Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #121
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: New car for under $18k driveaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
So the Wife and i went looking for a new small car yesterday and our first stop was Ford in search of a new Fiesta, only problem was, theres only 1 left in stock in the country, a blue sport manual 1l ecoboost for $21k, more than we want to spend although the salesman is going to ring around today to see whats left hidden away.

I only travel 14km round trip to work twice a day so thats its main workload.

So our criterior is, must be new, driveaway and under or at $18k.

So far we've looked at the Kia Picanto GT Line in Black for $18k, the Holden Barina LS in Son of a Gun with free auto for $15k.

If you had $18k to spend on a city car for short trips, whats your pick?

Great Wall has a deal at the moment

https://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/s...e-cab-2019-q1/

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #122
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Great Wall has a deal at the moment

https://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/s...e-cab-2019-q1/
Hmm...yeah, nah.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #123
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

A great thread... For what it is worth Kia is my go to make at the moment also. Hyundais/Kia are doing great will be interesting to see their ute platform and sale numbers afterwards!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #124
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its another charge on Ford Australia Management.
They gave up on importing new model Fiesta (excepting ST) and dropped the range.
A 1 litre 3 cylinder Fiesta sport would cream a KIA picante Gt Line/Gt in performance and handling, but no Ford have walked away.
Don't get me started on Focus pricing and model availability.

Kia have the value equation right and they have the right marketing.

I,m a long time Ford fan and have had nothing but fords since 2003 but if they wont sell what I want to buy and at the right price it will be goodbye.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #125
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
They gave up on importing new model Fiesta (excepting ST) and dropped the range.
A 1 litre 3 cylinder Fiesta sport would cream a KIA picante Gt Line/Gt in performance and handling, but no Ford have walked away.

I,m a long time Ford fan and have had nothing but fords since 2003 but if they wont sell what I want to buy and at the right price it will be goodbye.
Agreed, 100%.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #126
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

x3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 03-02-2019, 11:42 PM   #127
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey what's the chance the auto journalists are reading AFF pages??

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...arison-116720/

"...$17,000 battle royale..."
Old 04-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #128
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Hey what's the chance the auto journalists are reading AFF pages??

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...arison-116720/

"...$17,000 battle royale..."
The Picanto looks 10x better than the Yaris and they probably chose the worst colour on offer to compare as the red with silver highlights doesnt flow through to the interiors black with red highlights in the same way the white with red, black with red or silver/grey with red does.
I read the 2019 Picanto GT review and I'm very tempted to make the change for the manual option alone, never mind the additional kw and 50% more torque which would make a huge difference to the drive, especially on the highway where the auto see's the engine @3k rpm for 100k/hr.
The auto is fine for what it's designed for, city commuting, but if you want the ability to get out of the hustle and bustle, the extra cog will be worthwhile.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #129
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Cant comment on the new cars, if I were to go small car again I would buy a yaris with the manual trans. In 2005 we bought new the 5speed 1.3L toyota echo and still have it today as a spare car. Very fun car, good on hwy, and still on same clutch/engine/transaxle and has just clocked up 400 000Km. For longevity and retaining fun you cant go wrong with Toyota echo/yaris in my opinion...
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #130
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Cant comment on the new cars, if I were to go small car again I would buy a yaris with the manual trans. In 2005 we bought new the 5speed 1.3L toyota echo and still have it today as a spare car. Very fun car, good on hwy, and still on same clutch/engine/transaxle and has just clocked up 400 000Km. For longevity and retaining fun you cant go wrong with Toyota echo/yaris in my opinion...
Thats a fair call, you certainly cant knock Toyota where reliability is concerned, sure they have had examples where that reputation has been brought into question as with the DPF issues they are currently facing but lets be honest DPF on mainstream cars is a relatively new feature and many manufacturers have found teething problems in one form or another.
Every manufacturer has its issues at some stage, its how they address them that quite often sets them apart.
You only have to look around you on the roads to see how longevity can be measured, its not uncommon to see 80's and 90's era Corolla's and Camry's etc. amongst the traffic, cant honestly remember the last time i saw a Camira or Gemini or KE/F Laser or equaivalent Telstar on the road and if you do it grabs your attention for being unusual.

To be honest im not sure if i'd have bought a Kia without the 7yr warranty but i figure if they're prepared to put their money where their mouth is and back themselves to that extant, who am i to argue, i'll just enjoy it for what it is, hand it over of it causes me grief and should it become a nuisence it will be sent packing like the other 100 cars i've bought and sold.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #131
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You only have to look around you on the roads to see how longevity can be measured,
still see a few of the early Hyundai excels getting about. pretty good sign as to the reliability of Hyundai. kia are the sister company. i'd say most modern cars will do a fair journey.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #132
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Yes I think the key is to keep ontop of the oil changes and servicing and to fix issues straight away for longevity on these cars.

In fact the next door neighbour still has a late 80's early 90's green Ford Laser, and seen another driving around the suburbs by older folks too...
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #133
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
still see a few of the early Hyundai excels getting about. pretty good sign as to the reliability of Hyundai. kia are the sister company. i'd say most modern cars will do a fair journey.
Areed, machanically the Excel Sprints were fairly good, apart from the intital batch of twin cam models that suffered engine failures.
We bought one of the last single cam models available new in SA and a friend bought one of the first twin cam models within weeks of each other, we had no trouble, they replaced the motor twice in 20k's.
The long term issue with them were paint and trim life and i believe they had an issue with chassis cracks too.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #134
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Yes I think the key is to keep ontop of the oil changes and servicing and to fix issues straight away for longevity on these cars.

In fact the next door neighbour still has a late 80's early 90's green Ford Laser, and seen another driving around the suburbs by older folks too...
Oh, no doubt what you say is true, there are still examples to be found, but when you sonsider that in the 80's and early 90's the Laser was the small car to own and the Corolla hadnt really risen to the heights it reached later in life, to still see so many KE70 and onwards Corolla's around is quite impressive where the many Lasers have declined considerably.

Its not that long ago (8yrs) that i bought a KA Laser S in very tidy condition from someone on this forum, went well for a 30yr old car.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #135
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
well thats typical Adelaide, wouldn't take those numbers to measure the big picture.
Sydney you'd spot one at a wrecker if you visited one, don't see any of those Excell 1 2 or 3's on the road - same for Melb I expect.
1's were a pos tbh, suspension was all wrong for the market as well not just the drive train.
At least they improved and now the i20/i30 is a brilliant little daily.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #136
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=FTE217;6252268]well thats typical Adelaide, wouldn't take those numbers to measure the big picture.
Sydney you'd spot one at a wrecker if you visited one, don't see any of those Excell 1 2 or 3's on the road - same for Melb I expect.
1's were a pos tbh, suspension was all wrong for the market as well not just the drive train.
At least they improved and now the i20/i30 is a brilliant little daily.[/

It’s easier to keep an old car on the road in SA as there are no annual roadworthy checks. By the time an excel is 10yo, it’s worth $200 scrapped, but might need 3k spent on random leaks etc to make it east coast roadworthy.
Just not worth it.
I had a 96 excel 4dr and a 99 twincam as cheap runarounds, engines were solid with regular oil changes, it’s the interior and paint that would literally dissolve into nothing, but with 250k sold in Australia with that body shape, spares were super easy to get from a wrecker.
I rate Hyundai/kias up there with Toyota as a great appliance, you’ll pay more for less in the Toyota, but you’ll get a lot back at trade in time.
My mum has a 3yo Accent which was 16k driveaway with auto, the equivalent Yaris was well over 20k, but it will be kept for min 10years, so resale doesn’t matter.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 04-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #137
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post

It’s easier to keep an old car on the road in SA as there are no annual roadworthy checks. By the time an excel is 10yo, it’s worth $200 scrapped, but might need 3k spent on random leaks etc to make it east coast roadworthy.
I think annual roadworthy checks are fine but please don't try to tell me it's worked to keep the rubbish of the road over there.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:09 AM   #138
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
I think annual roadworthy checks are fine but please don't try to tell me it's worked to keep the rubbish of the road over there.
please explain ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 AM   #139
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Yep, SA, WA and Tas much easier to get long life out of a car without the constant road worthy checks taking them off the road for often pretty minor issues.
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 05-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #140
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Smart purchase. They look hillarious, but are solid cars with a class-leading warranty and decent features for the price. All that, and roughly 3 times better economy than i achieve in the Sprint. That's impressive! We have an i30 SR with a 7 speed DCT that does about 6.5L/100 on the highway, which is mega for our cars, but not very good in stop start situations like yours is.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #141
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
Smart purchase. They look hillarious, but are solid cars with a class-leading warranty and decent features for the price.
Cheers, it certainly gets a lot of looks and despite what many may think, they're not all laughing..lol

Last week the Wife, 7yr old Daughter and I decided to go for a late night cruise down the coast, we stopped at a servo to grab some drinks and just as we were about to leave a car load of young ladies in a Swift pulled up beside us, they were all looking over at us smiling as they pulled up, until the Wife rolled the window down and they realised it was a middle aged couple with child, i think they thought it would be some young lad.
As we drove off the Wife appologised for spoiling my apparent opportunity, i said all good, im too old now to keep that lot content.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #142
MustangStevo63

lol bent 8

and sincere apologies for my brain fade a while back
MustangStevo63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #143
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangStevo63 View Post
lol bent 8

and sincere apologies for my brain fade a while back
All good fella, i dont take whats said on here to heart, lifes too short to get wound up about what happens on an internet forum.

I'll be the first to admit i love a good stir, it all gets too serious sometimes, but i guess when you've got so many different personalities from many different walks of life anything can happen.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2019, 05:56 AM   #144
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post

The Fiesta would have creamed the Picanto GT because its in a different Segment. The Ford Ka is more of a comparison.

Fiesta Sport and the 1.3L Turbo Rio GT-Line - now we are talking.

All in all, Ford has been put in a difficult situation. The Fiesta and Focus both coming out of Europe (instead of Thailand) has meant that the landing costs are way more expensive. They would have had to gut the crap out of the car to get it at Thai sourced price - and that would have meant that the cars would have been competitive from a price point, but un-competitive spec for spec against other cars.

I can see why they have shifted production from Thailand to Europe. The Thai factory is pumping a crapload of Rangers! High demand means that the ranger gets priority over the fiesta and focus
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #145
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Quote:
Hmm...yeah, nah.
lol best comment, maybe spend a bit extra and go for the new corolla.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #146
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bent, were you just on peachy Rd Davoren Park? I just followed a jet pilot picanto that looked a million bucks, and thought if that’s bent8, I’ll eat my hat ��

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 20-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #147
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Bent, were you just on peachy Rd Davoren Park? I just followed a jet pilot picanto that looked a million bucks, and thought if that’s bent8, I’ll eat my hat ��
Yep, you in the white Cruze?
Old 20-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #148
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, you in the white Cruze?
Yes, now I’m looking for an edible hat

2019 LDV G10