Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #91
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Why Australians love luxury cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
http://www.manheim.com.au/passenger-...hiseID=MANHEIM

I find it very interesting that this particular vehicle was repossessed with only 1459km on the odometer.
Why would somebody commit to such a large debt only to find they are unable to make the repayments? They barely drove the thing around the block!?!?
I'd love to know what goes through some people's minds.
Are these repo's, end of lease or ex company cars. How can you tell ?
Old 04-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #92
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I reckon ppl get these cars give off the 'appearance' of them doing well in their business and lifestyle. Fair enough if you can actually afford the repayments to get a prestige car. But I know of some who are so focused and insecure on how they look to their peers that they will hike themselves to the hill in debt to get these cars. It's actually quite sad.

But like the auction example, people are dumb and for the brief glint of limelight they were chasing, it all ends up in a heap because their ambition outweighs their talent to run a business.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #93
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Interesting - only wealthy people live beyond their means.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #94
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Interesting - only wealthy people live beyond their means.
Perhaps luxury cars are for fools. The wealthiest people I know drive low profile cars: corollas, hiluxes, etc. financially , a motor vehicle is the worst financial decision to make , apart from perhaps marriage...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #95
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

May be Australia should become a communist state, where we all have to drive the same car, where the same clothes, live in same caravans (that will be towed by the cars we buy).
That may stop some people getting up in arms about other people's purchases.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #96
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Perhaps luxury cars are for fools. The wealthiest people I know drive low profile cars: corollas, hiluxes, etc. financially , a motor vehicle is the worst financial decision to make , apart from perhaps marriage...
There are many ways to waste money.

For example I don’t smoke or gamble as I see those as a bad financial decision and would rather waste my money on cars.

It beats leaving it in the bank for the kids to one day waste.

Last edited by Express; 04-02-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #97
blakef6
Banned

Is a G6e a luxury car lol?
blakef6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #98
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
There are many ways to waste money.

For example I don’t smoke or gamble as I see those as a bad financial decision and would rather waste my money on cars.

Or for the banks to take at the next GFC

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #99
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People who are genuinely wealthy lease modest and expensive cars they can aford to buy but use the lease for the tax treatment and capital effectiveness and don't default.

Poor people lease expensive cars they can't afford and default.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #100
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is a Fairlane luxury? Cause if so I got my BAII for 1.5k and I don't count that as a bad financial decision.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #101
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I wrote this years ago on AFF, still relevant.

There are basically 5 classes of wealth:

1. The Independently Wealthy (Not just paper rich but have a large amount of tangible wealth.)

2. The Dependently Wealthy (Rich on paper only. More debt than they can ever pay off. If the paper wealth goes south they have no tangible wealth to cover the debts and they lose everything.)

3. The Independently Poor (No debt and not living Pay check to Pay check.)

4. The Dependently Poor (In Debt to their ***, owe money on everything, house(s), car(s), credit cards maxed out. 90 days or less without a pay check and they lose everything. Mission in life is trying to keep up with The Dependently Wealthy.)

5. The Filthy Rich

As you can see there is no difference between The Dependently Wealthy and The Dependently Poor. They have one thing in common, they're both broke but they just don't know it.

The Independently Wealthy and Independently Poor have a lot in common too. They’re not broke and they know it.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #102
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
This thread relates to the sales of new luxury vehicles, not 12 year old ones with 400,000km.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't say that so loud. Your cars only as old as it feels

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #103
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Express, I respect your posts, but this is surely tongue in cheek? Were they taught asset management? I've met many older generation SKINs, and the thought is horrific, a poverty of the mind, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted
It looks like Australians' love affair with luxury cars is coming back to bite them. Have a look at the sheer number of finance repossessions in this list.

http://www.manheim.com.au/passenger-...hiseID=MANHEIM
Fantastic link tempted, I am always looking for little 'macro' indicators to construct, this one could be a more diabolical counterpoint to the ANZ job ads... Anything to give forewarning of stress in the mortgage complex... me like
Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #104
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A little bit off topic ;This something i believe that is wrong with the common Aussie family in my eyes and from what i have experienced. In which i don't personally understand, why one would want to do such a thing to their children. However fortunately i come from an European background and this is not the case for me.

In a typical European family the parents work hard and try to set up their children for their future by giving them the best opportunity and making the sacrifice. Instead of leaving their children when they die, with a house and a mortgage still left to pay. (Yes i know this is a generalisation but you get the point)

My parents started with nothing and have made a lot of sacrifices to reach the financial point they are now. In order to leave my bother and I with a opportunity for a better future. I will also do the same for when i have children and make sacrifices to leave my children with the ability to be able to reach even greater opportunities.

Leaving your children with peanuts is completely morally wrong in my eyes and spending everything is downright greedy. Well i guess that's the way i have been brought up.
Anyways apologies for the rant, just my 2cents.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #105
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so I get what your saying there.

But, I want my parents to spend their last cent the day they die and to leave me nothing. I want them to enjoy the last year's of their life, they owe me nothing, they gave me everything already when they sacrificed part of their life to raise me.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #106
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
A little bit off topic ;This something i believe that is wrong with the common Aussie family in my eyes and from what i have experienced. In which i don't personally understand, why one would want to do such a thing to their children. However fortunately i come from an European background and this is not the case for me.

In a typical European family the parents work hard and try to set up their children for their future by giving them the best opportunity and making the sacrifice. Instead of leaving their children when they die, with a house and a mortgage still left to pay. (Yes i know this is a generalisation but you get the point)

My parents started with nothing and have made a lot of sacrifices to reach the financial point they are now. In order to leave my bother and I with a opportunity for a better future. I will also do the same for when i have children and make sacrifices to leave my children with the ability to be able to reach even greater opportunities.

Leaving your children with peanuts is completely morally wrong in my eyes and spending everything is downright greedy. Well i guess that's the way i have been brought up.
Agree, was raised similarly. If you can achieve a great deal in one lifetime, imagine what can be built in 4... or 6... etc...
And from the old Book, 'to whom much is given, from them much is required', or words to that effect

anyway back on topic, the luxury cars built by Europe's leading industrialist, multi generational, family conglomerates, haha
Old 05-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #107
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:

\

Same - My parents are Hungarian by birth and raised my sister and I in the traditional European way. We expect nothing, and have lived our lives that way, but I'm sure that they will leave us something, which we don't really need, but will be nice to pass onto our kids!!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #108
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Settle down, Australia's biggest selling cars are the Toyota Corolla and Mazda3.

Most Australians are hardly living a soft, decadent, self indulgent life like the ancient Romans (or modern Europe for that matter).
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2016, 11:20 PM   #109
goo33

For those who have a high income, tax breaks (and there are a lot of them) encourage people to buy expensive cars which we don't necessarily need.
These tax deductions for buying cars were set up at a political level to drive consumption. If you want to start the immature Aussie blame game, then blame parliament.
If your accountant told you to buy a new car or pay more tax, you might just double check the numbers and buy a car. Doesn't mean to say you that have to drive it though.
goo33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 05:42 AM   #110
Deo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo33 View Post
Doesn't mean to say you that have to drive it though.
Yes you can just put it up on blocks, right?

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #111
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo33 View Post
If your accountant told you to buy a new car or pay more tax, you might just double check the numbers and buy a car. Doesn't mean to say you that have to drive it though.
Pretty sure the car my gf was advised to salary sacrifice for HAS to be driven a minimum number of kms.

Not sure if there's any tax breaks for buying a car outright, but reducing your taxable income to buy a car (and end up effectively paying less for the car, fuel, etc) is probably what they'd be advising.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #112
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nup that's old laws, it's a flat tax rate now no matter the km travelled. Previously the more you drove the lower the tax.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #113
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
Express, I respect your posts, but this is surely tongue in cheek? Were they taught asset management? I've met many older generation SKINs, and the thought is horrific, a poverty of the mind, so to speak.

Quote:

To answer Sprintey it was actually a tongue in cheek remark based on the fact that inherited financial gain for the majority does not set you up for life and is usually enough to provide family members with a new car, house extensions, an overseas holiday and so on, whether that is wasting the money or not is a matter of your point of view.

For some members they would obviously believe any money inherited from your parents should then be retained and passed on to your own children and they do the same and so on.

I didn’t want to get into this but as I personally I don’t agree I will have a say.

My eldest son lives in London with his family and his wealth already far exceeds mine.

My second son isn’t motivated by financial gain and after Uni he spent 3 years in Africa working for a charity organisation and today is in Melbourne making an average living but I can say he’s very satisfied with his life as he is doing wants he wants to do. Any money he inherits from me will be instantly passed on to charity.

My daughter is still at Uni and I can only speculate which way her path in life will go but I do know she has the opportunity to live with us while she studies but chooses to work part time and be independent and that is a credit to her.

If my children ever need financial help and I can afford to give it then I wouldn’t hesitate but my wife and I gave them something far better.

We gave them love, support and encouragement, we showed them how proud we were of their achievements and we laughed and cried with them when they failed.

We were there when they needed us and with that we gave them the building blocks to move ahead independent of us.

The other side of the coin for some is that money not earned is money not appreciated.

These days we live long into retirement, we have a high standard of health compared to previous generations, we have the means to travel and be involved in all manner of activities and hobbies and I certainly will never feel guilty for enjoying my retirement.

I’d be disappointed if my children were selfish enough to think we only existed for them.

But each to their own and if money is the means you use to make your children happy then so be it.

The only thing I'm planning at this stage to leave my children is the house we live in and the cars I own, whatever's left will be a bonus for them.
6 users like this post: