Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
70Cougar4v
Starter Motor

Default Ford racing Z460

Hi All,
Is anyone running the Ford Racing Z460? Thinking of going this way but I can’t find much feedback on their track results. Are they any good?
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

Default Re: Ford racing Z460

lots of cubes, but could do with a set of TFS highports like the 225cc or 240cc sized CNCed ones and a custom cam plus some more compression,
barnz_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #3
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Cougar4v View Post
Hi All,
Is anyone running the Ford Racing Z460? Thinking of going this way but I can’t find much feedback on their track results. Are they any good?
No, haven't run it. Not much into crate motors, but they have their place.

It might be perfect for your needs.

It has some good basic hard parts in an under stressed mild build that will make good tractable power.

One thing I would have done differently on the bottom end would be good I beam rods in the slow winding high torque application. That said, those H beams will work well in that under stressed combination.

I see it was tested with a Super Victor intake. I tend to think in that mild configuration a cleaned up Air Gap would be a good. Might be worth a little research.

Let me ask, what is the overall goal?
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
70Cougar4v
Starter Motor

Thanks guys, when looking at this combo with low compression and low on the RPM scale I was thinking it seemed a bit soft, the question is this due to the block being maxed out because of the cubes? I’m looking for a good strip engine that is still drivable. 600hp at the tyres would be nice with a heap of TQ. The price on these seems good and being a bit soft I thought would be good for reliability. 150 shot of NOS and I’d be close to target. I’d appreciate some build combination ideas for around the 20k mark.
Old 26-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
xw302gs

Interesting. I’ve been considering the same motor for my ‘77 F100 to replace the tired Cleveland. I figured all that torque would be useful and as everything is new, it might be better than machining my aging block, assuming it can be reused.
xw302gs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
70Cougar4v
Starter Motor

Nice match for the F100 👍
Old 27-11-2018, 02:04 AM   #7
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Thanks guys, when looking at this combo with low compression and low on the RPM scale I was thinking it seemed a bit soft, the question is this due to the block being maxed out because of the cubes? I’m looking for a good strip engine that is still drivable. 600hp at the tyres would be nice with a heap of TQ. The price on these seems good and being a bit soft I thought would be good for reliability. 150 shot of NOS and I’d be close to target. I’d appreciate some build combination ideas for around the 20k mark.
I think that crate motor is pretty much a good match for what you are looking for.

I wouldn't go a pony over 150 shot with that block though.

According to Ford the block is designed for a minimum cylinder thickness of .180" my old limit was .170" for 700hp in these kind of blocks. Of course, where that thin spot is makes a lot of difference. Is it at 3:00 and/or 9:00? or also 12:00 and 6:00? Side to side, no big deal. Thrust side, don't go over that 150 shot.

In all honesty we took this approach with a Top Sportsman car. We got 3 of the original 600cid Ford crate motors and threw away the rods, pistons, dampers, cams timing set,. Did a little work on the old original A460 heads and bingo had 3 rotating motors. 1 in the car, 1 spare in the hauler and one getting a freshen up. Qualified every time and was usually in the top 4.

Based on what your expectations are, I am going to recommend using what you found.

I could work something up for you, but it will take longer to get and you will have to track more details on your end.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Ford crate motors aren't set up well to make power. They put small heads and cams in them, and run fairly low compression in most of them. Put some decent heads and cam in it with smaller chambers to up compression and it would make a heap more power and torque.

I'd assume it's probably to make them reliable and keep the cost down, while providing a fairly smooth idle and reasonable fuel economy, while being able to run on lower quality fuels.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post