Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #61
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The new Taurus will replace the Falcon, IF the Falcon goes. New Taurus is brilliant !!
Yes, I had forgotten about that speculation.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/273...d-in-2010-2011
Old 11-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #62
Katoomba

Just finished reading the latest issue of the NRMA's Open Road mag and noticed the Mondeo is not lsted in the new/used car price lists. I wonder if this is related to its overall sales numbers?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #63
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Whoever came up with the ads for our market needs to be shot.
Waste of a bullet, just send them to....The Vet !!!

Taiwan Ford ad not bad. But the Mazda6 ad from the same Youtube poster creates the magic for me. Interestingly, both vehicles have the similar equipment levels (sunroof, etc), so must be aimed at the same demographic.
p.s. can't understand a word, but the emotion says it all.

Dear Ford Marketing - Methinks some lessons to be learned from the opposition.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #64
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If you could blind fold people and get them to drive and buy the car before seeing a 6 im sure the Mondeo would sell allot better, ive got no doubt its an outstanding car in every way.. but when you look at it beside a 6... Well...
If Mazda ever make an auto diesel 6 they'll dominate the market...
They have one coming but it will be a year or 2 away yet. I too have to agree with you on this one 4Vman. In fact I have been driving our Mazda 6 diesel wagon for the past couple of weeks.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #65
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks are subjective... personally i don't like the look of the current mazda 6. the original was far more attractive...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #66
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
looks are subjective... personally i don't like the look of the current mazda 6. the original was far more attractive...
I agree.. Personally I think Madaz has the worst looking cars of anyone & how they are selling so well is beyond me.. That dumb **** smile they have put on the front of every car looks crap & spoils them completely..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #67
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
I drove a Falcon XR6 rental last weekend. A very nice car to drive and a brilliant drivetrain. But it doesn't ride or handle as well as my Mondeo, and with the driver's seat adjusted for a tall driver, there was very little legroom for a passenger in the back. The fuel consumption is impressive though for a big, heavy car - I averaged 9.7 l/100 km.
yeah the ford 4l is a lot more fuel efficent then people think, when i was getting the him module fixed the dealer gave me a modeo zetec, it averaged 12.6l /100kms over 1400kms in 7 days but my territory does 11.2
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #68
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The new Taurus will replace the Falcon, IF the Falcon goes. New Taurus is brilliant !!
No XR8 or GT if we got the Taurus, from memory they are 6 cyl only. Plus it would mean the end of the I6 (though its got to die at some time...). Honestly, as long as there is a high volume engine plant in Australia, I don't care who owns it or what engines its making.

Wouldn't the Ecoboost engine in the Taurus SHO be a step back from the I6 turbo? Plus its front/AWD, how would the AWD version compare to the falcon in terms of handling?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #69
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
......how would the AWD version compare to the falcon in terms of handling?
couldn't be any worse!!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #70
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
couldn't be any worse!!
Ha ha... Classic
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #71
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna
a modeo zetec, it averaged 12.6l /100kms over 1400kms in 7 days
geeze you must have had the boot into it??!! i drive my XR5 a little stupid (ie. not economically) sometimes and i have averaged 10.3 in 4000kms...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 13-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #72
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
geeze you must have had the boot into it??!! i drive my XR5 a little stupid (ie. not economically) sometimes and i have averaged 10.3 in 4000kms...
I did a trip in my XR5 to the Gold Coast and Back from Canberra and averaged 7.4, and I get 9.2 around town.

He flogged it for sure.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #73
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i got 7.3 on a trip from wollongong to canberra and that was going down the coast to batemans bay and then up the clyde thru braidwood and bungendore...

Old 13-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #74
warren77

Definitely giving it some stick.

X5 Turbo (stock at that stage):

8.1 Perth to Denmark with air con and quite a hilly drive and lots of over taking (read that as sticking the boot in)
7.2 Australind to Perth - no aircon, no over taking and flat drive. Stopped twice from driveway to driveway

Around town, I average about 9.8L/100 but my average speed is low 30s.

Although seeing I just got a bluefin tune, my fuel economy is closer to 12s than 10s! How can you resist flogging second gear?
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #75
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha i can't stop myself holding 2nd and 3rd longer than necessary either as with my new zhorst mods it sounds grouse!!

currently after 4200km i am averaging 10.3l/100km @ 50kph

thinking down the track after i install the CAI i might look into Bluefin Stage 1 (is that right?) i heard it makes the car run a lot better??

Old 14-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #76
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
haha i can't stop myself holding 2nd and 3rd longer than necessary either as with my new zhorst mods it sounds grouse!!

thinking down the track after i install the CAI i might look into Bluefin Stage 1 (is that right?) i heard it makes the car run a lot better??

Pete, When we fit your CAI you can take my Mondy for a wrap.

See what ya think...
Old 14-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #77
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Pete, When we fit your CAI you can take my Mondy for a wrap.

See what ya think...
I am glad you aren't in Perth - because if I took yours out for a drive, I would want to be spending money on mine!
Old 14-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #78
warren77

Quote:

And yes, I can highly recommend the Bluefin.
I don't have the zhorst or a CAI.
And it is a totally different car with the tune.
Old 15-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #79
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good to hear. in fact i've only heard positive things about bluefin. now i've changed work rosters i will have a little extra ca$h t squirrel away towards modding the mondy...

Old 15-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #80
xtgt1968
Starter Motor

Mondeo sales - my sister bought a new Mondeo in the 1990s. Good car etc. BUT spare parts expensive compared to a Falcon as was the initial purchase price. Things failed on the car at 20,000k, that would on a 1990s Falcon normally last till 150,000. The current model is as expensive as a Falcon, so why buy it? The latest Falcon is a world class car, that unfortunately Australians don't appreciate enough. If we loose Falcon manufacturing in Australia, then our only equivalents would be Mercs or BMWs, if we can afford one. I only wish the current Fairmont front design was not so similar to the Mondeo's. I belive this similarity is negatively effecting Fairmont sales, especially when both cars are in a dealer's yard side by side.

Allen
xtgt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #81
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtgt1968
Mondeo sales - my sister bought a new Mondeo in the 1990s. Good car etc. BUT spare parts expensive compared to a Falcon as was the initial purchase price.

Allen
That was the 90's the Mondeo is a totally different car now for the better

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #82
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtgt1968
Mondeo sales - my sister bought a new Mondeo in the 1990s. Good car etc. BUT spare parts expensive compared to a Falcon as was the initial purchase price. Things failed on the car at 20,000k, that would on a 1990s Falcon normally last till 150,000. The current model is as expensive as a Falcon, so why buy it? The latest Falcon is a world class car, that unfortunately Australians don't appreciate enough. If we loose Falcon manufacturing in Australia, then our only equivalents would be Mercs or BMWs, if we can afford one. I only wish the current Fairmont front design was not so similar to the Mondeo's. I belive this similarity is negatively effecting Fairmont sales, especially when both cars are in a dealer's yard side by side.

Allen
How can you judge the current model mondeo based on the a model from the past?

Its just a name, just because YOU think the old mondeo was garbage, why does the new one have to be crap just because of name sake? If it was called a falcon would you love it more?

It may be as expensive as a falcon, but for some is a nicer car. Just like some people think the falcon is a better car. Everyone has an opinion on which is better, neither is wrong. Each car caters for a slightly different customer.

What we do know however is that both vehicles are great, pick the one you like and be happy. Don't get upset that not everyone wants to drive a taxi cab, and if we all did buy falcons and support it what a boring world we would live in. No more different cars to perv at.

And as for the fairmont not selling because the front clip looks like a mondeo, that is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. It doesn't look anything alike IMO and I'd hazard a guess its not selling as well because of the other great options in the falcon range like the G6E turbo tec.

And for the record at my place we have 3 falcons (2 are v8, one I6), a XR5 mondeo, and a XR5 focus, plus some other non-ford cars. They are all great cars in their own right. Im not anti-falcon, far from it. I just realise a great car when I DRIVE one.
Old 15-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #83
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
The talk about a bad name is just crap!!! A few 1000 cars sold 2 decades ago has no bearing now. Get over this one people..

In my opinion, it does not sell because of a crap interior.. I considered an XR5T Mondeo in Dec09 vs a Falcon XR6T. I took one look through the window & saw that interior & it was off the list straight away. I did not want any more information about the car, it was out of the running straight away!!. People say the Commodore has a bad interior, but get me a Commodore interior over the current Mondeo any day.

Just my opinion!!
Remember the early Magna's & their dodgy auto transmission - it took them almost 10 years to recover their market image of reliability. Some people have long memories.......
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #84
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
In my opinion, it does not sell because of a crap interior.. I considered an XR5T Mondeo in Dec09 vs a Falcon XR6T. I took one look through the window & saw that interior & it was off the list straight away.
i missed this before... you canned the car because of this interior??

you are a hard judge!! i can't believe you don't rate it??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interior.jpg (145.8 KB, 71 views)

Old 15-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #85
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I did a trip in my XR5 to the Gold Coast and Back from Canberra and averaged 7.4, and I get 9.2 around town.

He flogged it for sure.
nar its driving on the monash i'd be lucky to go more than 50km/h. when i got the car the trip computer was reading around 20 so i reset it to be fair.

i can get the terri down to 8.9 if i leave early enough cause its basically turn left onto the monash set cruise go thru the tunnel and over the bridge and turn off 60kms later at the point cook exit.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #86
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

classic example of why the mondeo is not selling. Saturday's Illawarra Mercury ran a two page colour advert for the local dealer. depicted were:

Falcon XR6
Falcon XR6 Ute
Fiesta Zetec
Focus XR5
Falcon G6E
Territory Ghia AWD
Ranger4x4
FPV Pursuit Ute
FPV F6
FPV (not sure which varient?)

not a Mondeo to be seen. only one of their line-up not included in the ad...

Old 26-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #87
ian b

As I commented before, might as well be Falcon Australia as this seems to be the only model that they really push.

Maybe Melbourne executives are scared that buyers might work out that the euro design Mondeo is streets ahead of the locally designed Falcon, and that their jobs would be on the line if the mondeo sales got close to the falcon.
Old 28-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #88
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Ford Aus sell every Mondeo they can get their hands on. The problem is supply.... or lack of it!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #89
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Ford Aus sell every Mondeo they can get their hands on. The problem is supply.... or lack of it!
Pfft yeh thats why there are stilll 2008 and 2009 MA plate cars on the system, or about 50 laying around as registered demos..

Just because FORD aus sell every Mondeo they bring in doesnt mean the poor dealer does.. The dealer just has to hold it and pay floor plan costs on it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #90
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Geez an 08 plate car would have to be cheap now wouldn't it?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post