Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Exclamation Unplanned outage

Good morning

Firstly, let me apologise for the extended server outage that we have experienced this morning but it's the result of a comedy of errors.

By way of background, a ticket was originally raised with our ISP to upgrade RAM from 8Gb to 16GB in the server for action between 0100-0400 yesterday morning. This was completed successfully within the agreed change window at about 0100 AEDST.

There was a minor outage of <10 mins at about 0200 but the server came back up.

The server was then down from 0400-0900 yesterday which wasn't noticed until 0830 at which time a request for reboot was lodged and the reboot performed. I ran some simple diagnostics and checked error logs but could find no cause. 0400 is the time when the backup and several housekeeping tasks are performed and server load tends to be very high.

The server crashed again at 2330 last night and I contacted the support team and advised that the server was down again and that I wanted diagnostics run when it was restarted to find the root cause of the problem. I received the following email from support at 00:04 this morning.

Hello,
I apologize for the issues you are having since the RAM upgrade. We can check the hardware as requested but we will need to bring the server offline for 1-2 hours. We can do this 24/7, just reply back letting us know what time you would like us to proceed.

This email came from their Dedicated Customer Care so I replied to say that as it was 0100 here (when I saw the email) it was fine to proceed as this was out of hours.

Stupidly, despite saying "just reply back" I have since noted that this is a no reply email address and I was supposed to go into the ticket and update it.

I checked the server at 0200 before heading to bed and the server was still down.

Anyway. as at 0700 this morning when I got up the server was still down, nothing had been done and it hadn't even been rebooted. I contacted support and spoke to an agent who advised that because the ticket had been reopened and I hadn't replied to the message above nothing had been done - to quote:

I don't think the tech was aware that it was already down. I will reopen it and add that information

It's like Keystone Cops. At the very least it should have been rebooted and it would probably still be up and we could have scheduled the maintenance window in non production hours. As of 0800 local it was still down and I again contacted the support team to be advised that they were running diagnostics on new RAM after the original upgrade RAM failed the test - this despite my request that the diagnostics not be performed so that we could do it in a planned maintenance window out of normal hours.

I'm happy to take responsibility for not noticing that the email was from a no reply address but, in this era, it isn't technically hard to route email to agents and we should be well past using no-reply addresses. Not a lot of point sending the question in the email if you don't want a response via the same channel.

I have escalated the issue to the support manager as to not do anything for 7.5 hours and make no further contact is unacceptable. Hopefully, the server will return to a stable state now that the new memory has been tested and we shouldn't experience any further issues.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Unplanned outage

its all cool russ

we all make mistakes in our lifetime more so at 1 am and you prob had a busy day with the heat and all

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all good. A bit of down time is no drama for me, I actually did some work on my stuff instead of reading about it...

I agree on the email - I hate no reply channels myself.
danmc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

No Problemo

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gool ol' rasing tickets and reopening to get anything done.

All good, probably more frustrating for yourself.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

The admin team do a spectacular job keeping this site going Russ. Don't beat yourself up over a small glitch.

Might be worthwhile looking at Amazon Web Services when your current platform reaches end of life. Capacity on demand, cloning, backups etc are a lot easier. http://aws.amazon.com
Old 11-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
The admin team do a spectacular job keeping this site going Russ. Don't beat yourself up over a small glitch.

Might be worthwhile looking at Amazon Web Services when your current platform reaches end of life. Capacity on demand, cloning, backups etc are a lot easier. http://aws.amazon.com
Amazon don't backup.
Cloud has its place and trust me, its not all beer and skittles.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Amazon don't backup.
Cloud has its place and trust me, its not all beer and skittles.
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS...AQ.Backup.html

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS...Instances.html

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS...eInstance.html

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS...upRestore.html

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/la...eSnapshot.html
Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

No fuss, no muss.

Gave me some time to do some research for a project.

The performance seems very good, are you sure you didn't put a big roller cam in it too ?
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

these thing happen you do a great job keeping the forum running

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Interesting - their tech and sales reps told me different, just last week.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Interesting - their tech and sales reps told me different, just last week.
They won't take responsibility for the data, nobody ever does. You will need to have off site copies of you data ie be able to rebuild the environment from scratch.