Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 31-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Default Ford targets mid-size Mondeo

Looks like it probably will come our way.

Ford targets mid-size Mondeo

The next-generation Mondeo launches in early 2007, and Ford Australia admits the mid-size sedan is at the top of its shopping list, reports JEZ SPINKS. more

Source SMH

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Lets just hope Ford can get it here for a competitive price...we don't need a Vectra in the Ford range. Would be great to see the diesels come as well.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Boss 290

why would you need this mondeo? we already have the focus if you want bigger the xt or xr6 are not much bigger in size...i was surprised to see the gt and focus next to each other and its not a huge difference in size
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

So you don't get raped by petrol prices. With the 2L engine they get mid 7L/100km in the combined cycle.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
So you don't get raped by petrol prices. With the 2L engine they get mid 7L/100km in the combined cycle.
Not with the extra weight they wouldn't

Although it would be better than a Falcon, as well as a lot of people don't want a car thats a Taxi for their family car. Something about the Mondeo that will have prestige and exclusitivity.

Last edited by BlackLS; 31-10-2006 at 09:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
why would you need this mondeo? we already have the focus if you want bigger the xt or xr6 are not much bigger in size
The Focus is under powered for general family type duties (ie. when fully loaded.)

No offence, but some consumers (ie. me for one!) would never buy a new Falcon or Commodore. Too big, too heavy, and they're still not up to par in the handling and build quality stakes compared to the imported competition (my opinion after driving a current Falcon, haven't driven a VE Commodore yet....)

I would consider the new Mondeo however. _2:
Old 31-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #7
Boss 290

meh more money wasted on buying a new model when they can just improve the excisting products
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 12:44 AM   #8
simonr
Focus Rookie

Mondeo = HOT

Falcon XT = NOT (car you would drive if you were a government worker or if you were a taxi driver)
Old 01-11-2006, 12:45 AM   #9
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
meh more money wasted on buying a new model when they can just improve the excisting products

It is more likely to be cheaper to buy an existing model...!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
OZXR4
formally ozmondeo

The new model is built on the foundations of quality, lol. just blowing my own trumpet. bring on the new mondy
Old 02-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be blunt and honest, the new Mondeo would have to be a HUGE improvement over the last model sold here. I owned one of the HE ST24 V6 models from new and our Mazda 6 is miles ahead in every area (particularly handling / steering feedback.)

Having said that, I do believe the new Mondeos would be competitive (from what I've read?); the price is the only thing I can see being an issue.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #12
FocusLX06

Ford's not going to be able to compete with the Korean built GM Daewoos (sold as Holdens) on price. But cars with the same build quality (mazda6, camry) should be easy to compete with.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:45 PM   #13
OZXR4
formally ozmondeo

well of cause the mazda 6 was better it was 3 to 4 year younger and had more tech in it to make it better. you cannot compare cars from different years as tech is updated to often.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry but my 1995 model Peugeot would run rings around my ST24 in the handling department- I regret the day I sold it for the ST24..... The ST24 was never as good as it was hyped up to be. I even spent lots of $$$ on the suspension, but it's hard to get steering feel / feedback when it's obviously an engineering issue. With the stock shockers and rear swaybar it was actually very nervous on any higher speed sweepers.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

The mondeo is VERY popular in the europe so they must be doing something right. The mondeo sold here might not have been the best (I don't know because ive never sat in one) but who cares this is a brand new model (I beleive we got the mk1 and this will be the mk3). The EA was a lemon so should be discount all falcons from them on because of it?

Goodwork on comparing an old car to a new one :
Old 06-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod
To be blunt and honest, the new Mondeo would have to be a HUGE improvement over the last model sold here.
No worries there, the current model Mondeo that we get here in NZ is a huge improvement over the Mk1 that Australia got. The upcoming Mk3 Mondeo is said to be a big improvement over the current one, which should put it back at the top of the mid-sizers (inc BMW 3-series).
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #17
OZXR4
formally ozmondeo

the car pictured is not the mk3 it is the mk4 the mk3 has a front like the new focus. what we will get is the mk4 NZ has the mk3 now.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Lets just hope Ford can get it here for a competitive price...we don't need a Vectra in the Ford range. Would be great to see the diesels come as well.
If Ford can get it here, for Similar/slightly less $$ then the Mazda 6, then it will sell pretty well, then all they need to do is convince people that the Quality is as good as the Mazda 6/Euro/Camry!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #19
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The mondeo is VERY popular in the europe so they must be doing something right. The mondeo sold here might not have been the best (I don't know because ive never sat in one) but who cares this is a brand new model (I beleive we got the mk1 and this will be the mk3). The EA was a lemon so should be discount all falcons from them on because of it?

Goodwork on comparing an old car to a new one :
Try reading the whole lot next time. And as you said YOU'VE never driven one so YOU are hardly qualified to make any comments.... Did you also read the part about my OLDER Peugeot running rings around my NEWER ST24? Guess not....

For your information we got the HB, HC, HD and HE model Mondeos here - that's a fair few updates. The ST24 was the top of the range as far as sports models went in the HE range, so strangely enough I expected it to handle well off the showroom floor compared to my five year older Peugeot 306.

BTW Commodores are popular here - does that make them a good drive? :

Think before you type.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #20
doctor

I think the new Mondeo is a nice looking car that should do well here, if Ford oz can market it properly.
Look at how well the mazda 6 and accord euro are selling here at the moment and it would be crazy for ford not to get into the mid size car band wagon.
We also have to remember that not everyone wants to own a big 6cyl as a there daily drive!
Ford sell quite a few festiva and focus, granted there are not a match for toyota in the small car stakes, but then again who is.
With a viable good looking mid size car, ford can at least cover all bases and give potential customers a wider choice of vehicles instead of relying on the falcon and territory as there bread and butter products.
doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #21
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford did bring the Mondeo Wagon in, you could see them rationalising the range by ditching the Falcon Wagon, and just having Mondeo and Territory RWD as the wagon's...... that would give them potentially a slightly better business case...
Mondeo wagon, isnt too far shy of the Falcon in most dimensions except width anyway....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #22
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford actually ditched the wagon on the old Mondeo range around the HD model- I imagine they'd be hesitant to bring it in initially? I can't see them taking risks with losing any Falcon sales to an import either.

Here's a thought- a diesel Mondeo to counter the diesel Commy that's just been announced? It could get rushed through and beat the Commy which is rumoured around Sept next year? That's if the average Aussie can get over the whole FWD phobia thing..... _
Old 09-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #23
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i believe so the ford market doesnt loose out on Falcon sales that the Mondeo range May just be Diesel...(not sure its thats what you said Murcod...sorry) would explain why they are bringing the mondeo out again considering its a semi large car....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #24
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
BLAH BLAH BLAH
How about you read what I wrote. It doesn't matter if I havn't driven one because I didn't make a comparison or form a conclusion about the car at all. I simply stated the FACT that it is an excellent seller in Europe. And that the model going on sale if VERY different to the one on sale previously.

You have NEVER driven the mondeo model that will be on sale here so you hardly qualify to make comments. Please follow your own advice.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #25
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
How about you read what I wrote. It doesn't matter if I havn't driven one because I didn't make a comparison or form a conclusion about the car at all. I simply stated the FACT that it is an excellent seller in Europe. And that the model going on sale if VERY different to the one on sale previously.

You have NEVER driven the mondeo model that will be on sale here so you hardly qualify to make comments. Please follow your own advice.
Piotr,

He was comparing his old Peugeot to the OLD Mondeo. He has driven and owned both, so he can compare. He also now owns a Mazda6, so once again he can compare the ST24 to the new Mazda6. Could that be the reason he said the Mondeo would need to be much improved over the old model?

He also mentioned it would be competitive - price being the main issue.

So, what are you arguing about?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #26
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My apologies to everyone else on here. I'm sick of getting targeted by a certain person on these forums- no prize for guessing who.... Hence why I made a very short sharp reply yesterday.

Piotr - grow up, get a life, move on .... whatever.... if you bothered to read the whole thread instead of constantly being an argumentative appendage then you have understood what I had said.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #27
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Try reading the whole lot next time. And as you said YOU'VE never driven one so YOU are hardly qualified to make any comments.... Did you also read the part about my OLDER Peugeot running rings around my NEWER ST24? Guess not....

For your information we got the HB, HC, HD and HE model Mondeos here - that's a fair few updates. The ST24 was the top of the range as far as sports models went in the HE range, so strangely enough I expected it to handle well off the showroom floor compared to my five year older Peugeot 306.

BTW Commodores are popular here - does that make them a good drive? :

Think before you type.
Stop living in the past, you've missed out on a whole generation of Mondeo. The current (MK III) Mondeo is a fantastic vehicle and there is every chance the next will be even better.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #28
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could try reading the whole thread too....