Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Lego

I defy you to shift this to the video section.
Its just insane

https://www.facebook.com/LEGOAustral...19491384/?t=15
Old 17-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lego

*No virginity was harmed during the making of this film.*
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody hell thats a great effort.

My son Loooves Lego.

Might get him to build me a Replica GT HO when he's older and more experienced!!!

GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Godzilla73

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-629...gtho-iii/#info

This should give the young bloke a good start.
Godzilla73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
.:4:.
Kicking back

My kid has loved lego since he was 3. He now is almost 10 and goes hard on the more advanced technic. I do on occasion work for the lego australia office and as a grown man, their showroom is probably the one place where even i want one of most things. Its pretty cool. So my aunty is a peodiotrician. Or whatever they call the doctors for children, and she primarily works with underprivileged children. Now as a parent, i reckon the instructions in lego kits are extremely comprehensive and in picture form. My aunty uses those as a tool because they are great for development of young minds as they are so descriptive in a picture form. My young bloke reads and writes as he should, nothing wrong in that department, but with the lego he has this sense of wanting to achieve because he has built things correctly off the instructions and got it right before. Its a stark contrast to one of the guys i work with who accepts failure like thats normal and used to think theres always someone else who will fix it.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
My kid has loved lego since he was 3. He now is almost 10 and goes hard on the more advanced technic. I do on occasion work for the lego australia office and as a grown man, their showroom is probably the one place where even i want one of most things. Its pretty cool. So my aunty is a peodiotrician. Or whatever they call the doctors for children, and she primarily works with underprivileged children. Now as a parent, i reckon the instructions in lego kits are extremely comprehensive and in picture form. My aunty uses those as a tool because they are great for development of young minds as they are so descriptive in a picture form. My young bloke reads and writes as he should, nothing wrong in that department, but with the lego he has this sense of wanting to achieve because he has built things correctly off the instructions and got it right before. Its a stark contrast to one of the guys i work with who accepts failure like thats normal and used to think theres always someone else who will fix it.
My son is nearly 8 and suffers from mild A.D.D.

He's fine when he's around me tho he's absolute angel not much trouble at all.

But my god when he gets a new Lego kit its ON like donkey kong.

He's presently building his own medium sized Lego City with biuldings and the Lego train sets around the outside on the top of his mums pools table.

He seems to be a natural at it....Like me..... disassembling and putting things back together again!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did we finally find the car kmav drives
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It's the truth that many newer car interiors are almost like Lego in the way they go together and come apart, much less fragile than once (different plastics, better moulding tech) - could get the kids into cleaning up flood damaged cars, pulling them right down, washing all the bits and then building them back up.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #9
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIK6WGN View Post
My son is nearly 8 and suffers from mild A.D.D.

He's fine when he's around me tho he's absolute angel not much trouble at all.

But my god when he gets a new Lego kit its ON like donkey kong.

He's presently building his own medium sized Lego City with biuldings and the Lego train sets around the outside on the top of his mums pools table.

He seems to be a natural at it....Like me..... disassembling and putting things back together again!!!
I didnt get too far into it with my aunties reasoning why, but yes, your correct in why she uses it as a tool at times with kids with ADD. Everything is that layed out and explained so unless theres external distraction, success in the task is going to happen which does well with with that kind of person. The success is the prize. My kid doesnt have any attention related issues but likes building stuff. My older brother and mum both have ADD. Both if just at the task at hand get good at it and get it done. Distractions make, not so much my mum, but my brother flys off the handle. He is 6 years my senior and im in my 30s. He is amazing on the guitar and that's his thing. Give him the time and not intrude on his space and thats where the magic happens. But his guitar has been thrown through windows before. But it also works both ways. Eh, ive made the top marks in the highest grade in percussion and my drumkit is a 1995 model (i did percussion, drumkit was the easiest way to nail the top mark in grade 8 trinity) and at 17 had the goods, but jam sessions were a tad weird. They wouldnt end. He would be creative as anything but id get tired and he for the life of him would not stop. I liked drumming and getting creative to his style of guitarism, but he was dead set focussed on his task at hand. Also i much prefer grabbing a sneaky beer with my brother. Last time we went for beers we lost my car, he was focussed on the task at hand.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:03 PM   #10
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone seen the new Lego Mustang recently released?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 11:10 PM   #11
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/product/Ford-Mustang-10265

Great set to build, I’m currently trying to motorise and automate mine.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2019, 11:33 PM   #12
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
did we finally find the car kmav drives
What? This?

Last edited by marty351; 14-06-2019 at 02:44 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #13
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
What? This?
yeah what ever it is ,its truly on another planet
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Reading Lego instructions maxe assembling flat pack furniture so much easier!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lego was a huge part of my childhood and I kept ALL of it and as the kids came along out came the Lego.

Interesting to read the comments on here and in particular the focus on the instruction booklets. My youngest boy would follow them to a T, and thats all great but I would always push the creativity of building without a set of instructions to follow.
Get the basics of overlapping bricks for strength, etc and then build using the imagination. I'd sometimes give him some minimum requirements (eg. vehicle needs to be at least 20cm long, 3 axles, has to carry bricks and of course not break in 2).

I see there is a show coming, Lego Masters. Not a fan of the host but I'll need to take a quick look at least I think
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #16
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Lego was a huge part of my childhood and I kept ALL of it and as the kids came along out came the Lego.

Interesting to read the comments on here and in particular the focus on the instruction booklets. My youngest boy would follow them to a T, and thats all great but I would always push the creativity of building without a set of instructions to follow.
Get the basics of overlapping bricks for strength, etc and then build using the imagination. I'd sometimes give him some minimum requirements (eg. vehicle needs to be at least 20cm long, 3 axles, has to carry bricks and of course not break in 2).

I see there is a show coming, Lego Masters. Not a fan of the host but I'll need to take a quick look at least I think
I was the same as a kid, had a ceiling fan box full of the stuff. Me and my brother built semi’s and space ships like on Star Wars. Gave it all to my nephew who never played with it and got thrown out, I recon it’s cause it didn’t have batteries...

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #17
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
I was the same as a kid, had a ceiling fan box full of the stuff. Me and my brother built semi’s and space ships like on Star Wars. Gave it all to my nephew who never played with it and got thrown out, I recon it’s cause it didn’t have batteries...
And your uncle who gave you a yo-yo and a hula hoop wonders why you never played with that?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #18
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
And your uncle who gave you a yo-yo and a hula hoop wonders why you never played with that?
Yo-yo's were cool if you could do some basic tricks. I could walk the dog and do a couple of others but when I tried to do around the world or the Helicopter...yeah, back to the Atari.

Hula Hoop - well if I went into someones yard to play and the adults weren't looking I would Frisbie it as far as I could over the neighbours fence - useless.

If you couldn't build anything as a kid LEGO wasn't on top of your Christmas list I'm guessing. OK, maybe the LEGO Castle series.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #19
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I played lots with the yo-yo, round the world, walk the dog and so on. The hula hoop thing wasn’t my cup a tea. How did you go with the hoop thingy?

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
Old 18-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #20
Kicking back

Quote:
I played lots with the yo-yo, round the world, walk the dog and so on. The hula hoop thing wasn’t my cup a tea. How did you go with the hoop thingy?
Yo yos got banned when i was in primary school. They were the craze at the time, but there were a few to many epic sack whacks. Yeah, right in the aggots. Thinking back, whilst lego is awesome, from the parental side of things its deadly. Not the choking hazard, thats darwinism. But the 2am get out of bed to go to the toilet and step on a rouge brick. It wakes you up, but not in a good way. My current house and the prior place i rented have wood floors so the addition of the minor slide stepping on the painful rouge brick adds to the experience.
Old 19-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

It's funny this thread popped up actually.

Recently got the Porsche GT3 RS, pretty fun build! Built it in RHD too...prompted me to join a Technic FB group and it had a little nostalgic trip when seeimg the older kits posted etc.

The prices for classic kits are nuts!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #22
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was a lad Lego was only a dream from some nutter, immagine building something from plastic (what the 'ell was that) and a book.
With 2 brothers every birthday we would get the original metal Meccano sets, one mean uncle would open up the box first and remove all instruction books then give them to us six months later, but we build massive stuff, meals finished up being in the kitchen cause our modeldstook over family/dining room. Biggest was a 5' long aircraft carrier.

Ahh memory lane how sweet it is
Old 19-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #23
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
It's funny this thread popped up actually.

Recently got the Porsche GT3 RS, pretty fun build! Built it in RHD too...prompted me to join a Technic FB group and it had a little nostalgic trip when seeimg the older kits posted etc.

The prices for classic kits are nuts!
Get the Veyron, it’s better again!
Old 19-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #24
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Cool!.....but even the Lego McLaren is probably still outa my price range

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #25
Kicking back

2 Christmases ago i bought my kid the technic bmw k1200 (i think thats the model) enduro bike kit. It has moving parts in the sence you roll it and the pistons move. My kid likes knowing how stuff works and whilst motors are a little more complex then a crank and pistons he had a somewhat at times frustrating time building it, i purposfully didnt help, look at the instructions i said a few too many times, once he was done he was proud as punch. There were so many cooler kits i could have got him, but i wasnt spending $300 on technic, so $80 was still not entirely cheap, but the kid doesnt know my thought process. I have got the little unit (not really that little, hes 5 foot and not evem 10 yet) into rc cars too. Probably not my finest financial decision, but a bit of fun. The 1/10 scale truck he has is very mainstream for a proper servicable rc car, parts are everywhere, hence why it was my decision, and the slot car sized carpet racer again parts are easy to get, and i was surprised at how well that thing goes. Granted i have had an off chops rc car before. And still have the brushless motor and esc and 11.1v 3 cell lipos for it, but whilst my kid has my wheelie bar fitted to his truck and various sets of wheels and tyres (road treads, sand, dirt track, off road etc) im not letting him modify the running gear untill he can handle the thing stock with the short gears fitted. Still does 45kmh though.
Old 19-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The modern lego is rock hard plastic. I recall my lego as a lad being quite rubbery and more flexible - the larger pieces anyway. Am I mistaken?

When did it transition to the hard stuff we are used to today? I still have my set running around somewhere in a box at my parents shed. Probably been turned into a rat nest by now with the rest of my childhood stuff.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #27
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
The modern lego is rock hard plastic. I recall my lego as a lad being quite rubbery and more flexible - the larger pieces anyway. Am I mistaken?

When did it transition to the hard stuff we are used to today? I still have my set running around somewhere in a box at my parents shed. Probably been turned into a rat nest by now with the rest of my childhood stuff.
LEGO bricks have always been rock hard. I’ve noticed a lot of the kits they have now use purpose made bricks. I haven’t seen any new sets but it doesn’t look as multi purpose as it used to be. We had the big police station back in the 70’s and a few other largish kits. You were limited to your imagination

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
Old 19-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
LEGO bricks have always been rock hard. I’ve noticed a lot of the kits they have now use purpose made bricks. I haven’t seen any new sets but it doesn’t look as multi purpose as it used to be. We had the big police station back in the 70’s and a few other largish kits. You were limited to your imagination
You seem to be correct after some research. Knowing my parents they probably go me a knock-off version

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #29
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Lego, Yo Yos, Hola Hoops?
Geez al we had was a piece of string and a few old boxes....
And Matchbox Cars.......

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #30
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

matchbox cars! we were lucky to find the boxes...