Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Cougar2001
Starter Motor

Default A/C Compressor for 2001 Cougar

Hi Everyone!

I need some help regarding finding a new a/c compressor for my 2001 Ford Cougar. I've been trying to source one for the last two weeks without luck and I am hoping someone who has had the same problem will be able to help me out.

The compressor is leaking and Ford tells me it needs replacing. They have provided me with a part number and diagram, however visually the diagram doesnt look the same as what I have on my car. The diagram seems to show the compressor hoses coming out the back of the compressor, however when I look under the bonnet the hoses appear to come off the top. Has anyone else come across this? I can find plenty of cougar compressors in the US, however none of them appear to be the correct one.

I have noticed on a previous thread that others have inadvertantly purchased the incorrect compressor from the U.S. I'm assuming it's because of this hose location issue.

Can anyone help me with any of the following questions:

1. Has anyone successfully purchased a suitable compressor from the U.S. or elsewhere? If so do you have a diagram, serial number or contact details/ website for the supplier.
2. Is it possible to repair/ rebuild the compressor? If so has anyone done this and can anyone recommend a repairer?
3. Does anyone know where I can located a second hand or brand new compressor in Australia. US Ford Service Parts does not have any new compressors in stock and FT Auto Salvage does not have any second hand ones in stock.

Any other suggestions/ advice?

Any help is appreciated.....

Cheers

Cougar2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
pcperfection
Cougar

I had mine rebuilt (seal kit etc) from a bloke at Milperra (Liverpool) for $270
then there's the fun and games getting the unit in and out, plan on your
car being off the road while it gets done too, this was 3 years ago and still
working fine.

Cheers
Mark
Old 04-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Cougar2001
Starter Motor

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your reply. Your info about getting the compressor rebuilt sounds promising. Do you know the name &/or number of the shop that did the work?
Thanks again.

Phil
Old 17-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Cougar2001
Starter Motor

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to post an update on the compressor enquiry that I made. Thank you to those that responded.

I ended up getting the compressor rebuilt by a fella in Sydney ~ Ampere Auto Electrical Services mob number 0400008877. The cost was:
*$500 for compressor rebuild
*$80 for bearing replacement (you may not need this)
*$420 Labour & Regassing
Total $1000

Please note the following:
Ford Australia gave us a part number and drawing for what they claimed to be the replacement we needed. This turned out to be completed wrong and gave us a huge stuff around. The main difference is that the compressor on my car had the hoses coming off the top of the unit whilst the part being recommended had the hoses coming off the back of the unit (this part can be found easily on the web in the US but is the wrong one). Dont make the mistake of buying a compressor from the US. I have heard that maybe you can buy the correct compressor Germany.

So my recommendation is to source a part from a wrecker or rebuilding your own compressor. Anything else is a drama and potentially risky as you may get the wrong part. I hear that there are up to 3 different compressors for the Cougar in the US and none of the ones I saw a diagram for were a match.

Good luck
Old 17-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Cougar2001
Starter Motor

Another note.... Mark from a previous post gave me a contact for a compressor repairer in Milperra, Sydney going by the name of J. L . Auto or J. C. Auto. When I called they mentioned that they don't do private jobs only trade.
Old 17-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
pcperfection
Cougar

Must be nice to be making that much money that you can turn work away,
must of tightened his rules in the last few years, he told me the same thing
but done it for me anyway
Cheers
Mark
Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Dadowiz
Cat Lover

Default Good info!

Great info guys, thanks you have made my search so much easier.

I was told my compressor is "lazy" when I went to get it regassed in Blacktown and that is needed replacing.

They reckon there is no point in regassing it. The bonus is that when they hooked up the gear to my AC lines they punctured the schroder valve with a cap on it at the very front of the engine bay, didnt tell me and when I went to get a second opinion the guy unscrewed it and gas started ****ing out of it.

Called the original guys and they apologised for not telling me but said since the compressor is stuffed they didnt think it matter.

Come to think of it perhaps they just said that about the compressor because of the damage they did..... hmmmm

Anyway does anyone know if the valve I described above is the high or low pressure valve? I need to order a replacement.

Cheers!
Dadowiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post