Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #91
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: EL GT - To be or not to be a big $ collectible?

An EB XR8 with factory 351... sometimes it just hurts to think of what could have been.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #92
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Love Cobalt Blue!

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2019, 11:47 PM   #93
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Did 'abuse' include random gear limiter dumps, flat changes and johnny rollbacks ?

200kw probably saved it
No comment y'honor...... but rollbacks? Geez..... never needed to get that rough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
A cobalt blue ed xr8 sprint in manual would have to be as good a bet as any. That's what I would get if I could afford it.
Exactly what I had.....
Old 21-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #94
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
An EB XR8 with factory 351... sometimes it just hurts to think of what could have been.
Yup

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #95
CobraJet351

I’m pretty sure the 351 was to be reserved for the GT. It’s in my EL GT book I have somewhere which was sent to me by ford.
CobraJet351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #96
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Wheels special EL GT issue states they did look at using the 351 for the EL GT before rejecting the idea. Can't remember wether they stated a reason for that or not. I'd have to go back and look at it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #97
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Saw a cobalt blue ed xr6 at u pull it today and it made me think of this thread... Another one bites the dust.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #98
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The Wheels special EL GT issue states they did look at using the 351 for the EL GT before rejecting the idea. Can't remember wether they stated a reason for that or not. I'd have to go back and look at it.

Basically.......it didnt fit

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...lcon-gt-review

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #99
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where there is a will there is a way,they fitted that heavy lump into the ba
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #100
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
where there is a will there is a way,they fitted that heavy lump into the ba
EXACTLY!! We'd be all building AU's with 408W strokers if it wasn't for ford's unwillingness to give the EB-AU a raised bonnet.

A factory engine number may one day migrate its way onto a speared tall boy lol!! The cowl will be the only giveaway
xeeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 01:53 AM   #101
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I actually liked the looks, but they didn't have the grunt.
Get one if you WANT one. I would liks one in the garage, but hey... there's plenty of cars I'd love in the garage BEFORE an EL GT - especially at those prices! They will never be destined for the big bucks, they're simply not special enough. Nice enough cars, though.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 02:05 AM   #102
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I don't buy the "it didn't fit" line. I reckon that's BS. The business case may not have stacked up to make it fit, but a 351W can be installed in an E-series with minimal effort.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:59 AM   #103
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
Looking at Carsales, there are less than 10 of the EL GT for sale.
Prices vary from 29k to 65k for cars that are on the road, and up to a whopping 100k for one that has not been on the road.

Perhaps if you purchase one for under 35k, its value will for sure be heading up over time. If you purchase one for 65k that price is already inflated, and far less chance of going up significantly any time soon.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #104
Venomous1
5.0 means business

A very unique looking falcon love them!

4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #105
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

To the OP this was your first sentence :

"I'm looking around at a potential purchase of a weekender at the moment.. and one car that I'm looking at a little is the EL GT."

Then asking of potential future $$$$$$'s.

IMO unless you or anyone is very cashed up and have a stable of cars you can afford waiting on possible investment returns in the future But if its your only weekender and on a budget so to speak you just buy what You like/love to have full stop and enjoy it.
Any possible Investment ahead the very low K specimens are the ones that are likely returning on your investment whereas those with higher K's never get near the money to low k ones.
So it comes down to where you are in the chain imo.
Do you buy a very low k one and hardly use it ?
Myself for eg having 2 toy weekenders, I can't leave them on blocks so to speak, even though I haven't driven my T3 for near on a year its needs to be driven, the Sprint I had intentions keeping it to very low k's being the last but I just can't - they are too much fun/pleasure to leave unused and besides I have no care what they might be worth one day.
You only live once, get what you wish for and just enjoy the ownership now and not bother what it might be worth one day.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #106
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I agree with what you're saying.

I guess it was more about trying to be greedy and picking a car that can both service as a weekend toy and also have a bonus of value increasing over time.

At this rate, I'm likely going to go with an EF/EL XR8 or Fairmont and tidy up/modify it. I'd feel wrong modifying an EL GT and even then am struggling to justify grabbing one of the cheaper ones for the sake of it etc - condition probably not great and I'd rather improve a car than fix it, if that makes sense.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #107
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
There was an EF-EL at summernats with a 351 clevo, fitted it well and had room to change the spark plugs, strut towers looked stock too.
There is an EA with a miami getting around on fb too
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #108
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
I agree with what you're saying.

I guess it was more about trying to be greedy and picking a car that can both service as a weekend toy and also have a bonus of value increasing over time.

At this rate, I'm likely going to go with an EF/EL XR8 or Fairmont and tidy up/modify it. I'd feel wrong modifying an EL GT and even then am struggling to justify grabbing one of the cheaper ones for the sake of it etc - condition probably not great and I'd rather improve a car than fix it, if that makes sense.
I hear you mate, hard to have both depending on financials.
So by your post just get the Falcon 8 thats ticks your box's for enjoy the improvements right call imo.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #109
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As much as I like the EL GT I can't really see it ever being worth a lot of money. 200kw is sort of crap these days, with the big power turbo 6's and Miami's that came later on making it look paltry. And it will never have the collectability of an XR-XB GT.
The thing is nobody thought X series GT's would be collectible either. Old mate neighbour had an XB GT sitting on his front lawn with a sign in the windscreen saying "$3,000 or offer" for 2 years back in 1994. He just couldn't sell it.

I certainly didn't want it, why would I .... I had a near new EB Fairmont
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 22-02-2019 at 12:47 PM.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #110
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As much as I like the EL GT I can't really see it ever being worth a lot of money. 200kw is sort of crap these days, with the big power turbo 6's and Miami's that came later on making it look paltry. And it will never have the collectability of an XR-XB GT.
Power really has no relevance to value.

All the people saying that they will never be worth anything, well you may be right you may be wrong.

I remember the days when XC Cobra's were worth nothing, John Goss Socials have no power, and no one wanted them, they were a laughing stock type car in the 80's and 90's.

History does repeat itself, all the x series cars now worth a fortune were worth nothing back in the day, I remember my mate buying a very nice XB GS Manual for $600 with three months rego in 1985, the car was mint and was used as a paddock basher once rego ran out

No one thought an XA XB etc would be worth anything in the future, I bought an XA Coupe as a parts car for $300 in the 90's, once stripped for the parts I needed I cut it up and dumped it at the tip.

MY old XB GT Daily driver was a depreciable asset back in the early 90's worth peanuts.

I still have a 351 XB GS Fairmont with 9", GT options suspension 4 wheel disk brakes tramp rods etc all GT options (Bonnet, grill, dash, etc) as well as complete wind back sun roof sitting in the shed, coast me $1200 almost rust free, the 9" is now worth more than that, what about the roof?? Seen them sell for 4K these days

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #111
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

History does repeat itself. I remember picking up an immaculate EB xr6 for $1800 with a year's rego about 8 years ago... Good luck doing that now.

I wrecked that car but damn, it was fast for what it was.
Old 22-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #112
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
History does repeat itself. I remember picking up an immaculate EB xr6 for $1800 with a year's rego about 8 years ago... Good luck doing that now.

I wrecked that car but damn, it was fast for what it was.
The E series XR6's were when an XR6 was an XR6 and not just a base model lowered slightly with a different body kit.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 22-02-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 22-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #113
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
I don't buy the "it didn't fit" line. I reckon that's BS. The business case may not have stacked up to make it fit, but a 351W can be installed in an E-series with minimal effort.
Ford have internal standards for stuff like bonnet clearance etc. Being an inch taller than the 5.0 would basically breach that. As it is the TPS on mine basically touched the bonnet lining with the Explorer manifold on it, with a 1/2 inch phenolic spacer. No way would an inch higher 351 pass clearance regs.

It might be fine for average joe fitting one as it would probably just clear by a couple of mm. That wouldn't be enough for Ford though. The bonnet would need to be made higher. And I can imagine making a new bonnet pressing for 250 cars would have been way too high for $ per unit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #114
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=XB GS 351 Coupe;6260489]Power really has no relevance to value.

I would really love to find a pristine Ford Cortina Mk 11 GT 1600 with close ratio 4 speed box.

No power compared to todays car, but would be nostalgic having my first car again with the beaut dials and really visceral real life driving feel....

Would actually spend some $$$ on it too -but not sure how I would get it past the handbrake who wants new kitchen/bathrooms etc....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #115
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=asagaai;6260582]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Power really has no relevance to value.

I would really love to find a pristine Ford Cortina Mk 11 GT 1600 with close ratio 4 speed box.

No power compared to todays car, but would be nostalgic having my first car again with the beaut dials and really visceral real life driving feel....

Would actually spend some $$$ on it too -but not sure how I would get it past the handbrake who wants new kitchen/bathrooms etc....

I was wanting to do the same for my first car a MK3 Cortina 2000GT. Less than 100kw in power but rare as hens teeth now

Old 22-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #116
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
The E series XR6's were when an XR6 was an XR6 and not just a base model lowered slightly with a different body kit.
True. It was a very nice car to drive, super comfortable with the full mono interior. Great driving position and the mono steering wheel adds a special feeling to it.

The driving position alone made the car feel a lot sportier than a b series car. It was also light as.
Old 22-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #117
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I meant to write momo but my phone auto-corrected. lol
Old 22-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #118
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
The thing is nobody thought X series GT's would be collectible either. Old mate neighbour had an XB GT sitting on his front lawn with a sign in the windscreen saying "$3,000 or offer" for 2 years back in 1994. He just couldn't sell it.

I certainly didn't want it, why would I .... I had a near new EB Fairmont
20yo rusty buckets of sh in 94
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #119
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I know of of an xb GS that is slowly rusting in a bloke's front yard because he won't restore it but claims it is worth a boat load. Its sitting in long grass so the rust must be bad lol
Old 23-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #120
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Ford have internal standards for stuff like bonnet clearance etc. Being an inch taller than the 5.0 would basically breach that. As it is the TPS on mine basically touched the bonnet lining with the Explorer manifold on it, with a 1/2 inch phenolic spacer. No way would an inch higher 351 pass clearance regs.

It might be fine for average joe fitting one as it would probably just clear by a couple of mm. That wouldn't be enough for Ford though. The bonnet would need to be made higher. And I can imagine making a new bonnet pressing for 250 cars would have been way too high for $ per unit.
So all they needed to do was fit a bonnet bulge? A unique bonnet would have topped off an already great looking package. I think they sold for something like $70k back in '97? That's pretty big bucks. With a 351 fitted, Ford could have just about named their price.

If a bunch of cashed up bogans were prepared to pay $10k on top of an already $75k blueprinted banana GTS-R, then Ford could have sold an EL GT 351 for $90k+. This was supposed to be a hero model after all.