Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Fishman

Question Active Cruise

Hi all

When the active cruise applies the brakes to slow the car, does anyone know if the brake lights come on?

Cheers

Dan

Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Default Re: Active Cruise

Pretty sure that they don't no. As its not a massive brake change and something that can be described as 'releasing the accelerator'
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was told no as well. as for not being a massive change, try coming up behind a slow moving vehicle on a hill with ACC on and you'll notice a bloody big change!! lol...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
........and you'll notice a bloody big change!! lol...
I'll second that.
Nor can you mosey up behind someone, float out alongside, and gently pass...at the same speed as before. You need to move out to pass many metres before you think you need to in order to 'fool' the #*&^$#$ ACC.
You are on the wrong side of the road for too long for my liking. Even after reducing the 'sensitivity' to 'tailgate mode' it cuts in too early for me.
And it gets a bit confused on bends and with merging traffic from/near the left.....
Technology...bah, humbug !!
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
andrew67
Starter Motor

I had my wife driving behind me and she said the break light was coming on at the time that I noted adaptive cruise engaged the break. I think it would be unsafe for the traffic behind you to not be aware that your break was engaged
andrew67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Fishman

that last point is where I was coming from Andrew. I know my car is braking, but how the hell does the dimwit behind me knows the cars braking if the lights don't on.

The car does brake firmly especially when you're doing 110 and you come up behind someone doing 80 - 90 and don't realise it.
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Yep, I did that test soon after we bought the car, the ACC does activate the brake lights.

Don't forget you can override the ACC with the accelerator, to close the gap a little before overtaking... as long as it doesn't detect an imminent collision!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
heaps79
Starter Motor

Out of interest - how many bars do you have on between you and the car in front to keep a safe distance ? I currently have 2 bars but think I could prob even go to 1 bar? In the book it says 3 is recommended but it seems way to far away from the car in front.
heaps79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in my experience, each bar equates to approx. 1 second travelling time. this is from a base of 2 seconds (one bar) to 6 seconds (five bars). depending on traffic volume, i swap mine around. in heavy traffic i pull it in a little because a gap between you and the car in front invites idiots to jump in. when that happens on ACC, it has a panic attack and jams on the anchors!! in light traffic, i usually run on three bars...

the thing i do not like when using ACC is when following a vehicle onto a gentle right curve. if you are still travelling straight, it assumes the other vehicle is in your lane and pulls you up. if you have any lock/turn in the wheel however, it doesn't.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
kckepz
~ Loves his Mondeo ~

Adaptive cruising... a feature that is a must have for me in my next car. I can't live without it especially my holiday drives with the family.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

I'd get rid of it if possible......<beep> thing takes over...aaargh !!
Cruise ...yes.
Adaptive....pass on that one.

Just my 2c worth.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
kckepz
~ Loves his Mondeo ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
I'd get rid of it if possible......<beep> thing takes over...aaargh !!
Cruise ...yes.
Adaptive....pass on that one.

Just my 2c worth.
Just curious... may I ask why pass on the Adaptive? Cruising yes, but Adaptive just adds the convenience of slowing down without the drivers intervention whilst still allowing the car to cruise back to its set speed when the coast is clear again.

With just the normal cruise, the driver has to brake over riding the cruise mode and then have to reset it again when wanting to cruise.

Just my 5c worth with cruising. Like I mentioned... can't live without it for my long drives. I pretty much drove home to Sydney from the Gold Coast just by using my Adaptive cruising and changing my cruise speed with the the controls without having to use my foot pedals.... obviously, there were few stops here and there on the way home, but most of my drive I drove just on my adaptive cruising... loved it! Will do the trip again tomorrow if I can lol.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Why not adaptive? (i.e. can do without it....)
In my opinion, it comes on too early, and starts slowing down miles before necessary. I run with 1 bar gap, far enough away, but annoys me that I have to reset the favourite gap each time I turn cruise on (the car 'remembers' so many other things!!!).
It gets confused on bends....
It gets confused at other times too for no apparent reason
I previously cruised up behind people, moved out at an appropriate time when close enough to them, tickle the pedal to overtake quickly, floated past, and then back to what I had before. All about planning the passing maneouvre well in advance.
Now, I find I've already starting slowing down well behind people with heaps of room to spare, and then a big boot in the guts is needed to speed up again to pass them.

As for convenience of slowing down without the drivers intervention, lets' hope the driver is actually paying attention to their driving, not their iPhone / 6-stacker / passenger / navman ......

However, I DO LIKE being able to up/down speed with buttons...but when I want it.

Mostly....I just hate it taking over.
The same reason I dislike autos.

And I wish I could turn off some more of those damn chimes !!!
(like...'Why is it going bing this time?')
Old fashioned, I can live with THAT !!
end of rant..... each to their own.

Rating: 8.5/10 overall, a few minor niggles
Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
Mickmelb

I love the active cruise control my next car will definitely have to have it. I leave mine on 1 bar distance too unless its wet and it always remembers my setting. Once your use to it (22000kms so far) you can normally tell when it needs your intervention before it starts to slow down too much.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
Allusion

I love the adaptive cruise control too, I think it's one of the best things about the car and mines remembered where I've set it every time. I turned the chimes off too, the only time it beeps is when the collision warning goes off.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
kckepz
~ Loves his Mondeo ~

It's obvious most of us are different in preference. I too am a fan of the Adaptive cruising and for me, it works well. It'll definitely be a feature in my next car... actually, it's a MUST lol.