Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 20-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
nshir3
Starter Motor

Default Buckled Rim

Hi members,
I've been a member of the forum for a while but haven't contributed. I've got an MB Titanium diesel and live in NQ. I put new Dunlop tyres on two weekends ago and have just taken the vehicle back to the dealer, as the alignment appears to be out. I've just been informed that one of the rims has buckled. I took the car to an independent tyre fitter who confirmed the wheel was buckled, and rotated the rim to the rear of the car to limit alignment concerns. My question, or query, is that there is no visible damage to the tyre, not has the car hit anything out of the ordinary - eg large pot holes. Ford have quoted $1250 for a new rim which sounds inflated. Has anyone else experienced similar concerns?

Rim issues aside the vehicle continues to astound me. 45k on clock and averaging 950km on a tank on nearly 100% highway driving in somewhat hilly conditions. I will trade the vehicle late next year and will most likely consider a diesel titanium wagon.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by nshir3; 20-08-2011 at 03:53 PM.
nshir3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buckled Rim

get the rim repaired. or buy a s/hand one from ebay or the wreckers.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is the thread on alloy wheel repairers:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=42249
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

I had a little altercation with a gutter in my MB XR5, resulting in some nasty gravel rash on the lip of the rim.

I was quoted $840-$880 for a brand new XR5-specific rim, from two different dealers. I baulked at that price, and didn't proceed with replacement.

The price quoted to you seems excessive. Ring around, even interstate. I expect freight would be in the order of $40-50.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshir3
Hi members,
I've been a member of the forum for a while but haven't contributed. I've got an MB Titanium diesel and live in NQ. I put new Dunlop tyres on two weekends ago and have just taken the vehicle back to the dealer, as the alignment appears to be out. I've just been informed that one of the rims has buckled. I took the car to an independent tyre fitter who confirmed the wheel was buckled, and rotated the rim to the rear of the car to limit alignment concerns.

This buckled rim/alignment quotation. How is the rim buckled? Inside edge or the whole rim?

If the whole rim is buckled and the alignment was done with this rim on the front, changing it's positioning isn't going to "limit" the alignment concerns.

The alignment adjustments are done by the tierod ends, not the rim. The heads for the alignment machine are just put on rims. So if I were you and you originally went back for alignment concerns, I'd be heading back there and getting the job done properly, which means having a true running rim.

IMA, the alignment shouldn't have been done in the first place, with a buckled rim. It gives fault alignment readings.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
ian b

I know they are not MB Titanium wheels but these might provide you with an alternative solution.

Rims are located in Brisbane.

Ebay item number 120763303844
Old 22-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
nshir3
Starter Motor

Thanks everyone for your advice. The car goes back into to Ford on Wednesday therefore I'll see what their 'recommendation' is. On a side note, the sunroof also needs it's second seal replacement in 8 weeks, as it leaks around the join in the seal towards the rear end of the sunroof.

Issues aside, the car is such a pleasure to drive on NQ highways, pot holes aside.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. It's been very welcome.

Nick
Old 22-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your advice. The car goes back into to Ford on Wednesday therefore I'll see what their 'recommendation' is.
Nick

I'll tell you their recommendation. There's nothing wrong with the car, other than a buckled rim. IMA, aligning a car with a buckled rim, makes the alignment setting worse than they were originally.

Best of luck. You're going to need it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi members,
I've been a member of the forum for a while but haven't contributed. I've got an MB Titanium diesel and live in NQ. I put new Dunlop tyres on two weekends ago and have just taken the vehicle back to the dealer, as the alignment appears to be out. I've just been informed that one of the rims has buckled. I took the car to an independent tyre fitter who confirmed the wheel was buckled, and rotated the rim to the rear of the car to limit alignment concerns. My question, or query, is that there is no visible damage to the tyre, not has the car hit anything out of the ordinary - eg large pot holes. Ford have quoted $1250 for a new rim which sounds inflated. Has anyone else experienced similar concerns?

Rim issues aside the vehicle continues to astound me. 45k on clock and averaging 950km on a tank on nearly 100% highway driving in somewhat hilly conditions. I will trade the vehicle late next year and will most likely consider a diesel titanium wagon.

I put a decent dent in a steel rim from hitting a pothole a couple of years ago. But I certainly remember hitting the pothole, and wondering what damage I'd done.

Ford will probably just say that it's road damage and not a manufacturing fault. The price you've been quoted for a new rim is a joke - Ford 17" alloy wheels in NZ list for about $400 + GST, and you could buy one from the UK for less than 100 pounds.
Old 23-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
nshir3
Starter Motor

Evening members,
Thanks for your replies and advice. The car goes in to Ford in Townsville tomorrow therefore I'll let you know the outcome. Sadly I can't take the car in myself due to work travel commitments, therefore the wife will need to fight the battle.

The sunroof issue is starting to bother me also. Two seals in 8 weeks is not good enough.

Nick