Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #31
antony101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Couldn't care less if the renault had four million horsepower. Comparing that 17 year old p plate girls hatch to a Porsche Cayman makes you deserving of a serious flogging.

offence taken here.

You clueless dork.

Firstly i have never seen a 17 yo driving a megane sport!

there is a greater likelihood of the 17 year old in the cayman - i.e. the passenger seat because the driver is going through a mid life crises and picking up girls from the school yard.

Or maybe, just maybe, it is the driver of a pursuit ute in red with leaf suspension, pfft. Can you, personally, get that car to 100 in less than 6.5. Ill race you in a megane any day.

Thankyou.
Old 30-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #32
antony101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Yeah, because the DSG GTI can do it in 6.0 to the manual's 6.7, a massive 7 tenth shaving... the DSG for some reason can't shave 4 tenths off the 5.9s already acheived in manual R32's, by prominant American publications AND private owners as I have already posted proof of. What part of 8 millisecond (0.008 second) gearshifts + launch control is difficult to comprehend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av5AK...eature=related

The title of that one says it for me. 32s when the speedo starts moving, 37s when it hits 60 mph...

You want my opinions on those cars?

EVO - Fast but rubbish. Great if you want to only go to the track though.

R35 GT-R V-Spec - Not out yet, but will be a moving computer like the normal GT-R. With pumped up press cars putting 70awhp+ extra down then the customer spec models, and manufacutrer BS about times, I can only laugh about the thing. Plus Keiichi Tsuchiya on Best Motoring drove it with all the computers off and said it was a wallowy, understeery boat. So its basically a CPU that you sit in and get carted around in. Whole lot of fun that isn't.

VVTL-i isn't a car, its an engine technology. And I've experienced Toyota's most prominent VVTL-i engine, the 2ZZ-GE, and its crap (the engine). Absolutley no power at all whatsoever below 6000rpm, and then mediocre at best. Sounds like its going to blow anything into the weeds, until you look at the speedo (2ZZ Celica and Corolla Sportivo).

NSX - Overrated, slow, very thirsty, sold poorly because of it, overpriced, beaten by everything in its class bar the Ferrari F348tb it set out to beat - which they rectified in 1993 with the F348 GTB. By 2002 it was a joke... a HSV GTS could outdrag one and an EVO or STi of the year would hand it its butt on any circuit.

Happy? Obviously my in-jest comment before was too much for you to handle...

compare equals with equals please.

how much is the dsg to spec in GTI young steffo?? paleeezzzeee

manual f1 megane 6.2-6.5 manual golf gti 6.5-6.8 (evo, magazine, car magazine and top gear)

evo's best hatch - megane f1!
Old 30-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #33
NEMO
Starter Motor

I wouldn't go with the american or british times for these cars - they're always quicker. I think an HSV overseas can actually do 4.98s to 100! The R32 is lucky to be a 6.5s car to 100.

One small detail that's been omitted - the Megane has an LSD.
Old 30-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #34
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony101
Or maybe, just maybe, it is the driver of a pursuit ute in red with leaf suspension, pfft. Can you, personally, get that car to 100 in less than 6.5. Ill race you in a megane any day.

Thankyou.
It's an F6 actually. But yes that, or the RX8 or the Pacer, or the Fireblade or the dirtbike I'll glady take on any pink hatchback :-)
Old 30-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #35
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Talking

It would be too easy in the old Valiant :-)
Old 30-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #36
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

why the hell does this thread even exist? BUY AN E SERIES!!!
(well theres my pointless/useless contribution for today)

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
Old 30-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #37
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigosmoddedEF
why the hell does this thread even exist? BUY AN E SERIES!!!
(well theres my pointless/useless contribution for today)

I'd rather have an E series than a Megane :

They make a AU Falcon look pretty
Old 30-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #38
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that thing looks awesome, i dont care what anyone else says. Thats pure eurosex
Old 30-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
compare equals with equals please.

how much is the dsg to spec in GTI young steffo?? paleeezzzeee

manual f1 megane 6.2-6.5 manual golf gti 6.5-6.8 (evo, magazine, car magazine and top gear)

evo's best hatch - megane f1!
How much is the what now?

The GTI DSG 3-door is $39,990
The GTI DSG 5-door is $42,990

It costs less then the R26 it out accelerates.

Oh and LMFAO LOL LMFAO @ mcnews...

Here's a funny statistic for you, since its on the same track... by the same people (MOTOR)...

Winton Motor Raceway

RenaultSport Megane 230 R26 F1 Team - 1:43.09
FPV F6 Typhoon - 1:43.32

Call me crazy... but isn't the "girly hot hatch," in front, by three tenths of a second, which is nothing to sneeze at? :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 30-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #40
mcnews
Trev

It could be three seconds quicker but it would still be a girly hot hatch :-)
Old 30-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #41
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO
I wouldn't go with the american or british times for these cars - they're always quicker. I think an HSV overseas can actually do 4.98s to 100! The R32 is lucky to be a 6.5s car to 100.

One small detail that's been omitted - the Megane has an LSD.
So Australian drivers can't drive as quickly as Americans and Brits? Okay mate.

They use different testing methodology in their magazines and actually allow for the drag strip 1' rollout that our mags don't - making their times more realistic because people in life have the 1' rollout because they test & have fun, AT THE STRIP.

R32 is lucky to by 6.5s 0-100? @ you.

:
Old 30-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #42
antony101

ok at rodp, you commented on the interior - check this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4t_8ZhrgIk

check out the bucket seats - thats what they are meant to come with but AUS regs do not allow them.

all - please listen to the engine and turbo whistle - brilliant.

another vid - this one shows a megane dismantling a golf gti on a racetrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa2I2...eature=related

Dont forget the megane in the above vid was the chase car thus the VW had the headstart!

In addition since i was fact finding the new r26-r will do 0-100 in under six seconds! http://mobile.topspeed.com/cars/car-...r-ar57704.html

Also at steffo, wheels times for the golf models:

gti manual 3 dr - 7.3
gti dsg 3 dr - 6.9
4 dr were slower

r32 5 dr dsg 6.2 price 58790!

Also what i was trying to point out is the dsg is 2500 more expensive than the manual, the manual is the base car so theoritically you are spec'ing it!

Now beautiful renault

the same magazine got the
225 cup (not f1 thus no lsd) to 100 in 6.5.

They did not publish the f1 times.

I therefore have to conclude that stating the golf gti out accelerates a megane f1 is ludicrous, borderlining on
inflammatory and almost definitely making you look mentally challenged.. sorry...

Also at steffo, my times are magazine times, if you wish me to quote my own time i can (what the hell, 6.1, 225 2dr, qld, i weigh 76 kg, 1/4 tank of fuel) however, as when you posted your youtube times they are pointless as unverifable. Keeping to mag times keeps it on a level palying field.

Also dont get me started on mods, a quick remap on the megane will send you to the moon!

Last edited by antony101; 30-05-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 30-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #43
Rainer
Starter Motor

I think the Megane is a very underestimated car.
Old 30-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #44
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Renault seem to be the only guys that “get” what I’d want if I was buying a hot hatch again. And at least they bring out some of their limited editions out to Oz.

Admittedly I am a very narrow demographic where lap times and capability means far more to me than quality, refinement and day to day livability.

Even though the Megane is heavy RS seem to have tweaked it the right way (and fitted an LSD) to minimize the deficiencies.

Aussie market cars on Aussie track (Winton) the R32’s never seemed to live up to their promise. The R32’s laptimes of 1:44.04 (PCOTY 2006) and 1:47.22 (old model PCOTY 2003?) are pretty embarrassing for a performance car costing $60k.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 30-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #45
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

I'm more of a 94 ef man myself.
Old 30-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #46
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the recent Motor magazine 3 way comparison, the R32 posted some very ordinary acceleration times both when it came to standing start and in gear. The DSG would be slightly faster from a standing start but it can't make up for mediocre top speed (1/4 mile) and in gear perfomance. The Megane is at least as fast from a standing start and much faster in gear. Despite my general disdain for French cars, I quite like this Megane.
Old 30-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #47
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltastic
And btw, a friggen Golf R32 DSG will NOT do 0-100 in 5.5s ffs, lol. But you keep telling yerself it will champ.
I think it'll do it between 5.5 and 6 secs, 5.5 doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Plenty of videos on youtube showing mid 5 sec 0-100's. The one thing that hurts the 100 time is the gear change at about 95.
Old 30-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #48
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO
The R32 is lucky to be a 6.5s car to 100.
Mine cracks 6 seconds no problem, let alone 6.5.
Old 30-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #49
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I think it'll do it between 5.5 and 6 secs, 5.5 doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Plenty of videos on youtube showing mid 5 sec 0-100's. The one thing that hurts the 100 time is the gear change at about 95.
I wouldn't take youtube videos to be the ultimate truth. The 0-100 test could have been conducted down hill for all we know. The car could have been modded or weight reduced despite the owner claiming it is stock.
Old 30-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #50
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mine cracks 6 seconds no problem, let alone 6.5.
What does it do at the drag strip?
Old 30-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #51
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

check out the bucket seats - thats what they are meant to come with but AUS regs do not allow them.
Oh, you mean the Recaro's that you can get in an R32?
Old 30-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #52
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
What does it do at the drag strip?
No idea, and I'll probably sell it before I have any idea as I have no intention of taking it to a drag strip.
Old 30-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #53
antony101

Quote:
Oh, you mean the Recaro's that you can get in an R32?
how could they be the same, it is a compliance issue. Maybe similar but not the same.
Old 30-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #54
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Dont forget the megane in the above vid was the chase car thus the VW had the headstart!

In addition since i was fact finding the new r26-r will do 0-100 in under six seconds! http://mobile.topspeed.com/cars/car-...r-ar57704.html

gti manual 3 dr - 7.3
gti dsg 3 dr - 6.9
4 dr were slower

Also what i was trying to point out is the dsg is 2500 more expensive than the manual, the manual is the base car so theoritically you are spec'ing it!

Now beautiful renault

I therefore have to conclude that stating the golf gti out accelerates a megane f1 is ludicrous, borderlining on
inflammatory and almost definitely making you look mentally challenged.. sorry...

Also at steffo, my times are magazine times, if you wish me to quote my own time i can (what the hell, 6.1, 225 2dr, qld, i weigh 76 kg, 1/4 tank of fuel) however, as when you posted your youtube times they are pointless as unverifable. Keeping to mag times keeps it on a level palying field.

Also dont get me started on mods, a quick remap on the megane will send you to the moon!
OMG that's all we need another Steffo type magazine expert sleep:
Old 31-05-2008, 02:54 AM   #55
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:

gti manual 3 dr - 7.3
gti dsg 3 dr - 6.9
4 dr were slower

Now beautiful renault

The Wheels GTI DSG times are VW's claim.

Why are you using Wheels as your example. As far as acceleration test magazines, they're pretty poor.

How about some real life? I've driven a Golf GTI DSG, repetiadley, as I have a Megane 225 (one owned by a friend of my old man, the other owned by one of my friends, recommended by me, to replace a POS GC8 WRX). The DSG GTI is faster in a straight line. What is hard to understand about that? That gearbox shaves over half a second from its 100km/h time. Left to its own in "S," mode, it shifts gears faster then you can tap a shift paddle with your finger. Its uncomparable to a manual transmission - any car you fit one to, the acceleration times will tumble drastically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8AoO71fO0Y Look at that, GTI DSG beating a Megane 225!

Take a look at this, by Best Motoring...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMNRQ1GJ3o

The GTI DSG hammers the Megane 225. At the end when they show the list of quarter mile times Keiichi Tsuchiya got himself, it whallops the 225 by 3 tenths and only loses to the Jap Integra Type R which has more power then the export model and weighs in at 1180kg (lightest car there by miles). Best Motoring is quite the level playing field and that test right there proves my point in entirety.

From a standing start race, the GTI DSG stomps the 225 and R26 into the ground, with ease. From a rolling start, the RSM's win, 165kW vs 147kW showing through, though they don't win by the margain you'd think, because again, every time they shift gears, the DSG hauls them in quite a bit.

The R32 manual is faster then both of them are (5.9 to 100, 14.2 1/4 by Motortrend for the Manual IV R32 with 10hp less power, plus various 13.7s and 13.8s by private owners) let alone the DSG.

By the way, the 6.5 0-100 for the 225 is also claimed. Renault claims 0-100 in 6.5 and 1/4 in 14.6. Actual Wheels testing has it at 6.7 to 100 and 14.7 1/4. Read the fine print. The 6.2 to 100 they list for the R32 is a VW claim, they don't have their own time. Same with the 6.9 for the GTI DSG. Their only tested time in the GTI is the 7.3/15.2 they got in the manual, quite a long time ago.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=459bb03276e82

They're also quite evenly matched on the track too, the 225 and GTI... take a look...

Obviously you're a bit of a Renault fanboy. I like both brands equally, I own a RenaultSport Clio, remember... but you're talking up the 225 to be more then it really is and downplaying the GTI and R32 for some reason.

Renault does not sell, nor did it ever sell, an equal for the Golf R32, in this country. The R26 F1 and Golf R32 are not intended as competitors. The R26 doesn't really have competitors here; nobody else has a track-pack version of a small-mid size hot-hatch on sale.

:
Old 31-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #56
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
how could they be the same, it is a compliance issue. Maybe similar but not the same.
Sounds like a BS issue to me. You can fit recaros as an option to an R32 that are clad in leather. Who cares if they're similar, if it's that much of a drama for them they could have just fit the same recaro's that the R32 uses.
Old 31-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #57
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
See there's the first problem, Japanese "engieering," and excellent should never be used in the same sentance together.
Your a fool, the japanese are catching up very fast to the Euros, japan has got excellent engieering. Oh but you also thought jap cars with 5 star safety ratings were unsafe :

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 31-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #58
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Your a fool, the japanese are catching up very fast to the Euros, japan has got excellent engieering. Oh but you also thought jap cars with 5 star safety ratings were unsafe :
If you're going to call me a fool... spell you're properly first. :

:
Old 31-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #59
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Left to its own in "S," mode, it shifts gears faster then you can tap a shift paddle with your finger.
Correction: It should be "faster than".

You are hardly in a position to nitpick other people's grammatical mistakes.
Old 31-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #60
steamin63
old skool

it might be quick but it still looks like it's been sodomized by an F truck.