Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
sly
Sly like a G6

Default Door Trim Removal

Sorry to do this guys, I'd normally search but I'm just about to run out to go to work & I have about 2 hours tomorrow to do the job, so any help is vastly appreciated.

My driver's side power window is stuck wide open. I've already checked the window switch and it's not the problem. I suspect I have to replace the window motor/linkage/whatever and have sourced a complete unit from the wrecker.

What I need to know is: Are there any tricks to removal of the door trim? It looks like just a couple of screws and a fastener (which is broken anyway) and unplugging the window switches. Do I need to remove the door handle to get the trim off or does it slide around it?

Again, any help or links are much appreciated.

TIA.

The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

http://fordforums.com.au/vbportal/mo...article&id=756
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...0&postcount=45
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11232743
Old 24-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Here you go mate,
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11232743

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...0&postcount=45

Beat me to it Mr Hardware..
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I like this one
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=364

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
urbancowboy

Pm me if you need help im in Newcastle and Ive taken my trims of several times so i can show how to do it if you need any help!

But just in case, you've got a few screws at the bottom of the door trim to undo, they're hidden by little covers, then you've got two screws on the front doors that are at the very back edge of the door trims (within the door jamb area) and then you've got a bolt to undo which is hidden behind a circular trim plug cover, and behind the door handles your remove the backing for the door handle and there's another bolt there! Also be carefull doing the drivers door cause when you've got everything undone you have to carefully pull it away enough to undone the wiring plug for the electric mirror switch, and then also if you've got courtesy lights in the lower part of the door trims they also have a wire plug that needs to be undone.

Cheers
Heath
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
sly
Sly like a G6

Thanks fellas, it turned out that getting the trim off was the easy part!

Getting to the window involved buying a set of female Torx sockets to remove the stereo speaker, this was easier said than done. After phoning 6 automotive/hardware stores, I found that we have a Bursons in Newcastle. They had 1 set in stock. Turned out that Toolies had a set too that they didn't know about - at nearly 3 times Bursons' price.

Then I had to drill out the rivets holding the door handle assy to the door, first with a 4mm drill then 8mm. Then I tried to source rivets big enough to put it back on. Again, no-one had anything remotely like what I needed. Ended up buying a Rivnut kit ($169!!!) which is a bit like a cross between a toggle (think Gyprock) and a rivet. It puts a nut behind the hole, into which you just screw in a standard metric-thread bolt.

Then getting the glass and window regulator out & back in again was a laugh a minute. The workshop manual says to operate the window control to raise or lower the glass to reach the clips & release the glass. So why would I be pulling the blasted door apart if the regulator was working? For some sort of masochistic jollies perhaps?

Bottom line, I finished the job about half an hour ago. Unfortunately no pix. Maybe next time...
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Happy to its done (I believe you have done it )
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 29-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Happy to its done (I believe you have done it )
UK
Old 31-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
urbancowboy

Glad you got it sorted.
btw. I used pliers to undo my factory speakers! saved me a whole heap of dosh!
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Default Re: Door Trim Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
Glad you got it sorted.
btw. I used pliers to undo my factory speakers! saved me a whole heap of dosh!
A 5mm or 3/16" socket works well too (just a little bit of a thread mine).
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 05:38 PM   #11
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
(just a little bit of a thread mine).
11.5 years goes outside the boundaries of "just"...

A+ effort nonetheless!
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 05:45 PM   #12
asimplelife
Donating Member2

And I am only just beginning...1-1/2 x AU's left to strip...plus some rebuildings
(plus a VW...but that's another forum)
Seeing as I use this forum so much, and I know so little, I figure the least I can do is put at least something back, and it seems better to just add to an existing thread, where relevant, rather than starting yet another one potentially.
As I am planning for my AU's to be my daily driver for the next 20 years, I need to make sure these forums are kept as up to date as possible
Old 19-07-2022, 10:15 PM   #13
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
And I am only just beginning...1-1/2 x AU's left to strip...plus some rebuildings
(plus a VW...but that's another forum)
Seeing as I use this forum so much, and I know so little, I figure the least I can do is put at least something back, and it seems better to just add to an existing thread, where relevant, rather than starting yet another one potentially.
As I am planning for my AU's to be my daily driver for the next 20 years, I need to make sure these forums are kept as up to date as possible

and you have enough spares
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 09:21 AM   #14
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
and you have enough spares
Only you and everyone else I know thinks that
And I already had a healthy pile of AU spare parts before I started on this phase =/
I must get round the wrapping up that build thread I had started around 4 years ago, with my sad and sorry tale of AU wagons.
2 users like this post: