Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 12-09-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
zed4life
Starter Motor

Default Starting woes

Greetings all. I've just bought and am restoring an 85 TX5 Ghia for my pensioner father and am noticing an intermittent starting problem.

Symptoms are identical to a flat battery in that not enough juice to starter ie: starter turns very slowly on some key turns "rrrerrerr" however battery is @ ~12.5 when ign off and 13.8 on so battery and charging system OK. Other times engine kicks over freely and starts/idles/runs perfect.

I suspect a dirty connection / failing starter motor/solenoid.

Have :
* cleaned/tightened the battery terminals;
* tried bridging the 12V and starter wires @ ign switch (but can still induce the problem)
* am cleaning the starter motor wiring terminals next then
* replace the starter?

Q: Are the starter motors/soleniod and/or ign switch in these a weak link or is it more likely dirty electrical connections?

EDIT: PS: Are there any wiring diagrams/online service manuals available?

thanks

Last edited by zed4life; 12-09-2005 at 08:48 AM.
zed4life is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id also check the leads and spark plugs if its intermittent just to cover all bases if you already havent. No harm in cleaning stuff but ive never experienced this problem.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it will be the starter motor or the relay but my moneys on it being the starter motor!
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
zed4life
Starter Motor

Where's the starter relay in these things?
zed4life is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 12:00 AM   #5
TXWhat
Power Wanted

Strangely enough i had the same problem...a nice new starter motor did the trick though
88 Telstar Ghia Sedan.....All alpine sound..hu..500w amp..300w 12 inch suub..6x9s custom fitted in front doors...6x9s on parcel shelf...little 4 inch speakers in factory positions in front..Now dropped 1.5 inches..rolling on 16s...need power!
TXWhat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
steelie
Starter Motor

Hey Mate.i have had the same problem with my 86 AS and took it to one of my old
mates who is an Electrician and he said that there were certain cars around the eighty's that had this starting problem and the Telstar is one of those models.
My car would not start easy and would tend not to start when the car is hot.Machanics and RACV all said it would be a starter but my starter was fine.What he did was added a relay and made an egnition wiring-which bypassed the original wiring
which is part of the main engine harness.The problem was that the original wiring was getting old-but is still fine,so now the car starts better then ever and cost me $50.
steelie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post