Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2019, 01:25 AM   #1
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford patents V8 hybrid Mustang

This would provide V8 power to the rear wheels and an electric motor for each of the front wheels. Exciting!

https://www.tflcar.com/2019/03/ford-...t-mules-spied/
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
Dave1966

Default Re: Ford patents V8 hybrid Mustang

“Wow, an exiting, unfolding piece of information, to be sure, is this the new, hybrid? We, think it is, because, I can write this story all about, it.”
I hope the report is more accurate than the writers grammar! I’d say he was possibly hypoxic.
If they truly lodged a patent that’s a great start, but I’m sure they lodge a lot of them that never get used, the rest of that article surely has to be tongue in cheek from the writer, hasn’t it?
It has emissions testing gear on the exhaust , it’s obviously a hybrid . Couldn’t possibly be emissions testing at altitude or similar hey.

Last edited by Dave1966; 07-03-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Absolutely cool....this will be exciting ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not surprised by this progression. Its an easier way now to make an AWD Mustang.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m not surprised, hybrids are already lurching towards a form of tokenism - the fact you can get TRD bits for a Priapis being one example. For the most part I suspect it’s the new diesel; marketed as a knight gallant scattering the polluting hordes.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why didn't they take pics of the front wheels and under the bumper? Would have answered their question straight away wether if has front drive shafts or electric hub motors.

Thought that would have been the obvious thing to do. Could have confirmed it right there on the spot.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Why didn't they take pics of the front wheels and under the bumper? Would have answered their question straight away wether if has front drive shafts or electric hub motors.

Thought that would have been the obvious thing to do. Could have confirmed it right there on the spot.
I gather the person responsible for the photos wasn't clued in on the possibility of a FWD setup.

The Hybrid V8 setup is going to be both for the F-150 and Mustang too.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I have a feeling that this hybrid system will add a similar 200 lb ft of torque at the bottom end
and about 50 hp at the top as the incoming gearbox based RWD hybrids in Explorer/Aviator

That could mean the US GT will be around 500 hp/500 lb ft and the RHD version ~50 hp less.
Equally if added to the 2.3 Ecoboost, power and torque would become 370 hp/500 lb ft....

I wonder if the Americans keep this to themselves or share with others...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a hub motor by NSK containing planetary gears and a way to select ratio. (NSK is usually a manufacturer of wheel bearings etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2tlXHiPTFY

And here is a hub motor by Protean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSz-en0mhIc

Hub motors would add quite some weight to the wheel hub / carrier, and it will be a challenge to find space without full re-design of the suspension parts.

Have anyone looked up Ford's patent to see what they actually are trying to limit others from doing?

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Have anyone looked up Ford's patent to see what they actually are trying to limit others from doing?

Cheers,
In the patent they talk about the electric motors for each front wheel being mounted directly to the sides of the engine and each having its own reduction gearbox.

I’m guessing since there isn’t much space for either a high torque electric motor or they can’t put enough cells to give a high current output, they would use a reduction gearbox to up the torque given by what could be small electric motors.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not behd.
There are already a few performance hybrids, so I'm sure it will be great
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #12
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mounting the front el.motors near the sump will require driveshafts, but will resolve the problem with unsprung mass.
Will be interesting to see.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post