Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #121
prasac
Banned

Default Re: TRP Racing Ford Falcon XR6T runs 9.1@159mph, update 8.48@165mph.

i know another shop with a full on race head done, i know they want to push the 1500hp mark. one of the owners has a really nice 3/4 chassis Mustang that they could put it in.

im surprised we haven't seen more. everyone seems to jump on the rotary or 2JZ wagon, you don't see many in Australia go a Ford 6-cylinder or DOHC V8. yet they are capable of so much hp.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #122
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
i know another shop with a full on race head done, i know they want to push the 1500hp mark. one of the owners has a really nice 3/4 chassis Mustang that they could put it in.

im surprised we haven't seen more. everyone seems to jump on the rotary or 2JZ wagon, you don't see many in Australia go a Ford 6-cylinder or DOHC V8. yet they are capable of so much hp.
Very true. The big challenge with the I6 is that they dont seem to want to rev much. Power really tails off over 6500rpm.

I hear that some workshops are looking to de-stroke the motor from 4l back to 3.6 or so. Will be interesting to see how it all goes.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #123
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYC06T
Very true. The big challenge with the I6 is that they dont seem to want to rev much. Power really tails off over 6500rpm.

I hear that some workshops are looking to de-stroke the motor from 4l back to 3.6 or so. Will be interesting to see how it all goes.
they do the same with the 5.4 Ford V8's in the US, they de-stroke them so they can spin to 10000rpm i suppose it will work, but you sacrifice a bit of torque also.

what do you rev yours to?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #124
CYC06T

Quote:
they do the same with the 5.4 Ford V8's in the US, they de-stroke them so they can spin to 10000rpm i suppose it will work, but you sacrifice a bit of torque also.

what do you rev yours to?
yeah - I think it is a new area and I believe the hope is to spin one of these to 9000rpm like an RB or 2J. Mine revs out to 7500 but to go beyond that the power/torque just isnt worth it. Not in my setup anyways. Neither is the lifespan of the engine, so I keep that in mind, cos I dont wanna rebuild it every 5 mins.

I will even work on shifting earlier on my next few runs to see if I can get make sure to use the torque-iest part of the rev range and maximise the 2nd half of the track mph.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #125
prasac
Banned

ok, kool. what's the converter locking up at around 6500rpm?

i have the same sentiments, why push an engine if you don't need to. however, if the 4L is anywhere near as tough as the Ford V8's they can take some punishment. 4.6L Ford V8's are spinning to 10,000rpm 52psi making 2500hp and they are doing 70-100 passes before pulling them down. 1500hp engines i hear doing over 200 passes. the little Toyota engine in the Capri has done over 150 dyno and 1/4 mile passes, been very good so far touch wood. the other brothers 2JZ has done close to 300 dyno runs and 1/4 passes it's crazy how strong these new DOHC motors are.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #126
CYC06T

Quote:
ok, kool. what's the converter locking up at around 6500rpm?

i have the same sentiments, why push an engine if you don't need to. however, if the 4L is anywhere near as tough as the Ford V8's they can take some punishment. 4.6L Ford V8's are spinning to 10,000rpm 52psi making 2500hp and they are doing 70-100 passes before pulling them down. 1500hp engines i hear doing over 200 passes. the little Toyota engine in the Capri has done over 150 dyno and 1/4 mile passes, been very good so far touch wood. the other brothers 2JZ has done close to 300 dyno runs and 1/4 passes it's crazy how strong these new DOHC motors are.
Truthfully I am not sure what revs the converter is locking up at.

I am sure the motor can take some punishment, we have certainly had that in mind when we built it, but given it was the first one for TRP, we couldnt know until we got it out there and seen what happens. At the moment the motor is making good power on relatively low psi and seems to be reliable, now that we have good oil and cooling setup. It is achieiving the initial goals we have for it, so at the moment I am not keen to really lean on it too hard and risk destroying it and running up a big $ tab that I cant really afford right now. If the car can deliver 100+ passes at this power level I would be stoked.

Having said that......as with all racing, if we can get it heading back towards a 7 sec pass, I am sure I will bend a little and have a crack at laying one down. It would be a big achievement!

One step at a time. I find it is easy to talk about stuff and a little harder to make it a reality. I also see that people wanting to make a big statement also tend to have more failures than wins and I dont want the car to cop a hit like the Turbowerx VL did at Jambo and destroy all the hard work in one go.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #127
prasac
Banned

you got the right people behind you that's the first step, everyone has to start from somewhere. the bad thing is things cna go wrong, R&D isn't cheap.. it's good to have a little competition and personal goals also, makes you push that little bit harder, though that can get you in the end also
Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #128
QIK1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be interesting to see how these engines go with a few more revs (9000), a better ability to breath and 50 plus psi, I think we can expect to see that 7's aren't that far away with reasonable reliability. Money wise it's probably out of the normal persons grasp but it should be possible.

Phil did trp have to change much in the bay to fit the 47 and have they turned it up yet to see how it goes on the rollers?
Full weight, IRS, Pump E85, 17in Radials

[/CENTER]
QIK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #129
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK1
It will be interesting to see how these engines go with a few more revs (9000), a better ability to breath and 50 plus psi, I think we can expect to see that 7's aren't that far away with reasonable reliability. Money wise it's probably out of the normal persons grasp but it should be possible.

Phil did trp have to change much in the bay to fit the 47 and have they turned it up yet to see how it goes on the rollers?
will be interesting when someone decides to invest. i've become very interested in these engines of late.

you don't see many drag cars with big power getting run up on the dyno. might do a few passes to get a base but the rest is done at the track dependant on condition etc. then again maybe it was completely tuned on the dyno

going off the mph and weight of the car it'd be making around 1300-1400hp @ the engine.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #130
CYC06T

Quote:

Sure will. I have a feeling it will take a workshop car to really push these engines and car setups to an extreme level. I guess the question always will be whether you do it in such a heavy car, or if you go straight to a tube chassis car and go for really impressive ETs. Heavy cars just put so much more stress on all other components.

We didnt change anything to fit the 47 in. It fit when all of the original factory gear was still there ie. the power steering reservoir and the radiator overflow tank. All we had to do wa put a bit of thought into the manifold design to make sure the wastegate was reasonably accessible and that we could shut the bonnet.

Honestly we havent turned it up on the rollers. We couldnt get it to stop spinning the tyres at 36-38psi, so we never fed a heap more boost into it to see what was going to happen. We really wanted to get the car out there and just see what times it could pull. Obviously its working reasonably well so far,and Im sure it did surprise the boys that it went under 8.50 pretty easily, so we know we are atleast heading in the right direction. The plan was always for me to get behind the wheel, and we all knew that it would take a few meets to get up to speed, so there hasnt been a need to revisit the dyno yet. I would probably want to invest in a billet crank to feel comfortable in really turning up the wick.

If I were able to go better than the 8.48 in the next few meets, depending on how much better we run, I would have a think about where to next. I would probably look at stripping more weight out before just pumping more boost in. Maybe I'll just say F@ck it and do both....he he he
Old 03-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #131
CYC06T

Quote:
will be interesting when someone decides to invest. i've become very interested in these engines of late.

you don't see many drag cars with big power getting run up on the dyno. might do a few passes to get a base but the rest is done at the track dependant on condition etc. then again maybe it was completely tuned on the dyno

going off the mph and weight of the car it'd be making around 1300-1400hp @ the engine.
You are right, only a few pulls on the dyno to make sure everything was crisp and it could rev out. The rest at the track at this stage. You could put it on a big hub dyno if you wanted to tune it completely on the dyno, but track conditions differ a heap, so some flexibility by tuning on the day is pretty handy and has to be done anyways.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #132
QIK1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dlm will be Using the new 3.6 eng in there car. Already has all the fruit and then some but still based on the manual but once theyve got what they want out of that there's already an auto waiting to go in and get real serious.

I was always told losing weight is almost as good as more hp so no doubt when yas go down this path if yas go all out there will be alot to gain particularly out of the hole with abit of a change to the setup no doubt. As for more power and turning the wheels we're still struggling with ours, we're havin to strap down bloody hard and use 5th gear and even then it's still turning the tyres high in the rpm, that's when we're not breaking stuff lol so can only imagine the fun ya havin with yours!!!

[/CENTER]
Old 03-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #133
sideways82
loving the turbo

5th - no wonder you break shiz all the time
12.48@113.92 with 277rwkw
12.27@119.1 with 320rwkw
sideways82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #134
CYC06T

Quote:
Dlm will be Using the new 3.6 eng in there car. Already has all the fruit and then some but still based on the manual but once theyve got what they want out of that there's already an auto waiting to go in and get real serious.

I was always told losing weight is almost as good as more hp so no doubt when yas go down this path if yas go all out there will be alot to gain particularly out of the hole with abit of a change to the setup no doubt. As for more power and turning the wheels we're still struggling with ours, we're havin to strap down bloody hard and use 5th gear and even then it's still turning the tyres high in the rpm, that's when we're not breaking stuff lol so can only imagine the fun ya havin with yours!!!
Yeah, I had heard thats what was being used to power the beast. So the previous envy car is now a DLM car that has gone back to manual to clean up and will then go the auto. Looks like there are big plans in place - like all, I am interested to see what happens with a de-stroked motor.

As for your build, I completely understand as far as the dyno goes. The torque and aggressive power delivery makes it really hard to get an accurate run. Id love to say that breaking stuff is half the fun, but it is also frustrating, time consuming and expensive, so there are downsides.

It will be good to get your gearbox sorted and back on the rollers. Cant wait.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #135
prasac
Banned

who is DLM? is that Dragon's Lair Motorsports or something? they are putting their engine into the Envy Dyno old car?

i have seen so many people damage engine and break parts on the dyno they get all upset. i tell them, imagine if they were out at the track and it happened. it could cost you your life, let alone the car. 300km/h + slicks + water/oil/coolant, usually doesn't end very happily that's why we always tend to go overkill on everything.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #136
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
who is DLM? is that Dragon's Lair Motorsports or something? they are putting their engine into the Envy Dyno old car?
Yeah, Dragon's Lair Motorsport.

He's using his own car, I think he's also got bits and pieces floating around in 2-3 others including one of the guys from Elite....

Check the 600kw+ section on xr6t forum plus their sponsor section if you want more info on them...
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #137
QIK1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways82
5th - no wonder you break shiz all the time
Have only used 5th the day we broke stuff and only because it's pretty much 1:1 with the diff gears we have at the moment.

Dlm are using there own car for the main build but also have another car with all the fruit as well but it'll be slightly different. As for other gear I'm pretty sure the staged kits have been put in boges car from elite and jamies from fpt.

[/CENTER]
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #138
CYC06T

Quote:
Have only used 5th the day we broke stuff and only because it's pretty much 1:1 with the diff gears we have at the moment.

Dlm are using there own car for the main build but also have another car with all the fruit as well but it'll be slightly different. As for other gear I'm pretty sure the staged kits have been put in boges car from elite and jamies from fpt.
I knew Spiro would be bringing his car out with a 3.6Lt in it push for the fastest manual and then the fastest auto cars.

I heard at Jambo that Envy were bringing out a 3.6lt as well, but there may have been confusion with DLM.

I saw on another forum that DLM and ASSIST were building something. Isnt ASSIST the numebr plate on the envy car?

Its all good - keeping the competition guessing is all part of the fun. Its great to see more R&D into these cars and some new combos coming out. Keeps the sport healthy and alive and intersting.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #139
prasac
Banned

i haven't heard of DLM before are they new on the scene or have they had another car out before? i'd be interested to see if Errol Quartermaine steps up also. he has been running 7's for a few years when it was in a Torana, now has the Falcon also.

ASSIST is the Envy Dyno car.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #140
CYC06T

Quote:
i haven't heard of DLM before are they new on the scene or have they had another car out before? i'd be interested to see if Errol Quartermaine steps up also. he has been running 7's for a few years when it was in a Torana, now has the Falcon also.

ASSIST is the Envy Dyno car.
Yeah DLM is new on the scene based out of Qld. They have a cool website and are really progressing at setting up a ford turbo 6 performance outfit. Their website is worth a look, very well set-up.

Spiro, the owner (or one of the owners) is well known in the scene and has a very nicely prepared XR6 turbo. It has yet to make its debut with its new setup, but I am sure it will cause a splash from what I have seen. The guys have close ties to Brad from Atomic.

I have seen a few comments about a relationship between DLM and ASSIST, so not sure if the Envy guys are doing some work together??? Time will tell.

I havent seen/heard anything much more about Errol since he ran the 7.80s a while back. A full tube car like his/yours would be off the chart.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #141
prasac
Banned

ok kool, it's good to see new blood out there. helps push everyone harder.

i think Errol races in Super Comp they are limited to a certain amount of boost that they are allowed to run, they are cube to weight and they run on an index (he might be holding back so as not to lower the index). yeah i don't remember hearing anything better than a 7.80@178 in the Falcon.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #142
CYC06T

Quote:
ok kool, it's good to see new blood out there. helps push everyone harder.

i think Errol races in Super Comp they are limited to a certain amount of boost that they are allowed to run, they are cube to weight and they run on an index (he might be holding back so as not to lower the index). yeah i don't remember hearing anything better than a 7.80@178 in the Falcon.
Errol's definitely one to keep an eye out for in the future. He's really the only one running a twin turbo setup at a serious level.

I am looking to get the car out to the Full Throttle Friday on the 18th if all goes to plan. Should be good!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #143
prasac
Banned

see ya there. pretty sure we are going out, think just going to leave it on the United E85 tune and see how we go. then test out the new fuel, we created our own little ethanol mix, so looking to see how it compares with the Platinum E85 race fuel we used to run. have about 400L it works out about 25% cheaper, higher octane and hopefully more consistent
Old 07-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #144
CYC06T

Quote:
see ya there. pretty sure we are going out, think just going to leave it on the United E85 tune and see how we go. then test out the new fuel, we created our own little ethanol mix, so looking to see how it compares with the Platinum E85 race fuel we used to run. have about 400L it works out about 25% cheaper, higher octane and hopefully more consistent
Sounds good on mixing your own blend on the E85. We get ours from a local guy. I dont know the details, but it is about $55 for 20 litres. I have seen VPW in VIC do a 205lt E85 drum for $450 odd. It is supposed to be comparable to a 110 octane rating. I have considered getting a drum of it to have at home. Not sure on the octane rating of the juice we are currently using. I will try and suss out.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #145
prasac
Banned

as long as it's pretty consistent within a few % all the time that is the main thing especially when racing. we used to run the Caltex E-Flex on the street we checked the ethanol it was 72%, so far the United E85 has been the most consistent it runs between 80-90% ethanol. the ethanol likes it a little fat, we usually run 11.5-11.8 @ the track, on the dyno was showing most power around 11.9-12.1 AFR but no point runing it that lean for an extra 10rwhp we have run as fat as 10.1 and as lean as 14.0 on the track, it was losing a few mph. luckily on the 14.0 we didn't lose more than just a few mph, the E85 and engine proved just how resilient it was that run. Joe saw the AFR's that high but it wasn't popping and it was still pulling so he kept into it
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #146
CYC06T

Quote:
as long as it's pretty consistent within a few % all the time that is the main thing especially when racing. we used to run the Caltex E-Flex on the street we checked the ethanol it was 72%, so far the United E85 has been the most consistent it runs between 80-90% ethanol. the ethanol likes it a little fat, we usually run 11.5-11.8 @ the track, on the dyno was showing most power around 11.9-12.1 AFR but no point runing it that lean for an extra 10rwhp we have run as fat as 10.1 and as lean as 14.0 on the track, it was losing a few mph. luckily on the 14.0 we didn't lose more than just a few mph, the E85 and engine proved just how resilient it was that run. Joe saw the AFR's that high but it wasn't popping and it was still pulling so he kept into it
You wouldnt want to run at an AFR of 14 for too long, or there will be a nice big BANG Im sure. Damn.....

I have some spare United E85 at home, although I am not sure how long you can have it sitting there without using it?? Its been there since early this year.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #147
prasac
Banned

Quote:
You wouldnt want to run at an AFR of 14 for too long, or there will be a nice big BANG Im sure. Damn.....

I have some spare United E85 at home, although I am not sure how long you can have it sitting there without using it?? Its been there since early this year.
it was the whole pass he knows the car and engine very well, he backs off soon as he hears/feels something he doesnt like. the car is like his baby he would never intentionally hurt it

as long as it's sitting off the ground and not sucking in moisture it can last a while. i have heard years, but, i'd be tempted to get a new batch every 6-12 months. more on the 6 month side.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #148
CYC06T

Quote:
it was the whole pass he knows the car and engine very well, he backs off soon as he hears/feels something he doesnt like. the car is like his baby he would never intentionally hurt it

as long as it's sitting off the ground and not sucking in moisture it can last a while. i have heard years, but, i'd be tempted to get a new batch every 6-12 months. more on the 6 month side.
Fair enough - I know how it feels to love your car like its a child or something! I wouldnt intentionally do anything to damage it!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #149
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough - I know how it feels to love your car like its a child or something! I wouldnt intentionally do anything to damage it!
i love my little nugget also. only bad thing is it's a Dodge and not a Ford
Old 07-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #150
CYC06T

Quote:
i love my little nugget also. only bad thing is it's a Dodge and not a Ford
They are hard not to love - as you put so much effort (and coin) into em!

Any eta on when yours will be making a track appearance? It is such an epic build.