Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
-=FoRdEseries=-

Default Very Thirsty EA

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum btw, Seems like a top forum!
My mate just recently recieved a Ford EA Ghia that has done abouwt 122,000 for his 16th birthday not to long ago, it has an MPI I6. To sum it all up, it has been running very cold through-out its life (Max ever seen on temp gauge is just above a 1/4) and is very heavy on petrol, between 16l-18l in normal city driving (btw thats not going hard just normal driving) And about 300l-380l on a tank. It has always been ran on premium fuel. I have read that it has something to do with the temp sensor. Would Someone please be able to confirm this because its abit hard to find info on this site due to being new. His Dad is a mechanic so no hassles installing it.
Thanks and Very Much Appreciated.

-=FoRdEseries=- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
crannersEL
Banned

I had a similar problem with my EL, it could be one of many problems

Check and maybe change the following,

* o2 Sensor
* Temp Sensor
* Spark plugs and leads

Take the car to a mechanic and get them to run a diagnostic on the car, this will pin point the issue straight away, and save you money in the long run!

Good luck

Cranners
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

I had an ED Falcon that did this... Like the EA, it had done very little K's (67,000k's)

It turned out to be, my thermostat was stuck open.

Replaced the thermostat, and it warmed up with no problems, and fuel consumption dropped to 9l/100ks.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
-=FoRdEseries=-

Thanks Guys for your responce! I think we will just replace the thermostat and if that doesnt help we will take the car to a mechanic and get them to run a diagnostic on it. Last question, is their any type of thermostat he should get? like degree's wise or just replace it with the exact same one?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
hmc 'mont
ELMONTY

cant your mates dad (the mechanic) run a diagnostic on it for him??
Old 04-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds for sure like it either has no/stuckopen thermostat like the guys have mentioned.
Ive come across a few like this that commonly resulted in finding the car overheating after a thermostat was installed:(
A good radiator flush/reco (tanks off) and a reverse flush of the system would be worth it too for the sake of it.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
-=FoRdEseries=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmc 'mont
cant your mates dad (the mechanic) run a diagnostic on it for him??
Na im pretty sure he cant.. if the new thermostat doesnt work i think we will just do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothin suss
Sounds for sure like it either has no/stuckopen thermostat like the guys have mentioned.
Ive come across a few like this that commonly resulted in finding the car overheating after a thermostat was installed:(
A good radiator flush/reco (tanks off) and a reverse flush of the system would be worth it too for the sake of it.
Yeah thats what i was thinking the new thermostat would do.. but hopefully not.. If it does that we will just take it out, then get someone to run a daignostic on it. We went for a 20k drive last week and temp was about 19 Degrees, the temp gauge was about half way between completly cold n were it should normally should run..
Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
-=FoRdEseries=-

Lol, now my mate just told me that he isnt sure if he wants it done..due to it isnt his car, but on permanent loan. He says that the person who gave him the car probally wouldnt mind, but he just doesnt want to fiddle with the engine (he asked his dad to do it but he doesnt really want to touch it for the moment). Do you guys think its worth the savings or should he just leave it?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Sundeep
Banned

It's just an EA mate, the thermostat is like 2x10mm bolts and it pulls out. It's a $13 part. The owner wouldn't even know about it.

You guys and your mate's mechanic Dad are sissy's!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

tell him to just do it... its preventative maintainance..... its so easy to do its not funny
tell him to buy the max ellery service manual... 35 bucks or there abouts from any auto shop....

in that manual it explains how to do a multitude of tasks its a good book, well worth buying

definatley also dump the coolant and flush the system at the same time

it'll run much better once done
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #11
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=FoRdEseries=-
Lol, now my mate just told me that he isnt sure if he wants it done..due to it isnt his car, but on permanent loan. He says that the person who gave him the car probally wouldnt mind, but he just doesnt want to fiddle with the engine (he asked his dad to do it but he doesnt really want to touch it for the moment). Do you guys think its worth the savings or should he just leave it?
For the saving and the increased motor longevity it needs fixing .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
-=FoRdEseries=-

Yeah thanks 4 that guys, much Appreciated il try to convince him 2 do it then.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
efgiar
rofl copter

dont forget it could be many other things. check if it is got the usual temp after 10 minutes of driving if its colder then yes your thermostat but if its not then you have a problem somewere else

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
-=FoRdEseries=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
dont forget it could be many other things. check if it is got the usual temp after 10 minutes of driving if its colder then yes your thermostat but if its not then you have a problem somewere else
Yeah it was never drivin for about 10 months before he got it, n the temp gauge hasnt gone past a quarter for basically most of its life. even after about an hour or so of driving around town it usually sits just below the normal operating temp.. he says he will put it in and go for a 10-20 min drive and if it starts to get to hot we'l just take it out n get a diagnostic done on it.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #15
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

mine did the same thing, even with a new thermostat, it would go as far as the O on normal, and get about 380-400k's, i thought this was normal...
Funny thing is, my EB XR8 had the same sort of fuel consumption, 400 on premo was a good week...

***edit***w00t! 800 posts!**

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
-=FoRdEseries=-

Yeah.. oh well il say how it all went, going down to the shops to get one later today. Yours is a v8 though lol, his is only an I6 and gets the same k's. Hes abit strapped 4 cash atm, hes savin to get 17" series 3 AU Tickford wheels with the el offset and lower the back. wants to have m on by 2 weeks. il try n post a pik up when its done. here is what it looks like atm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip_image002.jpg (22.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #17
XRated
Shoot.

Where's the temp sensor located? Are they expensive? Hard to replace?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #18
-=FoRdEseries=-

Well so i have gathered, they sit just behind the air intake snorkel, their is decription and photo are on this thread ( http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=thermostat+au ) they cost between $13 and $20 and are very easy to replace..
Old 04-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #19
XRated
Shoot.

That's the thermostat, not the temp sensor.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #20
-=FoRdEseries=-

Soz my bad. Not sure where that is..