Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 31-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question warning system!

hey AFF,

im pretty sure your aware of certain people that have been postwhoring,

its really really annoying me , like everyones saying that its soo much better than the old ff, but it think its actually turning out the same, because its like a competition to get the most posts, and were getting really stupid comments. ive seen this system on another forum called traxxas online community, its a remote control car site, that has very strict rules, and the system works well.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...hreadid=199629

http://img159.exs.cx/img159/6739/screenshot6ee.jpg

im not saying be as strict as them, but i think some rules and a system like this would be good, and if someone breaks a rule, a moderator can give them the right amount of warning points, tell them to read the rules properly. if they exceed the warning points they may get perminatly banned or temperarily banned.

its just a suggestion, because i dont want this AFF to go bad

dan
WIKIDSTIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
Dodge
i like to be stroked

yep ur right , people are dribbling crap just to get over the 100 post mark, there is no winners, just a board full of dribble
Old 31-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

I like that system. A couple of other boards I post on operate in a similar way. The other thing they did to reduce crap posts was to remove the "post count" from showing when someone posts.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Instead of post count how about rankings? Like Ford Fan, Ford Enthusiast, Ford Nut, Ford Ledgend and so on, so people who have spent alot of time contributing to the site still get recognition for their input over the years. Also is it possible to carry post counts over from FF.com? Alot of people have put in alot of work there which would be nice be recognised.

My 8 bob finny.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donno
Alot of people have put in alot of work there which would be nice be recognised.
Not so sure this is exactly relevant....What work people put in on another site should have zero relevance to what happens on here. What is said & done on THIS SITE is much more important.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well about 170 people joined fordforums.com.au today, of course with any forum starting out there will be alot of whoring and saying gday etc, i reckon with time it will sort itself out. give it a few months
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 10:23 PM   #7
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't get too excited. There will be a lot of novelty int he 1st couple of days but it will settle down.
I don't like warning systems myself , preferring to deal with people on an indvidual level if they get too wh0re happy
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 11:13 PM   #8
Caviar
98 EL Fairmont

I reckon a ranking system (as mentioned before) based not on post count, but on contribution to the forums would go a little way to reducing post whoring but also go a long way to more people willing to help each other out. Similar I'm thinking to how ebay works.. but less involved... if you get my drift :P

eg. Joe Bloggs helps John Smith. John Smith clicks an icon which says Joe Bloggs was helpful. 1 point goes to Joe Bloggs for contributing.

Granted it'd be something that would have to be coded into the forums, but it might be something to look at in the future.
Caviar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 12:06 AM   #9
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Not so sure this is exactly relevant....What work people put in on another site should have zero relevance to what happens on here. What is said & done on THIS SITE is much more important.
I was meaning more so the community in general. Just give them a bit of a head start, it might stop some whorers trying to get their posts back up if its allready at a higher level if you catch my drift.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
Psycho Chicken
Banned

On another forum I'm on, posts in the off topic forum don't go towards your post count. Probably doesn't work, the OTF still gets whored to death. However you can tell the genuine contributors to the forum from the OTF whores (which I'm gulity of, don't even venture out of the OTF).

The same forum also has a set of rules, and a strike system. Various things earn you various ammounts of strikes, 4 and you're out of there for a holiday. I think the best effort was 42 strikes with one post lol. But it's not a good system, different mods read the rules differently and it can get messy. I say leave it as it is, it works.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #11
mick.wheelz

On the subject of post wh0ring, i agree that it is just the novelty of having a new forum that is making people do it I know i have settled down and stoped wh0ring, i would imageine most of the others will too.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #12
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It usually finds a level sooner or later. We will have quiet words to anyone that makes a habit of it but I'd really prefer to avoid systems to exercise control It takes the personal touch away and I am sure the mods are capable of dealing with it in a sufficinetly tactful manner.

The recognition of valued contributors, on the other hand, is an excellent idea. People deserve to be recognised for the value and quality of their input and we will see what can be done - maybe something along the lines of the (tried but not used) mentor tags used at FF.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #13
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
I wouldn't get too excited. There will be a lot of novelty int he 1st couple of days but it will settle down.
I don't like warning systems myself , preferring to deal with people on an indvidual level if they get too wh0re happy
I agree Jeff, thats a good way to work it out. IRC is the ideal place to chat when it's all set up. That way if you miss the forums for a couple of days or so you dont have to scour through pages of posts that may not be relevant to the topic
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post