Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #31
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should I trade in my FPV BA mk2 GT or keep it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
Yep they got dented and scratched...just fix me up.
Brambles Red or Pepper with winged sump you rolled for a little?? oddball throw in Higgs RPO, and as far as i know Roly still owns his Coupe

throw in Georges orange XC Coupe

work cars

ffs
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #32
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Trust me you won't take any car you like to kids soccer...

Can just imagine parking a 150k xy gt next to some soccer mom unloading her 9 year old and his 3 mates.

Or leave an XA Gt parked in the carpark at the local lollipops playland for a birthday.

You might have kids one day and come back down to earth....no offence intended either.

My wife drives her old school GT all over the place and usually with our dog in the back seat too. She parks it at our local shops, takes it to the strawberry farms etc and on the road often gets the thumbs up from other chicks driving. At the end of the day you either choose to use them or you don't.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #33
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I'd be keeping the GT.
But then I get attached to my cars, and can't stand parting with them.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #34
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitelsx2000 View Post
Keep the GT, I to put a tow bar on my GTE
This. Tow bar fitted is around $1k. Trailer for around $2k, makes it a $3k outlay, and you still have a 100% GT.....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #35
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:

Can just imagine parking a 150k xy gt next to some soccer mom unloading her 9 year old and his 3 mates.

Or leave an XA Gt parked in the carpark at the local lollipops playland for a birthday.

You might have kids one day and come back down to earth....no offence intended either.
I drive my XY GT more than my FG- it sits in car parks and at the pub. The amount of people that take a second look when they see it there....

I do have faith in people. I'd like to think they'd take car no matter what car was parked next to them- my experience has been much the same. Mind you, I don't frequent the shops etc like my wife does... I've never had an issue with my cars. My wife's car is another matter, that's got a lot more car park scars...

I'm very philosophical about the time we get to enjoy the things we work for. My idea of enjoying any kind of GT is behind the wheel. The more time pedalling it and less time polishing it = more enjoyment of me.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #36
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
I drive my XY GT more than my FG- it sits in car parks and at the pub. The amount of people that take a second look when they see it there....

I do have faith in people. I'd like to think they'd take car no matter what car was parked next to them- my experience has been much the same. Mind you, I don't frequent the shops etc like my wife does... I've never had an issue with my cars. My wife's car is another matter, that's got a lot more car park scars...

I'm very philosophical about the time we get to enjoy the things we work for. My idea of enjoying any kind of GT is behind the wheel. The more time pedalling it and less time polishing it = more enjoyment of me.

Yep we spend all that money on them, we may as well enjoy em too............there plenty of pubs where you can park your GT or HO have a meal and a beer and keep an eye on the car from the beer garden so it's a no brainer really..............

Cheers Mick
3 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #37
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
Yep we spend all that money on them, we may as well enjoy em too............there plenty of pubs where you can park your GT or HO have a meal and a beer and keep an eye on the car from the beer garden so it's a no brainer really..............

Cheers Mick

I've said it before but it's like not rooting your missus so she's all good for the next bloke....
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 11:14 PM   #38
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
I've said it before but it's like not rooting your missus so she's all good for the next bloke....
That reminds me I need to go for another ride................Darling!

Cheers Mick
4 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #39
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Brambles Red or Pepper with winged sump you rolled for a little?? oddball throw in Higgs RPO, and as far as i know Roly still owns his Coupe

throw in Georges orange XC Coupe

work cars

ffs
Yep Had a few pepper reds and yeah the odd ball brambles for a while, also the Apollo Xb...Higgs rpo was the best of em.. at least you had the smarts to keep hold of your two
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2016, 05:02 AM   #40
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

I am down to earth. I'd rather enjoy a car then leave it parked up. You seem to have too many gt's to drive so send one my way. That is a problem if love to have.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #41
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

errrrr
so the only reason seems to be to cart bicycles around?
how about getting a bike rack on the *** for when you want to drive somewhere and go for a ride????
then take it off when you arent going for a ride
i bought an old ute for ute purposes, then decided its not worth the rego and just hook the trailer up to the g6et in about 4mins

seems odd to trade a gt (even if its a ba, sorry guys!) for a new non turbo ute to cart ******* bicyles around
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #42
mitelsx2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep the GT

Previous rides: 2011 FPV GTE colour Edge 6-speed Auto, Build #019
BMC Twin air filter, street fighter oil breathers, Window tints & paint protection. CTB Tuned 364 rwKW
XR8 Black Lux pack 2004
Fiesta trend 2017
mitelsx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #43
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Keep the GT. Like most people who sell them, you'll only end up regretting it later on.
Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #44
900dukess

Thanks for everybody input

I have another option

Keep the GT
and use the money it would cost to buy a new ute and grab a BF XR8 ute or XR6 turbo ute as there seems lots around for sale (I do like the B series front end compared to FG).
Best of both worlds maybe?????
900dukess is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #45
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yer mate sounds like a good plan, I wreckon to mix things up try to land a bf turbo so you won't be too bored with v8s only haha, I like variety and one of each is how i'd love to play it. Besides I see plenty of bf turbo utes up for sale and its a good grab as they are a low price.

Also the only reason I would sell the GT is if you have had previous problems in the past and or currently do that are a pain in the *** and you can't be bothered having to deal with them anymore, whether its rust or other b series related problems that won't go away and will keep costing $$$ to repair then i'd say sell it and get a newer fgx which you never know may also have potential problems. But i'm in favour of your suggestion and adding a brother to current GT would be a pretty good idea
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #46
900dukess

Yes maybe a option to grab another ute.
There is a BF series 2 auto turbo ute (magnet option if that means anything) for sale locally.
Same colour as my GT and has similar stripes fitted, well same colour as my GT.
So they would be a similar pair
Old 27-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #47
OCTANEBOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900dukess View Post
Keep the GT
and use the money it would cost to buy a new ute and grab a BF XR8 ute or XR6 turbo ute as there seems lots around for sale (I do like the B series front end compared to FG).
Best of both worlds maybe?????
Keep IT. a long time between GTs in Australia/
You will also need some cash for a bigger shed too ....good cars dont deserve to be left in weather even if you dont drive them weekly.
biggest regret, no keeping the cars I owned and liked since I could legally drive, bigger regret not buying some of the great cars Ive seen and been in at mates rates.
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #48
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it. The front of an FGX suck.
Unless you're trading on an FPV ute I'd stick with the GT

2001 Congo Green AU 111 XR8 sedan, manual option 2G body kit but now wears the Rebel kit

1997 EL GT Sparkling Burgundy, sunroof, auto.

Our former Tickford cars:

1997 XH11 XR8
1998 AU XR8 manual sedan
1999 AU XR8 manual ute
2002 AU XR8 auto sedan, sunroof
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #49
blakef6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE View Post
Keep it. The front of an FGX suck.
Unless you're trading on an FPV ute I'd stick with the GT
Agree, its the ugliest thing i have seen :/
blakef6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #50
mick74GT

That's an excellent trade in price!

You barely drive it. You already have your cruise cars. Honestly Just sell it as that's a great trade in price
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #51
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the boost ute option.
More torque & pulls from lower down.
Build another garage to park the FPV with the extra coin.
Can even have kids parties in there as required.
Garage not the car.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #52
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand the concept of "weekend cars", why not just have one really nice car you like and drive it everywhere.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #53
BA Supa Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
I don't understand the concept of "weekend cars", why not just have one really nice car you like and drive it everywhere.
Yeah like down to the local shopping centre car park to collect door dents........

The weekend car concept suits me. I have a older hilux to park wherever I want and can even grab a load of whatever in. My drive to work is about 3 to 4kms, not great for performance cars.

Unwrap the weekend car from its car cover, and the less you drive it the more special it feels IMO.

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #54
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Supa Pursuit View Post
Yeah like down to the local shopping centre car park to collect door dents........

The weekend car concept suits me. I have a older hilux to park wherever I want and can even grab a load of whatever in. My drive to work is about 3 to 4kms, not great for performance cars.

Unwrap the weekend car from its car cover, and the less you drive it the more special it feels IMO.
I was forced to drive my FGF6 into the cbd due to height parking restrictions of my van.
Parked it up on the top covered floor away from every other effer.
Thankfully no dents & since bought a Mitsi to use for said purpose.
I felt like I abused the car for such menial use with no real benefit.
I don't take the F6 for a spin to the Deli or like.
Over 6 yrs since new & only 55k on it.
Sure I spank it around Mallala but that's what it's for.
A well looked after FPV. No shed or show pony.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #55
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900dukess View Post
Yes maybe a option to grab another ute.
There is a BF series 2 auto turbo ute (magnet option if that means anything) for sale locally.
Same colour as my GT and has similar stripes fitted, well same colour as my GT.
So they would be a similar pair
Yer magnets just a name. If you can find something that drives right no clunks diff whine or milkshaked zf then go for it champ and post it up so we can all suss it.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #56
900dukess

Still undecided
Ford dealer gives me a call
They have offered me another $2k for my GT
And taken a further $500 off the price of a 2015 plated XR6 ute they have in stock (new not a demo and warranty would start from delivery date).

It is very tempting, but they need a decision by Friday (they must be close to making their monthly sales target or something).
Old 28-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #57
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a reason the price on the GT keeps going up...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #58
900dukess

Yer I was thinking that and I do really like my GT

It may sound silly but I looked at a few GT's until I found one at the right price that wasn't flooged to death and hadn't had over the top mods.

I especially do like how it has a Ford badge on the boot and the GT and how it has GT in the seats and not FPV like BF onwards.

Sometimes it's the funny little things like these that make all the difference.

Garage parking isn't a problem (I built a huge shed including a hoist about 2 years ago) much to the disgust of the misses!

I sort of wish they haven't offered me a really good trade price as it would have made my decision a lot easier.

I reckon I have bought and sold 40+ cars before and this is one of the hardest decisions yet.

Last edited by 900dukess; 28-01-2016 at 09:11 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #59
anto
Za Dom spremni

The fact tgat you're even entertaining the idea means the GT doesn't seem that special to you, not a bad thing as some people are just more pragmatic. Do whatever suits your needs mate.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #60
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wouldn't even straight swap my 03 BA GT with a brand new FG-X XR8. sure the XR8 would go harder and handle better and all that but in 10 years its still going to be an XR8 and my GT will still be a GT

i drive a dunger to work a 1991 Vitara soft top that owes me about $700 and goes anywhere i point it just not fast, the GT has got a whopping 6,000km in 2 years i have owned it.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: