Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 18-08-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
bwiemers
Starter Motor

Default Ford Fiesta 2012 LX Engine tapping noise

I have a Ford Fiesta LX 2012 (154,000k on odometer) that has had a loud tapping noise coming from the motor. It has the 1.6L Petrol engine, but the tapping makes it sound like a diesel.

The engine starts first time, it does not use water, or burn oil and it has not any oil in water and vice versa. I am experiencing no warning lights.

The only real issue is that it is quite sluggish when the air conditioning is on, and in summer it feels sluggish and intermittently stalls while idling, but it starts straight back up. The colder the weather the better the engine runs.

I had a mechanic look at the issue and they have told me that the engine needs replacing because it is worn out.

I'm tossing up whether it is worth replacing the motor, or if I should get another mechanic to take a look in case it is something that can be fixed without replacing the motor.

Has anybody else experienced this type of issue with your Fiesta? and if so, what caused the problem?
bwiemers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2023, 01:50 PM   #2
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Fiesta 2012 LX Engine tapping noise

What fuel do you use?
I had one of these-It just did not like 91 esp on hills with air con on.
If you run 91 run it on 95 see if it goes better.
Yeah I would get another mechanic to look at it. even if the engine is tired you can probably still get another 20000kms or more out of it.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2023, 08:32 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Tapping or more of a knocking noise?

18 seconds onwards, does it sound like that?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #4
bwiemers
Starter Motor

Thanks for your replies.

I'm running the E10 fuel in it (Ethanol). I've added Super premium (98) to the tank and will refuel with that next. I will get another mechanic to also look at it. I also checked the oil levels and made sure it was full (It was halfway between empty and maximum). The engine is at it's loudest until it warms up, but not so loud that you can hear it over the radio while driving.

I've recorded my engine, it sounds really loud and to be honest quite knackered. It sounds similar to the video that you posted as a reply above.

https://youtu.be/j39SNbW5Vys
Old 21-08-2023, 07:11 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiemers View Post
Thanks for your replies.

I'm running the E10 fuel in it (Ethanol). I've added Super premium (98) to the tank and will refuel with that next. I will get another mechanic to also look at it. I also checked the oil levels and made sure it was full (It was halfway between empty and maximum). The engine is at it's loudest until it warms up, but not so loud that you can hear it over the radio while driving.

I've recorded my engine, it sounds really loud and to be honest quite knackered. It sounds similar to the video that you posted as a reply above.

https://youtu.be/j39SNbW5Vys
That sounds like noisy/sticky lifters to me, usually rod knock is deeper, has it always been serviced on time or has it skipped services?

I'd be putting an oil flush through it, I've always been skeptical on this snake oil bull**** until I saw one work to clear up lifter noise on an abused old EF Falcon, it cleared the lifter noise after idling with it in the oil for about an hour.

This is the one you want - Purge-EF EF-850 by Fuel Treat Australia,

You can contact them by their website:

https://fueltreat.com/contact-fueltreat-australia/

Its not available over the counter at parts retailers, they primarily sell to OEMs.

You might need to buy a carton of 24, or maybe see if you can mix and match a carton of 24x with a mix of Purge-EF EF-850, Surefire FI-700 and Freerun FR-788 and then do all three on the car.

Put the Purge-EF in the car, let it idle in the driveway for an hour and then drop the oil, remove the oil filter, replace with a new one and then fill the oil with fresh oil.

I've got no affiliation of Fuel Treat Australia, but I have used their products and I've seen it clear up lifter noise on some absolutely abused ****boxes.

At most even if it doesn't work and its fingered, you'll only be down about $200 for the Surefire EF if you have to buy a carton, if its just sticky lifters then you got out of this cheaply.

EDIT: If you want I'll post you some free of charge, I have some on hand, that way it costs you nothing, private message me a postal address and someone to address it to.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 07:17 PM   #6
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That’s very good advice
That 1.6 Fiesta motor is a bit noisy when good sounded like noisy tappets but I m no tech
Be good to try this and get more life out of the car
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2023, 10:08 AM   #7
bwiemers
Starter Motor

Thanks Franco for the fantastic feedback and advice.

The Fiesta has been serviced regularly and I make sure it has oil in it. I will order some of that oil flush today and give that a go.

Thanks once again to everybody who has given advise. I appreciate it.