Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Why arent cars selling?

Ive had my car on the market for probably 6 - 7 weeks now and have only received a few phone calls / texts which have eventuated into nothing. What is the go at the moment?

I have my carsales setup to watch all the other similar cars to mine and none of them have sold either.

Is it just Territory's that aren't selling at the moment? or what?

I usually have no problem selling cars privately, prepare them and price them correctly and they just go within weeks, but this one is really starting to bother me.

Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why arent cars selling?

It is a slow market at the moment, especially in certain types of cars. Reducing price is the easiest way to move something.

It is also typically slow before the end of the financial year, thats why there are sales everywhere.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Sold mine in 2 days, first caller no haggling and mine was at the very top of the market.

Depends on what you've got.

EDIT: I need to change my avatar and sig, no it wasn't the Skoda (traded that in and it's still for sale 5 months later lol). It was a HJ61 Cruiser.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Ive had my car on the market for probably 6 - 7 weeks now and have only received a few phone calls / texts which have eventuated into nothing. What is the go at the moment?

I have my carsales setup to watch all the other similar cars to mine and none of them have sold either.

Is it just Territory's that aren't selling at the moment? or what?

I usually have no problem selling cars privately, prepare them and price them correctly and they just go within weeks, but this one is really starting to bother me.
It is a buyers market in used cars. Lots of options for the money. You will find that many private sellers want more than a dealers. They look at redbook and expect to get 70% after 2 years . Ones that price their cars 10% over dealer trade in sell quickly .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
It is a buyers market in used cars. Lots of options for the money. You will find that many private sellers want more than a dealers. They look at redbook and expect to get 70% after 2 years . Ones that price their cars 10% over dealer trade in sell quickly .
Well that's where I have priced mine.

And it hasn't sold.

Anyway I guess Ill just have to sit tight, because if I drop it much more I may as well go give it to a dealer then deal with all the BS.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Lean times, economic uncertainty, people losing jobs, people not really wanting to spend.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

I know what you mean. Basically the economy's not real good and my understanding is they're having a hard time moving new Territories and Falcons - even at a discount, so you're not going to sell a 3 year old or older one easily unless it is a really good deal for someone. People want a bargain these days so price it cheap and be prepared to let it go for even cheaper if you want it gone. Or cut your losses and trade it.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
commonrails

It's not just cars it's almost everything in the second hand market at the moment. Globalisation and a disposable society to blame, perhaps?
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

• This time of year, makers are running all sorts of specials to move stock, and there are STILL last years models sitting in the NEW car lots. Many people will have rushed to buy in the EOFY sales, but by the end of this month things should be back to normal.
  • Many people will have opted for a new LPG car, or bought one to get converted before the deadline. Again that will resolve.
  • There is a lot of uncertainty out there. People assumed that the economy would rebound under Abbott but we are yet to see it, and people are now waiting to see if the promised repeals of the mining & carbon taxes deliver a boost. (NB: Just stating facts here about peoples perceptions and expectations, this is not a political debate.)
  • There are a LOT of late model Terris around in the 2nd hand market. Heaps of 2013 demos, and a lot of 2011 & 12 coming off 2 year leases.
  • Titaniums and Ghias are a weird market (I'm in the market for a Ghia Turbo.) If you want the leather seats, there's no choice, but it is hard to justify the cost.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonrails View Post
It's not just cars it's almost everything in the second hand market at the moment. Globalisation and a disposable society to blame, perhaps?
Tell me about it. Trying to sell 2 sofas at the moment on EBAY. In good nick. No reserve and can't even get one bid. They're going to the Salvos on Friday if no takers.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
commonrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Tell me about it. Trying to sell 2 sofas at the moment on EBAY. In good nick. No reserve and can't even get one bid. They're going to the Salvos on Friday if no takers.
It's hard, I'm listing good stuff on ebay that I've bought off ebay second hand and now need gone as we are moving and I can't even get a sale at 99 cents. Wish I was in the buyers market rather then the sellers at the moment.
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Everything is slow at the moment:

- Construction industry in Victoria
- Retail industry
- Workshops (barely any work around for local business owners)

Cars aren't moving, people aren't buying things off ebay.

Slow patch at the moment I think.

I'm trying to sell stuff on Ebay too and no luck, odd question here and there and I'm priced well under the market.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

No spare cash, confidence in the economy isn't as high as it could be, worry about the jobs market for individuals and their teenage kids.

I'm lucky at the moment, work is still coming in strong. While others in the same trade are slowing down. My partner and I have been thinking about hiring for 4 months but we don't have the confidence in the market. There needs to be changes to give us confidence, instead there is opposition to change.

Today I had three reps come in trying to get me to changeover to them. With promises of painting the whole building and replacing all signage. When I ask why, they tell me it's quiet out their and they've been told to do just about anything to get sales and increase their market exposure.

I hope the confidence comes soon, if not it could bog down and we'll be in for a long slow new financial year.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also find depending what car you have. I tried selling a 99 corolla recently and was asking 3500 as it was in perfect condition. No one called and barely anyone was looking at the listings. I had a chat with a relative who works as a salesman at a dealer ship as a salesman. The used car sales have dropped dramatically over the last few years. The current state of the economy does not help either. A lot of people also take out loans or lease brand new cars. Even young people. When i got my first car, the max any of my mates spent was 5k and no one was keen enough on taking loans. Just another sign of life how we know it is changing.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

What are you after for your Territory by the way.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ill take 35k.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
pmacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
It is a slow market at the moment, especially in certain types of cars. Reducing price is the easiest way to move something.

It is also typically slow before the end of the financial year, thats why there are sales everywhere.
Spot on, sold the old mans Mitsu Colt (which had been on the market for 4 months close to the top of its price range) last week by dropping $500 of the price and making it one of the cheapest in SA.

My co worker has been trying to sell his V8 crewman for a year now with no luck even after he dropped the price to well under the market guide.

Market is tight atm and the only things moving are cheap little run abouts
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #18
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

There's 838 Territory's 2009-2012 on carsales.com.au - one thing about Ford's success with the Territory is that the used car market is flooded with them. Doesn't mean everyman is out there waiting for a second hand one, but when they do, they have lots of choice.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #19
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My apprentice sold hid hiace SBV van last week, dead set dodgy with new tyres and rego. Phone/facebook has rang for a week.
He bought a VT manual wagon-regoed low miles full service history $1800. Contractor purchased the vehicle for a 2 month job-sold it for offers.

cousin purchased a 5.7 jeep in good order from a retired gent, for $2000, swapped it for the last shape courier XLT crew cab in very good order as it was underpowered for a caravan.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #20
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in 2010 I purchased A 2006 BF11 wagon with onroad cost from a dealer for $10 000, most people I know will look at a territory at the same level of depretiation.

My employer has stopped selling cars at low KM because we getting around 30% return.

17 000Km forrester- $23K.---- 70 000KM $9-11 K.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Unless your selling a fuel mising bubble car (you know the cars you wear) then it's alwaysx going to be hard to move stuff.

The money at the moment just isn't out there. And those who do have it either aren't spending it or are in a completely different market to what your selling.

And when I mean the money isn't out there I mean it. Everyone I know has tightened the belt a couple of notches to make sure ends are meeting or to build up a bit in reserve to help when there is a fallshort. And the new budget hasn't helped this.

Even the employment sector is hard ATM. I have applied for over 40+ jobs since the beginning of this year (nudging 50 in fact) in my profession (residential drafting) and have only had 2 call backs and one interview. Which didn't go anywhere.

And then I got an email from seek.com.au with new jobs and statistics that stated.

10 Jobs advertised over the past week (up one on previous week)
103 applications (up 4 on previous week)

That's a 10 to 1 ratio. I've gotten a few others with similar numbers as well. No wonder I can't get a job back in drafting! Every other out of work draftsman is trying to as well!

And I am pretty sure you could copy the same figures for almost any other profession and sector.

And I may not have a job soon in my other field as the sites are being franchised out...... So much uncertainty.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #22
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to be honest, mate, if I was gonna spend 35k on a car im not gonna risk it buying privately, ill go to a dealer who will have something for a similar price with stat warranty protection and a drop your pants finance offer.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
to be honest, mate, if I was gonna spend 35k on a car im not gonna risk it buying privately,
So if he was selling a mint condition 2013 GT-P for $35k, you'd rather pay a dealer $60k for the same car?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #24
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
So if he was selling a mint condition 2013 GT-P for $35k, you'd rather pay a dealer $60k for the same car?
Cmon, Dazz, a tezz is a big **** thirsty vehicle. If you are buying a new one most buyers will get the diesel, second hand they are dime a dozen, so your comparison to a sought after specialty model is rather extreme.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine averages 8.3 litres per hundred. That's not the problem.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #26
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I am in the same situation. Barely a call about a nice low km BF XR6.
Guides says $12-14000, started at $11000 down to $9500 still nothing.

I think it is easier to go into a car yard and get finance, also I guess with petrol going up no one wants large cars anymore.

The demise of Ford cant be helping either, people think there car will suddenly stop or explode or something.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
to be honest, mate, if I was gonna spend 35k on a car im not gonna risk it buying privately, ill go to a dealer who will have something for a similar price with stat warranty protection and a drop your pants finance offer.
That's why you price accordingly. Dealer examples aren't selling either, I'm watching them all on carsales.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #28
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Ones that price their cars 10% over dealer trade in sell quickly .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Well that's where I have priced mine.

And it hasn't sold.
I think what Sumo meant was "10% over Dealer WHOLESALE valuation" not whatever over-inflated figure they offered as a trade on a new car.

For $25k ($10k less than you're asking) I can get a 2013 Diesel, under a year old, with less than 20k on the clock. Or a 2012 with similar k's to yours from a Dealer.
In the 2nd hand market, people aren't willing to pay a $10k premium for a Ti, especially not RWD.

Even at a dealer, who will try to CHARGE a big premium for a Ti, cars like yours are listing at under $35k drive away.

Your car IS well looked after and has some nice extras, but people search first on price
Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I think what Sumo meant was "10% over Dealer WHOLESALE valuation" not whatever over-inflated figure they offered as a trade on a new car.

For $25k ($10k less than you're asking) I can get a 2013 Diesel, under a year old, with less than 20k on the clock. Or a 2012 with similar k's to yours from a Dealer.
In the 2nd hand market, people aren't willing to pay a $10k premium for a Ti, especially not RWD.

Even at a dealer, who will try to CHARGE a big premium for a Ti, cars like yours are listing at under $35k drive away.

Your car IS well looked after and has some nice extras, but people search first on price
Dealer has offered 32 wholesale which I will take.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate to say it fella's but we are in for the 'ride of a lifetime'......Ford/Holden/Toyota ALL shutting down doors not too far away has frightened EVERYONE and changed their perceptions of how the economy is progressing/NOT progressing.

We are only in the early days of a massive 'deflationary' period where cheap money was all too available.

FYI interest rates have been 0.00 in the U.S for 5 yrs and their economy is still falling behind.

I'm not sure wot 'The Federal Reserve' are going to do next but they have already started axing ther stimulus program and the unemployment numbers are still not improving.

We arent even close to 2016/17 yet......Wots it going to be like when the doors are closed?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: