Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Wink "dangerous mixing of fumes"

So on the way home from work this afternoon I stopped at a BP servo to fill up my BA which is dual fuel.

A fill of LPG and about $20 of unleaded to shut the annoying low-fuel alarm up, and let the LPG system do it's usual start up routine. That 1/4 tank of petrol lasts for ages.

Usually I have no trouble filling both at the same time, and never have, at a wide range of servos. Today however I was told I was not allowed to do that because "the fumes can mix and be dangerous".

LMAO.

Next time, I must wait until one was finished and then do the other instead of the console operator simply authorising two pumps and get it done a bit quicker.

I was quite surprised and a bit amused at the reason given, especially with 7 1/2 years of petroleum industry experience behind me in operations and retail. When I said I'd never heard of such an interesting rule in those 7 1/2 years the console operator stated one of the reps told them.

I lol'ed.

Perhaps my industry experience has too much rust on it for these modern times, anyone heard of this little rule?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "dangerous mixing of fumes"

Snicker all you like at him but I suppose the operator is erring on the side of caution based on what he's been told and you can't blame him for that
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

new to me but i guess he was just following what he has been told. i cant see to many fumes mixing because the lpg is a closed system. if fumes are escaping from lpg then something hasnt sealed and pump normally would not work from my experiance.

filling one car with both petrol and lpg at same time would be no different than having a car parked on each side of bowser and filling both cars at same time . that happens thousands of times a day.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
4 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so u have to wait for the servo to empty so the next person can fill up,why dont we put a static earth strap on the car everytime we fill up as well
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

both products are hydrocarbons so nothing will happen when they are mixed, more likely they have been given that story because fear will motivate better than the fact! idea being you cant be concentrating on two pumps running. right or wrong the fumes mixing wont do anything. the old valiant coming in behind you with ignition sparks flying all over the engine bay would be a much higher risk than any of this including your mobile.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

working in the exploration side of oil and gas industry ... please explain where does either come from?
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief View Post
working in the exploration side of oil and gas industry ... please explain where does either come from?
Great laugh at the OP.

Yes, both are a by-product of crude oil.
No different to petrol & diesel fumes mixing, another by-product of crude oil.

You'd better not fill up your petrol car, while a diesel car/truck next to you is filling up either.

Natural Gas & petrol possibly, but not Liquid Petroleum Gas & petrol.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

From Shell.....

Quote:
Provided that each pump is attend to by an adult and if it physically possible to do so, then you may simultaneously fill in your car with both LPG and Petrol.

I will stress again that it is important that each pump is attend to, so you will need two people - one attending each pump.
Kind Regards,

Gleny

Shell Technical Helpdesk
The Shell Company of Australia Limited (ABN 46 004 610 459)
GPO Box 872K, Melbourne VIC 3001
Tel: 1300 134 205 (Option 2)

Email: technical-au@shell.com
Internet: www.shell.com.au <http://www.shell.com.au>

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 05-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well that makes more sense, that each pump needs to be attended. The idea of the fumes mixing and becoming dangerous made me have a good laugh though. If that were the case I imagine they would separate the pumps anyway
Old 05-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Reminded me of the time that we filled my mates mini cooper (2 petrol tanks) from 2 pumps and the console operator only charged us for one pump as he couldnt keep track of 2 pumps. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

If an LPG gas tanker is onsite refueling the servo. I can't go onto the forecourt in my petrol tanker and vice versa, unless the vehicles can remain 15 meters apart. And both can be driven off site in a forward direction with no reversing. But fueling up your car, not a problem.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LPG is heavier than air and petrol fumes are lighter than air so not much mixing would happen. LPG filling is also closed circuit so the only gas that escapes is a small amount when you unscrew the filler nozzle. No big deal.

I had a garage worker tell me one day to remove a metal can from the back of my utility before I filled it because of static charge. When I said that it was metal to metal contact and exactly the same as filling the tank of my car he said to take it out anyway. I said ok and asked if he would make the bunch of school kids present stop smoking while I filled it and he said that they were more than the required distance from the pump and they could keep smoking. When I pointed out that they were sitting on the concrete pad beneath his bulk LPG tank I had to laugh at the look on his face.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Their play ground their rules
Closed
Closed Thread