Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
ianxy351
more cubes please...

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his technical knowledge with members. 
Default XR5 Turbo - whats good, whats not

Hi.

I am considering an XR5 Turbo as my next daily driver. I've been into Falcons for years and have no real experience of the Focus. I'm interested in hearing what experiences have been had - good and bad. Are there any things I need to be alert to or look for?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

ianxy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

should head over to fordxr5turbo.com as well for questions.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
JoesAu

well ive driven my friends one on several occasions, for a factory car i reckon its awsome, the brakes are excellent 'seen the size of them things on the front' this one is lowered and it handles great, super sharp and very accurate. they handle very well standard to i must say, the 6spd is smooth as silk and changing gears is wicked,as for power we'v beaten a few SS 5.7l with it, it goes very well, hit 240km and still wanting to go more, the interior is spot on, sound sytem cranks for factory.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Ford Focus XR5T has no cons.

But in all honesty you need to drive one and make your own impression. As everyone is different.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
opium
XR Experiment

As I have one my opinion my be bias..
I have had a Territory then an XR6 now this little baby,
I am finding it hard to think of what Ill get next that can compare with this lil flying Fanta can..

Go take one for a spin and you will see for yourself...F@ckin Whoooooosh
opium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

If you are going to buy one, make sure the rear doors have power windows.

Its common where you are told it will, but it doesn't when you pick it up.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
opium
XR Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtremist

I have also heard that about the rear interior lights (roof).
Old 14-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The one annoying thing is no cruise control!! The new LV isn't even going to have it. The next problem you will face is finding one, you won't find an 08 in the current LT as they didn't bring any into the country in 2008. They are really starting to run dry. I have an 07 in an LS for some reason still if you are interested.

Nathan.
Old 14-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtremist

Bit of a beat up on a batch of cars that came thorugh 12 months ago isn't it? Hardly representative of the entire range.
Old 18-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
XR4568

FYI - new model goes up $500 to a RRP $36,990 and new DSG gearbox is not available.

Still pretty good value. I just hope the interior materials are much better
XR4568 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
ianxy351
more cubes please...

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his technical knowledge with members. 

Thanks for all the comments. When is the new model due to arrive? I was in at the ford dealer here on Saturday but he didnt say anything about a model change. He did say that ford were releasing about 30 XR5's a month to dealers, so I would probably have to wait to get what I wanted. He didnt have one available for a drive either - I dont think they stay around as showroom stock long!
ianxy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
Jess85

new XR5 comes out in a few months according to bf - ford salesman. also, they come with stripes like the xr4 - well its an option
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess85
new XR5 comes out in a few months according to bf - ford salesman. also, they come with stripes like the xr4 - well its an option
Eww. IMO anyway.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
champs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
Eww. IMO anyway.
Don't like the stripes on the XR ah.....

Well you can tell me all about it...... If you ever catch up to me...
champs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #15
trendkill555666

I took one for a test drive, the noise, my god the noise and power.....it would put a smile on anyones face. Now all I need is the money.

I like the stripes, better then the falcon stripes but they would have to be a deleteable option.
trendkill555666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Stripes are optional.

But you're right about the noise and the power!!
Old 30-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #17
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Pros :-
-Exclusivity
-Looks great
-Decent performer
-Plenty of character
-Yes, sounds great. Best sounding Ford for sale in Australia

Cons :-
-Not the fastest hot hatch
-Build quality a bit less than Golf GTI
-No 3-door available in Australia
KenLee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

5 doors still looks hot and is very practical and it's still one of the best point to pint, best handling, despite not being best in a straight line. It's hardly slow at any rate!!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
the best point to pint
Sounds like a hell of a of a quick/enjoyable way to get to the pub!

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #20
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had only ever driven and owned falcons - ED, AU , BA XR6t and downsized to a focus xr5t and have not looked back. They are spot on the mark.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #21
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Focus XR5T has got an awesome balance of straight-line and handling.
KenLee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Pros;

- Sounds great
- Looks great, especially in Red or Orange (My opinion, clearly!). Looks more special than a GTI, that's for sure
- Superb seats, great for the corners but also comfortable for the long drives
- Handling for this price is damn fine! Understeer prone, but still fun and entertaining. Great steering feedback and feel too
- Features most things you'd expect... but...

Cons;

- No cruise control... when most other Hot Hatches have this feature
- The XR4 will give you stiff competition in the twisties!
- Nose of the car is pretty heavy...
- Loss of middle-rear seat if you option up the leather
- Fuel consumption is quite high
- Other Hot Hatch competitors for a little more come with more features etc
- Used Golf GTIs can be picked up for a great price, meaning closer in comparison to a new XR5T if you don't mind getting a used car
- Other cars to consider; Golf GTI, RS Megane 225 Cup, Skoda Octavia RS, Subaru WRX, Mazda3 MPS, Holden Astra SRi Turbo or HSV VXR (admittedly, not a fan!)

Good luck with your quest for the right Vehicle! You won't be disappointed in the XR5T

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #23
opium
XR Experiment

After all the pros and cons have been listed...
-Who the hell needs cruise control anyhow?
-Competition maybe.... but XR5 FTW.
-Nose being heavy makes for a lot of grip.
-I have cloth five seat trim and I still dont dream about leather.
-WRX is not in the same family as the rest are FWD
Old 04-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #24
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opium
After all the pros and cons have been listed...
-Who the hell needs cruise control anyhow?
-Competition maybe.... but XR5 FTW.
-Nose being heavy makes for a lot of grip.
-I have cloth five seat trim and I still dont dream about leather.
-WRX is not in the same family as the rest are FWD
Hence I usually lurk in the dark - When you give non-biased opinions people love to jump back at you. Sure, this is a Ford Forum, but let's be honest - Ford is not the be all end all. Just going in and buying an XR5T before even suggesting looking at other manufacturers I think is wrong. Plus, if you do end up in the XR5T you know all the right reasons you bought one - and why you think it's better than the others.

- Cruise Control is pretty standard these days, even in base model hatches, not just the Hot Hatch versions. They work great too. Good for Syd-Melb trips, but also your normal open road highway cruising. True though, it's a convenience feature. Nevertheless, these days most Hot Hatches have it - the fact this doesn't is a let down.

- Competition is stiff and tough too. Look at all of them. You got the XR5T, as clearly it ticked all YOUR boxes. Might not tick the others. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have one either, as I would love the new Focus XR5T (as long as we get the new updated front here! It's hawt)

- Nose heavy also makes for lots of understeer

- Sure, you don't dream about it - but others on here have the leather option, and it is available. Surely people do THINK about the leather. I would love the leather. If it had 5 seats, I'd tick the option straight away

- WRX isn't in the same league? Why? It's a hatch. It's in the same price range too. It also targets the same audience. I hate it's looks and would never get one. Also pretty sure that some FWD Hot Hatches would give the WRX a run for it's $$$

A recent friend of mine purchase an XR5T and loves the thing to death. However, he was ****ed off when I asked him why he didn't look at a particular brand and he replied "cause it's expensive". When I said it starts at $37,990RRP with drastic discounts at the moment, he was a little peeved. He still loves his XR5T to death, and I think he has made the right decision. For the price you can't go much quicker for less, nor can you get such a great engine too! BFYB for sure...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)

Last edited by Teki04; 04-05-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #25
Rhubarb

who the hell NEEDS cruise control - no-one.

Who the hell WANTS and EXPECTS cruise control in a near $40k vehicle - nearly everyone !!!!!
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I for a fact know an MPS3 will more than keep a WRX honest... he he he.

I agree with Teki, you need to have an open mind.

Despite the lack of cruise control, I'd still buy the XR5 Turbo. Cruise control would be nice, nobody on the planet would say no to it were it available. It isn't and it's not worth the breath used to discuss it, since nothing we can say will change it. Ford's well aware of the competition and for its own reasons it is not available on the car. A small downside. For those who see it as a fatal flaw, there's plenty of great other cars to choose for a higher price. My best mate just bought a MPS3 because he MUST have cruise according to him. His choice. Also $4,000 dearer.

It's very well balanced - a good balanced of power/weight. Sure it could have more power or sharper handling, but in my opinion it'd then lose its ease of driveability. As it stands, it's the cehapest car in the class by a long shot, but most certainly up there with the Golf GTi as one of the best. Grips tenaciously, sounds like nothing else and is so easy to drive and very nice to live in.

Other things like leather being $2,000 vs the Golf's $3,000 is nice. Both have Recaros so apart from maybe a better quality leather on the GTi (I don't know, I'm guessing) it appears better priced in the Focus.

At any rate, it's serious bang for bucks. It's also rarer and thus potentially a bit more desirable as a hot hatch due to not being one of the other 134,578 Golf GTi's out there.

Given the choice over the entire market with $40k cash, it's my number 1. Little stunner.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #27
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I for a fact know an MPS3 will more than keep a WRX honest... he he he.

I agree with Teki, you need to have an open mind.

Despite the lack of cruise control, I'd still buy the XR5 Turbo. Cruise control would be nice, nobody on the planet would say no to it were it available. It isn't and it's not worth the breath used to discuss it, since nothing we can say will change it. Ford's well aware of the competition and for its own reasons it is not available on the car. A small downside. For those who see it as a fatal flaw, there's plenty of great other cars to choose for a higher price. My best mate just bought a MPS3 because he MUST have cruise according to him. His choice. Also $4,000 dearer.

It's very well balanced - a good balanced of power/weight. Sure it could have more power or sharper handling, but in my opinion it'd then lose its ease of driveability. As it stands, it's the cehapest car in the class by a long shot, but most certainly up there with the Golf GTi as one of the best. Grips tenaciously, sounds like nothing else and is so easy to drive and very nice to live in.

Other things like leather being $2,000 vs the Golf's $3,000 is nice. Both have Recaros so apart from maybe a better quality leather on the GTi (I don't know, I'm guessing) it appears better priced in the Focus.

At any rate, it's serious bang for bucks. It's also rarer and thus potentially a bit more desirable as a hot hatch due to not being one of the other 134,578 Golf GTi's out there.

Given the choice over the entire market with $40k cash, it's my number 1. Little stunner.
Thank's Matt!

That's just it - the XR5T is great when you are on a strict $40k budget. The competition on the road is at least another $5k more! And that's just it. It's the CHEAPEST of the lot, but yet it's not the worst. Goes to show $$$ doesn't get you the best ;)

Also, the GTI isn't a Recaro seat :( Unfortunately, not even the $3,000 Leather seats give you that option :( On the R32, these optional Leather seats from the GTI are standard. The AWESOME Recaros are $3,990 option. Ouch.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #28
zetec
Zoom Zoom

And as for that exhaust note...

It's this tuneful, almost singing note that's just so smooth. It's about as smooth as a gorgeous tanned brunette in a hot bikini at the beach, with honey pouring over her and lying in a bath of milk - albeit the milk is hot and she has a naughty glint in her eye. It's just so creamy and refined, with a gorgeous unique edge to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b35jv...eature=related

As for inside... has to be heard at full noise to be fully appreciated. But it's just as good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAK25gZpzAQ

Just for laughs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaED7EbHdG8 (the 2 cars I'd have in my garage given the choice - also 2 of the best sounding cars on earth!)

My favourite ST ad - from South Africa (despite the exhaust sound at the end being a tuned 6 cylinder by the sound of it, certainly NOT a T5 engine.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEDOIjPFE8
Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #29
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive been looking at buying one as well but i dont reckon they would be reliable in the long run most euro cars are crap when they get few kms on em there not made for aussie conditions....youd have to sell it when it runs out of warranty parts will be dear for them as well...ive seen alot of 2nd hand ones for sale latly as well they are starting to get cheap as below shows...

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...el=FOCUS&D=xr5

my question is why are they selling them????
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #30
Rhubarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint

my question is why are they selling them????

same reasons anybody sells any car i'd reckon. ie Perhaps they want to upgrade, downgrade, change due to extra kids, lost a job, divorce, gained a job with company car, interest rates + food + petrol prices, etc.

I don't think there's any more XR5s for sale (as a percentage of total XR5 population) than anything else. You'll get similar results for Golf GTI etc.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post