Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #31
feebs
BrwnBstd

some insurances compaines stopped insuring asbestos workers in 1918.

It is a tradegy that we kept using it to such an extent, ships, houses, space suits, cars. etc. there was no substitute product for insulation,, and probably still isn't.

In wa there are entire suburbs with asbestos houses/ fences and schools.. not to mention a town that has now been stricken off the map.

Many goldfields nickel mines have a level of asbestos contamination.. but this level is lower than being in the middle of the cdb on a calm day (or at least it was in the late 80's).
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 04:23 AM   #32
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

feebs, there's quite a few alternatives to asbestos but as I said, cost is the biggest factor in why it was used for so long after they found out about its ill-effects.

There are places it can be used safely but the widespread use of it in a civil setting was what caused us this huge problem.

What I dislike most is ignorant builders and home handymen who deliberate ignore local laws and put their neighbours at risk by doing their own asbestos removal. Its just plain stupid to do.
Old 23-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #33
GT-E

When I was doing my Mechanics apprenticship in 1987, we were taught to wash down the brakes with water or brakeklene and not to use compressed air. The mechanics in the workshop continued to blow them off creating a huge cloud of dust. They told me it was not harmful as it was heated by the brakes and that only roof aspestos was bad.
I look back now and wished I had insisted they do not blow the brakes out as I remember the huge clouds of dust in the workshop.

I guess I am also waiting to get aspestosis.