Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
V6 zephyrdore
Starter Motor

Default 1958 zephyr ute mk2

Just wondering what the old zephyrs are usually going for unrestored. Ive just come across one with a vn v6 front end,engine and diff. Wondering if its worth restoring as original or leave the v6 in
V6 zephyrdore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
malbaby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 1958 zephyr ute mk2

Depends if the ute has Engineer's certification.
malbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
V6 zephyrdore
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbaby View Post
Depends if the ute has Engineer's certification.
It doesnt at the moment. Im finishing off the conversion,
Old 04-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leave it as is, if it is roadworthy and still has the original body panels
The drive train of these, although good back in the day, is fragile, and I am comparing this to what you have in it now, again, provided it has been done properly.
The engine was 4 main bearing, and responded well to hot modifications, but with a very much reduced life expectancy.
The Macpherson strut front end handled better than the Holdens of the day, but again was not as robust as the double wishbones.
Same for the gearbox and diff. Fast wearing bearings, whine and backlash were standard equipment.
Don't misunderstand me, I had one, and it was great …… back in 1966. Obtaining parts now will be an adventure.
If it looks original, the Commodore conversion will be less headaches for reliability.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
V6 zephyrdore
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=lra;6265092]Leave it as is, if it is roadworthy and still has the original body panels everything is original body interior etc. just has a ffull vn front end trans,diff, wiring. Everythings been done pretty good, there is a bit of rust in the rail rails that concerns me the most
Old 04-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I meant, leave the Commodore bits there. On re-reading what I wrote, it may have come across as 'leave it original'.
Old cars such as this, looking original, create enthusiast interest and approval.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I learned to drive in dad's 1961 Mk2 Zephyr ..two tone grey . Apart from the turning circle of the Queen Mary and sticky gear linkages for the three on the tree she served us faithfully for yonks .

Personally I'd have it different . But that's only because I'm not a fan of a Holden/Ford mix unless it's for street rods or something similar .

Good luck with whatever suits you though . That's the only opinion that really matters .

Last edited by roddy1960; 04-03-2019 at 09:14 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds interesting, do you have any pics?
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
BlueBear
Shockwave

Depends on whether it's an early 58 'high roof' or not.
These early ones are worth more if kept original.
Back in the day I had a 57 model and it was a great car, though as mentioned wheel alignment was a monthly exercise and gearbox repair was bi-annual.

The way to tell them apart (other than it having a taller roof line) is the different grille, dash and trim below the tail lights.
The grille has round parkers, the dash is a half circle rather than the later wide ones and below the tail lights was just a straight narrow chrome strip.

Here's a pic from long ago of my old one for reference.

For me personally I think the GM modification would devalue the car anyway, most enthusiasts would be put off by that.
If I was to do one it would probably be a barra or even an AU six.
I would actually love to try one with an ecoboost and 6 speed auto, but that's just me.

Some pics would be nice, still a real soft spot for these old girls.

Cheers,

Last edited by BlueBear; 04-03-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ I did a double look when I saw that photo. Driving lights, chrome headlight rings, colour ….. same.
Except mine had a black roof (they were cool back when) and Qld plates.

VN discs on the front subframe will be a huge improvement.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Leave the v6 in there just in case you go boating and forget to take an anchor.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
marty351
Shenanigans..............

For the purists...

Last edited by marty351; 28-03-2019 at 11:58 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. I did the commodore struts, front K frame (its a bit more involved than just a crossmember) and diff with the 4 wheel disc brakes (all from a VL) A 2 inch spacer on the top of the holden strut was enough to get a good ride height and move the top of the strut out far enough to get the alignment spot on. Ride was very firm compared to any zephyr bue it needed to be as you lost 6 inches of suspension travel in the front end. At least I kept the 302 windsor in it. Run a ford V8 or if it has to be a 6 try to squeeze an AU motor in, the old XE 250 x-flow does fit in the MK3 so the AU should go in as well. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #14
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The V8 conversion was popular at the time. One used to race regularly at Calder in the late 60s. Lots of oversteer, smoke and pace in a straight line.
The driver told me that it was a lot more than just sticking in a V8. Suspension, brakes and driveline were an ongoing replace and upgrade job. I don't remember the details.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sparked a bit of interest for me. My old man Put one of these in a ditch many years ago.

I see theres a Mk2 on car sales for $14750
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #16
Tezbo-BAXR8

I'm looking at buying a Zephyr Mk II sedan shortly and driving it back to Vic from S.A. Is there any precautions I should take, like sending it back to Vic on a truck, or should it be safe to drive back? IT has S.A rego and is stock
Regards,
TEZ
Vic
Tezbo-BAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #17
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know the Kiwis love them, Zephyrs that is.
Old 23-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #18
jimbo51
Starter Motor

I remember seeing a photo of a Zephyr sedan being raced in NZ with eight exhaust pipes poking straight up through the bonnet. Long time ago but.
jimbo51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #19
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezbo-BAXR8 View Post
I'm looking at buying a Zephyr Mk II sedan shortly and driving it back to Vic from S.A. Is there any precautions I should take, like sending it back to Vic on a truck, or should it be safe to drive back? IT has S.A rego and is stock
Regards,
TEZ
Vic
option1 better safe than sorry, put on truck or car trailer, would rather see it in one piece at your home than in pieces on side of road...

option2 I will drive it for you, just leave all keys and rego papers in glove box.
Old 23-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #20
Tezbo-BAXR8

Cheers Tonz,
I will get more info on the car and definitely let you know. I'm not sure of the condition of the motor and trans at the moment, but the car is registered and driveable, so I think I need to do my homework on this one, as if I am going to drive it to Vic myself, I need to do it over a weekend, and not sure if that's possible from S.A
Regards,
Tez
Old 23-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #21
BlueBear
Shockwave

If it's been in regular use then it should be OK to drive it over I would think.
What does the owner say?
I would guess the main issue you might have is overheating or some electrical issue.
Take tools and carry water, reckon if the owner thinks it's fine I would drive it.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #22
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what part Vic you from, I regularly did Adel - Melb in 8 hours but this old girl may need some gentle nursing,

Driveable...what does that mean
1 the engine runs, the gearbox works and wheels turn
2 I used to drive to the shops
3 driven every day by father inlaw
4 runs like a hairy dogs balls
5 goes like the clappers
Old 23-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #23
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Back in the 70's when my brother first got his license one of his mates inherited an EH holden that had to come back to Melbourne from Adelaide. They left Melb on friday night in another mates hotted up MK2 and picked up the holden at lunch time the next day. By dusk they had all driven the holden it was left to his mate who owned it to drive it from the vic border all by himself. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
Old 30-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #24
Tezbo-BAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. I did the commodore struts, front K frame (its a bit more involved than just a crossmember) and diff with the 4 wheel disc brakes (all from a VL) A 2 inch spacer on the top of the holden strut was enough to get a good ride height and move the top of the strut out far enough to get the alignment spot on. Ride was very firm compared to any zephyr bue it needed to be as you lost 6 inches of suspension travel in the front end. At least I kept the 302 windsor in it. Run a ford V8 or if it has to be a 6 try to squeeze an AU motor in, the old XE 250 x-flow does fit in the MK3 so the AU should go in as well. Cheers MD
Hi Foxtrot3,
I plan to fit a 347 Windsor to the Zephyr when I get her back to Melbourne, I was considering fitting an FG 6, but I love the V8!. I've heard about using commodore struts, but not sure about the K frame. Does the Zephyr K frame need to be changed over to a VL commodore K frame to suit the V8? I'm looking for advice, as this is my first build. I love the Mk 2 Zephyrs!
Cheers,
Tez
Old 30-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #25
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blo**dy cretin keep it stock....PLEASE
Old 30-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #26
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi Foxtrot3,
I plan to fit a 347 Windsor to the Zephyr when I get her back to Melbourne, I was considering fitting an FG 6, but I love the V8!. I've heard about using commodore struts, but not sure about the K frame. Does the Zephyr K frame need to be changed over to a VL commodore K frame to suit the V8? I'm looking for advice, as this is my first build. I love the Mk 2 Zephyrs!
Cheers,
Tez
Hi. The zephyr never had a K frame to start with, just a 2 inch tube cross member to support the engine and the lower control arm inner pivot. Fore and aft movement of the outer end of the lower control arm was by the sway bar that had a pivot under the front of the chassis rail. If they have put a complete commondoor front end in it they will have needed to have used the holden K frame to mount the lwr control arm inner pivots to and to mount the steering rack off. With the K frame, like the zephyr cross member you can use almost any front sump windsor or early 250. You would need to check sway bar clearance with the holden front end and must a left hand starter to clear the steering rack. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 30-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #27
Tezbo-BAXR8

Hi foxtrot3,
I'd like to keep the car as "Ford' s possible. not that I'm racist, but i'd like to limot the amount of GM parts used. I've been told I'll need to fit MK3 Zephyr lower control arms to suit the V8, does that mean I'll need to fit the upper control arms as well? If you don't mind, could you please send me an email to tezza36@hotmail.com
Cheers,
Tez
Old 30-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #28
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi foxtrot3,
I'd like to keep the car as "Ford' s possible. not that I'm racist, but i'd like to limot the amount of GM parts used. I've been told I'll need to fit MK3 Zephyr lower control arms to suit the V8, does that mean I'll need to fit the upper control arms as well? If you don't mind, could you please send me an email to tezza36@hotmail.com
Cheers,
Tez
Hi. The zephyr, like the commondoor didn't have an upper control arm they both have Macpherson strut type front ends. The ford design, first used on the MK1 zephyr was designed by Earl Macpherson who at the time worked for GM in the USA. The holden type with its lwr wishbone type control arm is more like a chapman strut. From memory the MK 2 and MK3 lwr arms are the same but the steering arm that bolts to the bottom of the strut and the ball joint is different to clear the zephyr brake caliper. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 31-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #29
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post deleted ….. I reread everything. It already has a Holden suspension, so no going back.

Last edited by lra; 31-01-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 31-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #30
Specialized29er

Just recently I spied an all original 56 ute example for $19,000 crazy price hey.
Specialized29er is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post