Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > XR6 & XR8 Club of Queensland > XR Club of Qld Discussions

Old 02-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
lakesideguy

Default Lakeside Near The Starting Line

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts' sources confirm that at least three of the seven organisations invited by the Pine Rivers Shire Council to manage Lakeside International Raceway have declined to tender for the business. It is understood that those who decided not to submit business proposals were not strong supporters of amatuer motorsport.

"We know the organisations that have made submissions have taken it very seriously and conducted themselves in a professional manner. We can only hope the Council will see fit to reciprocate in kind and finally deliver a return for ratepayers", said LMRE president Ian Milton.

A 20 year lease has reportedly been offered by the Council in exchange for limited track days at the former Australian Grand Prix circuit. It is not yet known if other restrictions will be applied to motorsport operations.

The historic track has suffered vandalism and neglect since the Pine River Shire Council purchase in 2001. Applicants are anticipating a need to invest in the facility's infrastructure and are confident of cooperation from motorsport's governing bodies to re-license the track.

The deadline for submissions was Friday, 26 May and tenderers are expecting a decision as early as mid-July 2006.

Ian Milton stated, "I'm pleased to see efforts heading in the right direction, but I still harbour concerns that the tender process is but a cynical ploy by Council to satisfy their obligations under the heritage deal!"

Additionally, the PRSC has been busy over the past few weeks demolishing the old office and barn, along with old toilet blocks.

However, essential motorsport items such as the racing surface and guard rails are protected for another four years by the deal with the Queensland Heritage Council that resulted in the removal of the heritage listing.

More info available at www.lakesideraceway.com.

Scott
Publicity Officer
Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts, Inc.

lakesideguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
YGOSLO
REVENGE

Default Lakeside

Scott,

It would be so good to get this great track opened again, it leaves Qld Raceway for dead, I have driven there in a couple of events and it was bloody magic.

I heard that Qld Raceway ( Mr Tetley) was going to put in a bid, was he one of the bidders that dropped out?

Regards

YGOSLO
YGOSLO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scott as a local to Lakeside and I have attended a few of the LRME meetings that is fantastic news to all involved. The last thing I want to see is the fantastic track closed permanently and turned into housing development just feeding the already greedy council coffers.
Lets just pray and hope this stays as a motorsport complex look what happened to Amaroo in Sydney and what nearly happened to Oran Park

Alan
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Good news on the old track hopefully.

You could almost say it would be irresponsible for local councils to approve more housing developments, given the known amount of strain put on the water resourses in the SE Qld area, and how the ongoing population explosion in the region has contributed to it.
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesideguyA 20 year lease has reportedly been offered by the Council in exchange for limited track days at the former Australian Grand Prix circuit. It is not yet known if other restrictions will be applied to motorsport operations.

The historic track has suffered vandalism and neglect since the Pine River Shire Council purchase in 2001.

Ian Milton stated, [B
"I still harbour concerns that the tender process is but a cynical ploy by Council to satisfy their obligations under the heritage deal!"

Additionally, the PRSC has been busy over the past few weeks demolishing the old office and barn, along with old toilet blocks. [/B]

However, essential motorsport items such as the racing surface and guard rails are protected for another four years by the deal with the Queensland Heritage Council that resulted in the removal of the heritage listing.

More info available at www.lakesideraceway.com.

Scott
Publicity Officer
Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts, Inc.

Looks pretty fishy to me, like the Councils just going through the motions.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Mr Mooch
Mr Mooch

Talking Any updates on this?

Just wondering if anything further has happened with this.
It seems like forever since Lakeside closed.
I was on a team that ran a Sports Sedan there for a few years.
It was a very demanding circuit and also very unforgiving for the inexperienced.
Still seeing the likes of Johnson in the Bryan Byrt Ford Hardtop and Grice in his Chickadee Torana was awesome. I still remember walking around the old pit areas and getting invited by the teams for a look or a sit in their cars.
Imagine that now days.

Mr Mooch
Old 15-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
jmc-007

Why is the heritage listing being removed for ?
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

I think the main reason is:

The council are looking at options on leasing the property to a company (or individual) and they figured that no-one would touch the place if it were still Heritage Listed.

I for one wouldn't be interested in a long term lease over a property that is Heritage Listed. What a pain in the bum it would be to try to improve the property.

Fingers crossed that the winning tender is from someone who will utilise the property to its' full potential.

Must be close to decision time for the council now. Each day is getting more and more stressful waiting for them!

Wish us luck.

Cheers,