Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
baz

Default remote problem

I think my door remote has gone to heaven, I placed new battery in but I noticed that little bulb did'nt light up when I pressed a button.
Is there anyway of testing remote before I buy another.?

baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
REDDYZ

I would suggest you to try reprogramming it before you buy a new one. Its quite expensive. There is a procedure listed in the owners manual to program remote within the car. You dont need a tool or machine to program it. And thats not a bulb. It looks like LED but its not a bulb and never lights up. You can also try another batter, just in case.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

yours has a bulb on it that lights up? I don't remember my cougar remotes having that!

Also, are you standing next to the car? The crapness of the remote range is also a problem too

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
yours has a bulb on it that lights up? I don't remember my cougar remotes having that!

Also, are you standing next to the car? The crapness of the remote range is also a problem too
The remote seems to be dead, theres no click or anything, the bulb is on the inside where the battery is. but I don't know whether its supposed to light up or not.I'll try reprograming tomorrow

Last edited by baz; 03-08-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy

You dont see that so called bulb (which is not a bulb but a receiver/sender you find infront of TV remotes) unless you split open the remote from the key. You do that only to replace the battery. Trust me its not a bulb. What is the purpose of light that is enclosed inside that cant be seen. Purposefully or accidentally when you turn ignition on and off few times within 5 seconds, car enters into remote coding mode and it automatically erases all remotes of its type which are in its range unless you press a button on it which will recode the remote. Mind you the same remote is used on other ford models like focus etc. If your mate having similar remote standing close to your car while you are coding your remote, guess what? it will erase your mate's remote. I bought a spare one from Fraud for over $200 which looks exactly same but with ford badge on the rear. When I tried coding the new remote with the car, it erased the original remote. Reason because when the car enters remote coding mode it will erase all remotes in range and you have to press a button during this process on all remotes in range to recode to that car. After realising this went to wreckers and luckily found a focus there with similar key. I only took remote and had to leave key there because they need the key and its useless to me. Anyway, luckily they didn't charge for the remote. I now have 2 keys and a spare remote. Altogether 3 remotes and all of them work.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
baz

Thanks Yoga, I new how to program but was not sure about that bulb thing.
Do you know what car remotes will work with 2001 cougars.
Baz
Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
baz

I just reprogramed the remote and it worked, don't you think thats weird.
I might still try and get a spare though.Thanks guys for your help.
Baz
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
REDDYZ

Yeah thats weird unless you accidentally erase remote it shouldnt stop working. Anyway good that its working now. I got remote from 2008 focus and it worked. I think any ford remote that looks like Cougar's remote should work. If you manage to find one at any wreckers they will give away that for free.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
baz

Thanks Yoga, The only trouble is I live down near Phillip Island not a lot of wreckers down this way.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
REDDYZ

yeah I know what you mean. Next time when I go to wreckers I will try for one. Alternately, you can ring up wreckers around Melbourne and if anyone has that, you can either request them to mail it or pick up when you come to Melbourne.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
baz

Thanks, I don't get to Melbourne very much,if you should get one i will gladly pay you for your trouble.
That is another problem living in the country, I still have a B/W 9 inch TV,powered by LPG, I'm waiting for natural gas to go through before I upgrade. lol
Baz
Old 04-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
REDDYZ

Not at all a problem Baz, I dont mind posting it and you dont have to pay me for such small amount, it doesnt bother me. cheers.

Old 14-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
REDDYZ

Baz check this out.. I think you dont get a better deal than this for a remote and key.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-MONDEO-F...ht_1563wt_1139

Old 14-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
baz

Thanks Yoga, I looked at those but i found one on ebay in Aus, but i was outbid it was new and went for $33 with $8 postage, will keep looking, i'm not in any hurry