Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post "Ford has thrown its weight behind a car-sharing scheme

"Ford has thrown its weight behind a car-sharing scheme intended to shake up the airport parking and car hire establishment.

Carhood is an audacious arrangement offering drivers free parking while hiring their cars out to strangers for a share of the profit.

Having started in Melbourne, the group expanded to Brisbane and Sydney this year with the blessing of one of the world's largest car companies. Ford will supply the car-sharing concern with thirty vehicles spread across the NSW, Victorian and Queensland capitals in warehouses within striking distance of major airports.

Customers can rent a modern automatic hatch such as a Hyundai i30 for about $30 per day – around one third of what Thrifty, Hertz and Budget charge for the same vehicle. Ford's full-sized Everest Trend costs $65 for a day – well less than equivalent SUVs offered by established hire car companies.

Drivers park for free while receiving a 25 per cent share of earnings if their vehicle is hired by fellow travellers. Ford customers get 35 per cent back, as well as a 10 per cent discount when they hire Ford vehicles. The service includes transfers to airport terminals, a free car wash and quick safety check. Insurance is provided by Carhood, which covers vehicles worth up to $100,000.

Sydney customer Angus Bisset occasionally rents out his Fiat Panda using Carhood.

"I looked at hiring a car on Google and just kind of stumped across it," he says.

"I found out that you get free parking so I dropped my car off in Sydney for a couple of weeks. I made the money back and paid for my flights which was great."

Ford Australia President Graeme Whickman says the move reflects Ford's ability to look after customers in the future.

"Ford has one foot in today, delivering our core business, and one foot in tomorrow, anticipating the future needs of customers through our Ford Smart Mobility plan," he says.

"Our unique partnership with Carhood combines both, allowing people to experience our world-class vehicles while making our customers' lives better through easier, more affordable airport parking."

Carhood co-founder Steve Johnson says the service is an efficient use of resources that allows people to save money when parking and renting out cars.

"Australia's airport parking is some of the most expensive in the world - It's absolutely astronomical," he says.

"We know there are about 5000 odd cars sitting idle at the airport at any time. What we're doing is taking these idle cars and sharing them out to passengers."
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...19-gq8yuv.html
Old 20-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: "Ford has thrown its weight behind a car-sharing scheme

I wonder who's insurance they use when hiring your car out, yours or theirs?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I wonder who's insurance they use when hiring your car out, yours or theirs?
That is exactly what I was thinking.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It says they have their own insurance
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who in their right mind would rent their own car out to anyone? As far as I'm concerned, nobody drives my car but me, myself and I.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

well apparently not ford employees as company lease cars are not allowed to participate in this scheme
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Who in their right mind would rent their own car out to anyone? As far as I'm concerned, nobody drives my car but me, myself and I.
Korean car owners...cheap so and so's
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have I go this right. If I own an i30 I can rent it out to complete strangers for $7.50 a day for the privilege of free parking and a car wash. I will pass.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Letting other people kill your car for no money has been around for years...it's called Uber.

Most car loving people on this forum wouldn't let their best mate drive their car let alone a random stranger.
But some people will use it to hunt pokemons or something and call it innovation.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

And another one like this here:

https://www.carnextdoor.com.au

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #11
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
+1, and who knows what the car may end up being used for.. Bank job, drive-by, or body transport. And who foots the responsibility if it gets flashed by speed cameras or evades police. Owner could potentially be arrested for doing nothing wrong.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reminds of the Seinfeld episode where the dodgy valet parking was renting out their cars.
And another where the dry-cleaner was renting out their clothes.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Have I go this right. If I own an i30 I can rent it out to complete strangers for $7.50 a day for the privilege of free parking and a car wash. I will pass.
Even better, for that $7.50 you can incur parking and speed-camera fines, and simultaneously void both your insurance and your warranty.
Old 20-07-2016, 11:26 PM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Sydney customer Angus Bisset occasionally rents out his Fiat Panda using Carhood.
Well obviously.
If you own a Fiat Panda you're looking for any opportunity to get it written off or stolen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
"I found out that you get free parking so I dropped my car off in Sydney for a couple of weeks. I made the money back and paid for my flights which was great."
Pig's bum.
Even if they rent your Panda out for $40 a day, EVERY day you're gone. (Maybe Chines tourists like Pandas?) that's $10 for you, over two weeks is $140.
What does that get you? A return ticket to Wollongong?
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #15
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Letting other people kill your car for no money has been around for years...it's called Uber.

Most car loving people on this forum wouldn't let their best mate drive their car let alone a random stranger.
But some people will use it to hunt pokemons or something and call it innovation.
But we begrudgingly hand over the keys to the wife, while we are visibly cringing then rock backwards and forwards huddled up in a ball in the corner till she comes home again.....

Then break down crying in front of the car telling it "I'll never put you through that again".
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the website:

Quote:
100% free insurance for all owners & renters - Your peace of mind is priceless. So we don't charge for it. Every single booking on Carhood is covered by our Carhood Insurance Guarantee at no cost to you. Travel stress free. You deserve it.

Coverage that covers all - A $35,000,000 insurance policy is unprecedented in the car rental industry. You're part of the Carhood now, and we look out for our neighbourhood.

Secure A+++ Backing - Carhood has partnered with Lumley Insurance, one of the worlds most reputable car insurers in the industry. So in the rare event that something goes wrong, you'll know that you're covered.

Although you're unlikely to experience any issues with car damage on Carhood, we understand that you need protection. The Carhood Insurance Guarantee will reimburse you for damage to your car up to $35,000,000 AUD. It's the latest example of Carhood's commitment to creating a safe and trusted community within Australia.

Every rental is insured up to $35 million, and every renter is pre-screened. Members get free parking, a car wash, and get paid if their car is rented out. Approved members renting with Carhood get the lowest rental rates guaranteed, with free insurance and no fees. It’s free to join!
Quite honestly, if your car isn't your hobby, and you fly a lot, it's not a bad.

I also doubt that old mate had his flights paid for (perhaps if you take into account the amount saved on airport parking?), but I'd definitely consider hiring one of these if I was traveling and needed a car. $46 a day for a 2016 Mondeo? Count me in.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Well obviously.
If you own a Fiat Panda you're looking for any opportunity to get it written off or stolen.
Pig's bum.
Even if they rent your Panda out for $40 a day, EVERY day you're gone. (Maybe Chines tourists like Pandas?) that's $10 for you, over two weeks is $140.
What does that get you? A return ticket to Wollongong?
But actually, as a business proposition, you could acquire an unloved car or a couple of unloved cars, such as a fleet of a few $500 AU Falcons , put a few in each city, and you could be netting some lazy income in no time.
Old 21-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
From the website:
The fine print:

Quote:
5.6. Your cover for damage to the Vehicle, its theft and third party loss under Carhood's Insurance Policy is conditional
upon:
(a) damage to the Vehicle, theft of the Vehicle and third party loss occurring during the Period of Cover; and
(b) You or any Authorised Driver not being in breach of the Listing Agreement or Rental Agreement.
(Authorised Driver being "all Carhood employees and directors with a valid full driver’s licence; and Renters with a valid Rental Agreement during the Rental Period."). Ergo, if a renter is in breach of the Rental Agreement, e.g., by taking your car to a track day, you're not covered.

Quote:
5.10. Damage Cover for the Vehicle does not include:
(a) loss of use, depreciation, wear and tear, rust or corrosion or reduction in value;
(b) mechanical, electrical or computer breakdowns, failures or breakages;
(c) damage as a result of lawful seizure or impounding;
(d) repairs carried out without Carhood's consent;

(e) the cost of repair of old damage, faulty workmanship or incomplete repairs that were in existence prior to the
Accident;
(f) damage to tyres by braking or by punctures, cuts or bursts; or
(g) damage if the Vehicle is not locked.
So if somebody decides to take your car to Dodgy Brothers Mechanicals without the consent of Carhood, and your car is damaged, you're not covered. Likewise, if your car was scratched in the process of, or while it has been impounded, you're not covered. They could slash your tyres, and you're not covered.

Quote:
10. Limitation of Carhood’s liability
10.1. Carhood excludes liability outside negligence for mechanical damage to your vehicle.
10.2. Carhood excludes liability for all minor scratches, dints under 5cms in length or diameter.
10.3. To the greatest extent allowable by law, Carhood excludes liability for loss or damage the Vehicle as a result of cleaning the Vehicle unless such damage occurred as the result of gross negligence
"Outside negligence" .... if it's a deliberate and malicious act, it's not negligence.

"Minor scratches under 5cm" may require re-spraying the panel, blending the paint into surrounding panels, then the re-application of any paint protection product which you may have on your car, costing you hundreds if not thousands.

I could go on ...
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 21-07-2016 at 01:13 PM.
NX74205 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #19
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

All these schemes fail over time because of dishonesty. It sounds like a good theory Uber, letting others rent your unused car or house etc UNTIL a problem happens and someone suffers loss or injury and insurance/lawyers and govt gets involved. There are rules and regulations which have been introduced in the past exactly because of this, just because something is on an App or new and cool doesn't mean it is legal and trouble free.

Who pays if the car has a bald tire and the cops get you, or worse it could be unregistered. Not intentionally but a car can get unregistered for unpaid parking fines while the owner is on holidays, what if it breaks down and the renter misses an important deal, who is liable?

Our company has spare taxis to rent to other owners when theirs is crashed...rent one out and it comes back with another gearbox with triple the kms. You really do need to check everything and trust no one these days.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #20
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Our company has spare taxis to rent to other owners when theirs is crashed...rent one out and it comes back with another gearbox with triple the kms. You really do need to check everything and trust no one these days.
Lol that's hilarious. Always wondered if renting with zero access liability means one could technically return the car with components with triple the kms.
Old 22-07-2016, 02:58 AM   #21
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
But we begrudgingly hand over the keys to the wife, while we are visibly cringing then rock backwards and forwards huddled up in a ball in the corner till she comes home again.....

Then break down crying in front of the car telling it "I'll never put you through that again".
Let my wife drive my car once, was the best thing I ever did- she won't go near it ever again

Actually, no one I know will drive my car nor volunteer to be a passenger in any car I pilot.

I'm a newly registered "zero hero" too!

Edit- they'll be super annoyed if I win the year of free fuel! haha, that'll cost 'em
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #22
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Lol that's hilarious. Always wondered if renting with zero access liability means one could technically return the car with components with triple the kms.
Pretty sad that people do this...you gotta mark everything.
Hertz etc use datadots and RFID tags I have heard.
Old 22-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #23
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Uber, letting others rent your unused car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
You understand how Uber works right? I'm sure as a Taxi driver that you do, but you don't actually drive other peoples cars with Uber, THEY drive you in their own car.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post