Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 17-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Cougar2K
Starter Motor

Default Bilstein or Koni?

Hey guys,

I'm in the midst of slowly resurrecting my Kat at the moment that's been off the road a while and getting some repairs done.

To save doing a job doubled over, I'm thinking of getting the struts all round swapped out with either Bilstein or Koni whilst work is going on.

The guy I'm getting to do some suspension work for me actually deals in both brands so any pro's or con's to either or opinions on either or??

Any particular brand or individual model of strut(s) best suited to the Cougars?

I know Dave has Bilstein's in his Kat and will advocate for the Bilsteins.

I know I may get directed to have a read over at newcougar.org which I have done briefly but I'd much rather hear from Aussies with their Kat's in Aussie road/travel condition experiences if possible.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice forthcoming.

Cheers

Cougar2K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
thearrow

Considering our cars are approacing 10 years old now and are only worth around 10 grand the issue is how much do you want to spend.

IMHO I would buy the cheapest considering that the stock ones have lasted this long then they can't be that bad either. I know you want to lower your Kat and it will look HEAPS better but still I would get the cheaper ones.

Don't forget you are going to have to replace a lot of other "stuff" as well (but you know this already).

How did you go with the exhaust??
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
REDDYZ

Paul, you dont drive an Eibach do you? If not then, any aftermarket struts are good enough. If you are going to replace struts with Bilsteins or Koni, you would need low profile springs unless they are adjustable or you own an Eibach Cougar. In case you have an Eibach and want to change struts, I would advise to go for Bilsteins (if you can source them) or Koni is great too. These are not just any brands, they have good reputation. Do not go for stock struts. I have replaced all struts around with brand new original sturts and no doubt they are great in handling, only problem is they dont last long. Handling wise they are too good with a good set of tyres around. They never let me down even with broken sway bar links. After all they are specifically designed and tuned for Eibach Cougars.

I have a set of original Eibach springs in good condition. I replaced all struts and changed the springs as well as they were on sale combined. So, I have a spare genuine Eibach springs set both front and rear. They have done around 100,000km. I was thinking to put them on Ebay as am travelling interstates and cant take them around with me. If you are interested let me know. If you have an Eibach, the dont bother.

Cheers
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
Cougar2K
Starter Motor

Hey Dave & Yogi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave,
I agree with your rationale in principle but as you'd acknowledged, I do have intentions on lowering the Kat in time so that's why I think it just makes sense to get this work done now and once over.
I've pretty much got all the various stuff I need together.
Just gotta get all the bits and pieces of the puzzle done now one step at a time.
First baby steps are organised for Saturday week... can't wait! ;)

Regards the exhaust, been in some to and fro email exchanges with one of their reps on the kit and waiting on a final confirmation on the matter and then should be getting something underway in the next week or two... Things got a bit held over coz I was also toying with the idea of getting one of their Y-Pipe setups...

Yogi,
No my Kat ain't an Eibach, it's 2000 model regular flavour.
Unfortunately the limited Eibach release run came out by Ford/FTE some months after I'd already purchased my Kat brand new back in the day....
There never was any hint of that in the pipeline otherwise I may well of held over my buy.

If I put the Bilstein or Koni struts in, it's with the view to putting lowered springs in too and new rims/wheels once all the other stuff I need to first get sorted out with the Kat is done.
It's the one thing which has always bugged me that the Cougars have such an aggressive stance by nature but sit just that bit too high when stock, specially over the front wheels.

Thanks for the offer Yogi, I'll keep them springs you have on hand in mind!

Cheers,
Paul
Old 26-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
REDDYZ

I had driven my mate's R34 fitted with Bilsteins in the weekend, unbelievably, the suspension was great. Feels very tight around corners and holds on firmly on high speeds over smooth bumps, and surprisingly ride comfort is smooth. Its quiet smooth while entering into petrol stations, bumpy driveways just great. It could be the suspension setup of R34s but the fact is it is fitted with Bilsteins. I had driven Konis few years back and they were great too but you will compromise comfort. So, I vote Bilsteins.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 29-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
Cougar2K
Starter Motor

Hi Yogi,

Thanks for your latest feedback and opinion.
Ironically the past couple days I had already settled my sights on looking to source some Bilsteins but it hasn't proven a successful venture just at the moment.

I mean I tried with a particular place which Dave had recommended me long time back and the quote I received on the 4 struts was very reasonable, however the shipping cost component was bloody outrageous which even the vendor has agreed but they've advised supposedly there's nothing they can do as for some reason they're locked into only one particular means of shipping or agent(s) etc!!

SO ultimately I'm just having to bide my time on the situation for the moment and continue looking around which is a bit frustrating I have to say especially as the struts now are pretty much the last piece of the puzzle on my agenda! ;-)
Old 29-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
REDDYZ

I know all about these struts. At certain time I tried to buy them and ended up with no stock or no supply from supplier. Alternately, you can try searching struts for Ford Mondeo (Australian) or Ford Contour (USA) both are same and they are Cougar's cousins with same parts. If you try for Cougar you wont find them coz I did tried all possible means before. Anyway, good luck and keep posted.