided I am afforded the reasonable opportunity to overtake safely (above the speed limit) to minimise time spent on the "wrong" side of the road.

Oh, and there are definitely more then 1 or 2 people on this forum who can afford the cost of a track day. Not a lot of coin needed, and car type is no matter (although I imagine it would be disconcerting should some P plater in a $3000 commodore be ahead of your Porsche and somewhat sideways.)

Back to Topic, was not a fan of the Veyron, but love the Chiron.
There are so many conflicting statements here, and you will find the word your looking for is empathic, not that I understand your suggestion that Australians are too sympathetic to stand up for anything? Of course any driver in any car can crash anywhere. Whilst the performance of a car contributes, the driver mentality determines the ultimate outcome, so these sort of accidents happen the world over.
Old 18-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #110
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who cares.
I agree with this, who cares. Almost no one reaches their vehicles top speed so why do people care so much?

Does a racetrack in Australia even exist where you could reach 460km/h?

Is it just ego stroking to claim owning a 460km/h car?

0-100km times are more impressive as you can use that almost daily, and somewhat legally
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #111
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I agree with this, who cares. Almost no one reaches their vehicles top speed so why do people care so much?

Does a racetrack in Australia even exist where you could reach 460km/h?

Is it just ego stroking to claim owning a 460km/h car?

0-100km times are more impressive as you can use that almost daily, and somewhat legally
It is ego stroking as much as any comparison time. It doesn't matter if it is a Bugatti or a Falcon, people will ALWAYS be comparing some measure of performance. As long as someone believes they can do it better, there will always be comparisons.
Perfect example, Andy Green doing 1000mph (well soon to be) in his BloodHound SSC. Why is he doing it? Cause he can, cause there is a record to be broken, cause he thinks he can...

I bet there is a lot of ego (and other such) stroking here about 0-100 (or is 80-120 times? keeps changing based on what the better figure is) and 1/4 mile times.
Just have a look at the HSV/FPV threads...too many here would be causing themselves blisters over it.
Old 18-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #112
Chopped
as in chopped

No car that costs 3.3 million is ever going to be practical...

Bunch of grandpas on here lol
Old 18-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #113
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are so many conflicting statements here, and you will find the word your looking for is empathic, not that I understand your suggestion that Australians are too sympathetic to stand up for anything? Of course any driver in any car can crash anywhere. Whilst the performance of a car contributes, the driver mentality determines the ultimate outcome, so these sort of accidents happen the world over.
OK, I'll bite.

1. empathic, adjective
showing an ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
"an attentive, empathic listener"

2. empathetic, adjective
showing an ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
"she's compassionate and empathetic towards her daughter"
Don't get all adverby on me - google must be right.

3. sympathetic, adjective
a. feeling, showing, or expressing sympathy.
b.showing approval of or favour towards an idea or action.

Note the term sympathetic was not used in the post you were responding too, they were your words "that you don't understand."

4. So many conflicting statements? Huh?
We're on the thread discussing a supercar or two that someone has bought to our attention, and you talk of one car crash in a supercar
Correlation ( one crash?) does not imply causation.

Driver mentality determines the outcome? I always thought it was the sudden stop - Surely skills come into it?, what about risk management? Assess the risk and drive to the conditions? Environment? Bad timing (Even at slow speeds you can be hit by a red light runner or a driver asleep at the wheel)

Some would suggest the laws in this country are set to derive income and to accommodate a very very low skill base in the modern car. These same people would probably suggest you go and spend your time on the funpolice@speedkills forum and not on the thread theme of supercars talking about one accident of one moderately priced motor vehicle.

I believe the young 'uns have a term for those that comment on threads they have no interest in...

Back on subject, That Regera Hydraulic body closure system at under 5Kg is just plain cool.

Last edited by 383hq; 18-09-2017 at 06:41 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #114
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
5 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #115
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a vehicle. If that represents performance then my F6 is the definition of extremely slow lmao what a car, that is pushing the boundaries on so many levels, just insane. I wonder if Tempe Tyres would stock the tyres for it - one of the models 4 tyres cost $90000, actually that may be the rims. Toys for the insanely rich! And Chris Harris, my vote for the best motoring journo on the planet.

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 25-06-2018 at 11:04 PM.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #116
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMHO these so-called "Hyper" cars have lost a signifiant part of their relevance to motoring enthusiasts. I suppose one can still admire them, but in a different way, in the fashion of say a military enthusiast who might admire tanks, or an aircraft enthusiast who admires fighter jets.
But even then, the problem is that they are nolonger functional.
Even a $50M jet has a purpose.

These cars are simply an item of Jewellery, and not even the type of Jewellery that relatively rich people might actually wear, but rather those items created purely for their expense, to be locked away in private collections.

Cars that achieved great results based on flair, experience, design skill, etc, are to be admired even when priced well beyond the reach of ordinary man. But in the modern era, when it comes down simply to computers and how much money you're prepared to sink in R&D, it just seems too easy to slip from aspirational to ostentatious.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #117
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
What a vehicle. If that represents performance then my F6 is the definition of extremely slow lmao what a car, that is pushing the boundaries on so many levels, just insane. I wonder if Tempe Tyres would stock the tyres for it - one of the models 4 tyres cost $90000, actually that may be the rims. Toys for the insanely rich! And Chris Harris, my vote for the best motoring journo on the planet.

Last I heard was $28,000 for a tyre.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #118
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
IMHO these so-called "Hyper" cars have lost a signifiant part of their relevance to motoring enthusiasts. I suppose one can still admire them, but in a different way, in the fashion of say a military enthusiast who might admire tanks, or an aircraft enthusiast who admires fighter jets.
But even then, the problem is that they are nolonger functional.
Even a $50M jet has a purpose.

These cars are simply an item of Jewellery, and not even the type of Jewellery that relatively rich people might actually wear, but rather those items created purely for their expense, to be locked away in private collections.

Cars that achieved great results based on flair, experience, design skill, etc, are to be admired even when priced well beyond the reach of ordinary man. But in the modern era, when it comes down simply to computers and how much money you're prepared to sink in R&D, it just seems too easy to slip from aspirational to ostentatious.
You could drive a Veyron everyday if you wanted to. It's practicle enough to do it. It's not ridiculously impracticle like some track biased hypercars are. Hydraulic lift to raise the suspension to get over speed humps etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #119
xrystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Last I heard was $28,000 for a tyre.
I read some time back that the replacement tyre includes everything including the hubs the brakes the wheels and the tyres and has to be done at the factory , the tyres are not available for individual purchase , the tyre swap was quoted at $100k USD.
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #120
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
I read some time back that the replacement tyre includes everything including the hubs the brakes the wheels and the tyres and has to be done at the factory , the tyres are not available for individual purchase , the tyre swap was quoted at $100k USD.
They fly out to you and do it. Servicing too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post