Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2020, 12:41 AM   #61
Schtoo

Default Re: I'm conflicted. AU or BA or BF XR8 coupe-utility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post

[do wish the wagooons had a rear window like the terry tho! ]

Eff that.

The family bus came with a dealer installed camera + monitor rear view mirror. Latest gadget at the time, copied furiously now.

Anyone who says it's not one of the greatest things ever installed on a long box vehicle has never used one or is just plain stoopit. Takes about 15 minutes to get used to, would repair it immediately if it ever stopped working.

Nothing like having the back loaded to the roof, and the rear mirror works like it always does and a sight better than glass ever will. ;)

Worth a look at least. ;)

Stu.
Schtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #62
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
Eff that.

The family bus came with a dealer installed camera + monitor rear view mirror. Latest gadget at the time, copied furiously now.

Anyone who says it's not one of the greatest things ever installed on a long box vehicle has never used one or is just plain stoopit. Takes about 15 minutes to get used to, would repair it immediately if it ever stopped working.

Nothing like having the back loaded to the roof, and the rear mirror works like it always does and a sight better than glass ever will. ;)

Worth a look at least. ;)

Stu.

that was so i could have items out that window instead of under the tailgate

don't have the camera out back .... but i now wish i had fitted the reverse sensors i have here
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #63
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

cheeez got to add my peace here on both variants in question.
Looks - yep if a bseries model walked down the catwalk I'd pick the FG but hey thats me, BF's yes as well for they are the models updated and rounded off from the first gens.
Now the ticker/heart, NO, and I mean no 260 ever turned me on one bit !
So its got more top end yep, when and for how long are you on that ? hardly ever IF you wish to keep your license.
290, yep it better but they are too damn heavy, I have tried to buy myself a bseries V8 since GT came back out, I could buy any of them brand new, have tested countless of them, they just didn't inspire me signing on the dotted line.
RSpec is the only one that got me going but I made a wrong call after release.
No matter ended up with the Sprint.
Bseries I expected so much more, when I jumped into the test drive in my T3 - I knew from the moment I stepped on the go pedal.
Its off the mark what its about in suburbia and its out like a light switch compared to any boss I'm sorry.
I had a new XR8S3, beautiful machine, sure they don't get out and boogy like the 5.6l but perfectly ample what the OP is desiring.
V8, sound and all round good performer for his needs and imo the front is unique I like the look.
If anything I'd go a BF going the other way but thats the mans call.

Onya fiji, hope your enjoying another kava day providing some more wonderful inspiring input.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #64
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
cheeez got to add my peace here on both variants in question.
Looks - yep if a bseries model walked down the catwalk I'd pick the FG but hey thats me, BF's yes as well for they are the models updated and rounded off from the first gens.
Now the ticker/heart, NO, and I mean no 260 ever turned me on one bit !
So its got more top end yep, when and for how long are you on that ? hardly ever IF you wish to keep your license.
290, yep it better but they are too damn heavy, I have tried to buy myself a bseries V8 since GT came back out, I could buy any of them brand new, have tested countless of them, they just didn't inspire me signing on the dotted line.
RSpec is the only one that got me going but I made a wrong call after release.
No matter ended up with the Sprint.
Bseries I expected so much more, when I jumped into the test drive in my T3 - I knew from the moment I stepped on the go pedal.
Its off the mark what its about in suburbia and its out like a light switch compared to any boss I'm sorry.
I had a new XR8S3, beautiful machine, sure they don't get out and boogy like the 5.6l but perfectly ample what the OP is desiring.
V8, sound and all round good performer for his needs and imo the front is unique I like the look.
If anything I'd go a BF going the other way but thats the mans call.

Onya fiji, hope your enjoying another kava day providing some more wonderful inspiring input.
The performance of the Boss motors was a weird one. On an engine dyno they made something like 400nm of torque at 2000 rpm (or something like that), which is almost as much as the AU 185's make at peak. But it just didn't translate on the road for whatever reason. The 4 speed BTR was an even bigger anchor on them.

They would have benefited greatly with VCT, or even a variable length inlet manifold. Both things a Gen 3 Coyote has.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2020, 11:06 PM   #65
Schtoo

And now to throw a spanner in the works, a big ugly 24" Sidchrome shifter like spanner, got some pics from my brother about a car a friend is currently working on getting back into shape and on the road.

It's a VU SS. 130K Km on it, baby poo metallic.

If he says something stupid price wise, I might end going that route, which is sacrilegious to the extreme, but at the same time I'm not locked into whichever variety of Blue Oval utility so why not consider an embarrassed feline version?

LS1, Auto. Not real keen on that, but it'd still scratch that itch and might well allow me enough time to dicker around and find something I'd be more willing to keep for a longer period of time. I'll have to pay the bogan tax (insurance is double what a Ford would be), but whatever.

Not a done deal by any means, but a valid option all the same.

Crap.

Stu.
Old 27-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #66
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

lol, fiji will say Aurion now.
Go for it Stu, if it ticks the boxs and ol mate says a silly price no brainer but for the burnt fingers stepping into the devil every time
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2020, 11:51 PM   #67
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
Why do you bring in the 5.6 stroker? It's not one of the cars the OP is considering. It's au XR8 or ba XR8.

Whilst your on it though, I was in a popular ford shop and the owner had a T3 in there with the 5.6. he said it just had no go. He rated a boss 260 about line ball stock and with a few basic mods really tear away from the T3.
Dude you need to get out more, your trolling is actually laughable. My old manual T3 stock went down the 1/4 in 13.6. My BA XR8 auto with mods couldn't manage any better than 14.8, enough said

Quote:

The kick in the face is how T3 owners think they are worth 3 times a ba XR8, ridiculous isn't it.
Best thing about this statement is it's true actually, usually more than 3 times the price of a BA XR8. Worth more than a BF GT too, that's got to say something about the car as well

To the OP, if that VU is cheap i'd be going that way. Can always sell later on if something else in manual comes up. Nothing wrong with Holden. My old manual VY Clubsport still goes down as the second best car i've ever owned, loved the LS1, mod for mod cost wise only the barra beats it. Mine cost $3500 to get to 260rwkw, very cheap power

Last edited by fordomatic; 28-05-2020 at 12:00 AM.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 12:47 AM   #68
nstg8a

Quote:
Then the T3 owners think they are worth 3 times a ba XR8, ridiculous isn't it. That or the ba XR8 is bargain of the century

Well they don’t just think it... go on car sales.

It’s a simple fact that a t3 is worth significantly more than a ba xr8.
As it should be, it was a limited edition last of its type. The ba was not limited at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #69
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Quote:
To the OP, would you consider a LS1 car? AU owners tremble at the mention of a LS1. Ford really copped a kick in the teeth through the AU period

For your hard earnt money get something with more motor, something that brings the silly boy out in you as you say, the theatre and noise.... I'd put a boss 260 up with a LS1 but the AU cars get punished.

The bargain in the pack is the ba XR8 with boss 260 for around $10k

Compare it to The T3 owners with their 5.6 think they have the best car since sliced bread 250kw @5250rpm and 500nm @4250rpm

Then ba XR8 with more power at 260kw @5250rpm and 500nm at the same 4250rpm. Plus way more tunable and strapped to a better car.

The T3 was at the end of its development stretching and vibrating to get to 250kw but the boss 260 starts at 260kw and way way more tunable..

Then the T3 owners think they are worth 3 times a ba XR8, ridiculous isn't it. That or the ba XR8 is bargain of the century
lol...
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 01:21 AM   #70
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Hahah. Gold.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 05:50 AM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Dude you need to get out more, your trolling is actually laughable. My old manual T3 stock went down the 1/4 in 13.6. My BA XR8 auto with mods couldn't manage any better than 14.8, enough said
Lol that's pretty lame - The Lebonator ran faster than that with bald rear tyres and boat anchor 304.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #72
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

For your hard earnt money get something with more motor, something that brings the silly boy out in you as you say, the theatre and noise
Old school ford with a big solid lifter cleveland and top loader it is then
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #73
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To the OP, would you consider a LS1 car? AU owners tremble at the mention of a LS1. Ford really copped a kick in the teeth through the AU period

For your hard earnt money get something with more motor, something that brings the silly boy out in you as you say, the theatre and noise.... I'd put a boss 260 up with a LS1 but the AU cars get punished.

The bargain in the pack is the ba XR8 with boss 260 for around $10k

Compare it to The T3 owners with their 5.6 think they have the best car since sliced bread 250kw @5250rpm and 500nm @4250rpm

Then ba XR8 with more power at 260kw @5250rpm and 500nm at the same 4250rpm. Plus way more tunable and strapped to a better car.

The T3 was at the end of its development stretching and vibrating to get to 250kw but the boss 260 starts at 260kw and way way more tunable..

Hmmm, by that logic I might jump on gumtree and pick up some cheap end-of-development cars with less power than later cars...things like 70s and 80s limited edition muscle cars must be change from a grand these days. Reckon I'd get both a HO and a HDT for less than a $K?
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #74
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the VU will still be a fun ute, ignore the sloppy steering, sloppy auto and just enjoy the LS, the steering can be fixed and the auto can be tuned (and kitted)

I might have a boss 260 and 290 but i still have the last of the LS1's in my adventra and that thing is bloody fast for a big fat cow
its so easy to modify too and for not alot of money compared to fords offerings

if your looking at utes of that age i would care less about the brand and model and more about the condition and price
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #75
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
In case anyone wants some back story to the rubbish Fiji spins. He reckons the aurion is one of the best cars made.
Noise & theatrics is fun, until u get chopped by an aurion, and even then they are embarrassingly slow considering.

Why not get a Harley with straight pipes
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #76
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

too funny this, got to look at it as light covid entertainment in a make believe pub discussion at times.
When you leave its one of those moments that you shake your head, a little giggle and think what a you know what. Its a wonderful world.

Sorry Schtoo - I know most involved are passing on unbiased real world experiences.
Old 28-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #77
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post

14.8. That is slow. Mine was a 14.2 stock BA XR8 auto I owned many moons ago.

Bit hard to compare manual to auto though, the BTR 4 speed was an anchor on the 260.
Old 28-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #78
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The bad boss 260 quarter mile times are usually big wheelspin. They are not easy to step off the line, 1rpm too much and they blow the tyres off the rims

The au cars always get a perfect start as even 225 tyres is sufficient grip.
I agree here, I need to launch my GT in 2nd but the wrong revs and it's either tyre smoke or clutch smoke.
In the AU's you can just mash it and go
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #79
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The bad boss 260 quarter mile times are usually big wheelspin. They are not easy to step off the line, 1rpm too much and they blow the tyres off the rims

The au cars always get a perfect start as even 225 tyres is sufficient grip.
Not for autos though. I'd stall it high as it would go and it would always get off the line cleanly at Calder.

Manuals are a whole 'nother story.
Old 29-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #80
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
I agree here, I need to launch my GT in 2nd but the wrong revs and it's either tyre smoke or clutch smoke.
In the AU's you can just mash it and go
It actually amazes me how well these motors work when you think about there make up a long stroke truck block that wants to produce huge torque coupled with DOHC 4V heads that want to rev..... like two opposing forces ...end result no port velocity at low revs which is why theyre so flat down low then at around 4500rpm the flow starts happening and the heads start doing there thing for a mere 1500rpm when the piston speedgets so great the motor wants to tear itself apart
thats why theyre so hard to control off the line

Imagine the success Ford would have had if they had fitted these heads to a Boss 351, with the built in potential to stroke to 400+cubes giving it the flexibility to fit different types of vehicle like you can do with the LSI
but Ford were determined to stick with the small bore blocks crazy IMO

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #81
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
It actually amazes me how well these motors work when you think about there make up a long stroke truck block that wants to produce huge torque coupled with DOHC 4V heads that want to rev..... like two opposing forces ...end result no port velocity at low revs which is why theyre so flat down low then at around 4500rpm the flow starts happening and the heads start doing there thing for a mere 1500rpm when the piston speedgets so great the motor wants to tear itself apart
thats why theyre so hard to control off the line

Imagine the success Ford would have had if they had fitted these heads to a Boss 351, with the built in potential to stroke to 400+cubes giving it the flexibility to fit different types of vehicle like you can do with the LSI
but Ford were determined to stick with the small bore blocks crazy IMO
They went with small bores so they could use them in fwd vehicles with east/west mounting in the US. But I don't think they did ever make any fwd modular V8 cars. But they must have had plans to.

Well for the 4.6 anyway. The 5.4 had the long stroke which was beneficial for it's no 1 job powering the F series.

FPV went some way to making it work better by upping the rpm limit to 6500 rpm for the FG, which gave it a bit more of a useable rev range. They should have fitted Carillo rods and used a 7000rpm rev limit like SVT did for the Cobra R though.
Old 29-05-2020, 05:21 PM   #82
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They went with small bores so they could use them in fwd vehicles with east/west mounting in the US. But I don't think they did ever make any fwd modular V8 cars. But they must have had plans to.

Well for the 4.6 anyway. The 5.4 had the long stroke which was beneficial for it's no 1 job powering the F series.

FPV went some way to making it work better by upping the rpm limit to 6500 rpm for the FG, which gave it a bit more of a useable rev range. They should have fitted Carillo rods and used a 7000rpm rev limit like SVT did for the Cobra R though.
Understand the reasoning but if they worked out the flexibility the larger bore would have given them in being able to stroke and create alot of different capacities with the same engine rather than building complete new engines everytime they want another v8,.... imagine the flexibility the coyote would have if it was a four inch bore and not a square engine

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #83
Swordie

If you are after sound AU 5.0 Windsor has a good note with the right exhaust. Holden 5.0 has a really good sound too.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #84
Schtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
If you are after sound AU 5.0 Windsor has a good note with the right exhaust. Holden 5.0 has a really good sound too.

Yes, I can't fault that but if I want Holden, a good mate is working on one of them, and I get that sound fix there.

Besides which, in my family Holden are cursed so I'd prefer to avoid them in possible so I don't tempt fate. Not reliability, just every one we've ever owned has come to a sad end...

Ford, 56 years continuously, never had an issue. Although that XC I had I wish met an early demise, but it just refused to go gracefully or ungracefully...

Had a chat with someone from work yesterday, who's a long time Holden mechanic and a Ford tragic, told me what to look out for especially on the VU that's on the horizon and what to look out for in a BA/BF. He's got an AU something (not sure what) and one of them would be absolutely viable as well and he's offered to come with me to suss something out. Not that I can't work out what's going on myself, but another human on the case with finer tuned senses never hurts. ;)

(He's probably around here somewhere. I'd be surprised if he wasn't...)

Looking into things further, I think I'll try and get a hold of an AU manual, a BA II Manual (T56) or a BF anything (not adverse to a good ZF) so long as everything else on the animal turns out decent. Been warned about clutches, might be something to consider tweaking fairly early on.

It's only because my commute is short and usually painless that I'm considering a manual.

And if that VU is what I end up with, slushbox and all, the Ministeress of war and finance has suggested the baby poop colour would be satisfactory with scatterings of flowers, as though they're sprouting from mud. I'd do it too, just because it would be bound to upset those wound up too tightly.

What I like in this picture is that she's not only not against my getting something I want, but she's trying to make a garden out of a turd.

Stu.